HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grabovski bought out

Old
07-04-2013, 10:16 PM
Paris in Flames

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
Didn't Carlyle screw around with Lupul when he was with the Ducks?
Sure did. Believe the basic idea of it was that Carlyle said Lupul wasn't good enough to play LW in a top 6 role.

He knocked that one out of the park.

Paris in Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:18 PM
Eternal Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
I love it. Rip a player a little bit and say he won't fit well and somehow I have a grudge. The guy's a quitter. That's my opinion and I've given examples why I have that belief on him. I'm not the only one btw. It's ok to disagree on players. Nonis and Carlyle are two pretty respected guys in the hockey world. I'm with them on this. You wanna have an opposite opinion, that's cool too. As for the Wings they need a top 6 player. My opinion is Grabovski just isn't that guy.
I get that you have your opinion on him, and I think it is fair to say he reacted badly by ripping the coach on the way out, but I also don't blame him. I think everyone knew how he felt before today if you followed the Leafs at all. You said yourself you could see the shootout example when he just went out and didn't even try. It happens in sports, though. And I definitely think Carlyle should shoulder some of the negativity, too. What if we used Brunner in a shut down role? Repeatedly, despite showing promise in a top 6 role? I think he would likely fail. I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave in a huff if he was put in that situation. Every player has a strength, and it is the coaches job to maximize it. Using Grabo in the bottom 6 when you already have guys like McClement, Komarov, Orr, McLaren, etc. down there bruising around just doesn't make sense. Maybe if you want a 3rd scoring line, but not to play defensive/ checking hockey with that lot.

Eternal Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:19 PM
SportsballChic
Rookie User

Quote:
I love it. Rip a player a little bit and say he won't fit well and somehow I have a grudge. The guy's a quitter. That's my opinion and I've given examples why I have that belief on him. I'm not the only one btw. It's ok to disagree on players. Nonis and Carlyle are two pretty respected guys in the hockey world. I'm with them on this. You wanna have an opposite opinion, that's cool too. As for the Wings they need a top 6 player. My opinion is Grabovski just isn't that guy.
Not picking on you, but are you SURE it's not Carlyle?

This doesn't sound like the player you described:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl99j...ABDA0F8A9164D4

Now, obviously something changed. Seems like Wilson/The 2010 Leafs loved him.

Dunno; certainly not picking on you but I live in Toronto. Most of my friends are Leafs fans. I've been asking all day; none of them think you're right. Agree to disagree? Not worth fighting over anyways.

SportsballChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:20 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

vCash: 50
What do you think fellows, should we have picked him up off waivers? I feel like we're not going to get him cheaper, especially if Weiss is commanding 6 million.

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:21 PM
wingz rule

Quote:
Remember the game where the penalty shots went into like the 10th guy and Grabovski wasnt even put out there? You know, when he was collecting those slivers? Then the next game they sent him out and he literally never even tried on his attempt. Just kind of let the puck roll off his stick..

That was it for me.. No respect for a guy like that. Then in the playoffs where he was asked to be shut down guy and came up combined with Kulemin for a -17...

Yea, that's a guy who hasnt quit on his teammates. His comments today show exactly what he was thinking during the season.

There's a reason he was stapled to the bench. If people dont want to see that, sobeit. Someone is gonna sign him. Just hope things go his way because if they dont, good luck.

Two things I cannot stand about players. Quitter and whiners. Grabovski has shown me both in the last few months.
he went -10 in playoffs, because he was being misused. He was told to play a different game and he tried, obviously he just wasn't very good at it. In the playoffs he was one of the leafs top 3 forwards imo he just wasn't getting the bounces. He complained after he was bought out but when he was part of the team, he did as he was asked, just wasn't very good at it.

wingz rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:23 PM
Eternal Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg Yzerman View Post
What do you think fellows, should we have picked him up off waivers? I feel like we're not going to get him cheaper, especially if Weiss is commanding 6 million.
I don't think you can claim off waivers if it is a CBO, you have to allow him to be bought out.

And I hope that since he is getting paid by the Leafs on the side, his salary with his new team will be a little lower than market value.

Old
07-04-2013, 10:29 PM
SportsballChic
Rookie User

So, I know someone already posted the 2011-2012 video, but here's the year before as well:

And yes, before you ask: I spend a ridiculous amount of time watching videos of hockey players. lol #addiction.

Old
07-04-2013, 10:33 PM
Jurky
Nightmare on Helm St

vCash: 77
Quote:
If they had the option of claiming him off of waivers they should've, IMO he'll get around the same amount + term again. Personally I'd love him at 4x4 but I'd go up to 5x5 if it was needed.

Jurky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:36 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsballChic View Post
So, I know someone already posted the 2011-2012 video, but here's the year before as well:

And yes, before you ask: I spend a ridiculous amount of time watching videos of hockey players. lol #addiction.
I'm sold. He'd arguably be our 3rd or 4th best forward. All in for Gabbo.

Vladdy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:36 PM
Wolverine Wings
#thankyoubasedgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
I don't think you can claim off waivers if it is a CBO, you have to allow him to be bought out.

And I hope that since he is getting paid by the Leafs on the side, his salary with his new team will be a little lower than market value.
Actually, not true. They are put on waivers first if they are a CB, and any team except the one who bought them out can claim their contract and take over their full cap hit. The general thinking is that if a player is compliance bought out, their cap hits are particularly bad and they will easily clear waivers.

At least that is my understanding.

Wolverine Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:38 PM
Eternal Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MGoBlue2 View Post
Actually, not true. They are put on waivers first if they are a CB, and any team except the one who bought them out can claim their contract and take over their full cap hit. The general thinking is that if a player is compliance bought out, their cap hits are particularly bad and they will easily clear waivers.

Yeah, I'm not 100% either so you could be right. Anyone feel like using google?

Old
07-04-2013, 10:42 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Not why I want him, but can already see the HBO 24/7 guys praying he winds up here. Especially with as boring as our guys can be at times, might be the best soundbite they can find.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:43 PM
SimplySolace

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not 100% either so you could be right. Anyone feel like using google?
If you have a NMC you don't have to be placed on waivers.

For example, https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/s...03704013901825

SimplySolace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:45 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MGoBlue2 View Post

IIRC if a player has a NMC then they can decide not to waive it & they go straight to FA.

DatsyukToZetterberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:47 PM
Jurky
Nightmare on Helm St

vCash: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySolace View Post
If you have a NMC you don't have to be placed on waivers.

For example, https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/s...03704013901825
Does that also apply to NTCs, cause according to capgeek Grabo had a NTC not a NMC.

Jurky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:48 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Not why I want him, but can already see the HBO 24/7 guys praying he winds up here. Especially with as boring as our guys can be at times, might be the best soundbite they can find.
So psyched for 24/7.

Vladdy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:54 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
I get that you have your opinion on him, and I think it is fair to say he reacted badly by ripping the coach on the way out, but I also don't blame him. I think everyone knew how he felt before today if you followed the Leafs at all. You said yourself you could see the shootout example when he just went out and didn't even try. It happens in sports, though. And I definitely think Carlyle should shoulder some of the negativity, too. What if we used Brunner in a shut down role? Repeatedly, despite showing promise in a top 6 role? I think he would likely fail. I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave in a huff if he was put in that situation. Every player has a strength, and it is the coaches job to maximize it. Using Grabo in the bottom 6 when you already have guys like McClement, Komarov, Orr, McLaren, etc. down there bruising around just doesn't make sense. Maybe if you want a 3rd scoring line, but not to play defensive/ checking hockey with that lot.
I agree, sure.. but it's not as though he was just sent to the bottom six for the playoffs. The guy has been always praised for being a two way player. He sulked all year though. He played like a player that felt he was entitled but was thoroughly outplayed by both Kadri and Bozak. It's hard to say things when your teams winning though and that's to his credit for not doing so but you could see it in his efforts some nights. That' why he was benched numerous times. Then come the playoffs and he's asked to do what it takes for his team to win and he goes out and lays an egg. He's definitely NOT a Carlyle guy and that's fair too. That's when you make the best of it or become that guy. Honestly, we're part of a very humble sport where guys always take the high road. Grabovski wasnt that type of guy today either.

Just my two cents from someone who watches both the Leafs and the Wings daily. Babcock would have a field day with him. It would be a horrible fit.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:55 PM
SportsballChic
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladdy84 View Post
Mule: Dur.... I buy loads of liquor at supermarket (heard this from a friend who witnessed it)
Orly? Hrmm, explains some things:

Old
07-04-2013, 11:01 PM
SportsballChic
Rookie User

Quote:
He played like a player that felt he was entitled but was thoroughly outplayed by both Kadri and Bozak.
The advanced numbers don't agree with you:

http://www.mc79hockey.com/?p=6207

http://theleafsnation.com/2012/8/20/...y-of-centremen

Old
07-04-2013, 11:04 PM
KJoe88
Dats n Tats

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsballChic View Post

That second shootout goal is beautiful.

KJoe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:40 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

I'm still on board. Yeah, Grabovski had problems with Carlyle, but I don't think that means he'll have problems with Babcock. Having tried to read up on it, I feel like it was a situation where Carlyle had problems with Grabo as well, and so it ended up very messy with Carlyle burying Grabo on a checking line when he absolutely did not deserve it.

I also don't really think problems with one coach means you're a quitter or anything like that, and from all accounts Grabo was well-liked by his teammates and former coaches. I could see Babcock getting on perfectly well with Grabo, as he's a two-way guy and will shoot the puck.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:46 PM
Huge Jackman
Really, I'm fine....

Quote:

Not sure why, but I read that and thought "Jiri Hudler".

He may be exactly what we need and the chemistry with Pav is a bonus, but I'm a bit leery of someone who rips the coach a new one as the door hits his backside.

Also, the one cardinal rule on a Babcock team and the one sure way to succeed is to play the role Babcock puts you in, without question or complaint. That is exactly how Cleary has lasted this long with us. Not sure Grabo can do that from what I've read.

Huge Jackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:55 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

vCash: 50
You'd think we could traded for him for nothing then.

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:00 AM
Eternal Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbourne Ice View Post
Not sure why, but I read that and thought "Jiri Hudler".

He may be exactly what we need and the chemistry with Pav is a bonus, but I'm a bit leery of someone who rips the coach a new one as the door hits his backside.

Also, the one cardinal rule on a Babcock team and the one sure way to succeed is to play the role Babcock puts you in, without question or complaint. That is exactly how Cleary has lasted this long with us. Not sure Grabo can do that from what I've read.
I would be more hesitant if he had the rep of a Kostitsyn / Radulov with the whole going out late or being supposedly involved in Montreal nightlife or whatever, but all I've ever heard or seen about him is that he wants to win and score. He works his tail off from what I've seen (I live in GTA and am surrounded by Leaf media 24/7). It was almost 100% love for him in my experience with Leaf fans, and even the xenophobes couldn't deny his skill and effort. They'd just rather have a good ol' Canadian boy like Ryan Getzlaf or whoever, because they are stuck in the 50s. (Not comparing Getz and Grabo)

Old
07-05-2013, 12:01 AM
Eternal Sunshine

Quote:
You'd think we could traded for him for nothing then.
Kenny would never take that contract on. If we get him, it will be for less money and term than his previous contract.

Fear the cap!