HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

My Leafs- Post CBA

Closed Thread

Old
06-21-2005, 10:54 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
If you were a Hab or Sens fan would you stay at home?
Well I wouldn't tell anyone if I was, that's for sure if that's what you mean ??

Something's are better left unsaid ..

That's okay really .. as the saying goes " Keep your friends close and your Enemies closer" and its nice that they offer home delivery service..

Last edited by Mess: 06-21-2005 at 11:11 PM.
Old
06-21-2005, 11:57 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor_deen
Why not sign David Ling? The guy was great for the Baby Buds and developed some chemistry with Welly. Put him out there with Welly and he'll drop 'em if anyone takes a run at the kid.
Check this out

Quote:

Shedden signs in Finland
BRIEFLY

The Marlies could lose their scoring leader, David Ling, who had 28 goals and 60 assists last season with St. John's. The free agent is considering playing in Europe and could end up with Shedden in Helsinki.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...97862-sun.html

Old
06-22-2005, 12:06 AM
Trevor_deen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Check this out
Oh boourns, thanks for the find.

Old
06-22-2005, 12:21 AM
Mat

Send a message via AIM to Mat Send a message via MSN to Mat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Pagan
Winning what exactly? Regular season games and a playoff round or two?
thats more than '1st round knockouts' montreal or ottawa can say for themselves

Old
07-11-2005, 09:54 PM
Vincent_TheGreat

Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
I like the overall roster, I might change some things here and there, but definitely liking it. Possible to keep Mogilny at a low price.

Old
07-13-2005, 09:30 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

McCabe-Kaberle
Berg-Pilar
Klee-Carlo

Rotation: Kronwall, Harrison, Moro, White

Berg, Pilar, Kaberle, Kronwall all played full seasons last year in Europe.

White and Carlo played in the minors.

Klee and McCabe lost a year, but with Klee's injury history it was probably a good thing.

Old
07-13-2005, 11:28 PM
Rakiet*

I don't know where to post this so here is where it will go..

I was watching CTV sportsnet and the sms message ticker said at the bottom: Leafs belong in the OHL

LMFAO!!!! I almost spit my drink all over the floor...hahahaha

and they do! LOL LOL LOL

Old
07-13-2005, 11:36 PM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakiet
I don't know where to post this so here is where it will go..

I was watching CTV sportsnet and the sms message ticker said at the bottom: Leafs belong in the OHL

LMFAO!!!! I almost spit my drink all over the floor...hahahaha

and they do! LOL LOL LOL
It makes me happy that simple folk can be happy despite their limitations.

Old
07-14-2005, 03:29 AM
Rusty Shackleford
Leafs Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc2005
First of all, kudos to everyone who has posted here that realizes the Leafs have some serious challenges facing them, and they can only be hindered by the introduction of a salary cap. They could have prepared for this, and I thought they would when they hired JFJ, but he just continued the Leafs' pattern of trading away youth and picks for old guys, like Leetch and Francis.

He might have learned his lesson, and who knows, years from now when all the albatross contracts are gone the Leafs might have some decent youth coming into the league and will have room to add a few key players through UFA. But as for next season...

When you have 8 guys tying up 75% of your salary cap, you're in trouble. The only ways around it are to trade what little talent you have left for nothing, or to start buying people out, which reduces your talent even further and will still probably count towards a cap, or insert a bunch of young cheap guys into the lineup.

This is the wackiest thing I've ever read anywhere, and does nothing to help with the theory that certain Leaf fans just don't get it, are in denial about what's about to happen, or just plain think that everything will always be happy and lovely in Leafland:

The Leafs were nowhere close to winning the Cup last year, so brilliant idea to bring back the same crew of old guys, after somehow convincing everyone to take a 50% pay cut to play one more year on an even older team that still has no chance at winning a Cup.

The Leafs will not be signing Pronger, Niedermayer, Kariya, Allison, and Lindros. They will not get everyone to voluntarily take pay cuts after the NHLPA has already agreed to slash everyone's salary. And there will be no magical way to avoid a $36 million salary cap gutting a once-decent hockey team.

What will happen is the Leafs will be forced to take a bunch of players from their 27th ranked prospect pool and insert them into prime time roles. Doesn't sound like a recipie for success if you ask me.

And contrary to popular belief, because the Leafs exceeded expectations 7 years ago with three young D men, that shows no proof whatsoever that Mats & Eddie + a bunch of schlubs will be in any way successful this season. Use your heads.
There's no question the Habs will have some talented teams in the future but makes you think Ryder and Ribeiro will have repeat seasons? And you guys still have to sign Koivu and Theodore that'll cost you some money we don't have anybody else that's a must need to re-sign I think the Leafs will put a competitive team on the ice and we will challenge for the Northeast division championship and will have a better team then the Canadiens.

Old
07-14-2005, 11:01 AM
Leaf Army

Now that we know the cap will be $39 million I thought I'd post my team again with a few changes.

Steen- $0.8 million
Ponikarovsky- $0.9
Tucker- $1.6
Kilger- $0.5
Sundin- $6.8
Allison- $2.5
Stajan- $0.8
Wellwood- $0.5
Lindros- $1.0
Antropov- $0.9
Nieuwendyk- $1.5
Roberts- $1.5
Kaberle- $2.2
McCabe- $3.5
Klee- $1.9
Berg- $0.9
Colaiacovo- $0.8
Pilar- $0.5
Belfour $4.5
Tellqvist- $0.5
Domi- $0.5
Belak- $0.9
Foote- $2.5
Total= $38 million

Lineup

Roberts---------Sundin----Lindros
Ponikarovsky----Allison----Antropov
Stajan-------Nieuwendyk---Tucker
Steen---------Wellwood----Domi

Kaberle-----McCabe
Foote-------Berg
Colaiacovo--Klee

Belfour
Tellqvist

Spares:
Kilger
Belak
Pilar

Notes....

- I'm certainly not counting on Foote signing in Toronto, but it would be nice. Or Rathje instead but obviously not likely either. If it's neither of those guys, insert another tough, stay at home defenceman there who's capable of playing top four minutes.

- I think Colaiacovo and Klee would be a nice second pairing on the PP.

- Murphy, Fulghum, Wilm, Kukumberg, Ondrus and maybe Williams would all be potential callups on forward from the farm. So we would have some depth for when injuries strike.

- Only problem is that forward group is a little light on penalty killers. That might explain the rumours we heard with Samuelsson. Also as much as I want Wellwood to be on the big team, I wouldn't be shocked to see a guy like Wilm get that spot instead because he's a better penalty killer.

Thoughts on this lineup......?

Old
07-14-2005, 11:39 AM
Vexatious Comment

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4
...would be beaten down like a narc at biker rally.
lol... great simile.

Old
07-14-2005, 11:44 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
Now that we know the cap will be $39 million I thought I'd post my team again with a few changes.

Lineup

Kaberle-----McCabe
Foote-------Berg
Colaiacovo--Klee

Belfour
Tellqvist

Spares:
Kilger
Belak
Pilar

Notes....

- I'm certainly not counting on Foote signing in Toronto, but it would be nice. Or Rathje instead but obviously not likely either. If it's neither of those guys, insert another tough, stay at home defenceman there who's capable of playing top four minutes.

Thoughts on this lineup......?
I think its excellent and my wishes would be very close ..

I would try to get Rathje by letting Berg walk as a RFA ..

The Leafs lunch guys just spoke on the Leafs line-up and suggested that by buying out Nolan his money would almost cover perhaps the resigning or Roberts, Newy and Domi .. They floated the rumour that Roberts has already drawn interest from Ottawa and Detroit .. May have to pass on Domi and move on with younger line-up

Samuelson is a strong possibity and would be a 500-800k player ..

I would focus all attention on Foote as my key #1 UFA, if possible of getting him ..

Allison is interesting .. but with the opening of the game no Red line .. I would perhaps for the same money consider Kariya (a player Quinn had in the last olympics) .. So my Top Line .. Lindros ... Sundin .... Kariya

The Skyline then would be my second line .. and Roberts .. Stajan ... Tucker my 3rd..

Lindros is a very likely addition and the new CBA has eliminated performance bonuses but Lindros was mentioned as an exception to the rule because of injury history ..

Eddie is a keeper .. Watters said his sources are telling him that Detroit intends to buy out Hatcher, Lang and McCarty and sign the Bulin wall at the near 20% player max in the 7+ mil range .. That makes the keeping Eddie even easier then ever to make a case that makes sense .. Adding 2.5 to 3.0 mil to the goalie position to add Khabby and then letting Detroit have a bought out Eddie for cheap..Or worse yet let Ottawa have him so they don't gamble on Hasek.

Last edited by Mess: 07-14-2005 at 11:54 AM.
Old
07-14-2005, 11:48 AM
habfan4

Leaf Army:

Outside of Foote (who I think will get more lucrative offers than $2.5) and the numbers for Nieuwendyk, Roberts and Lindros being a little low, not an unreasonable line up IMO.

One question. Why carry both Belak and Domi, especially with Belak at 900k? (is he under contract?). Why not free up some money by letting Belak go, you can always call up a guy like Perrott if need be.

Old
07-14-2005, 12:03 PM
mydnyte

Quote:
I think its excellent and my wishes would be very close ..

I would try to get Rathje by letting Berg walk as a RFA ..

The Leafs lunch guys just spoke on the Leafs line-up and suggested that by buying out Nolan his money would almost cover perhaps the resigning or Roberts, Newy and Domi .. They floated the rumour that Roberts has already drawn interest from Ottawa and Detroit .. May have to pass on Domi and move on with younger line-up

Samuelson is a strong possibity and would be a 500-800k player ..

I would focus all attention on Foote as my key #1 UFA, if possible of getting him ..

Allison is interesting .. but with the opening of the game no Red line .. I would perhaps for the same money consider Kariya (a player Quinn had in the last olympics) .. So my Top Line .. Lindros ... Sundin .... Kariya

The Skyline then would be my second line .. and Roberts .. Stajan ... Tucker my 3rd..

Lindros is a very likely addition and the new CBA has eliminated performance bonuses but Lindros was mentioned as an exception to the rule because of injury history ..

Eddie is a keeper .. Watters said his sources are telling him that Detroit intends to buy out Hatcher, Lang and McCarty and sign the Bulin wall at the near 20% player max in the 7+ mil range .. That makes the keeping Eddie even easier then ever to make a case that makes sense .. Adding 2.5 to 3.0 mil to the goalie position to add Khabby and then letting Detroit have a bought out Eddie for cheap..Or worse yet let Ottawa have him so they don't gamble on Hasek.
I'd rather have Nolan in my lineup than Gary, Joe and Tie. ...he just needs to restructure things, and has said he'd prefer to stay and suggested that things 'could be worked out'

Old
07-14-2005, 12:03 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Wings would have Lidstrum and Bulin both at 20%?

These teams will make it work, and I'm not aware of any rule stating the salaries have to be paid equally over the length of the contract.

So if they brought in Bulin at 1 million this year, and 20% for subsequent years when other contracts are off the table, I see no problem.

Same with Leafs, Belfour is off the cap next year, so could easily bring in a top end player like Kariya, and give him a low start for this year, and then bump it up next season without Belfour's salary.

Old
07-14-2005, 12:04 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte
I'd rather have Nolan in my lineup than Gary, Joe and Tie. ...he just needs to restructure things, and has said he'd prefer to stay and suggested that things 'could be worked out'

Restructuring is not allowed.

Old
07-14-2005, 12:37 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte
Well I can understand how pro owner types would want that .. But luckily the NHLPA saw the flaw in it to its players and had the no restructuring rules tossed in ..

There will be no brass knuckle tactics in the new CBA.

Maybe the owners pushed for too low a cap to start ?.. Hope the lack of Cap room doesn't come back and bite them when teams are not competitive and they lose money in the process in fickle hockey markets ..

Old
07-14-2005, 12:47 PM
timlap

Quote:

Steen- $0.8 million
Ponikarovsky- $0.9
Tucker- $1.6
Kilger- $0.5
Sundin- $6.8
Allison- $2.5
Stajan- $0.8
Wellwood- $0.5
Lindros- $1.0
Antropov- $0.9
Nieuwendyk- $1.5
Roberts- $1.5
Kaberle- $2.2
McCabe- $3.5
Klee- $1.9
Berg- $0.9
Colaiacovo- $0.8
Pilar- $0.5
Belfour $4.5
Tellqvist- $0.5
Domi- $0.5
Belak- $0.9
Foote- $2.5
Total= $38 million

Lineup

Kaberle-----McCabe
Foote-------Berg
Colaiacovo--Klee

Belfour
Tellqvist

Spares:
Kilger
Belak
Pilar
Seems reasonable, but I echo the point others have made that we are unlikely to get Foote for so little. Could be wrong, but i think it unlikely.

Maybe we should forget about Domi (though I like him) and Pilar, go with 21 players and use the extra million to beef up our offer to Foote, or which ever other defenceman.

Not sure that 2.5 will be enough for Allison, but maybe we'll get lucky.

Old
07-14-2005, 12:53 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlap
Seems reasonable, but I echo the point others have made that we are unlikely to get Foote for so little. Could be wrong, but i think it unlikely.

Maybe we should forget about Domi (though I like him) and Pilar, go with 21 players and use the extra million to beef up our offer to Foote, or which ever other defenceman.

Give Foote a good raise next year, if he's expecting 3.5 per, give him the 2.5 this year, and 4.0 for 2 additional years. Leafs are top heavy for only about a year (excluding Sundin).

Old
07-14-2005, 12:56 PM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
.... forget about Domi (though I like him) and Pilar, .
I like the way you think.

Old
07-14-2005, 01:03 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Outside of Foote (who I think will get more lucrative offers than $2.5) and the numbers for Nieuwendyk, Roberts and Lindros being a little low, not an unreasonable line up IMO.
As for Foote (or Rathje for that matter) I haven't heard anything to suggest that they are interested in leaving Colorado or San Jose. Only thing is a vague reference that Steve Simmons made last year about Foote wanting to come Toronto as a UFA.

So like I said, I'm not counting on either of them but as UFA's I think attempting to get one of those two should be a priority for the Leafs.

If Foote needs more than $2.5, I've still left about a million in cap room. Plus, guys like Berg and Belak who both make close to a million could be candidates for trade or buyout. Even Klee too if that's what it would take.

As for Lindros the last rumour I heard (on TSN) was that Lindros could come as cheaply as the league minimum plus bonuses. Don't know exactly how his contract would work.

Nieuwendyk and Roberts I don't think are too low, but again it's hard to say. Nieuwendyk was a UFA prior to last season and he went almost the whole summer before signing with anyone. I think the Leafs ended up signing him for $2 million or something, so I don't think $1.5 is unreasonable this time around. Roberts should get about the same I think.

Quote:
One question. Why carry both Belak and Domi, especially with Belak at 900k? (is he under contract?). Why not free up some money by letting Belak go, you can always call up a guy like Perrott if need be.
Yes Belak is under contract. I wouldn't be totally upset if one of them wasn't back, but we'll have to see how things shape up. For now it's just as realistic to pencil Belak in there as anyone else.

Quote:
Another one that's hard to predict.

But if that's the case, there'll be other UFA centerman we can look into for about $2.5.

Or we could forget about Allison, go with Sundin/Nieuwendyk/Stajan down the middle and use the $2.5 to help secure the other UFA ideas I had.

If Sundin or Nieuwendyk were to get injured, you'd still have Antropov, Lindros, Steen, Wellwood to fill in at center.

Old
07-14-2005, 01:18 PM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
Give Foote a good raise next year, if he's expecting 3.5 per, give him the 2.5 this year, and 4.0 for 2 additional years. Leafs are top heavy for only about a year (excluding Sundin).
I think (but don't quote me) that the contract will be averaged out in terms of how it counts against the cap.

So that would be 3.5 against the cap each year.

Old
07-14-2005, 01:42 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Reasons why the Leafs will suck, by year:

1998-1999- They're not going anywhere with three rookies on defence. Thomas is washed up and Berezin and Modin are not good enough to be top 6 players.

Result- 97 points

1999-2000- Last year was a fluke. Thomas can't repeat his season and the young players will fall back down to Earth.

Result- 100 points

2000-2001- The Devils dominated the playoff series last year. The other teams have figured out how to play them and the Leafs don't have the ability to compete with the trap.

Result- 90 points

2001-2002- The NHL is cracking down on obstruction. The Leafs rely too heavily on obstruction don't have the speed to compete in the new NHL.

Result- 100 points

2002-2003- The Leafs relied too heavily on Cujo all these years. His loss will finally be their demise. Belfour is washed up and is too old to carry the team like Cujo did.

Result- 98 points

2003-2004- Now they really are too old. They won't be able to handle the long season and they could be out of contention by spring. Don't be surprised to see them selling off assets at the trade deadline.

Result- 103 points

2005-2006- They've lost their "spending advantage" and they're going to have to rely on too many young players. This year really will be their demise (grins and rubs hands together).

Result- ???
result - 93 or so points. look for the Leafs to start slow, but by Feb/March they will be one of the top teams (playing as one of the top teams, not leading the lead in points). Bottom half of the playoff rung, but get through to the 3rd round.

Old
07-14-2005, 01:46 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK
Canadiens fans do this every year, this time they have a new angle.

With Sundin and Belfour around, the Leafs will be good.
And we've been right every year since 1968 (a cup you shouldn't have won).

(glee)

Old
07-14-2005, 01:48 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
And we've been right every year since 1968 (a cup you shouldn't have won).
Habs are now counting time between Cups with decades, get used to it.

Closed Thread