HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

The Top 10 Most Valuable Islanders

Old
07-13-2013, 05:51 PM
periferal

vCash: 500
The Top 10 Most Valuable Islanders

I was thinking...Who are the most "valuable" Islanders right now? By that I mean...Who are the guys helping us the most get closer to a Stanley Cup win?

Here's my list...
  1. John Tavares - No brainer. The highest pole in the Islanders tent. A stud and complete franchise player. The guy all of us thank god Snow drafted in 2009.
  2. Travis Hamonic - Still could improve his overall game, but a rock out there already and could be captain if Tavares wasn't going to be.
  3. Kyle Okposo - Still needs to be more consistent, but took big steps end of last year.
  4. Matt Martin - Will never be a scorer, but brings great intangibles and sets the tone with his physical play.
  5. Casey Cizikas - A perfect 3rd/4th line grinder who has that "X" factor already you look from players who lead both on and off the ice...
  6. Frans Nielson - A little over his head on the 2nd line, but the definition of excellent 3rd line checking center.
  7. Lubomir Visnovsky - Unfortunately probably won't be around when we're competing for the Cup, but right now best offensive defenseman we have.
  8. Josh Bailey - If he could only round out his offensive game and be more consistent he would be a gem. Still his excellent defensive play makes him an asset.
  9. Andrew McDonald - Nothing wow about him, but a steady defender who would be an outstanding 5/6 defenseman if he's around when our youngsters start filling the 1-4 D slots.
  10. Matt Moulson - Pretty useless outside his goal scoring, but last I checked that's kinda important in determining wins.

*Honorable Mention:
Cal Clutterbuck - We need to see him play for the Isles first, but hopefully he meshes right in and becomes the other bookend to Matt Martin's physical/tone-setting play.

*Future Valuables:
Ryan Strome - May be put on Tavares' wing or may be a 2nd line center, but either way the offense he will bring will be a massive help.
Brock Nelson - Lots of potential and size to boot. If Strome isn't our future 2nd line center, Nelson will be.
Anders Nilsson - If back to 100% health this is a massive year for him to show us he's a playoff caliber goalie or we need to explore other options in net.
Griffin Reinhart - Hopefully fulfills his potential as a top pairing defensive defenseman
Ryan Pulock - The best offensive defenseman in the system. When he rounds out his game he will be very valuable for us.
Matt Donovan - I think people are overrating him a bit, but I think he's he's NHL bound.
Calvin deHaan - IF IF IF he can stay healthy, I still believe he will be a smooth/smart top 4 defenseman.
Anders Lee - Could be a nice big body who chips in some goals if he can round out his game.

*Others
Forwards: Sundstrom/Crus-Rydberg/Quine/Cammarata - Hoping all can land NHL gigs, but work to be done.
Defense: Mayfield/Pedan/Pokka/Pelech/Russo - Hopefully one or more emerge as an NHL defender. Good reason to believe that will happen, but our blueline would be too crowded to keep all (a great problem to have)
Goalie: Poulin/Koskinen/McAdam - Longshot for any to become a good NHL goalie, but I certainly hope they all do.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 06:04 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

I have a feeling Strome will rise up that list once he hits the NHL. But for now, I can't disagree with that top 5.

IslesRock4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 06:20 PM
Jester9881

I'd put Cizikas and Nielsen above Martin..... only change I'd make though.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 06:22 PM
19NYSports91

I love Martin but no way he should be #4.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 06:25 PM
OpAck

Grabs would be in my bottom 5. Sure, he's streaky...but due to his speed, he keeps opposing D-men thinking twice about jumping into the play and makes them concentrate on playing smart (AKA no risky cross ice passes, etc).

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 06:34 PM
RMimagery

When you say "right now", especially without Streit...Lubo is in my top 5. Understand your point about winning the cup. That said, we need him to stay healthy or we'll feel his loss big time.

Good list.

RMimagery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 07:04 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
I was thinking...Who are the most "valuable" Islanders right now? By that I mean...Who are the guys helping us the most get closer to a Stanley Cup win?

Here's my list...
My list...

1. John Tavares
2. John Tavares
3. John Tavares
4. John Tavares
5. John Tavares
6. John Tavares
7. John Tavares
8. John Tavares
9. John Tavares
10. John Tavares

I mean, all Islander lists including prospect rankings aren't worth the internet space they are typed on without John Tavares healthy and on the ice for the Islanders.

But seriously.... This is going to be a fluid list that changes A LOT over the next few seasons as prospects arrive and players continue to evolve on the NHL Level but as of RIGHT NOW......

1. John Tavares
2. Travis Hamonic
3. Frans Nielsen
4. Kyles Okposo
5. Josh Bailey
6. Michael Grabner
7. Cal Clutterbuck
8. Casey Cizikas
9. Matt Martin
10. Lubomir Vishnovsky

I don't see Moulson or Amac staying after next season. Some prospects are going to fly up that list and transform it over the next 24 months. Will look different after every month until the team arrives in Brooklyn in a couple seasons.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 07:11 PM
13th Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
My list...

1. John Tavares
2. John Tavares
3. John Tavares
4. John Tavares
5. John Tavares
6. John Tavares
7. John Tavares
8. John Tavares
9. John Tavares
10. John Tavares

I mean, all Islander lists including prospect rankings aren't worth the internet space they are typed on without John Tavares healthy and on the ice for the Islanders.

But seriously.... This is going to be a fluid list that changes A LOT over the next few seasons as prospects arrive and players continue to evolve on the NHL Level but as of RIGHT NOW......

1. John Tavares
2. Travis Hamonic
3. Frans Nielsen
4. Kyles Okposo
5. Josh Bailey
6. Michael Grabner
7. Cal Clutterbuck
8. Casey Cizikas
9. Matt Martin
10. Lubomir Vishnovsky

I don't see Moulson or Amac staying after next season. Some prospects are going to fly up that list and transform it over the next 24 months. Will look different after every month until the team arrives in Brooklyn in a couple seasons.
Not surprised about Moulson, but why do you think Amac would leave? He should and will definitely get a substantial raise, but I don't know why it would be too rich for Snow's blood and why Amac wouldn't be loyal to the team that has really groomed his career, especially as it turns the corner into a contender. Even with the guys coming up, there is definitely room for him on our NHL roster. If he is our #6 defender, we are a cup contender. Interested in your thoughts on it.

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 07:17 PM
DeanCrandall

Top two obviously agree (Hamonic for the long term value), but # 3 I would place Martin, it's about being a game changer and showing heart. The way I look at it, who is replacable. Martin leads the league in hits, good luck trying to replace this. Ask the GMs who would you rather have to fill your roster Martin or Okposo ? Sad part of the list is after these three, everyone else can be replaced, which reduces value.

Almost all have Okposo little too high, playoffs he showed up, but I need to see him prove himself over a period of time. Until he does for what counts the most, putting wins on the books. So I place guys like Visnovsky +12 last year, guy was a stud for us. And Nabokov 23 wins and over .900 save percentage higher then Okposo. Also Nielsen being second center and playing large on the PK

DeanCrandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 08:54 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
My list...

1. John Tavares
2. John Tavares
3. John Tavares
4. John Tavares
5. John Tavares
6. John Tavares
7. John Tavares
8. John Tavares
9. John Tavares
10. John Tavares

1. John Tavares
2. Travis Hamonic
3. Frans Nielsen
4. Kyles Okposo
5. Josh Bailey
6. Michael Grabner
7. Cal Clutterbuck
8. Casey Cizikas
9. Matt Martin
10. Lubomir Vishnovsky

Top 5 is the same as my list. Bottom 5 is different.

6. Visnovsky
7. Grabner
8. Cizikas
9. Martin
10. Clutterbuck

Old
07-13-2013, 09:19 PM
BTrotts19

I would rate Grabs down by #9---he really needs to start converting some of those breakaways, so frustrating to see him get behind the D and have that pit in my stomach knowing he most likely will not convert it. PK is what brings him into the discussion but if he even got 1/2 his breaks into goals, he would be top 5 for sure.

BTrotts19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 10:18 PM
mikeda1940

Seems to me you have to include Nabakov in here somewhere.

mikeda1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 11:25 PM
seafoam
#hewenttoharvard

vCash: 50
I think it's clear JT and Hamonic are the clear cut one and two, but I feel like it's really interchangable after that. I think some combo of Frans, KO, and AMac round out the top five for me.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 12:51 AM
iLandHer

Bailey is 5 spots lower than Okposo, even though he's better than him? Makes no sense.

iLandHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 12:53 AM
19 in a row

Quote:
My list...

1. John Tavares
2. John Tavares
3. John Tavares
4. John Tavares
5. John Tavares
6. John Tavares
7. John Tavares
8. John Tavares
9. John Tavares
10. John Tavares

1. John Tavares
2. Travis Hamonic
3. Frans Nielsen
4. Kyles Okposo
5. Josh Bailey
6. Michael Grabner
7. Cal Clutterbuck
8. Casey Cizikas
9. Matt Martin
10. Lubomir Vishnovsky

I know it may be blasphemous but this is why I want to trade Moulson as soon as is reasonably possible, he has worth now up until the trade deadline, and I don't see him in the long term future for this team.

My list would contain the same ten. The only change in the top 5 I would make would be to slide Frans to 5. I think we know what we have in JT, Hamonic, Frans. I truly believe this team will live or die this year based on how KO and Bailey do, thus my reason for assigning them more value behind just JT and Hamonic. If they both show they are for real this team is a legit playoff team that may get past the first round. If they don't build on last year we may be in for trouble.

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 01:02 AM
Knish Of The Crease

1. Tavares
2. Nabokov
3. Hamonic (when he's not scoring on his own goal)
4. Vis
5. Grabner (I can't believe I put him here, but he is what he is...a 3rd line winger who does his job. Only if he finished a breakaway more)
6. Martin (tough and isnt stupid)
7. Moulson if he's playing on JT's wing
8-10. nobody else is consistent enough to list. I'm not putting Bailey & Okposo on the list until they put togther more than 12 games in a season.

I can't rate Clutterbuck or PMB because I have no clue how they'll be used.

Knish Of The Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 01:47 AM
RMimagery

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ MAC View Post
1. Tavares
2. Nabokov
4. Vis
5. Grabner (I can't believe I put him here, but he is what he is...a 3rd line winger who does his job. Only if he finished a breakaway more)
8-10. nobody else is consistent enough to list. I'm not putting Bailey & Okposo on the list until they put togther more than 12 games in a season.

Amac deserves to be in that 8-10 range for sure. Blocks a ton of shots (finished 2 behind league leader Giradi), lead the team in ice time in the reg season, decent first pass out of the zone/puck mover, plays against top players and is entering his prime. He's undervalued and I think he was greatly missed in games 5 and 6 vs Pitt.

He could maybe even be top 5. It'd be a hard choice to pick one of Amac or Grabner to miss a playoff game. Hope they re-sign him for a decent contract after this season. Could see Strait and Lubo leaving before him, but the young D are coming and other teams will want Amac.

RMimagery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 06:09 AM
Hip Of Rick

If rating for importance for a cup this season

1. Tavares
2. Nabokov
3. Hamonic
4. Visnovsky
5. Nielson
6. Okposo
7. MacDonald
8. Moulson
9. Bailey
10. The rest

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 06:18 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCycleDriveBy View Post
Bailey is 5 spots lower than Okposo, even though he's better than him? Makes no sense.
That's your opinion, their both very close imo.

Old
07-14-2013, 07:05 AM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ MAC View Post
1. Tavares
2. Nabokov
4. Vis

Pretty good list. Definitely need Vis in the top 5. I'd probably go:
1. JT - Has to take the final step to superstardom for us to win some playoff series
2. TH - Has to take another step to establishing himself as a force day in day out; add offense
3. LV - Has to assume the top QB role and not diminish with age
4. EN - Has to have a better season than last year while helping goalie 2
5. MM (tie) - Has to consistently cash in on what he's fed or he's not even on this list
5. MM (tie) - Hits consistently, leads consistently but needs more offense
7. Grabner - Continue to learn to make people pay
8. KO - Needs to graduate to an everyday difference maker; score more, hit more
9. JB - Needs to graduate to an everyday difference maker; shoot more, score more
10. FN - Keep doing what he's doing, but should improve on the dots; still under the radar but could be a positional shut down
Honorables... Both CC's will have a big impact on the look and feel of this team. But if the scorers on the list aren't scoring we have problems....

Disgraced Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 07:54 AM
Tavaresfan91

1)JT- guy is a complete stud and is the main reason for any success this team has, took us out of the gutter
2) Hamonic- this playoff series showed us the potential of TH, guy can be a real good defenseman at an NHL level and I love the snarl he plays with.
3)Nabby-isles need him to be good in between the pipes and i think he will be more effective this year if he plays in the 55-60 game region and doesn't get burnt out like last year, if that happens he can play better in playoffs
4)visnovsky-will have to step up for success, pp QB and has to crunch alot of mins this year
5)Martin-may not be the most talented player but fills the role as the fan favorite for this team, Does all the intangibles and gets the crowd going
6)Okposo-inconsistent but when he is on he is on, think last years playoffs, he was a monster, If he brings that heart every game and plays like that where he is hitting and grinding it out instead of that toe drag pretty play garbage he can be very useful moving forward. Most frustrating player to watch at times
7)Nielsen-such an important part of this team, does alot of things very well, PK and shootouts also make him hard not to like, would like to see more offense but he doesn't need to show more offense to be effective
8) A-Mac- needs to play well with Hamonic this year because he will be getting top mins, although he signed 4 year deal, he is in a real threat of losing his job to a youngster with all these guys in the pool (griff, mayfield, Pulock, dehann) and I think he knows this and will perform well this season.
9)CC- guy is a stud 3rd line center and is molding into that type of guy, he has all the intangibles of a good player, I think he has more potential than we give him credit for, he is a energy guy who will work his tail off every night
10)grabs- tough one because it was between him and moulson but I went with grabs Because I think he is a much better player than moulson, he flys out there and kills penalties and will be a good 3rd line winger, although I think he can handle 2nd line mins (see rookie year). He can play anywhere in the lineup for the isles and will be effective out there one way or another. Really like his game and he is a streaky scorer so hopefully he can get on a roll next year.

Clutterbuck and Bailey can jump onto this list depending on how they play this year, I think clutterbuck will be a fan favorite here and will be much like Martin with more offense, Bailey shows signs of a top 10 pick he once was but hasnt out it together yet at nhl level. I also think Donavan will impress alot of people this year with his game and I'm excited to see him in action

Tavaresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 08:21 AM
KyleBailey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
Agreed. In order for the Isles to have success, both of them need to bring their A game.

KyleBailey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 09:09 AM
iLandHer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
I'd say they are close in terms of production, but with their talent level and their decisions on the ice.

Okposo has been a turnover machine who isn't good defensively, and tries to do the same two moves over and over again. Bailey is really hurt by constantly playing with players that aren't going to benefit him and his style. I would venture a guess and say that most teams are more afraid of Bailey with the puck than they would be with Okposo having it, but maybe I'm wrong.

Even still, if they are truly close how can they be 5 spots apart from one another?

iLandHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 09:33 AM
19 Straight

Seriously, how can you put a player on this list who has not even put on an Islander uniform (Clutterbuck)???????

19 Straight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 09:38 AM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 Straight View Post
Seriously, how can you put a player on this list who has not even put on an Islander uniform (Clutterbuck)???????
See post #1.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote