HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Off Season/Free Agent Discussion Part III

Closed Thread

Old
07-08-2013, 02:37 PM
NewYorkIsles

vCash: 500
I don't know how reliable Eklund is but..
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...3#.UdsUrflJ6ug

He states at the end of his article that there will be a huge signing in the north east later today. And that trades involving Vanek and Miller are getting closer.

Any Speculation?

Old
07-08-2013, 02:40 PM
Macch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkIsles View Post

He states at the end of his article that there will be a huge signing in the north east later today. And that trades involving Vanek and Miller are getting closer.

Any Speculation?

Do yourself a favor and never go back to hockeybuzz ever again.

Old
07-08-2013, 02:43 PM
seabass45

Quote:

Any Speculation?
It's probably an long term RFA extension, there's plenty of options there. As commenters mentioned, could be Kadri, Subban extended beyond next year, don't think Rask is OFFICIALLY signed yet, etc. Not really any UFAs that are worth noting. Only real surprise would be a signed offer sheet.

As for Vanek and Miller, I have no clue what's going on there. No interest in giving up top prospects for a rental.

Old
07-08-2013, 02:53 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
Isles still do not have enough defensive depth for a 82 game season. Hainsey would be a good stop gap acquisition for 2yrs.
Agreed,,,I would mind RHS Gilbert for bottom pair purposes....

Old
07-08-2013, 02:55 PM
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Agreed,,,I would mind RHS Gilbert for bottom pair purposes....
Hainsey or Gilbert are both good options, as of now Carkner is penciled into the lineup for all 82 games, need to carry 7D again this year.

Old
Sneekypete

Quote:

Any Speculation?
Eklund must have overslept their already was one in the north east, Rags signed Mcdonut

Old
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
I have zero interest in Nathan Gerbe.
I have Negative one interest in Gerbe aka Hockey smurf

Old
07-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Sneekypete

Gerbe was a very good gritty player at one time until he hurt his back, now he is just 13th forward or AHL depth, which is very sad

Old
07-08-2013, 03:01 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1298
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass45 View Post
It's probably an long term RFA extension, there's plenty of options there. As commenters mentioned, could be Kadri, Subban extended beyond next year, don't think Rask is OFFICIALLY signed yet, etc. Not really any UFAs that are worth noting. Only real surprise would be a signed offer sheet.

As for Vanek and Miller, I have no clue what's going on there. No interest in giving up top prospects for a rental.
Since Wang shows no interest in $6m-$7m per season players, I don't see the isles in the mix for either.

Buffalo could retain salary for only one season , then Wang would be in the hook 100% on extensions.

Old
07-08-2013, 03:46 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
I expect Finley to start at Bridgeport unless he somehow blows people away at training camp. He'd be exposed to waivers, right? Not much we can do, he was picked up and then Strait and Hickey passed him on the depth chart.
The guys who can be grabbed off of waivers... they'll just sit in the pressbox until they get placed in the line-up.

Old
07-08-2013, 04:10 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
The guys who can be grabbed off of waivers... they'll just sit in the pressbox until they get placed in the line-up.
It depends...assuming that Bailey, Clutterbuck and Hickey are all re-signed, we will have 12 forwards and 7 dmen who are waiver eligible, plus Casey Cizikas who should certainly have a spot. That is 19 of 21 spots. If Donovan (or De Haan) and Nelson (or Strome) make the team, there won't be room for Finley.

Old
07-08-2013, 04:38 PM
crasherino

Quote:
I expect Finley to start at Bridgeport unless he somehow blows people away at training camp. He'd be exposed to waivers, right? Not much we can do, he was picked up and then Strait and Hickey passed him on the depth chart.
Talk about addition by subtraction if someone grabbed Finley....He really doesn't have a place on a team with decent D depth. On the flipside, Hainsey or Gilbert would be great additions to this team. Probably wouldn't need deals beyond 2 years which frees up room for the young guys to move up. And it would allow Carkner and Hickey to be depth/reserve guys, where they probably should be.

AMac - Hamonic
Strait - Viz
Donovan - Hainsey/Gilbert

Cark/Hickey 7th/8th Defensemen

Much better than with Finley in there somewhere. Even if we don't go out and get Hainsey/Gilbert, I'd much rather someone with upside as the 8th Defensemen. Hell, I'll take Ness at this point with Cark and Hickey rotating at the #6 spot, depending on need.

Old
07-08-2013, 04:41 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
It depends...assuming that Bailey, Clutterbuck and Hickey are all re-signed, we will have 12 forwards and 7 dmen who are waiver eligible, plus Casey Cizikas who should certainly have a spot. That is 19 of 21 spots. If Donovan (or De Haan) and Nelson (or Strome) make the team, there won't be room for Finley.
Ahhhhh. And then if we sign another Dman...

Old
07-08-2013, 04:53 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...213232584.html

Puck Daddy gave the Isles an "A" on their free agent report card.

That back up goalie seems to be a decent GM.

Old
07-08-2013, 05:08 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wentworth View Post

I think we made some low risk High reward signings in PMB and Regin....

Also I think not spending ridiculous amount of money and years on some just "decent" players gives us a better grade...

I like the patience that Garth is showing and I believe the Isles make make a splash when they feel the time is right in the next couple of seasons, whether via trade or UFA...

Old
07-08-2013, 06:36 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

vCash: 3178
I hope Snow is looking to add a defenseman. I wouldn't be surprised if the made a trade like he did with Wizniewski and Viznovsky. On top of that I hope we add a couple of depth guys.

Old
07-08-2013, 08:22 PM
Hipietro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wentworth View Post

I agree with this. Snow has made very solid signings so far.

Just like with the Nino trade, once people get over the initial reaction of "OMG he sucks, I want a big name," they can actually figure out what Snow's trying to do.

PM Bouchard is a big upgrade over Boyes, and in my opinion will only benefit JT if they do play together.

Its clear that chemistry and hard working players are what the Islanders are going after. They're taking the anti-Rangers approach and not just throwing money at "superstars" and hoping they play well together.

Old
07-08-2013, 08:43 PM
seabass45

Every single report I've seen from other hockey sites has given us props for not doing anything stupid, getting Hamonic signed to a long deal, and getting solid stop-gap players.

The most critical reactions to the offseason have been here, not surprisingly.

Old
07-08-2013, 09:43 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
Talk about addition by subtraction if someone grabbed Finley....He really doesn't have a place on a team with decent D depth. On the flipside, Hainsey or Gilbert would be great additions to this team. Probably wouldn't need deals beyond 2 years which frees up room for the young guys to move up. And it would allow Carkner and Hickey to be depth/reserve guys, where they probably should be.

AMac - Hamonic
Strait - Viz
Donovan - Hainsey/Gilbert

Cark/Hickey 7th/8th Defensemen

Much better than with Finley in there somewhere. Even if we don't go out and get Hainsey/Gilbert, I'd much rather someone with upside as the 8th Defensemen. Hell, I'll take Ness at this point with Cark and Hickey rotating at the #6 spot, depending on need.
people freaked out around here when the oilers grabbed fistric from dallas for a third round pick...they wanted snow to get him instead. well, he's sitting there on the ufa market...unsigned. i wasn't overly concerned that the isles didn't grab him from dallas but i can guarantee that he is a more effective player than joe ****in finley.

Old
07-08-2013, 09:57 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipietro View Post
I agree with this. Snow has made very solid signings so far.

Just like with the Nino trade, once people get over the initial reaction of "OMG he sucks, I want a big name," they can actually figure out what Snow's trying to do.

PM Bouchard is a big upgrade over Boyes, and in my opinion will only benefit JT if they do play together.

Its clear that chemistry and hard working players are what the Islanders are going after. They're taking the anti-Rangers approach and not just throwing money at "superstars" and hoping they play well together.
he just has more work to do, that's all.

agreed that bouchard is an upgrade over boyes (as long as he doesn't miss a pile of games).

BUT...

the team still has not addressed the lack of a quality face off man.

they have not replaced the loss of mark streit.

they have not improved in net.

like i said, there's much yet to do.

Old
07-08-2013, 10:05 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
A quick followup on Wang's gracious roster allowance.

The knowns:
The Cap is $64 Million.
The Floor is $44 million.
Isle's 2013-14 salary to date: $42,194,476 - BUT that includes Lee who is on a two way down on the Bridge. Cizikas is also on a two way, but I suspect he is here until he plays himself off the club.
Isles real salary to date minus Lee ($1,750,000): $40.4 Million.

We still have to sign Bailey, Clutterbuck, Hickey, and Ulstrom. Ulstrom is out of the equation until he comes back from Europe, so we have three guys left to sign and $3.6 Million to go. My rough predictions with a +/- of $500K:
Hickey - $750K
Bailey - $2 Million
Clutterbuck - $2 Million

That would put us at $45.6 Million or so, a whole $1.6 Million above the floor.

And remember, he gets a revenue sharing check as well which was designed strictly for the purpose of getting clubs that threw in the towel salary wise (cough, cough) get closer to the middle, not the bottom, but the middle of the salary range.

Yet here we are again. Right at the league mandated floor with several glaring needs at all three positions.

Last edited by A Pointed Stick: 07-08-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old
07-08-2013, 11:17 PM
rikker
fan since '75.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
A quick followup on Wang's gracious roster allowance.

The knowns:
The Cap is $64 Million.
The Floor is $44 million.
Isle's 2013-14 salary to date: $42,194,476 - BUT that includes Lee who is on a two way down on the Bridge. Cizikas is also on a two way, but I suspect he is here until he plays himself off the club.
Isles real salary to date minus Lee ($1,750,000): $40.4 Million.

We still have to sign Bailey, Clutterbuck, Hickey, and Ulstrom. Ulstrom is out of the equation until he comes back from Europe, so we have three guys left to sign and $3.6 Million to go. My rough predictions with a +/- of $500K:
Hickey - $750K
Bailey - $2 Million
Clutterbuck - $2 Million

That would put us at $45.6 Million or so, a whole $1.6 Million above the floor.

And remember, he gets a revenue sharing check as well which was designed strictly for the purpose of getting clubs that threw in the towel salary wise (cough, cough) get closer to the middle, not the bottom, but the middle of the salary range.

Yet here we are again. Right at the league mandated floor with several glaring needs at all three positions.
an improvement to a playoff team from last year, at minimal cost! excellent!!

Old
07-08-2013, 11:31 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikker View Post
an improvement to a playoff team from last year, at minimal cost! excellent!!
can you offer your explanation as to why you feel the team has improved?

Old
07-09-2013, 12:08 AM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
Really man? Bouchard/Clutterbuck/Nelson/Donovan > Boyes/Aucoin/Reasoner/Streit

Even if it's marginal, it's still an improvement.

Old
07-09-2013, 12:08 AM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
Also wondering why "minimal cost" has to continually come up as people defend our GM and ownership... as if it's your money he's spending.

I'd get all giddy and excited if we were pushing the SALARY CAP CEILING when making creative, inexpensive moves.

For now, as the team continues to hover near the bottom, it just irks the daylights out of me that we continue to bottom feed and go bargain basement hunting.

It would be nice to finally sign someone who wasn't:

A. a cast-off
B. a reclamation project
C. injury prone
D. without a major flaw in his game

As a poster previously mentioned.... still glaring needs at Forward (a sniper), at D (at true top pairing Dman), and in goal (a true #1 for years to come).

Closed Thread