HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Ray Emery has signed a 1-yr deal for $1.65m. Will wear #29. (updates in post #1)

Old
07-04-2013, 01:40 PM
3Fs

vCash: 500
Ray Emery has signed a 1-yr deal for $1.65m. Will wear #29. (updates in post #1)

July 5:

Confirmed ( http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=676641 )

Quote:
The Philadelphia Flyers have signed 6-2, 196-lb goaltender Ray Emery to a free-agent contract, according to general manager Paul Holmgren.

Emery, 30 (9/28/1982), makes a return to the Flyers after previously playing for the club during the 2009-10 season. Emery is coming off his first career Stanley Cup championship with the Chicago Blackhawks, with whom he has spent the last two seasons. In 2012-13, Emery went 17-1-0 in 21 regular-season appearances, posting a 1.94 GAA and a .922 save percentage.

Quote:
The Flyers also signed free agent goalie Ray Emery to a one-year deal worth $1.65 million. ( http://flyers.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=18894 )
----------------------------

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=676708

Quote:
And while he liked it in Chicago, Emery, 30, wanted a shot to start again. So, he decided to give Philadelphia another shot.

“It’s been a crazy couple of days,” Emery said. “I’m excited that [Philadelphia] became an option. The first time I was really pumped about it, but it didn’t work out the way I wanted it, so I’m excited to be back.”

Emery isn’t guaranteed the No. 1 job with the Flyers, with whom he signed a one-year deal worth $1.65 million. He will be part of a tandem with Steve Mason. Both guys have one year left, and will compete for the starting job – which should make both goalies better.

However, it’s a chance to win a job and to get more playing time, and that’s all Emery was hoping for.

“[Chicago was] a situation where Cory has one year left… and he’s going to make five or six million for the next little while and I felt the writing was on the wall for myself,” Emery said. “In Philly, it’s a new situation and a place where I could play more games.”

Emery has also mellowed out as his career has moved on, and now that he’s a veteran he has a whole different approach to goaltending then he did when he was a fiery youngster with the Ottawa Senators.
Tim P. at CSN:

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...ry-1-year-deal

Quote:
Say hello, again, to Ray Emery.

The Flyers agreed to a one-year, $1.65 million contract with the 30-year-old goalie Friday afternoon as free agency officially began.

Emery is expected to enter the season as the Flyers latest No. 1 goalie, though Steve Mason feels he will compete for the job as well.

Combined with Mason's salary of $1.5 million, the Flyers get a one-two goalie tandem for $3.15 million. They were paying Ilya Bryzgalov alone $5.66 million against the cap last season.
Pierre LeBrun:
Quote:
Correction on the money: it's $1.65 M for Emery in Philly
Bill Meltzer ( https://twitter.com/billmeltzer )

Quote:
One-year deals with both Emery and Mason is a good arrangement for the Flyers. Gives them a year to assess long-term future. Emery capable of pushing Mason for #1 if hip stays health...
----------------------------------------------------------------------

July 4:

I would be more than happy if this is true. Always thought he did a nice job.

https://twitter.com/drive4fiveNYI

-----------------------------------

Quote:
Ray Emery very likely moving on from Chicago, looking for bigger role, chance at 1 or 1a spot. I'd put Philly as front-runner.
Source: Pierre LeBrun (ESPN) - https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/John-...2#.UdYrSdKorxA

A source close to the Hawks confirmed for me earlier this evening what is now all over Twitter, that Ray Emery will likely sign with the Flyers tomorrow.

I am not claiming to break this one—it's kind of old news—just confirming with a source close to the Hawks that it appears Emery will go to UFA tomorrow and sign with the Flyers.

I'm told the departure of goaltending coach Stephane Waite (Montreal) had some bearing on the decision.

One would think the Flyers are promising Emery 50+ games next year (if his hip can handle it). And good for Ray—as good guy and a warrior who can still play.

Hawk fans don't need to freak out about this one. While many assume Antti Raanta will play in Rockford next season, this guy has all the credentials and experience necessary to be a backup in the NHL. Or maybe the Hawks will bring in a veteran on a 1 year deal. Either way, Corey Crawford was going to be the main guy anyway.

The loss of Emery wiil likely be felt more in dressing room leadership. However, again, this is a room that doesn't lack for leadership.

But also, until the pen hits the paper, we don't know for sure what's going to happen either.

More as I have it.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 07-05-2013 at 02:11 PM.
3Fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 01:43 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
Ill take him with open arms

King Forsberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 01:45 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 844
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Action on Ray Emery. Philly, Isles and Oilers believed to be chasing. Hawks also in discussions to re-sign Emery. Good to have options.#TSN
-Dreger

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 01:46 PM
3Fs

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Forsberg View Post
Ill take him with open arms

3-3.5 per. Might be a little high, and we are going to be dumping salary through trade someplace...Very disappointed that I read Ryan is E3 going to RedWings.

Old
07-04-2013, 01:48 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

I wouldn't mind Emery or Thomas.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 01:50 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
I don't think I'd do more than a one-year deal, but the prospect still doesn't excite me that much. I think that's because it will feel strange.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 02:04 PM
SgtJoseph

I like Emery ! Fantastic goalie in my view and he was outstanding this season in Chicago........Is there risk ? of course there is, there is risk every where in the NHL, its all part of the gig. Only problem in Philly is that when players get hurt and it effects the team performance, Homer gets blamed or is called a dumb a$$ etc.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 02:18 PM
Bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
We aint getting him for 1 year. You can't risk coming to the goalie graveyard and putting up Bryz numbers. Could end up in the AHL next year.

Bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 02:31 PM
Jumping

Hedburg just got released by the Devils. Is he retiring? Always liked him and I bet he could give 25 games backing up Mason and he could do it cheaply.

Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 02:34 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumping View Post
Hedburg just got released by the Devils. Is he retiring? Always liked him and I bet he could give 25 games backing up Mason and he could do it cheaply.
He was pretty bad last year. They need a guy who could be the #1 if Mason doesn't do well.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 02:40 PM
Curufinwe

Hedberg was the 48th best goalie last year.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 02:57 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Hedberg was the 48th best goalie last year.
He can be Plan H. Lot's of options to explore first, although, as a Flyer draft pick, he would technically be a returning player and therefore eligible.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 03:53 PM
The Couturier Effect

@Real_ESPNLeBrun 6m
Ray Emery very likely moving on from Chicago, looking for bigger role, chance at 1 or 1a spot. I'd put Philly as front-runner.

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 04:07 PM
3Fs

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...adelphia_.html

Old
07-04-2013, 04:09 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumping View Post
Id be in on this as well.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 04:11 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Hedberg is a no. He's finished.

Emery is too much of a risk for me given how much of a risk Mason is himself.

Old
07-04-2013, 04:13 PM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Hedberg is a no. He's finished.

Emery is too much of a risk for me given how much of a risk Mason is himself.
Really? I think he's the best option among what's left. Maybe TT depending on cost. Other than those two, there isnt anything worth giving up assets for IMO.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 04:18 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 View Post
@Real_ESPNLeBrun 6m
Interesting. I have to give Ray credit for beating the odds. The guy has turned into a solid pro.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 04:21 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Emery had a good season last year behind a very good team/Defense with limited duty. He is slooooow side to side, to be expected since his surgery.

He deserves a bigger pay day but it might be tough to live up to 3.5+

HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 04:31 PM
flyersfan018

vCash: 50
No clue why so many people want this guy.

flyersfan018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 04:34 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Really? I think he's the best option among what's left. Maybe TT depending on cost. Other than those two, there isnt anything worth giving up assets for IMO.
I think Halak can be had for cheap because the Blues need to dump. They're not going to re-sign him, and it's an expiring contract.

Or, if the Flyers are trading Coburn to the Oilers, I'm hoping we can con them out of Dubnyk.

Old
07-04-2013, 04:47 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
I think Halak can be had for cheap because the Blues need to dump. They're not going to re-sign him, and it's an expiring contract.

Or, if the Flyers are trading Coburn to the Oilers, I'm hoping we can con them out of Dubnyk.
My concern on Halak is that he played in one of the most defensively ridiculous systems in the NHL and wasn't all that good last year in it. There's a reason the Blues are looking to move him and I think we should be very wary considering him a good option in our system. Perhaps better than Bryz, but not sure.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 04:49 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:

Well Dubnyk did hold up fairly well on a team that doesn't even know how to play defense. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him in.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 04:52 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I would prefer Halak...just worry Emery might have health issues with our luck..

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 05:03 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
I would prefer Halak...just worry Emery might have health issues with our luck..
Because Halak's such an iron man.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote