HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

(the expected) "Soooo now what are the lines?" thread.

View Poll Results: Eriksson should play with...
Bergeron and Marchand 150 63.56%
Krejci and Lucic 75 31.78%
Marchand-Krejci or Lucic-Bergeron 4 1.69%
The "Bottom 6" 7 2.97%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-06-2013, 12:54 PM
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback

vCash: 500
Wouldnt surprise me to see Paille on the 3rd line and knight start on the 4th like Marchand did.

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 01:48 PM
fireworks

I think the Bruins may sign another free agent. But, for now I would have the lines look something like this...

Lucic
Krejci
Iginla

Marchand
Bergeron
Eriksson

?
Kelly
?

Paille
Campbell
Thornton

Defense
Chara
Seidenberg
Hamilton
Krug
McQuaid
Boychuk
Bartkowski
Morrow

Goalies
Rask
Johnson

3rd line will probably consist of a rotating system with:

Camara
Soderberg
R.Smith
Fraser
Spooner
etc.

fireworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 11:54 AM
TwineTickler
TheUltimateBruin

I'll be honest, I'm kind of surprised how many ppl have Eriksson with Krejci and Lucic. I'm 99% convinced that he's going to be with Bergeron and Marchand. Just sort of makes sense. Iginla and Horton are virtually the same player and Eriksson is a two way forward with skill, Seguin was just skill, although his two way game improved. That March-Berg-Segs line was one of the top lines two years ago and Looch-Krejc-Horty dominated this playoffs. Iggy with Krejci and Eriksson with Bergeron just makes so much sense. I think it's going to be beautiful.

TwineTickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 12:02 PM
LavioletteScores

To be fair, I think Iggy and Eriksson are going to be switching between the top two lines frequently throughout the year depending on matchups, so I feel like the debate about where they will play doesn't really matter.

LavioletteScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 12:05 PM
LavioletteScores

And what the roster loses in speed, it will gain in size this year. Only Marchand and Krug are smaller than 6 feet. Gonna be a forest.

LavioletteScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 12:44 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwineTickler View Post
I'll be honest, I'm kind of surprised how many ppl have Eriksson with Krejci and Lucic. I'm 99% convinced that he's going to be with Bergeron and Marchand. Just sort of makes sense. Iginla and Horton are virtually the same player and Eriksson is a two way forward with skill, Seguin was just skill, although his two way game improved. That March-Berg-Segs line was one of the top lines two years ago and Looch-Krejc-Horty dominated this playoffs. Iggy with Krejci and Eriksson with Bergeron just makes so much sense. I think it's going to be beautiful.
This is precisely the reason I want to see the opposite.

Eriksson adds the speed that was missing on that line during the sluggish months. And Iginla has the ability to fight off a check, which is precisely what Bergy's line was missing with Seguin on his right.

Both lines will also become two-way forces with Eriksson with Looch and Krejci. All-around better for both units.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 12:48 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwineTickler View Post
Agree overall and I truly believe you see Eriksson with Bergeron. The only part I disagree with is that Iginla and Horton being similar. Iginla is much better in the dirty areas. Horton is more of a perimeter player....kinda like Bill Guerin. Iginla is going to really be succesful with DK and Looch IMO because while he will score some goals with his shot...he will pile up the garbage ones as well.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 12:50 PM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post

Eriksson adds the speed that was missing on that line during the sluggish months. And Iginla has the ability to fight off a check, which is precisely what Bergy's line was missing with Seguin on his right.

Both lines will also become two-way forces with Eriksson with Looch and Krejci. All-around better for both units.
Exactly. Iginla and Lucic together in the defensive zone is a disaster waiting to happen. With Eriksson and his retrieval skills, Lucic can focus on heading to the net, waiting for a Krejci feed.

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 12:56 PM
ORRMAN

Quote:

I agree entirely (and that's the way voted). This brings two-way balance and toughness to the top two lines. I'm surprised the votes are slanted as they are.

ORRMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 01:02 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
Exactly. Iginla and Lucic together in the defensive zone is a disaster waiting to happen. With Eriksson and his retrieval skills, Lucic can focus on heading to the net, waiting for a Krejci feed.
I see the following happening frequently:

Puck gets dumped into the offensive zone.

Lucic barrels into the zone on the heavy forecheck.

The weak defenseman makes an errant pass to avoid the body contact.

Eriksson reads the play a step ahead of the opposition and grabs the puck, immediately picking up Krejci who is third into the zone.

Krejci corrals the puck and eyes Erkisson who has immediately skated into an open area.

Eriksson fires a hard shot a foot of the ice for a juicy rebound.

Lucic (already having skated to the front of the net for the screen) bangs in the rebound.

Rinse. Repeat.

Old
07-07-2013, 01:19 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post
Wouldnt surprise me to see Paille on the 3rd line and knight start on the 4th like Marchand did.
Would be a much safer decision, that's for sure.

Knight would fit in well with Soupy and Thornton. He plays a pretty physical game, pretty solid both ways from what I've heard, and crashes the net and can easily scoop up some garbage goals.

I think Knight's ceiling is a 2nd/3rd line tweener, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. He has the skillset and body to be an extremely effective role player. Starting him on the 4th and letting him move up if he plays well/when we have injuries would be good. Paille definitely earned some 3rd line ice time from his stellar play last season... Only problem is some combo of Yeti-Kelly-Paille would be all left handed.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 04:34 PM
Shaun
beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post
I was thinking the same thing or someone like Craig Cunningham starting on the 4th line if they want Knight to start with the Baby B's.

Also wouldn't surprise me if another trade was coming.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 04:48 PM
ORRMAN

Let's just call the fourth line the third line and leave them as the effective unit they are.

ORRMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 04:54 PM
BigBadBruin8
@rsox1221

Send a message via AIM to BigBadBruin8
Quote:

I can understand the logic behind this top 6, but tbh, we don't need both of those lines to be two-way monsters. Sometimes it's beneficial to have one line that's so good offensively they spend the majority of their shift in the O zone. Plus, Lucic's lack of a defensive game is greatly exaggerated. IMO the worst defender on that line was Horton, so replacing him with Iginla is a sideways shift defensively at worst.

Iginla has never, literally never, played with a C as good as Krejci is. Some may say his time in PIT, but IIRC he didn't play with either of those two guys consistently, especially in the playoffs. And he was playing the wrong wing, which threw him for a loop by his own admission.

A full season on the RW, with a feeder like DK in the middle, will get 30 goals out of Iginla IMO easily. Not to mention he doesn't have to be the physical presence on that line since Lucic is there. I think Iginla makes the unit even more complete than it was with 2 power forwards because Iginla fits the mold of a PF far more than Horton. Iginla will hit people on a consistent basis. That means that line is going to turn the puck over even more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
Agree overall and I truly believe you see Eriksson with Bergeron. The only part I disagree with is that Iginla and Horton being similar. Iginla is much better in the dirty areas. Horton is more of a perimeter player....kinda like Bill Guerin. Iginla is going to really be succesful with DK and Looch IMO because while he will score some goals with his shot...he will pile up the garbage ones as well.
Eriksson with Bergeron and Marchand might set some sort of +/- record next season. The add a guy who has speed but also is a beast on the wall and the corners, something Seguin was not quite clearly not. The will have better puck possession and better cycle game, along with being damn near impossible to score on IMO. Watch Eriksson put up another 25-40-65 season and be top-5 on the team in points with ease. That's my guess; might even score 30.

"I've gotta go run some little French guys over."--Shawn Thornton

BigBadBruin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 04:57 PM
Yeti34

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireworks View Post
I think the Bruins may sign another free agent. But, for now I would have the lines look something like this...

Lucic
Krejci
Iginla

Marchand
Bergeron
Eriksson

?
Kelly
?

Paille
Campbell
Thornton

Defense
Chara
Seidenberg
Hamilton
Krug
McQuaid
Boychuk
Bartkowski
Morrow

Goalies
Rask
Johnson

3rd line will probably consist of a rotating system with:

Camara
Soderberg
R.Smith
Fraser
Spooner
etc.
Soderberg will be on that third line as well.

It's a competition between.

Caron
R. Smith
Knight
Fraser
Spooner

for that last spot. In that order IMO.

Yeti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 05:22 PM
microbrien
BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Send a message via AIM to microbrien

It's highlights (I recommend muting it), so obviously it's easy to let your mouth water a little too much, but looking at a sample of what he does at his best, he looks like he's got Bergeron's size, Marchand's maneuverability, with something like Seguin's speed and release.

That may be a bit of over-excitement, but if nothing else, I have to like that he seems to be capable of scoring his goals a few different ways. Not just one or two in his highlight videos on Youtube are on strong net drives or in-close.

Anyway, I think this provides at least a little evidence that he could find a way to fit in and produce on either line. I think he probably slots better with Marchand and Bergeron--either way, I'm just excited to see him play next year. October can't come fast enough.

(I was going to post this 20 minutes ago, but decided to look for videos of his lesser moments to at least balance out the highlight reel...and I can't find a single one.)

microbrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 05:26 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBruin8 View Post
I can understand the logic behind this top 6, but tbh, we don't need both of those lines to be two-way monsters. Sometimes it's beneficial to have one line that's so good offensively they spend the majority of their shift in the O zone. Plus, Lucic's lack of a defensive game is greatly exaggerated. IMO the worst defender on that line was Horton, so replacing him with Iginla is a sideways shift defensively at worst.

Iginla has never, literally never, played with a C as good as Krejci is. Some may say his time in PIT, but IIRC he didn't play with either of those two guys consistently, especially in the playoffs. And he was playing the wrong wing, which threw him for a loop by his own admission.

A full season on the RW, with a feeder like DK in the middle, will get 30 goals out of Iginla IMO easily. Not to mention he doesn't have to be the physical presence on that line since Lucic is there. I think Iginla makes the unit even more complete than it was with 2 power forwards because Iginla fits the mold of a PF far more than Horton. Iginla will hit people on a consistent basis. That means that line is going to turn the puck over even more.
A couple of counter-points to your excellent post:

1. (in regard to your first paragraph) They don't need to both be defensive monsters, but what's the harm in that? With Eriksson instead of Horton, you don't sacrifice a smidgen of offense, while also improving the two way play (which should lead to even more offense). With Iginla in that place, you have the slowest top line in the NHL.

2. (second paragraph) Same could be said about Patrice Bergeron. And that line plays it's most effective hockey with a good cycle game and puck possession, which will fit Iggy perfectly.

Or... Look at it this way:

Power Forwards:
Lucic, Iginla

Two-way Dynamos:
Eriksson, Bergeron

Other:
Marchand, Krejci

A power forward on each line. A two-way genius on each line. Lucic and Krejci have as strong of a connection together as Marchand and Bergeron. You're just pluggin' and playin'.

Old
07-07-2013, 05:33 PM
MillerTime 86
So Long Tyler SeQuin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti34 View Post

It's a competition between:

Caron
Spooner
R. Smith
Fraser

for that last spot. In that order IMO.
Fixed, assuming that Chiarelli doesn't bring a Pandolfo-type vet into the mix (God willing).

No way Knight competes for a spot after missing almost the entire last season, and no way in hell Camara will even be in the mix at all at that point (as someone previously eluded to).

MillerTime 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 06:01 PM
Yeti34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler SeQuin View Post
Fixed, assuming that Chiarelli doesn't bring a Pandolfo-type vet into the mix (God willing).

No way Knight competes for a spot after missing almost the entire last season, and no way in hell Camara will even be in the mix at all at that point (as someone previously eluded to).
-I wish Spooner was getting more consideration. He has been my favorite prospect since I watched him dominate at his first rookie camp, but from the sound of the insiders on here they want to keep him at center.
-I thought the same thing about Knight as well, but some of the insiders on here informed me that the organization was giving him a chance to make the big club despite his injuries.

With all that said I bet Caron gets it. Hopefully he can take it and run with it. No injuries this offseason that I am aware of. So he should come into camp on the top of his game.

I am not sure which is worse the Pandolfo type Vet or Caron???

Yeti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 06:04 PM
RussellmaniaKW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler SeQuin View Post

If Knight is healthy and his conditioning is where it needs to be then I don't see how his injuries last year have anything to do with his camp this year. I guess he could be rusty and that could result in a less than stellar camp, but if he's physically ready to go he has as much a shot at anyone at earning a spot.

RussellmaniaKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 06:21 PM
BigBadBruin8
@rsox1221

Send a message via AIM to BigBadBruin8
Quote:
A couple of counter-points to your excellent post:

1. (in regard to your first paragraph) They don't need to both be defensive monsters, but what's the harm in that? With Eriksson instead of Horton, you don't sacrifice a smidgen of offense, while also improving the two way play (which should lead to even more offense). With Iginla in that place, you have the slowest top line in the NHL.

2. (second paragraph) Same could be said about Patrice Bergeron. And that line plays it's most effective hockey with a good cycle game and puck possession, which will fit Iggy perfectly.

Or... Look at it this way:

Power Forwards:
Lucic, Iginla

Two-way Dynamos:
Eriksson, Bergeron

Other:
Marchand, Krejci

A power forward on each line. A two-way genius on each line. Lucic and Krejci have as strong of a connection together as Marchand and Bergeron. You're just pluggin' and playin'.
Eriksson would improve the speed on L1, and Iginla would still have the best C of his career in Bergeron, though I just think that the team has a comfort level with certain types of lines since the Cup run in '11.

Since '11, we've had L1 with the 2 PFs winging the dynamic pass-first C, and we've had the two-way magic on L2 with the best 3-zone player in the game centering the speedy wingers.

Now obviously you put guys wherever it's best for the team. I mean if we got Alfie he'd be on 1RW and he doesn't play at all like Iginla. But considering who was acquired, we can keep the consistency on line "types" from the past 3 seasons where we've had great success, and improve them IMO based on the new personnel.

Iginla is a better PF than Horton, more physical, better goal scorer, better in the dirty areas of the ice. Eriksson is a better natural wing than Seguin, better on the walls and in the corners, and one of the best defenders in the league.

The top 6 has had those types of players for the past 3 years, and we've had great success with that. I think the Bruins org. and coaches would be looking to keep that consistency amongst the top 2 lines with similar types of players.

Lucic and Krejci are used to having that other shooting PF on their right side, and Iginla will do that better than Horton. And while he's no burner, the speed factor is a sideways shift at worst again IMO with Iginla there. And Bergy is my favorite player, but he is not the offensive force Krejci can be, or passer either.

Marchand and Bergeron are used to the speedy RW and now they'll have a guy who's much more dependable that will make the line even better at puck possession and cycling, and a more all-around offensive threat.

That's JMO, but I think that's where these guys end up.

BigBadBruin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 06:26 PM
BobbyAwe

Why do most tend to place Ericksson on Bergy's line if they are similar two-way players? I'm thinking it might be better if we had that type player one each on both of the first 2 lines?

BobbyAwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 06:29 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBruin8 View Post
Eriksson would improve the speed on L1, and Iginla would still have the best C of his career in Bergeron, though I just think that the team has a comfort level with certain types of lines since the Cup run in '11.

Since '11, we've had L1 with the 2 PFs winging the dynamic pass-first C, and we've had the two-way magic on L2 with the best 3-zone player in the game centering the speedy wingers.

Now obviously you put guys wherever it's best for the team. I mean if we got Alfie he'd be on 1RW and he doesn't play at all like Iginla. But considering who was acquired, we can keep the consistency on line "types" from the past 3 seasons where we've had great success, and improve them IMO based on the new personnel.

Iginla is a better PF than Horton, more physical, better goal scorer, better in the dirty areas of the ice. Eriksson is a better natural wing than Seguin, better on the walls and in the corners, and one of the best defenders in the league.

The top 6 has had those types of players for the past 3 years, and we've had great success with that. I think the Bruins org. and coaches would be looking to keep that consistency amongst the top 2 lines with similar types of players.

Lucic and Krejci are used to having that other shooting PF on their right side, and Iginla will do that better than Horton. And while he's no burner, the speed factor is a sideways shift at worst again IMO with Iginla there. And Bergy is my favorite player, but he is not the offensive force Krejci can be, or passer either.

Marchand and Bergeron are used to the speedy RW and now they'll have a guy who's much more dependable that will make the line even better at puck possession and cycling, and a more all-around offensive threat.

That's JMO, but I think that's where these guys end up.
I see where you're coming from and don't disagree at all.

I think you want to replicate success, whereas I see each of our previous lines as successful but flawed. I want to improve them and that's via a change in how they operate.

Regardless, I think the fact that one could make an air-tight argument for either guy in either place means that we got two GREAT fits for this team. I'm very happy about that.

Old
07-07-2013, 06:32 PM
MillerTime 86
So Long Tyler SeQuin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellmaniaKW View Post
If Knight is healthy and his conditioning is where it needs to be then I don't see how his injuries last year have anything to do with his camp this year. I guess he could be rusty and that could result in a less than stellar camp, but if he's physically ready to go he has as much a shot at anyone at earning a spot.
From all previous accounts by those in-the-know, he's a guy who wasn't ready to jump right from Juniors into the show and would need a year or 2 of seasoning in Providence before he would be ready. No sure how missing 97% of his first season in Providence out with injury changes that, but a betting man would probably roll the dice on someone else, at least until Knight gets his feet wet in the pros.

I'd say the spot is Caron's to lose ... As well as his tenure in the Bruins' organization.

MillerTime 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 06:39 PM
Daniel Plainview

I'm just as intrigued with what we do with the defensive pairings, as I am with the forwards

Last edited by Daniel Plainview: 07-07-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Daniel Plainview is offline   Reply With Quote