HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

(the expected) "Soooo now what are the lines?" thread.

View Poll Results: Eriksson should play with...
Bergeron and Marchand 150 63.56%
Krejci and Lucic 75 31.78%
Marchand-Krejci or Lucic-Bergeron 4 1.69%
The "Bottom 6" 7 2.97%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-07-2013, 06:45 PM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellmaniaKW View Post
If Knight is healthy and his conditioning is where it needs to be then I don't see how his injuries last year have anything to do with his camp this year. I guess he could be rusty and that could result in a less than stellar camp, but if he's physically ready to go he has as much a shot at anyone at earning a spot.
But his injuries have prevented him from playing against pros and adjusting to the speed and strength of professional hockey. Some guys can skip that step and maybe Knight is one but most need time to adjust.

07-07-2013, 06:47 PM
Daniel Plainview

Iginla may not be the player he was 5-6 years ago, but I think we can all agree the guy can finish

And Krecji can dish the puck with the best of them, that we all know, but Lucic? I think his passing is VERY underrated. That guy really has a knack for putting the puck in the right place and setting teammates up. I can think back to so many times he swept the puck from the dot to in front of the net to a teammate for a great scoring chance. The guy can flat out pass the puck

So I say that's just too good to pass up. Those two with Iginla is gold. Sure they won't exactly be the 2000 Baltimore Ravens on defense, but sticking Eriksson with them won't make them THAT much better in that department. And in the meantime, putting Iggy with Bergeron only diminishes our shutdown line, defensively. While putting Eriksson there makes it a fricken brick wall

I say screw trying to compensate a negative with a positive or a positive with a negative. Strengthen your strengths. Make Krecji's line dangerous as hell and make Bergeron's line one that completely nullifies the other teams best

Daniel Plainview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 06:50 PM
Kelly23
Pedroia and Drew

I can not wait for Eriksson he is going to kill it, if he is next to Krejci 38 goals 70 points, if he is next to Bergy 30 goals 75 points.

Kelly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 06:50 PM
UConn126
Bass Player.

Lucic-Krejci-Iginla
Marchand-Bergeron-Eriksson
Paille-Kelly-Soderberg
Campbell-Spooner-Camara/Smith/Knight
Thornton

Chara-Hamilton
Seidenber-Boychuk
Krug-McQuaid
Bartkowski

Rask
Johnson

I'm thinking Thornton should be shifted to the 13th forward role in favor of injecting some youthful energy into the 4th line.

UConn126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:03 PM
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon

I'm on the side that believes Eriksson should play with DK and Lucic. I like the option of spreading out the two big bruisers as well as the defensive liabilities.

Jack Donaghy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:33 PM
MillerTime 86
So Long Tyler SeQuin

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConn126 View Post
Lucic-Krejci-Iginla
Paille-Kelly-Soderberg
Campbell-Spooner-Camara/Smith/Knight
Thornton

Chara-Hamilton
Seidenber-Boychuk
Krug-McQuaid
Bartkowski

Rask
Johnson

I'm thinking Thornton should be shifted to the 13th forward role in favor of injecting some youthful energy into the 4th line.
No way you go and break up the best 4th line in the business. Merlot stays together.

Lines 1, 2, and 4 are set. Only variable, IMO, is line 3.

MillerTime 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:53 PM
Hazi

Lucic - Krejci - Eriksson
Marchand - Bergeron - Iginla
Soderberg - Kelly - Spooner/Caron/Fraser/Camara/Smith/Knight
Paille - Campbell - Thornton

Hazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:57 PM
LavioletteScores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazi View Post
Marchand - Bergeron - Iginla
Soderberg - Kelly - Spooner/Caron/Fraser/Camara/Smith/Knight
yeah, that is kind of where we are at right now. Great for competition, though.

LavioletteScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 08:06 PM
northeastern

The line of Marchy bergy and Eriksson is as shutdown of a line as their comes

northeastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 08:06 PM
Bruinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
But his injuries have prevented him from playing against pros and adjusting to the speed and strength of professional hockey. Some guys can skip that step and maybe Knight is one but most need time to adjust.
Exactly. Something else people forget is Knight is a pretty physical guy, yet not all that big. To me this makes it even more dangerous throwing him up against NHL size and strength without having a year of AHL to acclimate his game. At minimum, I can see them giving him 30 games on the farm to see where he is at and if the 3rd line wing spot is still a problem, bring him up if you feel he is up to the task.

Bruinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 08:17 PM
Dupell6

If we want production on our 3rd line we need to move Kelly, a line of soderberg spooner knight would bring it

Dupell6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 09:10 PM
RunFromTheBear

I would put Eriksson with Krejci and Lucic. We praise the Bergeron line for ring defensively responsible. I think we have the opportunity to make Krejci's line even better by turning and offense first guy for a 2 way player....really without losing any offense. I think Eriksson is going to flourish on this line.

I'm starting to like the idea of Matt Fraser on the line with Bergeron and Marchand. He has a goal scorers shot that will hopefully translate to the NHL if he is with the right guys. He would add toughness to that line and hopefully can build a chemistry that lasts more than one season. That spot has been a revolving door since Recchi left. Fraser of course would have to win this spot.

Marchand - Bergeron - Fraser

It's debatable if Iginla slowed down last year, but why risk it during a longer season. Keeping him fresh for when a powerplay occurs and keeping the miles low for the season could benefit us in the playoffs. Spooner filled in on the first line briefly last year, leading me to believe that CJ believes in him. He is a playmaker that could be paired with Iginla to give the third line a punch. Stick Paille on the line for defensive responsibility and toughness in the corners.

Paille - Spooner - Iginla

This leaves these 5 guys:

Kelly/Soderberg/Campbell/Thornton/Smith

After making sure Campbell is 100%, I would trade Kelly as long as Fraser and Spooner are working out. This limits the amount we go over the cap this year. Soderberg needs more time in NA before I give him regular minutes.

RunFromTheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 09:19 PM
Kiss My Rask
Loui Loui, ohhh no

Iginla isn't playing on the third line....

Especially not at 6m

Kiss My Rask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 09:22 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ill Dangle For You View Post
Iginla isn't playing on the third line....

Especially not at 6m
Definitely not, he'll be playing on the Krejci line. You have to imagine that CJ is salivating at the idea of playing Eriksson with Bergeron and Marchand, it probably wakes his wife up every night

Iginla is a clear upgrade to Horton. At worst, he puts up slightly better numbers than Horton, at worst.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 09:33 PM
kman22

I haven't read through the entire thread yet, but I feel comfortable saying that there is no way that Camara makes the team out of camp. I like him as a prospect long term, but he needs a lot of work developing the discipline aspect of his game. The AHL is a much safer place for that. I think the third line wing spop, opposite Soderberg, comes down to Caron, Fraser, or Smith. That's assuming no additional free agents.

I like Eriksson on line 1, but whichever way you split Iginla and Eriksson, both of the top 2 lines will be strong. Eriksson gives you some defensive help on line 1 and Bergeron and Marchand cover up any defensive flaws that Iginla has in his game.

kman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 09:41 PM
acr

You know what sucks? The last few days of roster movements really have me excited to see this team play...and now we have to wait until friggin' October for a real game.

acr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 10:50 PM
BruinsFanMike82

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman22 View Post
I haven't read through the entire thread yet, but I feel comfortable saying that there is no way that Camara makes the team out of camp. I like him as a prospect long term, but he needs a lot of work developing the discipline aspect of his game. The AHL is a much safer place for that. I think the third line wing spop, opposite Soderberg, comes down to Caron, Fraser, or Smith. That's assuming no additional free agents.

I like Eriksson on line 1, but whichever way you split Iginla and Eriksson, both of the top 2 lines will be strong. Eriksson gives you some defensive help on line 1 and Bergeron and Marchand cover up any defensive flaws that Iginla has in his game.
I wouldn't rule out newly-signed Nick Johnson either.

BruinsFanMike82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 11:05 PM
N o o d l e s

I could see them trying Soderberg at 3C for a season, too.

Lucic - Krejci - Iginla
Matchand - Bergeron - Eriksson
Kelly - Soderberg - Fraser/Smith/Knight
Fraser/Smith/Knight

N o o d l e s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 11:09 PM
CDJ

Lucic-Krejci-Iginla
Soderberg-Spooner-Kelly
MERLOT

Chara-Boychuk
Seidenberg-Hamilton
Krug-McQuaid
Bartkowski

Rask
Johnson

CDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 11:10 PM
N o o d l e s

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJ View Post
Lucic-Krejci-Iginla
Soderberg-Spooner-Kelly
MERLOT

Chara-Boychuk
Seidenberg-Hamilton
Krug-McQuaid
Bartkowski

Rask
Johnson
I actually really like that 3rd line, hadn't thought of it.

N o o d l e s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 11:10 PM
mich25

Pretty sure Chia said Iginla will be on and start on the 1st line with Lucic and Krejci, but can and could also play with Marchand and Bergeron. So, I think we see Iginla with Lucic and Krejci to begin with and see how that goes..

Lucic - Krejci - Iginla
Marchand - Bergeron - Eriksson
Soderberg - Kelly - Fraser/Smith/Knight
Fraser/Smith/Knight

mich25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 11:12 PM
CDJ

I'm also very intrigued by Nick Johnson.

I think Knight will be great, but I don't think it would kill him to get some more games in down in the Dunk.

If Kelly gets moved for further cap relief, I go with a 3rd line of Soderberg-Spooner-Johnson/Fraser (and then Knight moves into the lineup later on in the year if neither plays well).

Old
07-07-2013, 11:37 PM
GloveSave1
I'll bleed.

Lucic-Krejci-Eriksson
Marchand-Bergeron-Iginla
Paille-Kelly-Soderberg
Knight-Campbell-Thornton
Spooner

Chara/Hamilton
Seidenberg/Boychuk
McQuaid/Krug
Bartkowski

Rask
Svedberg

I think the standard way of thinking, and probably what will happen, is to put Iginla on
L1. But I just have a feeling, both Iggy and Loui will have better chemistry with the lines/centers above. Loui is really just as productive a scorer and gives L1 a defensive bump. Just my opinion, I guess. Like I said, probably won't happen anyways.

Paille and Kelly had a bit of chemistry going in the playoffs...and once I've found a good fit for Kelly...I'm not letting go. Soderberg seems like a nice shooter to add to the pair. Excited about this line if it should come to be.

They say Knight has a great motor and is a team player. Seems like he'd really fit in with Soupy and Thornton. Could be looking at another Marchand entry to the team.

As far as the D goes...anything goes. Just want to see Z and Seids play less mins. Having Boychuk here and Bart in the wings is a luxury. Make it pay off with a fresh as possible Chara and Seidenberg throughout the playoffs. Trust the kids.

Svedberg has earned the promotion/back-up job IMO.

GloveSave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 11:48 PM
Grasshopperking
Oh salad days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Plainview View Post
I'm just as intrigued with what we do with the defensive pairings, as I am with the forwards
Agreed. Where does McQuaid fit in the coming year or two? I can't help but feel he's the odd man out, if the young D progress like we hope they do/

For this season I'd like to see

Lucic-Krejci-Eriksson
Marchand-Bergeron-Iginla
Soderberg-Spooner-Smith
Paille-Campbell-Kelly

Chara-Hamilton
Seids-Boychuk
McQuaid-Bartkowski

VETERAN D UFA (or Redden?)

Send Krug down. I think he could use another year. I really enjoyed watching Bartkowski's progression this year from the year before. Night and day. Good speed while being tight defensively. Solid Ference replacement.

I believe Iggy will play with Bergeron and Marchand. Would be stellar IMO as Loui would bring speed and good board-work to Krejci's line.

Very interested to see what they do with that 3rd line. I'd like to put a playmaker on that line as it seems Soderberg is a shooter. I elect Spooner centering Soderberg and Smith. Give the line a makeover and forget about the abysmal year it had last year.

I can't decide if I like Thornton or Kelly less, but there's no way they play a 3 million dollar 13th forward so...

Grasshopperking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:28 AM
CDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by N o o d l e s View Post
I actually really like that 3rd line, hadn't thought of it.
Yeah, I think it could produce offense while being steady defensively (if Spooner's D-game progresses steadily). I'm really intrigued to see how Spooner and Soderberg's creativity mesh with each other. Both have some really soft hands and can generate chances while Kelly can crash the net like he does.

It's a bit outside the box, but I think it could be effective.