HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

[MIN] Wild sign Keith Ballard (2 years, $1.5M per)

Old
07-04-2013, 06:10 PM
Intoewsables

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirheadPete View Post
Steal. This guy is still top 4. Outstanding move by minny they needed to shore up that defense
He's barely been a capable bottom pairing guy for the last 3 years, so I don't know where you're getting that from.

Honestly, Ballard seems like a great guy and I hope he finds success in Minnesota, but anyone expecting him to be a legitimate top-4 guy is likely going to end up disappointed.

Intoewsables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:10 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckaholic19 View Post
Your getting a steal of a player. Don't let the benching's by AV fool you, Ballard is a great defenseman.

He has been brutal for last 4 years ,, AV isn't at fault for everything

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:13 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoivu9 View Post
Chuck Fletcher continues to show time and time again why he is a top GM
Wouldn't go that far, but I've been very satisfied with price tags on the Scandella and Backstrom re-signings, as well as this Ballard signing.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:15 PM
leafsfan2point0

vCash: 500
what a steal! I'm jealous

leafsfan2point0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:16 PM
Ricky Bobby

Very nice signing by Minny.

No risk cause it's only 1.5 per year x 2 years.

Ballard has way more upside than a 1.5 million dman normally ever brings to the table.

Ricky Bobby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:19 PM
King of Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post

He was bad at times, but Ballard/Tanev was the Canucks' most consistent pairing through the first few weeks of last season until AV split them up.

King of Anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:21 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 827
I will trust the opinions of Nuck fans that watch him nearly every game rather than Hawk fans who have watch him a few times coming in here and spewing out how bad he is.

Last edited by Billy Mays Here: 07-04-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:23 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
On playing in Vancouver, Ballard said, "It was a battle to find the right fit. I had a few injuries. It was a different role than I was accustomed to. There were a lot of different situations that took place. There weren’t one or two things that went wrong. At the same time, I really, truly loved my time in Vancouver. The guys I played with, it was a great group. It’s bittersweet right now. I’m really excited to be moving on and getting a fresh start, but it’s hard leaving people you were close to and a city and a fan base that I really enjoyed playing in front of."
http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/214312231.html

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:23 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirheadPete View Post
Steal. This guy is still top 4. Outstanding move by minny they needed to shore up that defense
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcarder View Post
Ballard will do well in Minny. He's a solid #4-5 guy if given the chance. He was just so horribly managed in Vancouver and between that and horrible timing of injuries he was never able to show anything. Yes he's lost a step from his Phoenix days, but he is MUCH better than what his time in Vancouver suggests.
Haha, anyone writing 'top-4' next to Ballard's name is in a dreamland.

He's a nice guy who handled the situation surrounding his declining ability with nothing but professionalism, and I wish him the best, but he's an awful player.

Despite what you'll see a lot of people say, he was given every opportunity to succeed here, and just delivered nothing. Below-average player at both ends of the rink - scrambly defender who is a black hole offensively. Was benched toward the end of all 3 of his seasons here for good reason.

At what they signed him for, he might be a serviceable #6 defender. But it would be an outright miracle if he was more than that, same as if Mike Komisarek suddenly turned back into a top-4 defender again.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:24 PM
Shellz

Good signing by Wild. I think he will be worth much more come season end.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:25 PM
MISC*
Negged.

Canucks fan:

So happy for him. He's a super nice guy and has a lot left to give the Wild. Excellent term.

MISC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:26 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mays Here View Post
I will trust the opinions of Nuck fans that watch him nearly every game rather than Hawk fans who have watche him a few times coming in here and spewing out how bad he is.
I watched him play 150 times as a Canuck.

He was a fringe defender from start to finish, and never showed anything to indicate that he was more than a fringe player.

If the NHL Official Guide and Record Book didn't tell you he once scored 30+ points, you wouldn't have believed it watching him play. At all.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:28 PM
medhatcanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post

yeah... i don't think you know what your talking about.

ballard is fine, and at 1.5 he is a steal. AV contributed to the majority of why Ballard played so inconsistently. Ballard has not been brutal, he is prone to at least 1 giveaway a game, but given the non-synergistic relationship between AV/AV's systtem and ballard, you have a hard time blaming ballard, from the perspective of people who watch ballard the most in the last 4 years.

medhatcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:29 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Listen to canuck fans when they say this guy is awful.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:31 PM
medhatcanuck

And no, Ballard is not a top 4 dman on most teams. But i would not gawk at the possibliity of Ballard playing well in a different system to the point where he is the consistent #4 dman for a team.

medhatcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:31 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

GL Ballard, hope he can find his game again.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:37 PM
putridgasbag
Grand Poohba

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Guy isn't as bad as his stay in Vancouver would indicate, good signing for the Wild, hope he can get his career back on track.

You can say you want to take advantage of him defensively, I think it was a lot to do with system fit. I don't know why a team with two key players with a history of concussions would come on this thread and celebrate the signing of a guy that lays people out and plays pretty rugged, might regret that in my opinion.
Rugged... no not Ballard. He will throw the odd hip check but beyond that he is not big enough to play rugged. He has trouble controlling bigger players as they near the net. Everyone remembers the thrice yearly hip checks but that is about all you get out of him physically.

He had lots of chances in Vancouver but he really did not play anywhere near expectations. Blame the coach or the system or whatever, bottom line is he was not very good for most of his stay in Vancouver. Brief spurts of hey he is ok but that was about as good as it got.

Best of luck to him and the Wild but from my point of view it is addition by subtraction for the Canucks.

putridgasbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:38 PM
LeanBeef

Good luck in Minny Ballard!

He should be good for you guys. Arguably the best defenseman in the LA series and played solid throughout the first few games of the year....until randomly benched by AV.

As long as he plays with a steady stay at home defenseman you'll be more than happy.

Looking forward to seeing him mentor Dumba, as Matt's play reminds me of Ballard's before coming to Vancouver.

Minny fans, do him a favor when NY comes to your building and boo AV.

LeanBeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:39 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Wild bought low in the hope that Ballard can right the ship in his home state. He's had a tough go of it, but that there's a decent chance he can be a good 3rd pairing guy.

Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:40 PM
Homegrown Kings

I watched him a fair bit. At this price, I think he's a really good signing. Seems like a good teammate, plays physical, willing to fight, and though he never really produced much with Vancouver he does have some offensive upside.

If he's going to be a bottom-pairing guy, I'm sure Minny will be perfectly satisfied.

Homegrown Kings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:41 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Haha, anyone writing 'top-4' next to Ballard's name is in a dreamland.

He's a nice guy who handled the situation surrounding his declining ability with nothing but professionalism, and I wish him the best, but he's an awful player.

Despite what you'll see a lot of people say, he was given every opportunity to succeed here, and just delivered nothing. Below-average player at both ends of the rink - scrambly defender who is a black hole offensively. Was benched toward the end of all 3 of his seasons here for good reason.

At what they signed him for, he might be a serviceable #6 defender. But it would be an outright miracle if he was more than that, same as if Mike Komisarek suddenly turned back into a top-4 defender again.
I don't know if that is completely fair. He was clearly in AV's doghouse and when he was let out for spurts did a decent job. One would have to think that jerking around didn't exactly do wonders for his confidence.

Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:42 PM
VinnyC
trust in linden CREW

I really hope Ballard succeeds in Minnesota. A very easy guy to cheer for!

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:42 PM
vadim sharifijanov
#bryantreevesbad

MS, you are so uniquely insistent and vociferous in your criticism of ballard each and every time his name comes up that sometimes i wonder whether you are AV.

welcome home, KB4. all our best.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:48 PM
mkoivu9*

Great signing

Last edited by mkoivu9*: 07-04-2013 at 06:56 PM.
mkoivu9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:52 PM
HooliganX2

At worst I think it's a good gamble for the Wild that he will be a productive defenseman. For 1.5 million a season it's worth the risk.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote