HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Poll: Reaction to Seguin/Eriksson trade?

View Poll Results: What do you think of the deal?
Dallas fleeced Boston 10 5.59%
Dallas got the better of the deal, but it could've been better 20 11.17%
It's a fair deal on both ends 117 65.36%
Uncomfortable with the return, but it's not the end of the world 19 10.61%
Boston fleeced Dallas. 13 7.26%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-04-2013, 06:14 PM
qc
#FireChiarelli

vCash: 69
Poll: Reaction to Seguin/Eriksson trade?

Hey Dallas, I'm a B's fan coming in peace (believe it or not) and I'm interested to see where you guys stand on this blockbuster trade.

The reason for my curiosity is simple: Boston fans are at odds, some are outraged while some are joy-stricken.

We have a similar poll on our board, but I was wondering what the consensus is in Dallas. This poll is not meant to spark an angry debate but to give me and other Boston fans an understanding on how you all took today's news. Enjoy the holiday folks!

Last edited by qc: 07-04-2013 at 06:18 PM. Reason: the poll options are essentially the same in the bruins thread
qc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:14 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

vCash: 500
Booo trade. Seguin needs to grow up for any of us to legitimately call it a good trade.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:27 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Booo trade. Seguin needs to grow up for any of us to legitimately call it a good trade.
Sure, there is risk, but that's the only way a deal like this could happen.

No one is going to trade a first line center without issues for what the Stars gave up.

Troy McClure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:31 PM
Dirty Kari

Its very fair. I was happy with an Eriksson for Seguin swap a few weeks ago and am glad it actually happened.

Dirty Kari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:32 PM
Double 0 Loui
Rookie User

If I could vote on this poll, I'd say both teams walked out of the deal filling significant needs, so it's a fair deal. However, I do think that in the long run, Boston will come out on top only because they filled needs now AND in the future.

Boston needed the cap relief and acquired cheap contracts in return, along with one of the best (most underrated) two-way players in the league. Fraser and Smith are perfect players to fill holes on the bottom 6, while Morrow could definitely be a top 4 defenseman in the near future. Boston stays a contender now and still benefits in the future from 3 good prospects.

Double 0 Loui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:35 PM
RastaRockett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double 0 Loui View Post
If I could vote on this poll, I'd say both teams walked out of the deal filling significant needs, so it's a fair deal. However, I do think that in the long run, Boston will come out on top only because they filled needs now AND in the future.

Boston needed the cap relief and acquired cheap contracts in return, along with one of the best (most underrated) two-way players in the league. Fraser and Smith are perfect players to fill holes on the bottom 6, while Morrow could definitely be a top 4 defenseman in the near future. Boston stays a contender now and still benefits in the future from 3 good prospects.
How did Dallas not do this?

Seguin is all about the future (and now) and we even got another roster player we needed now in Peverly. Sure we gave up some prospects but we have other prospects who are better at their respective positions.

RastaRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:43 PM
Double 0 Loui
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RastaRockett View Post
How did Dallas not do this?

Seguin is all about the future (and now) and we even got another roster player we needed now in Peverly. Sure we gave up some prospects but we have other prospects who are better at their respective positions.
Boston are already a much better team than us and arguably became even better. Seguin is good, but not in the same league as Eriksson now. Seguin's a fairly one-dimensional player but has plenty of room to grow.

The part you seem to have missed is that we don't become a better team now AND in the future like Boston has. We just become a better team in the future if Seguin reaches his potential imo.

Old
07-04-2013, 06:44 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Boston are already a much better team than us and arguably became even better. Seguin is good, but not in the same league as Eriksson now. Seguin's a fairly one-dimensional player but has plenty of room to grow.

The part you seem to have missed is that we don't become a better team now AND in the future like Boston has. We just become a better team in the future if Seguin reaches his potential imo.
So how are we not a better team now? :gets popcorn:

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:46 PM
Double 0 Loui
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
So how are we not a better team now? :gets popcorn:
Eriksson vs. Seguin? Who's the better overall player right now?

Old
07-04-2013, 06:49 PM
RastaRockett

Quote:

I disagree, we fill our two biggest needs now and we have the greatest potential out of the trade. We already have the pieces in place to replace Loui (Nichushkin/Chiasson) and we put Benn back where he belongs. It makes this team better right now and the future looks great. I could care less about losing potential bottom 6 guys that can be replaced. We kept (minus Morrow) all of our higher end prospects.

I voted good trade for both sides.

Old
07-04-2013, 06:51 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Eriksson vs. Seguin? Who's the better overall player right now?
So the team would currently be better off with Louie and no top 6 centers?

Remember that Benn will be returning to his natural position where he's beast mode 2-4-7, and Seguin has already had a 29 goal, 67 point season. Oh yeah and Seguin is only 21 and already a #1 center.

Looks like we got a lot better today, even if we did trade a fantastic winger.

Old
07-04-2013, 06:51 PM
Double 0 Loui
Rookie User

Quote:
I disagree, we fill our two biggest needs now and we have the greatest potential out of the trade. We already have the pieces in place to replace Loui (Nichushkin/Chiasson) and we put Benn back where he belongs. It makes this team better right now and the future looks great. I could care less about losing potential bottom 6 guys that can be replaced. We kept (minus Morrow) all of our high end prospects.
Agree to disagree. For the life of me, I can't understand how Nichushkin or Chiasson can even come close to replacing Loui's offensive production and defensive efficiency in the coming season. Thus, we can replace Loui in the future with those pieces, but definitely not in the immediate coming season.

Old
07-04-2013, 06:53 PM
Double 0 Loui
Rookie User

Quote:
So the team would currently be better off with Louie and no top 6 centers?

Remember that Benn will be returning to his natural position where he's beast mode 2-4-7, and Seguin has already had a 29 goal, 67 point season. Oh yeah and Seguin is only 21 and already a #1 center.

Looks like we got a lot better today, even if we did trade a fantastic winger.
Yes, I think we would be a better team today if instead of making this trade, we signed a UFA center. However, I think this trade makes us a better team in the future.

when has Seguin ever been a #1 center? He's played RW for the majority of this past season and has interchanged between there and C throughout his entire NHL career thus far.

Old
07-04-2013, 06:54 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by not just Seguin, but Chiasson and Nichushkin man.

Old
07-04-2013, 06:56 PM
RastaRockett

Quote:
Agree to disagree. For the life of me, I can't understand how Nichushkin or Chiasson can even come close to replacing Loui's offensive production and defensive efficiency in the coming season. Thus, we can replace Loui in the future with those pieces, but definitely not in the immediate coming season.
We will lose on Loui's production on the wing immediately, I agree with you there. However I think adding Seguin/Peverly will help the young guys out on the wing while also drastically upgrading center. So we lose a little bit of Loui's production on the wing but we also upgrade the production at two center spots. You can factor Benn into the wing equation now also so overall I think we are a better team immediately and in the future.

Old
07-04-2013, 06:59 PM
Double 0 Loui
Rookie User

Quote:
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by not just Seguin, but Chiasson and Nichushkin man.
Has nothing to do with what we lose in Loui NOW though. I still think we become a better team in the future, whether that be in 2 or 3 years.

I said I would have voted fair deal between both teams. I just think Boston can be considered a slight winner because they remain a contender, received some cheap contracts that can play in the bottom 6, got rid of Peverley's contract and acquired a relatively high quality prospect in Morrow.

Old
07-04-2013, 07:02 PM
Double 0 Loui
Rookie User

Quote:
We will lose on Loui's production on the wing immediately, I agree with you there. However I think adding Seguin/Peverly will help the young guys out on the wing while also drastically upgrading center. So we lose a little bit of Loui's production on the wing but we also upgrade the production at two center spots. You can factor Benn into the wing equation now also so overall I think we are a better team immediately and in the future.
I agree with you mostly. I just think we'll need to see if Seguin can actually justify being played as a center. From all I've seen, he looks like a better fit on the wing thus far. Good on the draw, but lacks the playmaking and defensive responsibility of what I'd like to see from a 1st line center.

When you start discussing how two players will compensate for the production of one departing player, I think it's quite obvious that we may benefit more in the long-term (if Chiasson and Nichushkin pan out of course). We don't become a WORSE team now by any means, I just don't think we IMMEDIATELY become a better team now as a result of this trade.

Understand what I'm saying?

Old
07-04-2013, 07:07 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
I agree with you mostly. I just think we'll need to see if Seguin can actually justify being played as a center. From all I've seen, he looks like a better fit on the wing thus far. Good on the draw, but lacks the playmaking and defensive responsibility of what I'd like to see from a 1st line center.

When you start discussing how two players will compensate for the production of one departing player, I think it's quite obvious that we may benefit more in the long-term (if Chiasson and Nichushkin pan out of course). We don't become a WORSE team now by any means, I just don't think we IMMEDIATELY become a better team now as a result of this trade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TWXU...e_gdata_player

Old
07-04-2013, 07:09 PM
haf

Quote:
Has nothing to do with what we lose in Loui NOW though. I still think we become a better team in the future, whether that be in 2 or 3 years.

I said I would have voted fair deal between both teams. I just think Boston can be considered a slight winner because they remain a contender, received some cheap contracts that can play in the bottom 6, got rid of Peverley's contract and acquired a relatively high quality prospect in Morrow.
Yeah man. Fair deal for both squads. I see what you mean, and totally agree, about Loui being the better player right now, but (saw that coming, I am sure) both Seguin and Benn have been playing out of position thus far and this trade moves them both back to their natural spots. Many of us disagree, but I think that is fairly substantial. I think we are better now, just for that. Benn will be a better player and we will finally have a #1 center. Better players don't make a better team and all of that jazz.

Though it is hard to argue that most of benefit of this trade for us is long-term and Boston did themselves pretty right in the process. If we took the short end a tad bit, it is only to being the team of need and honestly i think it could have been much worse.

haf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 07:12 PM
Double 0 Loui
Rookie User

Yeah so what if he was touted as having good potential as a center heading into the draft? Ask most Boston fans, he's done nothing to justify that he was worthy of that reputation in the NHL thus far (making others better and being a playmaker). Very one-dimensional right now, definitely needs work on his defensive play and his passing. More of a speedster and scorer at this point.

Old
07-04-2013, 07:13 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Yeah so what if he was touted as having good potential as a center heading into the draft? Ask most Boston fans, he's done nothing to justify that he was worthy of that reputation in the NHL thus far (making others better and being a playmaker). Very one-dimensional right now, definitely needs work on his defensive play and his passing. More of a speedster and scorer at this point.
I think I'll trust our scouts, GM, and coach on this one.

Old
07-04-2013, 07:13 PM
chirrrs

Do you need a certain amount of posts to vote on polls or something?

I'm with the 82% right now who say it's an even trade for both teams. Personally, I'm thrilled with the return, and don't mind giving up a guy who will likely be just past his best years when we are a competitive team again.

Giving up Loui, perhaps our best player, is tough. I agree though that in the long run, this could be another home run for Dallas.

chirrrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 07:16 PM
Double 0 Loui
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by haf View Post
Yeah man. Fair deal for both squads. I see what you mean, and totally agree, about Loui being the better player right now, but (saw that coming, I am sure) both Seguin and Benn have been playing out of position thus far and this trade moves them both back to their natural spots. Many of us disagree, but I think that is fairly substantial. I think we are better now, just for that. Benn will be a better player and we will finally have a #1 center. Better players don't make a better team and all of that jazz.

Though it is hard to argue that most of benefit of this trade for us is long-term and Boston did themselves pretty right in the process. If we took the short end a tad bit, it is only to being the team of need and honestly i think it could have been much worse.
Definitely agree with this. I think moving Benn and Seguin back into their natural positions will be big down the road, but I still think the benefits might not be immediate.

In terms of players coming in and departing, I don't think we necessarily become a better team now. Positionally and from a depth chart perspective, the trade makes a ton of sense, but I'm not convinced we IMMEDIATELY become a better team now.

Old
07-04-2013, 07:18 PM
Double 0 Loui
Rookie User

Quote:
I think I'll trust our scouts, GM, and coach on this one.
Yeah because the Bruins GM and coach had no idea of what they were doing right?

Again, potential to play center has nothing do with how he's done when played at this position thus far in his career. He's just not seen the same success at center as he has on the wing.

Old
07-04-2013, 07:24 PM
RastaRockett

Quote:

I definitely understand, and I don't disagree with you. I just think with moving Benn back to the wing we are going to produce just fine there this year.