HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Poll: Reaction to Seguin/Eriksson trade?

View Poll Results: What do you think of the deal?
Dallas fleeced Boston 10 5.59%
Dallas got the better of the deal, but it could've been better 20 11.17%
It's a fair deal on both ends 117 65.36%
Uncomfortable with the return, but it's not the end of the world 19 10.61%
Boston fleeced Dallas. 13 7.26%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-05-2013, 09:12 AM
Arno Dorian

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Booo trade. Seguin needs to grow up for any of us to legitimately call it a good trade.
They said the same thing about the maturity level of a certain current Conn Smythe winner in Chicago.

Arno Dorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:52 AM
Archgoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
If you watched Loui this season, you would remove just about all of those ">"s from your post. Eriksson looked like he had mono all season. He was slow, turned the puck over a lot, wasn't very good in his own end, and flubbed a number of scoring opportunities.

Seguin outscored Eriksson this season, and that wasn't by accident.

After four fantastic seasons from Loui, it was a shock to see how plain he was. For your sake, I hope all the excuses about the short season are correct.
I am not sure what you were watching. I watched every game and yes Loui did have a down year, but he was far from being mediocre. He struggled to score, and just seemed really unlucky this year which seemed to wane on his confidence. I don't know how many times I saw him hit the post or just miss the net for a goal.

He was still an extremely effective player defensively. I personally think he was the Stars best player outside of maybe Lehtonen. His scoring may be replaced, but it will be tough to replace his 2-way play.

Boston should ecstatic about this trade. I am happy to have Seguin though, just tough to lose Eriksson.

Archgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 10:09 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archgoat View Post
I personally think he was the Stars best player outside of maybe Lehtonen.
That really isn't saying a lot at all with this past season's team.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 10:09 AM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr GLU View Post
Forget Kevin Connauton, the other guy we traded for that outscored Morrow in the regular season and playoffs?
Connauton is 3 years older to the point where he is no longer waiver exempt, so he should be dominating at the AHL level if he is a legit prospect. Remember he was garbage in Chicago before the trade, as nearly every Canucks fan said when the deal happened.

Morrow needs a year or two of AHL time to be ready for the big show, but I think his ceiling is much higher.

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 10:19 AM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archgoat View Post
I am not sure what you were watching. I watched every game and yes Loui did have a down year, but he was far from being mediocre. He struggled to score, and just seemed really unlucky this year which seemed to wane on his confidence. I don't know how many times I saw him hit the post or just miss the net for a goal.

He was still an extremely effective player defensively. I personally think he was the Stars best player outside of maybe Lehtonen. His scoring may be replaced, but it will be tough to replace his 2-way play.

Boston should ecstatic about this trade. I am happy to have Seguin though, just tough to lose Eriksson.
I guess I go back to saying he looked like he was playing with mono. That was the joke early on. It's like he was skating with no energy or while having 60 pounds of weights strapped to his back.

I wondered if he was playing hurt, but his subpar play continued too far into the season for him to be nursing an injury. Maybe it was conditioning or something like that, but he was not the same player as in past seasons. He certainly wasn't the best player on the team. Loui looked slow and lost a lot more puck battles than I'm used to seeing him lose. He wasn't especially effective in either end of the ice. It was strange to watch. If that's the player Boston gets, they're going to be very pissed.

Troy McClure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 10:33 AM
krauts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
I guess I go back to saying he looked like he was playing with mono. That was the joke early on. It's like he was skating with no energy or while having 60 pounds of weights strapped to his back.

I wondered if he was playing hurt, but his subpar play continued too far into the season for him to be nursing an injury. Maybe it was conditioning or something like that, but he was not the same player as in past seasons. He certainly wasn't the best player on the team. Loui looked slow and lost a lot more puck battles than I'm used to seeing him lose. He wasn't especially effective in either end of the ice. It was strange to watch. If that's the player Boston gets, they're going to be very pissed.
Well I hope not. Can't say as I watched much (any) Stars hockey so I am going by the few games I have seen him play in the past and by what I have heard from others (before this). I guess Seguin was much more visible to the world this year and I think that you would agree if Dallas gets that they will be pissed too. He has a ton of speed but that was about all this year. As much as I would be ostracized by my fellows for saying it, he was looking a lot like Phil Kessel, but without the goals. I should qualify that by saying he did at times play some good D, he did utilize that speed in the other direction too. I guess I question whether he will be a first line center on any team, if that is what the hope is here. But the Bs have lot of D, I like the fact that they've added a guy that seems to be a lock for 25-30 goals AND plays good D. I can see him on a line with Bergy and see that line being one of the best all-around in the league. For Dallas I think the you will be getting a very motivated player and that could turn out very well given his speed and skill.

krauts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 11:26 AM
Archgoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
That really isn't saying a lot at all with this past season's team.
I wasn't really referring to just last year, but overall play. I am agree he had a down year, but I doubt it is the beginning of a slide as he still played good 2-way play. Also, he played real well in the world cup.

I guess I can understand the mono "joke" as it was odd to not see the usual consistent play.

Archgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 02:29 PM
KrejciMVP

I dont mind if we play the kids next year and bypass paying any overpriced free agents.

KrejciMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:47 PM
Dr GLU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
Connauton is 3 years older to the point where he is no longer waiver exempt, so he should be dominating at the AHL level if he is a legit prospect. Remember he was garbage in Chicago before the trade, as nearly every Canucks fan said when the deal happened.

Morrow needs a year or two of AHL time to be ready for the big show, but I think his ceiling is much higher.
Connauton did as much or more at the same age as Morrow has. And as bad as Connauton was in Chicago, Morrow was in Wilkes-Barres, granted as a rookie.

Besides, I don't agree that Connauton's PP skills are worse than Morrow's, which is all you initially argued. I think they're very comparable. I do believe Morrow has the ability and potential to be a better overall defender with some further development. I'm not sold on Connauton's ability to hold down a regular NHL shift just yet, and of course, that likely affects his viability on the PP as well, especially with Ruff.

Dr GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:13 PM
RastaRockett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattoo View Post
I think Seguin fits that marketable role that the team is looking for to bring fans back to the AAC not to mention his proven on ice attributes.
Whatever, all they need to do is win and fans will come.

RastaRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:30 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr GLU View Post
Connauton did as much or more at the same age as Morrow has. And as bad as Connauton was in Chicago, Morrow was in Wilkes-Barres, granted as a rookie.

Besides, I don't agree that Connauton's PP skills are worse than Morrow's, which is all you initially argued. I think they're very comparable. I do believe Morrow has the ability and potential to be a better overall defender with some further development. I'm not sold on Connauton's ability to hold down a regular NHL shift just yet, and of course, that likely affects his viability on the PP as well, especially with Ruff.
I guess we have to agree to disagree. If given the choice I take Morrow 10 times out of 10 and I hope we don't look back at this deal with regrets.

Old
07-05-2013, 09:02 PM
wKetch22
Pure Grime

vCash: 50
What do you mean its a fair trade? SOMEONE HAS TO WIN!

Oh wait, you guys aren't Leaf fans. This is already a more enjoyable trade

wKetch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:33 PM
eartotheground
steam powered gmjn

Send a message via AIM to eartotheground
Quote:
Originally Posted by wKetch22 View Post
What do you mean its a fair trade? SOMEONE HAS TO WIN!

Oh wait, you guys aren't Leaf fans. This is already a more enjoyable trade

this made my day. although it would've made my day better if nill somehow added the spoon man into the equation.

eartotheground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 10:12 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

My favorite part of this poll is that with 1 exception the "Boston fleeced Dallas" voters are not from this board at all.

Old
07-06-2013, 10:05 AM
Halifaxhab*

Dallas just got alot better and younger. JN has made some solid moves and Dallas will be in the playoff hunt this season.

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:38 PM
User Name
Registered User Name

Eriksson > NTC for Lecavalier.

The Stars could have had a potential super center for much less.

User Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:08 PM
Alistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name View Post
Eriksson > NTC for Lecavalier.

The Stars could have had a potential super center for much less.
Unless they had a time machine to bring Lecavalier from a decade ago to the present no they could not.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:39 PM
William Nylander

Seguin is going to be an absolutely filthy player for you guys, congratulations. I'm jealous

William Nylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 06:19 PM
Daniel Plainview

Bruins fan here. As far as my thoughts on this trade, I'll just paste something I posted on the Bruins forum

Remember, this is directed at my fellow Bruins fans....

I'm not gonna lie. Short term, I like the way our roster looks right now. This coupled with Iginla makes for a formadable first two lines. But still.....I don't like this trade

I don't like this trade, because if it works out, it's good, not great, not amazing....just good. It means Seguin never really improves much and Eriksson keeps doing what he does. Score 20-25 goals and play some solid D

But it doesn't, it's not bad. It's not really bad. It's fricken TERRIBLE!!!! It has the potential to be "why did we do that?" "I can't believe we had that guy?" Regret it forever, kind of bad

Seguin is 21. We drafted him 2nd overall. He led our team in scoring his second year. He had a bit of a slump in a lockout shortened season and we gave up on him already. That doesn't seem REALLY fast to anyone else? I know he likes to party. A 21 year old, good looking, in shape, rich and famous kid likes to go out and drink and get girls. What a shock. But do we really think there's a better than 50/50 chance that he never grows out of that and do we really think there's a better than 50/50 chance that this super fast skating kid who's shown already that he has a hell of a shot and can make some sick stick to stick passes and came within a HAIR of 30 goals during a season where he was flippin 19 years old for most of it, ISN'T going to get any better?

You do realize what "getting better" means, when you're talking about a 19 year old who scored 29 goals, right? We're talking about someone who could score 30-45 goals every season for the next 10 years. Eriksson is a nice two way player, but he is NOT going to do THAT for us

I hope I'm wrong. Not that I wish the kid ill, but I don't want to see him succeed like that, and be wondering what if....what if it was here. But I can't be so sure that that isn't exactly what we're in for. So sorry, I can't join those here who are so HAPPY to see this kid go, and so SURE that he will never be a great player

I'm reserving my right to say I told ya so........but I won't like it. Trust me

Daniel Plainview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:09 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 5355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Plainview View Post
Bruins fan here. As far as my thoughts on this trade, I'll just paste something I posted on the Bruins forum

Remember, this is directed at my fellow Bruins fans....

I'm not gonna lie. Short term, I like the way our roster looks right now. This coupled with Iginla makes for a formadable first two lines. But still.....I don't like this trade

I don't like this trade, because if it works out, it's good, not great, not amazing....just good. It means Seguin never really improves much and Eriksson keeps doing what he does. Score 20-25 goals and play some solid D

But it doesn't, it's not bad. It's not really bad. It's fricken TERRIBLE!!!! It has the potential to be "why did we do that?" "I can't believe we had that guy?" Regret it forever, kind of bad

Seguin is 21. We drafted him 2nd overall. He led our team in scoring his second year. He had a bit of a slump in a lockout shortened season and we gave up on him already. That doesn't seem REALLY fast to anyone else? I know he likes to party. A 21 year old, good looking, in shape, rich and famous kid likes to go out and drink and get girls. What a shock. But do we really think there's a better than 50/50 chance that he never grows out of that and do we really think there's a better than 50/50 chance that this super fast skating kid who's shown already that he has a hell of a shot and can make some sick stick to stick passes and came within a HAIR of 30 goals during a season where he was flippin 19 years old for most of it, ISN'T going to get any better?

You do realize what "getting better" means, when you're talking about a 19 year old who scored 29 goals, right? We're talking about someone who could score 30-45 goals every season for the next 10 years. Eriksson is a nice two way player, but he is NOT going to do THAT for us

I hope I'm wrong. Not that I wish the kid ill, but I don't want to see him succeed like that, and be wondering what if....what if it was here. But I can't be so sure that that isn't exactly what we're in for. So sorry, I can't join those here who are so HAPPY to see this kid go, and so SURE that he will never be a great player

I'm reserving my right to say I told ya so........but I won't like it. Trust me
It's pretty weird to me, I think all your points are bang on. Around here people thought we gave up on Vincour too early at 21, a guy who never even showed a little bit of a spark at the NHL level, only at the AHL level. That Boston gave up on Seguin after a slumpy shortened season is really terrible.

Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:33 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
It's pretty weird to me, I think all your points are bang on. Around here people thought we gave up on Vincour too early at 21, a guy who never even showed a little bit of a spark at the NHL level, only at the AHL level. That Boston gave up on Seguin after a slumpy shortened season is really terrible.
I feel like using the phrase "gave up" isn't really warranted here. I too agree with most of what the oil tycoon had to say, but Boston didn't just rid themselves of Seguin, they acquired a solid two-way 1st line winger AND three prospects of varying potential. All of those prospects are relatively close to being able to contribute in the NHL and if one or two of them really pan out, no matter how good Seguin is for us it could be called a win/win. I see another SCF appearance for Boston while Eriksson is on the team, and if they win another Cup in the next few years it has to be worth it, right?

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:56 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I feel like using the phrase "gave up" isn't really warranted here. I too agree with most of what the oil tycoon had to say, but Boston didn't just rid themselves of Seguin, they acquired a solid two-way 1st line winger AND three prospects of varying potential. All of those prospects are relatively close to being able to contribute in the NHL and if one or two of them really pan out, no matter how good Seguin is for us it could be called a win/win. I see another SCF appearance for Boston while Eriksson is on the team, and if they win another Cup in the next few years it has to be worth it, right?
I think their window rests a lot on Chara, so loading up while he is around and also getting some decent futures and vets to take up the new cap space is good for Boston.

Old
07-07-2013, 07:58 PM
RastaRockett

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I agree, and if Seguin had a lower cap hit there is no way he leaves Boston.

RastaRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:47 AM
haf

Quote:
Originally Posted by RastaRockett View Post
I agree, and if Seguin had a lower cap hit there is no way he leaves Boston.
This. It was the contract that created this situation more than Seguin's play or partying.

haf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:18 AM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by haf View Post
This. It was the contract that created this situation more than Seguin's play or partying.
Which is kind of funny because that contract on our team is brilliant IF he comes in, does his job, and performs up to his pedigree as our 1st line center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
I think their window rests a lot on Chara, so loading up while he is around and also getting some decent futures and vets to take up the new cap space is good for Boston.
I would agree with you. The only caveat to this would be if Hamilton proves to be a stud, then their window gets a hell of a lot longer, especially considering their top 2 centers are only late 20's now.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote