HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Poll: Reaction to Seguin/Eriksson trade?

View Poll Results: What do you think of the deal?
Dallas fleeced Boston 10 5.59%
Dallas got the better of the deal, but it could've been better 20 11.17%
It's a fair deal on both ends 117 65.36%
Uncomfortable with the return, but it's not the end of the world 19 10.61%
Boston fleeced Dallas. 13 7.26%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-08-2013, 08:31 AM
HockeyMomx2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtatx View Post
They said the same thing about the maturity level of a certain current Conn Smythe winner in Chicago.
The difference right now is this: When Patrick Kane was spoken to about it by management and the veterans on his team, he cleaned himself up and focused on the what he needed to be doing both on and off the ice to ensure a successful career. Tyler Sequin was spoken to about it before he signed his extension. Then again during the season. Then again during the playoffs. Those are just the 3 times we know about, there could easily have been more. None of those conversations changed what he was doing. You can't live the "Junior Lifestyle" while playing in the NHL and succeed on your talent alone. That is what he attempted to do this past season. It didn't work. Hopefully Rex, Whitney or someone else out there can get through to him, because out here even Bergy couldn't. For me, the most telling point of all of this was when Bergeron came out and said he needed to focus on his commitment to the game and mature. Bergeron never calls out anyone publicly. Ever. Until this kid. I honestly hope having less of a public persona and being an unknown/un-cared about entity in addition to having Rex and Whitney working with him that he will have an amazing career out there. Could end up being the best move for the kids career if he handles it the right way and your team will receive the benefits of that because the kid does have some amazing talent.

HockeyMomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 08:39 AM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
We really appreciate all this input from you fans who are so close to the situation. Really, we do. I think we've got this from here Boston. If he acts up I'm sure you'll be the first to hear about it. As of now, I'd rather concern myself with who's going to start the season on his right wing.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 08:45 AM
HockeyMomx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I feel like using the phrase "gave up" isn't really warranted here. I too agree with most of what the oil tycoon had to say, but Boston didn't just rid themselves of Seguin, they acquired a solid two-way 1st line winger AND three prospects of varying potential. All of those prospects are relatively close to being able to contribute in the NHL and if one or two of them really pan out, no matter how good Seguin is for us it could be called a win/win. I see another SCF appearance for Boston while Eriksson is on the team, and if they win another Cup in the next few years it has to be worth it, right?
Also have to keep in mind that Boston is by and large an organization that has a 'team first' mentality from the FO to the players. You are either on board with that or you're not. Including what needs to be done in order to play within their system on the ice. When a player is blowing off what could and should be time off the ice working out, adding muscle, etc. so they can spend more time with their puck bunny followers and frat house friends it's not a good sign of someone being a 'team first' person. They are putting themselves first. Then add to that conversations had with said player regarding these things and they say all the right things in that meeting and sound sincere enough that you literally rip up their ELC and give them an extension that will make them over $35 million dollars, and then see it thrown in your face by the same behavoir continuing, how are you supposed to take that? Then you have another conversation with him. Give him another chance. Then he does it again. During the playoffs, while the rest of your team is literally killing themselves and playing on broken legs, broken ribs and dislocated shoulders in order to put the team first, how are you supposed to take that? Personally, I'd take that as the person didn't care about the team one bit. They cared about themselves and themselves only. The "me first" mentality is what got him traded. Not his off year numbers wise. If he had put up any kind of mentionable numbers in the playoffs this year WHILE partying away like he did, he would still be here. If you can live that life and still produce on the ice, you'll be left alone. But if you can't, you can bet your bosses are going to call you out on it. Again, as I've said before, hopefully Dallas can get him to turn things around. Just keep him away from the college areas, the boy seems to be really bummed about missing out on "college years" when one looks at how much time he spends at campus', frat houses and his list of friends that aren't really friends.

As for feeling like we made a mistake a few years from now when he's putting up 80 point seasons, I don't think I will. I really don't think he'd ever be able to be that kind of player in our system. There's too much defensive responsibility required of our players and the kid is definitely offensively minded, rightfully so. The combination of Dallas' system, Rex/Whitney and no one really caring about hockey players out there could just be the perfect solution to this whole Tyler situation.

HockeyMomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:05 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
This is going to be like the Ryder trade where other fanbases slowly repost the same thing every 24 hours, isn't it?

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:45 AM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
This is going to be like the Ryder trade where other fanbases slowly repost the same thing every 24 hours, isn't it?
Tomorrow somebody is going to post the FMJ tweet with a message wishing us luck with our new locker room cancer, the next day it will be a Habs fan laughing that our GM is Bob Gainey, and the day after that it will be someone making references to our GM being dumb because of the Neal trade.

Mr Misty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:27 PM
DoubleAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by haf View Post
This. It was the contract that created this situation more than Seguin's play or partying.
I see it this way as well. Much of the party stuff is media spin. Definitely needs to get that twitter/instagram under control, but quite honestly I'd be more surprised if 21 year old millionaires DIDN'T party like Seguin

DoubleAAAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 06:37 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
Tomorrow somebody is going to post the FMJ tweet with a message wishing us luck with our new locker room cancer, the next day it will be a Habs fan laughing that our GM is Bob Gainey, and the day after that it will be someone making references to our GM being dumb because of the Neal trade.
The Bob-Gainey-GM insults always had me laughing, considering his history with our organization.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 07:30 PM
RastaRockett

If anybody is interested in the Chiarelli conference call the other day here is the transcript.

http://bostonsportsdesk.wordpress.co...-seguin-trade/

Here is some nice highlights of him over in Switzerland during the lockout. He probably just went for the Swiss girls and partys though.

40pts and 25 goals in 29 games over there. Wow!

I'm still trying to figure out how one can be this good if they never work hard.

Last edited by RastaRockett: 07-08-2013 at 07:44 PM.
RastaRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 09:36 PM
scoutcjustice

Those flame decal jerseys and helmets for the top scorer are amazing. Absolutely amazing.

scoutcjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 09:41 PM
Primetimey

vCash: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by RastaRockett View Post
I'm still trying to figure out how one can be this good if they never work hard.
He works hard

Primetimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:20 PM
BobbyAwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetimey View Post
He works hard

There he is chummin' it up with a Montreal Canadien...no wonder he had to go

BobbyAwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 07:20 AM
maswe12

Bruins fan here with mixed feelings about the trade, although I agree with a poster above that no matter how great he does in Dallas, it was not going to happen in Boston. That said, these stories of drinking and not working hard NEVER were an issue before late in this season and the playoffs. I think he does put effort into his game (and his partying). Not once did he come off as a spoiled jack#$%. During the slump in the playoffs, he faced the media EVERY day which is more than I can say for most of his teammates.

I felt that since he got back from Europe his spacing and hockey sense were all thrown out of whack and he didn't seem able to adjust back to the NHL- which falls both on him and some of our coaches. Too many fruitless moves and shots from the perimeter and eventually he was snake bitten. I think a good offseason and new coaches/system will do the trick. I am looking forward to seeing him "fit" better in the Dallas system than he did in Boston knowing that it wasn't going to happen with us. Hopefully the trade works out for both teams and for the players involve.

maswe12 is offline   Reply With Quote