HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Brian Gionta vs David Desharnais - Which one goes?

View Poll Results: Which one goes?
Brian Gionta 61 21.40%
David Desharnais 86 30.18%
Both will be dealt 46 16.14%
Neither, they will both stay Habs 92 32.28%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-04-2013, 06:39 PM
Ezpz
No mad pls

vCash: 50
Both. Down the right side our depth right now is Gallagher Gionta Briere.

Ezpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:45 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
This may surprise a few, but I'm tempted to vote against the older and more expensive. I mean, surely DD plus $1.5 million in cap space becomes more useful than Gionta, now that Briere has become part of the equation. Problem with Gionta is two-fold, though: a) he has a NTC, and b) he's UFA after next season. If they try to deal him any time next year, they'll have to ask him to waive his NTC, and if it's mid-season, he'll only garner the return of your "typical" older veteran rental who's impending UFA anyway. Maybe they don't see his situation/position as a target for improvement. I mean, he has the competitiveness that Bergevin likes... it's just that he also brings declining effectiveness attached to that last year of an expensive contract.

He (Gionta) has the most trade value right now that he'll have any time until the 2014 off season (when he can leave for nothing). Do they decide to keep him around, and wait until then to re-evaluate his "value"? Do they end up just letting him go for nothing anyway, unable to come to a new deal? I think Briere kinda makes Gionta redundant, but you have to think that for one season, having Briere and Gionta makes the team stronger than Briere and DD in terms of competitiveness - particularly in the playoffs. I don't even know how feasible it is to keep all 3 around, but I suspect we're going to see, lol.

So if I'm asked for opinion, I'd say Gionta, I suppose (both, honestly). If I'm asked which I think happens first, though, logistics and "value" assessment likely make DD the safer bet, but I fear there's a strong possibility of option #4.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:47 PM
KoZed

Gionta. Better trade him for anything you can get than lose him for nothing to free agency.

Also because with the season he just had, DD is worthless. Better to trade Gio now, and see if DD can re-up his value, then move DD as well.

KoZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:49 PM
Ginu

Wow. Who chose captain Gionta and his one year left over Desharnais? No wonder our fan base is so messed up.

Gionta can't be moved after his two bicep surgeries.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:52 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Wow. Who chose captain Gionta and his one year left over Desharnais? No wonder our fan base is so messed up.
Who thinks Gionta was the best choice for captain, and that he should have even been here for the full 5 years in the first place?

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 06:54 PM
Ezpz
No mad pls

I can't see how people would think Gionta should be moved over Desharnais. That gives us one of the worst top 6's in the league defensively.

Can you even imagine how bad a Patches-DD-Briere line +/- would be?

Ezpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 07:12 PM
knuck
On and off fan

I'm afraid, no, terrified, it'll actually be plek who gets traded

knuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 07:27 PM
TT1

i think plekanec is gonna get traded, the only way this signing makes any sense is if we use briere as a 1C stop gap for the next 2 seasons.

that being said we could also trade DD and have briere play as our 2nd C.. that makes less sense because were basically replacing DD with the same type of player (whos also older). and a trade for DD wont bring us anything significant back

TT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 07:29 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1 View Post
i think plekanec is gonna get traded, the only way this signing makes any sense is if we use briere as a 1C stop gap for the next 2 seasons.

that being said we could also trade DD and have briere play as our 2nd C.. that makes less sense because were basically replacing DD with the same type of player (whos also older). and a trade for DD wont bring us anything noteworthy back
Who is gonna be playing against the top competition of other teams? Eller? He's not ready yet. Do you remember when Plekanec went out of the game against Philly and simultaneously Giroux torched the hell out of us?

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 07:30 PM
Et le But

Quote:

that being said we could also trade DD and have briere play as our 2nd C.. that makes less sense because were basically replacing DD with the same type of player (whos also older). and a trade for DD wont bring us anything significant back
Briere hasn't been anything close to a 1C since he left Buffalo.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 07:31 PM
V-2 Schneider

Plekanec is our Carbo, he won't get dealt.

V-2 Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 07:35 PM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-2 Schneider View Post
Plekanec is our Carbo, he won't get dealt.
Ummm, Carbo got dealt.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 07:36 PM
TT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Briere hasn't been anything close to a 1C since he left Buffalo.
the line # doesnt really matter, what im trying to say is our top 3 centers are gonna be DD-briere-eller (2 year stop gap so galchenyuk has enough time to develop and isnt forced into a situation hes not ready for). i would rather see DD go but that wouldnt accomplish anything seeing as DD and briere pretty much bring the same aspects to the table

Old
07-04-2013, 07:38 PM
TennisMenace

Some of you guys are delusional. No one wants our near 4 million dollar smurf. He's a Hab for 3 more years and beyond.

Apparently size still doesn't matter to us.

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 07:40 PM
Rosso Scuderia

DD by a mile. He is redundant. We have no spot for him in our line up, center or wings. And still have 4 years left in his contract.

Gionta brings leadership, can still score 20g, better playoffs performer and shorter contract.

I dont see MB being able to trade DD though.

Rosso Scuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 07:42 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
the line # doesnt really matter, what im trying to say is our top 3 centers are gonna be DD-briere-eller (2 year stop gap so galchenyuk has enough time to develop and isnt forced into a situation hes not ready for). i would rather see DD go but that wouldnt accomplish anything seeing as DD and briere pretty much bring the same aspects to the table
That is a terrible group of center to go to war with.

People needs to realize that Briere will not be as good as he was with the Flyers.

Old
07-04-2013, 07:45 PM
Mats86

Doubt either. Both have nil trade value with their contracts. Only smurf who has trade value is Plekanec

Mats86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 07:45 PM
Brainiac

vCash: 552
Both of them will stay. Eller will be traded for Edler because the guy who stitches the letters just got a raise.

Brainiac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 07:46 PM
TT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post

People needs to realize that Briere will not be as good as he was with the Flyers.
no doubt, its still better than forcing galchenyuk into a situation that hes not ready for.
toronto went to game 7 vs boston with tyler ****ing bozak as their 1C, if it comes down to that im sure we'd be able to manage it

Old
07-04-2013, 07:48 PM
Brainiac

vCash: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post

People need to realize that Briere is past his expiry date. 0.47PPG last year, down from 0.7.

My prediction is around 10g, 25a for him this year.

Brainiac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 07:49 PM
LyricalLyricist

Neither will get traded. They both have a role on the team but it is somewhat redundant with briere. I hope habs make a trade for a strong physical defensive D to make our D harder to play against. If it takes DD or Gionta, fine by me.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 07:49 PM
Et le But

Quote:
The idea of going into the season with DD, Briere and Eller as our centers absolutely horrifies me. I get Plekanec has value and if a great deal comes he's not untouchable, but I can't see good things coming out of having one of DD or Briere cope with top 6 forwards, and expecting Eller to play consistent against the Crosbys and Girouxs of the league.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 07:51 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
no doubt, its still better than forcing galchenyuk into a situation that hes not ready for.
toronto went to game 7 vs boston with tyler ****ing bozak as their 1C, if it comes down to that im sure we'd be able to manage it
I'd be more comfortable with Plekanec, Eller and Galchenyuk.

Trade DD for a pick and use that money to put some size in the wings.

Old
07-04-2013, 07:52 PM
lou

Both need to go imo for the Habs to be successful.

lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 07:53 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

They're really, really not comparable players outside of being tiny people.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote