HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers looking to aquire Alex Pietrangelo

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2013, 07:32 AM
RinaldoZac
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 1046
Flyers looking to aquire Alex Pietrangelo

There was some speculation yesterday that the Flyers were looking to aquire Alex Pietrangelo form the St. Louis Blues via an offer sheet or trade. Currntly the Flyers are over the cap by about $1 million. If Coburn and Mezaros are traded the Flyers would have $7,446,478 (capgeek.com) whatever Gange will be making.

Offer Sheet
Would a offer sheet in the range of $7 million a year get Alex Pietrangelo? The Blues have cap room. Would he be worth two 1st Round Picks, 2nd, 3rd for a contract over $6,728,781 To $8,410,976?

Trade
What would it cost to get Pietrangelo or Yandle? Couturier would likely be involved.

UPDATE
Blues GM Doug Armstrong is believed to want two top 6 forwards + for Pietrangelo

“@ALLsportsINTEL: NHL - When I spoke with a source earlier about cost for Pietrangelo and Flyers chances, he said it would take 2 top 6 forwards plus.”

Last edited by RinaldoZac: 07-06-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old
07-06-2013, 07:47 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

vCash: 500
Where is this speculation from? We don't have the space or assets to obtain Alex P. Its a pipe drean at this point.

Old
07-06-2013, 08:09 AM
Jack de la Hoya

We aren't getting Pietrangelo via offersheet--we don't have the cap space to make any sort of offer. We certainly couldn't offer him $7+ per year--we're straddling the cap as it is now...

A trade is technically possible, but extraordinarily unlikely.

(Yandle is much more plausible, but most on this board aren't big fans of his game).

Old
07-06-2013, 08:10 AM
Prongo
Beer

They are keeping an eye on it. Rightfully so. We also have assets that would be appealing to get him. Remember they don't have as much cap space as they once did now, but neither do we. A trade is the only way we could get him now

Old
07-06-2013, 08:17 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post

We aren't getting Pietrangelo via offersheet--we don't have the cap space to make any sort of offer. We certainly couldn't offer him $7+ per year--we're straddling the cap as it is now...

A trade is technically possible, but extraordinarily unlikely.

(Yandle is much more plausible, but most on this board aren't big fans of his game).
Yandle is redundant with Streit already in the fold.

Since you can go over the cap by 10% of the ceiling we'd have enough space I believe. Could always trade Mez and/or Coburn after getting Pietrangelo.

Old
07-06-2013, 08:46 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post

Since you can go over the cap by 10% of the ceiling we'd have enough space I believe. Could always trade Mez and/or Coburn after getting Pietrangelo.
Since we are already near / at the cap, that 10 percent won't be enough. Obviously you can't offersheet Pietrangelo for 6.5 or 7.0 AAV. The Blues would match easily. We don't have the space for an $8.0+ offer, as far as I can tell.

Old
07-06-2013, 08:51 AM
Prongo
Beer

Yesterday I saw we had 1.9 million left to spend. That is even with the 10% cushion. We don't have the cap space

Old
07-06-2013, 08:52 AM
JoeFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post

We're aleady using some of that 10% extra (about $1.8m once Gustafsson and Wellwood accept their Qualifiying Offers / contracts). We's have to trade someone for no cap return, get Pietrangelo via the offersheet, then offload someone else for nothing after to get cap compliant. And St. Louis would just match anyway by which time we've dumped a contract that at the moment is more or less plausable to carry.

Old
07-06-2013, 08:53 AM
duffy9748

Where was this being speculated? I do believe the Flyers have the assets to give up in a trade, it would just cost a ton. I think the match anything under 8.5 mil per for sure.

Old
07-06-2013, 08:55 AM
JoeFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Yesterday I saw we had 1.9 million left to spend. That is even with the 10% cushion. We don't have the cap space
That might include the $2.8m of bonus cushion that we can technically spend, but yeah, essentially we are into the 'bonus' offseason cap...

Old
07-06-2013, 08:57 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
Where was this being speculated? I do believe the Flyers have the assets to give up in a trade, it would just cost a ton. I think the match anything under 8.5 mil per for sure.
Timmy p and even Sarah baicker have said we are keeping our eyes in him. We are watching the situation very closely.

We would have to trade for him. We would have to include Coburn and couts then add more. That would clear at least 5.7 million in salary, making it possible he could fit into out cap situation. He wants 7+ per year also. St. Louis has 11.8 I believe in space, never spend to the cap, and also need to sign Stewart. Just a team to watch. Just like Nashville last year, I believe there is a chance something happens. Everyone denied weber was getting an offer sheet or even in trade talks, but he was. Hopefully same situation here

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...d-our-team-lot

Quote:
Free agent watch
The Flyers are monitoring the situation in St. Louis where defenseman Alex Pietroangelo has not yet accepted his RFA qualifying offer sheet. It would take a lot to pry him from the Blues.

Old
07-06-2013, 08:59 AM
MP92

delete

Old
07-06-2013, 09:05 AM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

Quote:
They are keeping an eye on it. Rightfully so. We also have assets that would be appealing to get him. Remember they don't have as much cap space as they once did now, but neither do we. A trade is the only way we could get him now
This is no knock on the Flyers assets, but I disagree. Only because STL has depth at every prospect position and good looking talent. The team floundered last season but it was the lockout and everyone seemed to slump...yadda yadda.

STL has very strong looking forward prospects. They have the ability to move a forward to cut cap and let one of the kids play, like Jaskins.

Now, I'd never say never because moves come out of no where that don't make sense to me. That said, I'd bet a lot on a trade not happening for Pietro.

Unless it hits the media that Pietro wants out of STL, it would be very hard for a GM to let a young dman like that move.

if Pietro got an offer sheet, STL would trade Stewart and others to make cap space available to match, imho.

Old
07-06-2013, 09:10 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by F0rsbergFan21 View Post
This is no knock on the Flyers assets, but I disagree. Only because STL has depth at every prospect position and good looking talent. The team floundered last season but it was the lockout and everyone seemed to slump...yadda yadda.

STL has very strong looking forward prospects. They have the ability to move a forward to cut cap and let one of the kids play, like Jaskins.

Now, I'd never say never because moves come out of no where that don't make sense to me. That said, I'd bet a lot on a trade not happening for Pietro.

Unless it hits the media that Pietro wants out of STL, it would be very hard for a GM to let a young dman like that move.

if Pietro got an offer sheet, STL would trade Stewart and others to make cap space available to match, imho.
St Louis largest organizational need is center. We have two young potential 1/2 liners in Couts and Schenn. They were in on Filppula and also Weiss. They know they need a play making center for their system, they sorely lack that. They have good wingers, but Rattie might not have his game traslate to the NHL as well as some think. Some people are extremely high on him, while others aren't. Of course they have Tarasenko and Schwartz at wing though. The do need a top end center. Schenn is a better fit because he has already started to produce. I actually expect a 50-55 point year from him next year.

I honestly believe if it does come to Petro actually being available, Homer would be willing to part with Schenn or Couts+Coburn. He is exactly what this team needs to build around for the next 10-15 years. If he wasn't willing to move those pieces, fans would be pissed. Now only problem with it is Perto is very young. Flyers might not value him like a Weber or Pronger because he is still somewhat "unproven" I guess is what I am trying to say.

Old
07-06-2013, 09:12 AM
GingerFetish

Send a message via Skype™ to GingerFetish
Dump Mez, trade Coburn and Talbot to MTL, then offer sheet Alex

Old
07-06-2013, 09:17 AM
FlyingPhilly

Of course, Prongo has posted the most so far in this thread.

If only it were that easy to get someone like Pietrangelo.

Old
07-06-2013, 09:28 AM
feedingschennzy

If there were ever an offseason, it's this one. Seguin, Ryan, Eriksson moving shows teams more willing to deal. At the same time, it's such a pipe dream I haven't even thought about it. I like our offseason, no need to hit the grand slam

Old
07-06-2013, 09:31 AM
flyersfromquebec

trade Talbot, grossman, mez (9,250m) for pick and young players (18-21yo)

Offer sheet Pietrangelo 7.500m for 7 years

Homer's way!!
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($4.500m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Scott Laughton ($1.107m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Matt Read ($0.900m)
Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m) / Adam Hall ($0.600m) / Jay Rosehill ($0.675m)
Eric Wellwood ($0.594m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Alex Pietrangelo ($7.500m) / Braydon Coburn ($4.500m)
Kimmo Timonen ($6.000m) / Erik Gustafsson ($0.851m)
Mark Streit ($5.250m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Chris Pronger ($4.941m) /
GOALTENDERS
Ray Emery ($1.650m)
Steve Mason ($1.500m)
OTHER
Buyout: Oskars Bartulis ($0.100m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,410,522; BONUSES: $2,800,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $689,478

Old
07-06-2013, 09:54 AM
Alklha

vCash: 50
The Blues have $13.16m in cap space to sign Pietrangelo and Stewart, which would complete our 23 man roster.

I know there is some ideas floating about out there that the Blues won't be a cap team, but those are basically delusions. Arguing that we have never been a cap team is stupid, because we were in a rebuild and didn't need to spend the cap. Our new ownership didn't need to take on Leopold and Bouwmeester (plus discussions to acquire Miller) if we weren't willing to be a cap team. The argument also falls apart when suggesting that the Blues take $5.7m+ in salary back in any trade.

Old
07-06-2013, 09:56 AM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

Quote:
St Louis largest organizational need is center. We have two young potential 1/2 liners in Couts and Schenn. They were in on Filppula and also Weiss. They know they need a play making center for their system, they sorely lack that. They have good wingers, but Rattie might not have his game traslate to the NHL as well as some think. Some people are extremely high on him, while others aren't. Of course they have Tarasenko and Schwartz at wing though. The do need a top end center. Schenn is a better fit because he has already started to produce. I actually expect a 50-55 point year from him next year.

I honestly believe if it does come to Petro actually being available, Homer would be willing to part with Schenn or Couts+Coburn. He is exactly what this team needs to build around for the next 10-15 years. If he wasn't willing to move those pieces, fans would be pissed. Now only problem with it is Perto is very young. Flyers might not value him like a Weber or Pronger because he is still somewhat "unproven" I guess is what I am trying to say.
They have Cs that can match the production of Couts and Schenn next season. Not saying they are long term solutions, but they don't have a piece to replace Pietro. imho. I'd say they would better off trying to find a C down the road vs moving Pietro for one. Gives Berglund one more year/half year to show consistency (head scratcher). I could see them moving a Schwartz/Stewart combo for a C before Pietro.

That said, you make a sound point and I would not think it impossible of happening.

Old
07-06-2013, 10:32 AM
RinaldoZac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerFetish View Post
Dump Mez, trade Coburn and Talbot to MTL, then offer sheet Alex
Agreed

Old
07-06-2013, 10:34 AM
RinaldoZac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

100% agreeed, Pietrangelo will be a future Norris winner

Old
07-06-2013, 10:39 AM
RinaldoZac
HFBoards Sponsor

UPDATE
Blues GM Doug Armstrong is believed to want two top 6 forwards + for Pietrangelo

Old
07-06-2013, 10:41 AM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

I'm just waiting for a report to say that Piety wants out of St. Louis.

Old
07-06-2013, 10:41 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Dropping Coburn and Meszaros gives you enough money to get Pietrangelo at up to 8.5m.

I'm not going to crunch the numbers for people, but if we're cap compliant now, the logic behind us being so once salary is moved to bring in roughly the same salary makes sense.

That said, it's not happening.

Closed Thread