Notices

DAL trades Larsen/7th R ('16) to EDM for Horcoff

Old
07-07-2013, 05:07 PM
beepeearr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
The temptation with 3 2/3 tweener centers is going to be to mess with Eakin's development by having the vets handle things, which is a big fear I have. Maybe more competition will be good for him, but the tendency in the NHL is to rely on your vets. I think Fiddler is a capable 3C in case of injury and I don't think having our typical quality of replacement 4C would be so bad if we had some more firepower up front.

Meanwhile on the RW we have 2 guys with a total of 7 games of NHL experience, and the likely callup is Ritchie in case of an injury.

It just feels like we added to an area of strength instead of one of weakness.
Its about depth and competition. I think camp will be wide open this year. I think the plan is to give Peverley, Horcoff, and Eakin a chance to win the 2C slot. Plus this gives them flexibility. Peverley can slide to RW, Eakin can slide to LW, Fiddler can slide to LW too if needed. Cole and Whitney are both wings who prefer to play their off wings ie LH RW and a RH LW, but can play the other side if needed. Depending on the line combos it gives us some faceoff options to. Benn/Sequin Horcoff or Eakin and Peverley or Chiasson. Could give us three lines with a lefty and a righty capable of taking draws. Gives Ruff tons of line options, should be an interesting camp.

beepeearr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 05:24 PM
BigG44
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextDaigle View Post
But donīt you think Nill already knew you were out of the running for the UFAs of interest, before making the move? Anyway, with two years left on his deal this is not a bad contract imho.
I agree 100% ... and I kept forgetting to mention it. These teams were talking to free agents for over 48 hours before he made the Horcoff trade. He already knew what the market was going to be, and he probably weighed that information heavily before making the trade.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 05:33 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextDaigle View Post
But donīt you think Nill already knew you were out of the running for the UFAs of interest, before making the move? Anyway, with two years left on his deal this is not a bad contract imho.
It seems like a leap to say he knew we were out on all the top guys that far in advance. I'm not saying it is a bad contract until we see Ruff and Horcoff in action, but nobody anywhere is saying that the hit is good value for Horcoff's production and he's the 2nd highest cap hit forward on the team for the next two years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beepeearr View Post
Its about depth and competition. I think camp will be wide open this year. I think the plan is to give Peverley, Horcoff, and Eakin a chance to win the 2C slot. Plus this gives them flexibility. Peverley can slide to RW, Eakin can slide to LW, Fiddler can slide to LW too if needed. Cole and Whitney are both wings who prefer to play their off wings ie LH RW and a RH LW, but can play the other side if needed. Depending on the line combos it gives us some faceoff options to. Benn/Sequin Horcoff or Eakin and Peverley or Chiasson. Could give us three lines with a lefty and a righty capable of taking draws. Gives Ruff tons of line options, should be an interesting camp.
I don't want Eakin to slide to LW. Under no circumstances do I want a player who put up 24 points in 48 games primarily as a 3C with Riley Smith along side to be the one who changes position. He needs to be given more responsibility and not less, and 100% of NHL coaches are going to rely on the crappy veteran center ahead of him, especially when their new GM brings in those vets via trade and the previous GM and coach got sacked because they didn't make the playoffs.

Mr Misty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 05:42 PM
beepeearr

Quote:
It seems like a leap to say he knew we were out on all the top guys that far in advance. I'm not saying it is a bad contract until we see Ruff and Horcoff in action, but nobody anywhere is saying that the hit is good value for Horcoff's production and he's the 2nd highest cap hit forward on the team for the next two years.

I don't want Eakin to slide to LW. Under no circumstances do I want a player who put up 24 points in 48 games primarily as a 3C with Riley Smith along side to be the one who changes position. He needs to be given more responsibility and not less, and 100% of NHL coaches are going to rely on the crappy veteran center ahead of him, especially when their new GM brings in those vets via trade and the previous GM and coach got sacked because they didn't make the playoffs.
I'm hoping for more an open competition, it might not be, but that's why training camp should be interesting.

beepeearr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 05:58 PM
BigG44
HFB Partner

Quote:
As long as Dallas doesn't add another winger, why would you be concerned he would. Ruff and Nill have both spoken pretty plainly about Peverley's versatility. He's the only center I've heard them mention with the potential to play wing.

With that in consideration, you can fairly easily identify you RW's as Chiasson, Cole, Nichushkin, and Peverley. Your LW's are likely Benn, Garbutt, MacDermid, Roussel, and Whitney.

Even if they add a winger, it would likely be to play LW with Horcoff.

Now ... if they add a guy like Brunner, you probably should be worried. I don't agree with you Eakin will be damaged or held back even a little on the wing. With Brunner added to the RW, Peverley probably does slide to center with Eakin going to LW on the 3rd line. Based on their salary situation, it's far more likely they get a guy cheap like Raymond rather than spending all of their available space on a guy like Brunner.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote