HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part LXV - All Talk From Around the League Here

Closed Thread

Old
07-13-2013, 05:39 PM
Year 101

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booba View Post
Renaud Lavoie said on RDS that the Devils are happy Kovalchuk retired due their financial problems.

I'm no informateur hockey but Lameriello seemed really pissed by Kovalchuk's decision. Also, I believe that Kovalchuk had some value on the trade market.
I think its a complicated situation. No doubt losing Kovalchuk is difficult for them, he's a superstar and the best goal scorer in the NHL the past 10 seasons. However they are a cash strapped team and he was on hook for another 12 years and 77 million. I think it's complicated but I can't imagine they are that happy to lose a superstar goal scorer when they are starved for goals.

Old
07-13-2013, 06:06 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
**** eight years is longer than my first marriage .

Boston are ensuring they are in the Stanley Cup conversation for another half decade. Hopefully about the time we see the fruits of Bergevins labour coming through for us.

Meanwhile time to upgrade my dental plan for all the teeth grinding I will be doing.
I think Boston's window is much shorter, probably no more than two years. Chara will be 37 next year and has become a diminishing return. Plus, within the next three years almost their entire core becomes UFAs -- Seidenberg, Boychuk, McQuaid, Krejci, Lucic. No way can they keep the team intact.

Signing Rask and Bergeron to smaller salaries over longer terms was the only way to keep some Cap space open for the upcoming seasons. Chiarelli must know those contracts are ridiculous, but giving them more money for fewer years would've crippled their ability to sign anyone after this year. Bruins' window is about to close, gotta' lock the stars up any way you can. They'll use their meager Cap space to re-sign some of their big guys, but make no mistake, as Chara declines, as another one or two of their D signs elsewhere, Boston fades into yesterday.

Old
07-13-2013, 08:43 PM
Maelpj*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
I think Boston's window is much shorter, probably no more than two years. Chara will be 37 next year and has become a diminishing return. Plus, within the next three years almost their entire core becomes UFAs -- Seidenberg, Boychuk, McQuaid, Krejci, Lucic. No way can they keep the team intact.

Signing Rask and Bergeron to smaller salaries over longer terms was the only way to keep some Cap space open for the upcoming seasons. Chiarelli must know those contracts are ridiculous, but giving them more money for fewer years would've crippled their ability to sign anyone after this year. Bruins' window is about to close, gotta' lock the stars up any way you can. They'll use their meager Cap space to re-sign some of their big guys, but make no mistake, as Chara declines, as another one or two of their D signs elsewhere, Boston fades into yesterday.
Yeah that's pretty much the NHL of today. With the cap and the draft system, there is no way a team can stay competitive for really long. However, we gotta give credit to Boston scout , they do a really go job at packing Boston prospect pool even without high pick most of the time. And Chiarelli is a solid GM. The rebuilding or retooling of the Bruins probably ain't gonna take too much time. Just surprised they traded Seguin, he was their future offensive star. Guess they really go all in.

Old
07-13-2013, 09:50 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven View Post
Yeah that's pretty much the NHL of today. With the cap and the draft system, there is no way a team can stay competitive for really long. However, we gotta give credit to Boston scout , they do a really go job at packing Boston prospect pool even without high pick most of the time. And Chiarelli is a solid GM. The rebuilding or retooling of the Bruins probably ain't gonna take too much time. Just surprised they traded Seguin, he was their future offensive star. Guess they really go all in.
I give Boston credit for finding guys like Bergeron, Krejci and Lucic in the 2nd round, but does that demonstrate superior drafting skill or a lucky streak? Montreal has supposedly been building through the draft. We're not going 'all-in' on UFAs because we have confidence in our scouting. Our youth appear better than most teams' youth, which should make us a contender within a few years, provided our superior prospects develop into superior players. But what if other teams still end up finding those 2nd round stars? What if we keep missing those hiden gems? If after years of smart drafting our young guys still haven't made us into a contender, we may have to evaluate our development or drafting techniques.

We do have one concrete thing in our favour: We have Cap space to sign Subban and keep all our key UFAs.

Old
07-13-2013, 10:19 PM
Maelpj*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
I give Boston credit for finding guys like Bergeron, Krejci and Lucic in the 2nd round, but does that demonstrate superior drafting skill or a lucky streak?
'

A lucky streak? Same thing could be said for every team who draft gems in latter round.. Subban and Gallagher, lucky streak?Don't forget Brad marchand drafted into the third round, #71 overall in 2006 4 rank after our Ryan White, or Rask drafted #21 overall in 2005. As frustrating as it is, the Bruins are in good hand and have good scout, they are going to be relevant for a while.

Old
07-13-2013, 10:26 PM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
'

A lucky streak? Same thing could be said for every team who draft gems in latter round.. Subban and Gallagher, lucky streak?Don't forget Brad marchand drafted into the third round, #71 overall in 2006 4 rank after our Ryan White, or Rask drafted #21 overall in 2005. As frustrating as it is, the Bruins are in good hand and have good scout, they are going to be relevant for a while.

Traded for him a year later. Still a good move though.

Old
07-13-2013, 10:26 PM
Impossible Glory

Quote:
'

Rask wasn't drafted by the Leafs. Gotta gim credit to PC for stealing a potential star goalie for Andrew freaking Raycroft, though. Way worse than the Kessel trade imo (which is not as bad as it originally seemed to be).

Old
07-13-2013, 10:29 PM
Maelpj*

Always thought Bruins drafted Rask. Just lost even more respect for the Leafs management. Still, you gotta give credit to Bruins scout for going after Rask.

Old
07-13-2013, 10:29 PM
NateTheGr8

vCash: 291
When Chara goes, Dougie Hamilton will be a top 2 dman with Boston imo

Old
07-13-2013, 10:31 PM
Impossible Glory

Quote:
Always taught Bruins drafted Rask. Just lost even more respect for the Leafs management. Still, you gotta give credit to Bruins scout for going after Rask.
Yeah, I believe they took him (for the trade) over Justin Pogge. They have some pretty solid scouts.

Old
07-13-2013, 10:32 PM
Maelpj*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateTheGr8 View Post
When Chara goes, Dougie Hamilton will be a top 2 dman with Boston imo
Plus they have Joe Morrow and Krug as solid futur d-man going up. Still, replacing Chara ain't gonna be easy and I think it's more a group of d-man for them that are going to fill the hole he will leave than one guy in particular filling it.

Old
07-13-2013, 10:45 PM
NateTheGr8

vCash: 291
Quote:
Plus they have Joe Morrow and Krug as solid futur d-man going up. Still, replacing Chara ain't gonna be easy and I think it's more a group of d-man for them that are going to fill the hole he will leave than one guy in particular filling it.
What I'm saying is that right now Chara is their #1 D by far. Some teams won't have that #1 D that sticks out above the rest , some teams right nowI think of without a standout #1 D are NJ devils , NY islanders, Flyers, Carolina, Calgary, Dallas. Sure they have some pretty good D and future #1 d but right now they have none really. Boston won't have that problem because they have Hamilton ready to come play right after Chara retires

Old
07-14-2013, 06:06 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Boston isn't incredible at producing NHL PLAYERS, I mean there 2007, 2008, and 2009 will be really really bad. Yet, they do seem to find these quality players that do change the face of their franchise. They are really going with quality instead of quantity. There is no doubt for me that a guy like Ryan Spooner might become a poor man's Marc Savard, something they are lacking for quite some time, get their PP going. I believe they are really safe in nets for years to come. On D they have some really good depth. And up front with the trade they just made, while unspectacular, they also have some very good depth too.

So they are not incredible starts at drafting, but Lucic, Bergeron, Marchand, Krejci and even Rask who HAS to be a product of the draft 'cause still deciding to go with him, it's because their scouting group believed in him. Let's remember that Rask went 1 pick before Boston selected their guy in Lashoff...was Boston interested in Rask at the time? Or even he was never their #1 pick, would they still think he'd be good? I guess so as they decided to do that deal. That's surely something similar to us acquiring a guy like Eller for example. I mean McDonagh was too great to pass over....but Eller could have been somebody we loved that much and would have picked before Pac if he had still been available.

Edit: Replace stars by players.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 07-14-2013 at 07:26 AM.
Old
07-14-2013, 08:20 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossible Glory View Post
Yeah, I believe they took him (for the trade) over Justin Pogge. They have some pretty solid scouts.
I believe the deal was originally Pogge for Raycroft, but the Bruins were persistent and only wanted to do it if Rask was involved.

Old
07-14-2013, 08:56 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I believe the deal was originally Pogge for Raycroft, but the Bruins were persistent and only wanted to do it if Rask was involved.
Bruins were always high on Rask.

I remember when this deal went down telling Leaf fans that they'd just been royally ripped off. Similar to Gomez, they paid a premium for a player the other club wanted to get rid of. Never makes sense to do this.

Old
07-14-2013, 09:04 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I saw this on th bruins board a few days ago and the Leafs apparantly gave the bruins the choice to pick which prospect they wanted between rask or pogge

Old
07-14-2013, 09:13 AM
Bourdon101

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateTheGr8 View Post
What I'm saying is that right now Chara is their #1 D by far. Some teams won't have that #1 D that sticks out above the rest , some teams right nowI think of without a standout #1 D are NJ devils , NY islanders, Flyers, Carolina, Calgary, Dallas. Sure they have some pretty good D and future #1 d but right now they have none really. Boston won't have that problem because they have Hamilton ready to come play right after Chara retires
I doubt Hamilton will be what Chara is. He is more offensive. I think with the replacement of Chara, they will change as a team and they wont have that shut down beast to play 30 minutes, but the quality of the first defensemen could be similar, Hamilton is quite promising.

Old
07-14-2013, 09:19 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Bruins were always high on Rask.

I remember when this deal went down telling Leaf fans that they'd just been royally ripped off. Similar to Gomez, they paid a premium for a player the other club wanted to get rid of. Never makes sense to do this.
In both situations the other gm sensed the urgency. So, while Boston and New York didn't really need either player, they knew the other team did.

Old
07-14-2013, 12:37 PM
CaptainIginla
The king is back

vCash: 515
Leafs and sens fans are so annoying I dont even

you would think they both won the cup in 4 outscoring the canadiens 24-0

Old
07-15-2013, 09:29 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

In the category of good news for the Devils, was just reading how they are having right now at their development camp and you see names on D like: Merrill, Gélinas, Santini, Burlon, Helgeson and even Scarlett and it is a pretty good group of D's prospects they've got.

Old
07-15-2013, 02:48 PM
dreamingofdrouin*

"But no...15 ****ing seconds later, the ****ing hawks score....MOTHER****ER!!!!!!......OAAARGHHAGA!!!!!! ! OAAARGHROOAAAR!!!!!............................... .................................................. ................that is all."

Old
07-15-2013, 02:54 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingofdrouin View Post
"But no...15 ****ing seconds later, the ****ing hawks score....MOTHER****ER!!!!!!......OAAARGHHAGA!!!!!! ! OAAARGHROOAAAR!!!!!............................... .................................................. ................that is all."

Great growl though. The guy has a future....So Bruins fans can be emotional....

Old
07-15-2013, 02:57 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingofdrouin View Post

Well ****, at least **** now this ***** guy can **** concentrate on his journalism career.

Old
07-15-2013, 02:59 PM
dreamingofdrouin*

laughed my ass off at this as well

Old
07-15-2013, 03:03 PM
dreamingofdrouin*

Closed Thread