HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part LXV - All Talk From Around the League Here

Closed Thread

Old
07-17-2013, 09:32 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
The difference is we have highlights of winning the Cup in black and white and more than exactly 0 since 1967.

The Leafs need to move forward, and stop dwelling on what used to be. He's trying to change the culture.
Painting murals and putting up pictures of the past doesn't make you a bad hockey team today. Nobody on the Leafs is resting on their laurels because of their successes in the 50's.

It's just another excuse to throw the blame anywhere except where it belongs - with management. The Leafs have had some of the worst management since the mid-2000's and on - the last decade or so. But yeah...it's the pictures that are holding them back from greatness.

Old
07-17-2013, 09:33 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
So Beaulieu?
Niederreiter isn't anywhere close to Beaulieu's value. Try Leblanc.

Old
07-17-2013, 09:36 AM
BigDaddyLurch
Deleted Posts Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Niederreiter isn't anywhere close to Beaulieu's value. Try Leblanc.

Old
07-17-2013, 09:39 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Moen is a terrible fighter now. His track record is moot because he simply can't do it anymore. Best case scenario for Moen is pretty much a draw as he just holds on and waits for the refs. Clifford is still young as can improve in this area as well.

We probably have a differing opinion on Plekanec's value but we are in agreement that if he is going to be moved then MB should maximize his return.
Have you seen Clifford's fights since he got KOed??

Old
07-17-2013, 09:40 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
This is almost as bad as people claiming the Clifford to MTL rumour was actually Carcillo to LAK rumour mixed up.

So Beaulieu?
Beaulieu doesn't have as many question makes around him as Nino did. Also, Clutterbuck is the better of the two players. Clifford will probably go for a mid-level prospect.

Old
07-17-2013, 09:50 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Painting murals and putting up pictures of the past doesn't make you a bad hockey team today. Nobody on the Leafs is resting on their laurels because of their successes in the 50's.

It's just another excuse to throw the blame anywhere except where it belongs - with management. The Leafs have had some of the worst management since the mid-2000's and on - the last decade or so. But yeah...it's the pictures that are holding them back from greatness.
That's not what I'm suggesting at all, and I doubt that's what Leiweke's motives for doing this are. The Leafs aren't "resting on their laurels because of their successes in the 50's", but they're being haunted by that success and the lack of success since then.

One might think a constant reminder of better times when they won could be a driving & motivating force to return to that status, but I can understand the reasoning for this.

"Onward". The focus is squarely on the future and not on the stigma of the Leafs' long-past success weighing down on the organization, year-after-year.

My two cents.

Old
07-17-2013, 09:54 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Interesting to read that the Leafs new President, Tim Leiwecke wants to remove all the pictures relating to the Leafs past success.

He just wants to look to the future...

That guy knows what he's doing
A reminder to the players that the Leafs are a monolithic global enterprise, their product being money and their goal being brand growth. Hey Leiwecke made the news today that's positive right?

The guy has orchestrated a so-so trade with his former team and signed his future son-in-law. Wiping from the walls the last remnants of success, the Mahovlich, Salmings, Bowers, would be confirmation that he's a meddler and doesn't have a clue what he's doing.

Old
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
That's not what I'm suggesting at all, and I doubt that's what Leiweke's motives for doing this are. The Leafs aren't "resting on their laurels because of their successes in the 50's", but they're being haunted by that success and the lack of success since then.

One might think a constant reminder of better times when they won could be a driving & motivating force to return to that status, but I can understand the reasoning for this.

"Onward". The focus is squarely on the future and not on the stigma of the Leafs' long-past success weighing down on the organization, year-after-year.

My two cents.
I got you, I'm just of the opinion that if the team is good, the results on the ice will bear it out. Shifting the blame anywhere else is just...window dressing. The Blackhawks got over the pressure of having to bring integrity back to a once-great franchise (granted, they don't share the same pressures as Toronto does) because the team was good. I don't think honoring your past necessarily means you're dwelling in it.

Old
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
bingo!!

Old
07-17-2013, 09:56 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The main board rumor says the big red dog will not be coming to Montreal.

Maybe MB kicked the tires and was not interested at that particular price. Clifford has some offensive potential and is a mucker.

He's not a dominant fighter... so don't expect Atilla the Hun (he has losses to Chipchura, jackman, Konopka, Gleason, Clowe, Peckahm, and Eager) (he has wins against Carcillo, Staubitz, Polak, Weise, and Clune).

He is still pretty young and may get better. He has a lot of experience but is fighting less and less (5 times in 48 games last year vs. 23 as a rookie in 2010).

I think he would be a good addition... he brings more offence and can learn defense (admit I don't know how he is as a defensive player). Prust would be an excellent role model.

anyway... just my 0.02

Old
07-17-2013, 10:00 AM
le_sean

Quote:
They should be acquiring him because he's a hitting machine with some offensive upside, and is only 22 years old. The willingness to fight is only a bonus.

There's Parros, Prust and White for fighting. Clifford would be like a Clutterbuck, wear down opponents with hits.

Old
07-17-2013, 10:03 AM
Habsfannick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Le Tigre View Post
The main board rumor says the big red dog will not be coming to Montreal.

Maybe MB kicked the tires and was not interested at that particular price. Clifford has some offensive potential and is a mucker.

He's not a dominant fighter... so don't expect Atilla the Hun (he has losses to Chipchura, jackman, Konopka, Gleason, Clowe, Peckahm, and Eager) (he has wins against Carcillo, Staubitz, Polak, Weise, and Clune).

He is still pretty young and may get better. He has a lot of experience but is fighting less and less (5 times in 48 games last year vs. 23 as a rookie in 2010).

I think he would be a good addition... he brings more offence and can learn defense (admit I don't know how he is as a defensive player). Prust would be an excellent role model.

anyway... just my 0.02
We won't get him... When's the last time we ever got someone we wanted

Old
07-17-2013, 10:05 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

I don't believe that we have no chance to land Clifford... He's exactly the type of guys that we need. MB needs to do everything in his power to land him in MTL.

Old
07-17-2013, 10:08 AM
Habsfannick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
I don't believe that we have no chance to land Clifford... He's exactly the type of guys that we need. MB needs to do everything in his power to land him in MTL.
He probably did but the cost must have been one of his precious top 3 round draft picks+ so he said no thanks

Old
07-17-2013, 10:25 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
He is in the same mold as Prust, White and Moen, not exactly an element that's lacking.

Old
07-17-2013, 10:29 AM
le_sean

Quote:
He is in the same mold as Prust, White and Moen, not exactly an element that's lacking.
He's comparable to Prust. He's a better player than White, and Moen is not in the same mold anymore. I'd say Clifford is a little more talented than Prust, but not as good of a PKer.

To add a guy that was Top 10 in hits last year is never a bad thing.

Old
07-17-2013, 10:29 AM
Habsfannick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Except Moen seems to be finished, Prust isn't exactly a spring flower (won't be at the same level in 4-5 years) and white is crazy (I love him but he's crazy xD)

Old
07-17-2013, 10:30 AM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Praytell, what exactly is Moen's mold? Unless you mean the fungal growth that can sometimes cure gonerrehea, Moen has no use.

A big guy who doesn't play big, doesn't fight and plays scared is only good to raise the team average stats a few digits, that's it.

Old
07-17-2013, 10:40 AM
AH

Good things that are obvious never happen to our team.

Thats the mode our GM is in. Trying hard to defy his own words.

Old
07-17-2013, 10:44 AM
Gally11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post

I like and would want Clifford but this statement is slightly overrating him

Old
07-17-2013, 10:46 AM
Habsfannick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post

I'm starting to get the feeling bergy is ******** his pants as GM, he's terrified to make a bold move all of his moves have been safe bets

Old
07-17-2013, 10:57 AM
Madevilz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfannick View Post
I'm starting to get the feeling bergy is ******** his pants as GM, he's terrified to make a bold move all of his moves have been safe bets
roflmao, let's re-hire PG, dude was scared of no one.

Old
07-17-2013, 10:59 AM
AH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gally11 View Post
I like and would want Clifford but this statement is slightly overrating him
I said good things, not great things. Clifford would be a good addition, nothing great.

We need some good additions to our team still. I realize there is little cap room, but room can be made.

Old
07-17-2013, 11:00 AM
Habsfannick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madevilz View Post
roflmao, let's re-hire PG, dude was scared of no one.
Where did I say that? I just see him as being scared to pull off a big move. Not that we need to bring in an old top forward like PG made or sign an expensive free agent but he's always hesitant it seems no real changes apart from Prust, Briere, Parros and Frankie

Old
07-17-2013, 11:01 AM
AH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfannick View Post
Bergy is scared and hesitant. The guy will only make the perfect trade, otherwise forget it. He is scared to look bad. Not a risk taker.

So far, in his 15 months as GM, we have the Cole - Ryder - Briere merry go round along with the Prust signing under his name.

That's it. Oh yeah, and hiring lots of his friends.

Closed Thread