HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part LXV - All Talk From Around the League Here

Closed Thread

Old
07-17-2013, 12:37 PM
Andy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post

No. Especially not Gallagher. It came as a surprise to everyone here or almost.
Really? Not Gallagher? Gallagher almost made the team out of camp the year prior under Martin. Also, Therrien spoke highly of Gallagher prior to confirming his stay on the big club.

Old
07-17-2013, 12:38 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakaar10iemechx2012 View Post
Hell yeah this season...now is as good a time as any.

Only problem is they dont need a center. With Anisimov and Dubinsky. Was hoping Deharnais would be attractive to them.

Trade for him now and sign him. He is making 1 mill this year.
If you wait for FA, he is sitting in TO.
He probably meant that it's not in the cards for this season seeing as how we just acquired Parros. If Boll had been available at a price Bergevin found attractive, I have no doubt he'd have got him instead of Mustachio.

Old
07-17-2013, 12:39 PM
AH

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Didn't renaud lavoie, the most reputable insider when it comes to quebecois players, report that it wasn't money or term that made the difference, but external factors?

All signs point to vinny not wanting the pressure of Montreal. We've all accepted this. Trying to dig it all back up to slam bergevin isn't going to get us anywhere. There are plenty of other moves that we can be sure actually happened that you can bash.
What are the external factors? Taxes?

Old
07-17-2013, 12:39 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
Did you read my post?

Old
07-17-2013, 12:41 PM
The Nightman

Quote:
The external factors are that he didn't want to play in Montreal.

Old
07-17-2013, 12:41 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Really? Not Gallagher? Gallagher almost made the team out of camp the year prior under Martin. Also, Therrien spoke highly of Gallagher prior to confirming his stay on the big club.
He was still considered a longshot, especially when keeping his AHL stats in mind. It's not like he was ripping up the league. I think most figured he'd spend the year in Hamilton.

Old
07-17-2013, 12:43 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
He probably meant that it's not in the cards for this season seeing as how we just acquired Parros. If Boll had been available at a price Bergevin found attractive, I have no doubt he'd have got him instead of Mustachio.
I guess the only difference between the two is that Jared can play every game where as Parros won't ( cant ).

Old
07-17-2013, 12:44 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
He was still considered a longshot, especially when keeping his AHL stats in mind. It's not like he was ripping up the league. I think most figured he'd spend the year in Hamilton.
Yeah, I don't think the overwhelming sentiment on this board was confidence with regards to Gallagher making the team. Cautious optimism, more like.

And as for galchenyuk, not only was it not certain he'd stay up, there were many advocating sending him back down to Sarnia as it would have been better for his development.

Very easy to say that these calls were simple or obvious in hindsight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakaar10iemechx2012 View Post
I guess the only difference between the two is that Jared can play every game where as Parros won't ( cant ).
I completely agree with your comparison, but again, I just can't see Bergevin not acquiring Boll if he was available over someone like Parros. He's either not available or they're asking for an overpayment Bergy isn't willing to pay.

Old
07-17-2013, 12:45 PM
Andy

Quote:
He was the leading goal scorer on an offensively inept Bulldogs team in his first pro-season. He was the Dogs' best player. I thought Galchenyuk making it more of a shock.

Old
07-17-2013, 12:50 PM
PunkinDrublic*

I personally think that these fans who are dissing on MB, actually believe that the players that are in place will be there in October. Me, i am not convinced. MB has tima and again that his team was ( is ) too small. It's not by adding Parros that he has solved it. I still believe that Diaz will be gone and replaced by a big stay at home D. And up front, possibly Desharnais, maybe even Gio will be flipped for some top 6 size on the wing. People are just so impatient. Must be from the past 10 years of bad management.
But don't you worry MB is aware. And so is MT who has even spoken about.

Old
07-17-2013, 12:52 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Hey you want bold, look over the trading histories of some of the previous GM's, and look at how some managers can exploit when another GM is willing to take risk.

Furthermore, the salary cap and NTC's are the kryptonite of boldness in the NHL managing ranks.

On the Vinny/Morrow/Jagr files, I am pleased that Bergevin knows when to walk away from the discussion.

I suspect there are some minor moves left in MB for this off-season, once the GM's all clear off some vacation time and get back to work.

Old
07-17-2013, 01:08 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
He was the leading goal scorer on an offensively inept Bulldogs team in his first pro-season. He was the Dogs' best player. I thought Galchenyuk making it more of a shock.
Go see the threads back this winter. Everyone was expecting Gallagher to go back down, some going as far as saying "It's dangerous to play him in the NHL at this point, considering his style of play and his small frame". Gallagher was absolutely not expected to make this team. It came off as a surprise. Just like Galchenyuk.

Old
07-17-2013, 01:11 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Plus, Gallagher almost making the team out of camp the year before? Come on now. Everybody knew it would not happen. He was kept up longer because of his intensity and his willingness to improve. He still had no goal in 4-5 pre-season and had trouble to finish against the other teams' B and C squads.

Old
07-17-2013, 01:12 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
External factor means...he wants to play external of Montreal...

Though we thought that of Brière, what it seems now is that Brière REALLY thought Philly was a better team compared to Montreal. While Lecavalier do NOT want to play in this market based on pressure.

Old
07-17-2013, 01:23 PM
AH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
External factor means...he wants to play external of Montreal...

Though we thought that of Brière, what it seems now is that Brière REALLY thought Philly was a better team compared to Montreal. While Lecavalier do NOT want to play in this market based on pressure.
Years later we learn the Briere was keen on playing here but that his wife nixed it. OK. Not a problem, everyone can be a *********.

I am not convinced that Vinnie not being here is all on Vinny (or his wife).

Old
07-17-2013, 01:24 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Right, but like you said, considering how offensively inept they were, the fact that he was the leading goalscorer wasn't saying a whole lot. The decision definitely wasn't considered to be a no brainer at the time.

Old
07-17-2013, 01:40 PM
Andy

Quote:
Right, but like you said, considering how offensively inept they were, the fact that he was the leading goalscorer wasn't saying a whole lot. The decision definitely wasn't considered to be a no brainer at the time.
Maybe not a no-brainer, but it wasn't a shock, especially when you consider that there was a spot open in the lineup at the time because Gomez got sent home and then bought, someone was going to make it. Gallagher was the bulldog's best forward. Galchenyuk making it definitely was surprising.

Old
07-17-2013, 01:45 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Maybe not a no-brainer, but it wasn't a shock, especially when you consider that there was a spot open in the lineup at the time because Gomez got sent home and then bought, someone was going to make it. Gallagher was the bulldog's best forward. Galchenyuk making it definitely was surprising.
So Gallagher making it wasn't a shock for you? Good for you, it was for pretty much everyone around here and in the media though.

Old
07-17-2013, 01:50 PM
centrehice

AS a few people already said, Gallagher almost made the cut the previous year, and considering what he did with the bulldogs, I don't think most people were very surprised.

Old
07-17-2013, 01:51 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
So Gallagher making it wasn't a shock for you? Good for you, it was for pretty much everyone around here and in the media though.
People don't seem too shocked here to find out that they were staying with the big club

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1335159&page=5

Old
07-17-2013, 01:57 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Why isnt Kyle Clickford coming to Montreal?

Anybody??? Clickford is money in the bank E5....Clickford.lots of hits....creates traffic ....???

Old
07-17-2013, 01:59 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
People don't seem too shocked here to find out that they were staying with the big club

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1335159&page=5
You realize it is AFTER staying up after the training camp, right? Which in fact was THE surprise to begin with.

Old
07-17-2013, 01:59 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfannick View Post
I'm starting to get the feeling bergy is ******** his pants as GM, he's terrified to make a bold move all of his moves have been safe bets
I look at what Nonis has done this year in TO and most of Holmgren's moves...making a BOLD move doesn't mean it's a GOOD move.

Old
07-17-2013, 02:02 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

I don't get why people are whining over MB....

I was a little ticked with no tough guy...then he brought one in...so as he said ,it's going to be built thru draft,and players let to develop.....So stop freakin out....listen to the man.

Old
07-17-2013, 02:04 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
I look at what Nonis has done this year in TO and most of Holmgren's moves...making a BOLD move doesn't mean it's a GOOD move.
Leafs fans look really proud of their 5.25M, 32 points scorer though. To the point where they're popping up in every Habs thread on the main board to talk about how we should be scared of that fake-tough guy.

Hell... just look. I can tell one is reading my comment right now and itching to answer in the most ridiculous fashion.

Closed Thread