HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Will any team give Manny Malhotra one last shot?

Old
07-21-2013, 09:03 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 500
Will any team give Manny Malhotra one last shot?

He was badly crippled the last few years, and had favored his eye big time last year which made gillis have to sit him for the year.

he might be a fringe fourth liner now, but his leadership qualities are incredible, and could be a great fit for a young team, like the oilers.

What do you guys think?, any team gives him a shot?

Lucbourdon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 09:05 PM
exporta

I bet he gets a try out, if not just to make a kid work for his spot somewhere.

What he does with his chance is up to him, often these old vets don't make it. But once and a while it leads to a job - i.e. Morrison.

exporta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 09:05 PM
haterbehatin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
He was badly crippled the last few years, and had favored his eye big time last year which made gillis have to sit him for the year.

he might be a fringe fourth liner now, but his leadership qualities are incredible, and could be a great fit for a young team, like the oilers.

What do you guys think?, any team gives him a shot?
What's the purpose of any team using a contract slot and cap space on someone who you yourself are saying has no value on the ice and unlikely to play. If he has such great leadership or mentor abilities why wouldn't some team add them to their coaching staff?

haterbehatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 09:07 PM
Hockeygirl95*

If Knight or Monahan are not NHL ready I wouldn't mind giving him a cheap one year deal.

Hockeygirl95* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 09:10 PM
CharasInCharge
Unleash the Yeti

Really like him as a player. Hope he can still salvage his career.

CharasInCharge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 09:11 PM
FAMOUSfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by haterbehatin View Post
What's the purpose of any team using a contract slot and cap space on someone who you yourself are saying has no value on the ice and unlikely to play. If he has such great leadership or mentor abilities why wouldn't some team add them to their coaching staff?
Pretty sure he was offered a coaching position in Vancouver but he would rather play instead.

FAMOUSfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 09:16 PM
Dempsey

The Canucks were desperate for depth down the middle last year because of injuries, and yet they chose to sit him. That should tell you something. The team sincerely thought he would end up getting hurt due to his limited vision from the one eye. Malhotra has stated that he absolutely believes they were sincere in thinking of his safety first, but that he doesn't believe their assessment was correct.

Bottom line is that I can't see a team giving him a contract when his former team has stated that it's not physically safe for him to play in the NHL anymore. After that's been said, who risks being the team that puts him out there for him to get hurt?

Dempsey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 09:20 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

I think manny could work if you play him around 40 games, but an 82 game season and playoffs, His eye could not handle it, for sure.

Lucbourdon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 09:40 PM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 2061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
I think manny could work if you play him around 40 games, but an 82 game season and playoffs, His eye could not handle it, for sure.
WTH? Are you saying you are worried his eye will fatigue? I think the problem is somebody won't check his number and will knock him into next week. He has greatly decreased vision, no doubt meeting the criteria for "legal blindness" in one eye.

Malhotra was finished by the eye injury but a weak personality occupying a position of authority didn't say so. Now, the guy thinks he can play. Is it really doing him any favors? If he was simply told he was done, he'd be on a coaching staff or running a gym. Instead he is learning the hard way. It's very sad, but could have been averted.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 09:41 PM
jsylvestre
Rookie User

Send a message via MSN to jsylvestre Send a message via Skype™ to jsylvestre
Always loved this guy, and it'd be great to see him get a shot at salvaging his career. Obviously no one wants to take the chance on him, but if he feels he can play, it might be worth it for a cup contender to sign him to play 4th line minutes. He brings solid leadership, still has the drive to play, and has always been a superb player on faceoffs.

jsylvestre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 09:44 PM
Nuge93
Stuck in a "Rebuild"

vCash: 565
I think his career is over.. An injury like that is so hard to bounce back from. As an Oilers fan, we need a leader but unfortunately he isn't a viable option.

Nuge93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 10:20 PM
showtime8

I hope that he gets a chance somewhere in the league.

I think a team will give him a shot that has a contract full of bonuses. It will be worth a gamble on a small contract.

showtime8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 04:46 AM
HolyShot*
Sniper

I'd give my right eye.

HolyShot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 06:30 AM
Spectrefire

I think he's capable of playing a solid 4th line and PK role. I just don't think he should. The Canucks shut him down and kept him shut down for a good reason.

Spectrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 07:20 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Shame what happened. Was a big fan.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 07:25 AM
BCShark

i dont think his eye will hold up over 82 games

BCShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 08:01 AM
tony d
ATD 2015

I think a team in need of a 4th line centre will give him a shot. Hope he makes a team. Guy sounds really determined.

07-22-2013, 08:49 AM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

It's such a shame. I always think of how different things would be if Ranger management didn't rush him and John Muckler didn't hate him and kill his confidence. He wouldn't have been the next Messier like some idiots within the Ranger organization paraded him to be, but he would have been a far better player than what he was and maybe he never ends up in this situation. Unfortunate luck for one of the true good guys in this league.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 09:11 AM
muckbin15
parros16

vCash: 448
if charlie conway can do it with one eye than so can manny malholtra!

muckbin15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 09:15 AM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

I'd give Malholtra an invite to tryout in Anaheim. I've always been a fan of his honest defensive game, and he'd probably be our best faceoff man as well. With Getzlaf/Koivu/Holland/Bonino/Rakell up the middle, there's no reason to think Malholtra couldn't outplay one of the younger guys in camp.

heusy_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 09:43 AM
supert

I would like the Oilers to give him a shot . We are weak at Centre and he could end up being a great fit

supert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 10:15 AM
WTFMAN99

I think he could work out if we moved Mclement up to the 3rd line wing if he was willing to take 1 year 900k deal or something.

WTFMAN99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 10:17 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Lundqvist View Post
It's such a shame. I always think of how different things would be if Ranger management didn't rush him and John Muckler didn't hate him and kill his confidence. He wouldn't have been the next Messier like some idiots within the Ranger organization paraded him to be, but he would have been a far better player than what he was and maybe he never ends up in this situation. Unfortunate luck for one of the true good guys in this league.
Would think this sentiment is universal among fans of teams he has played for in the past. Great guy, great teammate, great particular skills that made him an ideal player on a roster.

That said, and sadly, I think the answer to the OP's question is "no."

Old
07-22-2013, 10:34 AM
Suddenly7

Quote:
Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post
I'd give Malholtra an invite to tryout in Anaheim. I've always been a fan of his honest defensive game, and he'd probably be our best faceoff man as well. With Getzlaf/Koivu/Holland/Bonino/Rakell up the middle, there's no reason to think Malholtra couldn't outplay one of the younger guys in camp.
Yup, I agree. I think Anaheim would at least offer him something. Anaheim has recently been giving a lot of players a shot to play again in the NHL. If he can be somewhat of the player he was before his injury he would still be very valueable.

Suddenly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 11:06 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
If his situation has improved at all I'd love to have him as a 4th line center

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote