HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canadiens sign Daniel Briere for 2YR/8M (w/NMC) - Part II: ******** welcomed

Old
07-04-2013, 11:28 PM
SouthernHab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB11 View Post
A lot of the hate also seems to be coming from the fact he signed with Philly a few years back instead of the Hab. Get over the past.

Briere plugs a hole left by the departure of Ryder. 2 years, excellent term.
No, the hate is that we were easily eliminated from the playoffs by the Senators and we did nothing to address that glaring issue with the signing of Briere.........who did not come close to goal production compared to Ryder.

The hole got bigger.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:33 PM
CN_paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
I think the reason that people dislike this trade is that it's so underwhelming. Here we sign a big name, but it isn't a very good player. Either way, he won't particularly benefit or harm the team. Whatever.
Taking up 4M of valuable cap space will definitely harm the team. If we don't make the playoffs, this old softie will be borderline useless.

CN_paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:34 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
Taking up 4M of valuable cap space will definitely harm the team. If we don't make the playoffs, this old softie will be borderline useless.
To be fair, if we don't make the playoffs, they all become useless

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:40 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post

Seriously how many players can you expect Prust to defend ? Half of the forwards?
You know that free agency starts TOMORROW right? Calm down kid, it ain't over yet.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:40 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
Can't wait to see who will have to protect Briere when he cheapshots someone like he often does.

I have always consider Briere as a coward who cannot defend himself like a man and rather crosschecks someone on the face and or spear a player on the groin like he did on OV and Eller then go hide behind his teammates.
For most people, we hate an opposing player for that style of play.

Don't know your age, but if you're old enough to remember Claude Lemieux, did you despise him too for his dirty and reckless play?

The demand for, and appreciation of, sportsmanship has diminished in inverse proportion to the increase of revenue for both owner and player in all sports.

Win at all costs is the mantra. The tolerance for ridiculous acts of unmittigated violence in pro sports is rampant and increasing exponentially.

Off the top of my head, the incident where Dennis Rodman kicked a cameraman in the cojones during a nationally televised game and was never censured or suspended appropriately exemplifies the redefining of behaviour in sports.

My point is that next time you feel that you must hate a player for a dirty play, try to remember your local hero might have initiated a slew-foot that the oppositions fans hated just as much.

groovejuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:47 PM
Miller Time

what people who emphasize the "excellent term" seem to miss...

- Briere is 35 years old
- He is coming off of a pretty serious concussion
- He is coming off of his worst season as a pro
- we gave him a full NMC

he took 2 years because no one in the their right mind would be offering him more.

just because a lot of players are signing massive $$/term deals doesn't mean that getting a guy on a short deal is a good move by default.

Briere will have to do a lot to justify this deal, and that says nothing of his actual roster fit (need/chemistry with existing players).

a "fingers crossed, hope for the best" type of move, very questionable to tie up that cap space the day before UFA, even if it meant "losing out" on the chance to take a risk on him.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:48 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
You know that free agency starts TOMORROW right? Calm down kid, it ain't over yet.
Who are we going after ? Asham for round #2? Hendricks? Guys who can play and defend teammates ( like Prust) don't grow on trees, so we either get a 5 minute goon or a "tough" guy like bourque who will get smoked by guys like Orr.

And I suspect that when we DON'T get any UFA to protect the little uns we will be forced to move assets to get some, because the Ufa's were too expensive.

I'd love to think we will get more Prust like players tomorrow but Im not holding my breath. If we don't we are screwed.

sandysan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:49 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Always been a big fan of Brière. I hope he has a good couple of seasons with us!

Gabe84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 11:54 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
No, the hate is that we were easily eliminated from the playoffs by the Senators and we did nothing to address that glaring issue with the signing of Briere.........who did not come close to goal production compared to Ryder.

The hole got bigger.
Missed the draft, did you?

Old
07-04-2013, 11:59 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
Missed the draft, did you?
So three more years of getting manhandled in the playoffs ( after the same in the last 3-4 years) is okay by you ? When these deficiencies could have been addressed? The addition of Prust was a step in the right direction, the addition of briere is a step back.

sandysan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:07 AM
Lionel Mandrake
Generic user

No matter how much of a traitor he is to some I think many are selling Briere short. To me he always struck me as a player with loads of character, you need to in order to get where he got at his size. And there's just something about a character player having had his pride hurt with a BO. I think proving Philly wrong is all the motivation he needs to have a terrific first season with us, at the very least. That's without talking about the boost playing on home ground will add to the mix.

It's true, he's probably not what the doctor ordered. But he cost no asset (money you don't spend is no asset), he's signed to reasonable terms and a rejuvenated Briere replacing ineffective Gionta on the PP is already an improvement.

One last thing. The Habs wouldn't have drafted McCarron if they thought size didn't matter on a winning team. Bergevin didn't forget this in 5 days.

Lionel Mandrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:09 AM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

in two years he'll be gone and guys like Collberg, Hudon etc will take his place. no big deal really

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:25 AM
groovejuice

Quote:
So three more years of getting manhandled in the playoffs ( after the same in the last 3-4 years) is okay by you ? When these deficiencies could have been addressed? The addition of Prust was a step in the right direction, the addition of briere is a step back.
You cannot in a reduced salary cap world overpay for several FAs. Teams cannot be built that way.

Briere fills a need in the present. Not the future. It's a good bet he will be highly motivated and will out-perform the rather low expectations of this board.

Old
07-05-2013, 12:27 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
bah, wonder what this does to that great briere/eller gif

Redux91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:30 AM
MasterD

Quote:
Not true. If Brière was taking Prust's spot it would be a step back. Fortunately, he is taking Ryder's spot... Ryder wouldn't hurt anyone even if his life depended on it. Brière might be smaller, but he plays bigger than Ryder, and bigger than 2013's version of Cole. At the very worse it's a sideways step + playoff proven performer.

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:31 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolitsky View Post
in two years he'll be gone and guys like Collberg, Hudon etc will take his place. no big deal really
In 2 years he will get an extension.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:36 AM
Saintpatrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchweed View Post
What is he? 5 ft 9 inches tall ... 35 years old ... missed 14 games in a 48 game season due to injuries ... has suffered from concussions the last two years ... and is being paid $4 million for two years. That's a risky gamble that ties up critical cap space, one good whack and he's out.

Just wondering but is Bergevin signing him as a guy to play 82 games plus playoffs or more to add a French Canadian player for the news media?
I say the latter more than the former.

Saintpatrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:36 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
How would those deficiencies be addressed?

NotProkofievian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:37 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
You cannot in a reduced salary cap world overpay for several FAs. Teams cannot be built that way.

Briere fills a need in the present. Not the future. It's a good bet he will be highly motivated and will out-perform the rather low expectations of this board.
Exactly. Best case scenario is what you listed. Worst case scenario, no one ****ing cares because he'll be gone before this team will be taken seriously by anyone else in the league anyways.

Old
07-05-2013, 01:02 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

The reasoning:
"No problem, it's just a two-year contract and then Briere will be gone."
Is like ripping a goulash fart in an elevator and saying:
"Don't worry, when we arrive at the 40th floor you can all get out."
Why do it in the first place??

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 01:02 AM
Habit11

I'm curious to see what guys of similar age and production will sign for in the coming days. I wouldn't have signed Briere at all. Over 35, declining production, defensive liability, NMC, more of what they already have, am not seeing the appeal. I think Iginla would have filled a need better, but who knows what he wants or if he would sign here. Jagr on a 1 year deal would have also been preferable imo. A Diaz for Hemsky deal might have been something to consider. Brad Boyes could have been a shrewd under the radar signing that would have offered similar production to Briere with maybe a lesser cap hit. I have no inside knowledge, so it's hard to know exactly what there options are, but I think this signing could have waited or came and went and if they missed out on him, I'd actually be ok with the current top 9 as is in the short term. Clarkson/Horton/Clowe all want too much money/term and I'm glad MB is staying away from long term contracts for 2nd/3rd line players. But this just seems so odd right now in light of the current make up of forwards, although it's hard to pass full judgement on the roster as October isn't around the corner. Maybe they needed to get a center so they can move DD for a top 4 dman real soon, that would make the signing better because they didn't create one hole to fill another, but we'll see I guess.

Habit11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 01:03 AM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
The reasoning:
Cuz it feels good.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 01:22 AM
dynastyREredux
Where's the Doritos?

Send a message via ICQ to dynastyREredux
Quote:
The reasoning:
I lol'd

dynastyREredux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 01:22 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
The reasoning:
We have goals that we need to replace in Ryder's absence? Neither he, nor Ryder are in the long term future plans for Montreal. The difference is Ryder will be searching for a longer team deal. Ryder was also absolutely horrendous in the playoffs. He really may as well not have been there. Maybe Briere can improve on that performance.

Who else would you have signed?

Old
07-05-2013, 01:29 AM
Rockomax

I suggest that we give the guy a chance. He's signed now, what can we do?

Like he said, we should all pull in the same direction

Rockomax is offline   Reply With Quote