HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canadiens sign Daniel Briere for 2YR/8M (w/NMC) - Part II: ******** welcomed

Old
07-05-2013, 01:32 AM
dunner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockomax View Post
I suggest that we give the guy a chance. He's signed now, what can we do?

Like he said, we should all pull in the same direction
Hope for LTIR??

dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 01:42 AM
Kirk Muller

Not overly fond of the signing however if it meant Desharnais or Gionta are now on the way outs, it would lessen the blow.

To me it does appear management doesnt feel some of their younger wingers in Hamilton arent ready for the NHL.

I would of rather tried 4.5 million at Clarkson or someone maybe like Filpula for that type of money.

He is with the habs now, so as fan will cheer and hope for the best

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 01:45 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
Not overly fond of the signing however if it meant Desharnais or Gionta are now on the way outs, it would lessen the blow.

To me it does appear management doesnt feel some of their younger wingers in Hamilton arent ready for the NHL.

I would of rather tried 4.5 million at Clarkson or someone maybe like Filpula for that type of money.

From what i read,talk of playin Breire on the wing taking Ryder's spot...not center

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 01:49 AM
Not a Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Mandrake View Post
No matter how much of a traitor he is to some I think many are selling Briere short. To me he always struck me as a player with loads of character, you need to in order to get where he got at his size. And there's just something about a character player having had his pride hurt with a BO. I think proving Philly wrong is all the motivation he needs to have a terrific first season with us, at the very least. That's without talking about the boost playing on home ground will add to the mix.

It's true, he's probably not what the doctor ordered. But he cost no asset (money you don't spend is no asset), he's signed to reasonable terms and a rejuvenated Briere replacing ineffective Gionta on the PP is already an improvement.

One last thing. The Habs wouldn't have drafted McCarron if they thought size didn't matter on a winning team. Bergevin didn't forget this in 5 days.
If all goes well McCarron will be ready for the show in 3 yrs. Now let me ask you a question. You're the GM of the Montreal Canadiens and your team (which is full of small character players) just got manhandled by an average NHL opponent, do you?
1. Go out and acquire another injury prone small character player.
2. Take measures to address the problem at hand.

Not a Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 01:54 AM
NotProkofievian

See, this is what drives me crazy about this conversation:

one option is always specified in graphic worst case detail: "aging, small, soft, forward in decline."

and the brilliant alternative is nebulous humdrum claptrap such as "take corrective action."

"I don't get it, why doesn't Bergevin just solve the problem?"

How?

"...*shrug*"

NotProkofievian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 02:02 AM
Saintpatrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
See, this is what drives me crazy about this conversation:

one option is always specified in graphic worst case detail: "aging, small, soft, forward in decline."

and the brilliant alternative is nebulous humdrum claptrap such as "take corrective action."

"I don't get it, why doesn't Bergevin just solve the problem?"

How?

"...*shrug*"
Draft for the future, sign UFA's for the short term looks like his plan.

Saintpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 02:05 AM
The Real Guy Lafleur

Too many of you have this obsession about wanting tall/big players. We didn't lose the last playoffs because we were too small, we lost because our team just did have enough talent.

A reminder of just a few great not so tall players:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...in-nhl-history

Briere will bring character to this team and the will to win in the playoffs. MB knows this.

The Real Guy Lafleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 02:06 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
We have goals that we need to replace in Ryder's absence? Neither he, nor Ryder are in the long term future plans for Montreal. The difference is Ryder will be searching for a longer team deal. Ryder was also absolutely horrendous in the playoffs. He really may as well not have been there. Maybe Briere can improve on that performance.

Who else would you have signed?
I'm not convinced. Briere was a -13, second-worst on the Flyers last year. His soft play and poor defense will likely cost us more goals than he contributes. He may produce on the man advantage, but that means siphoning PP time away from our kids, which IMHO does hurt us long-term. Who would I have signed? To fill our size needs the usual suspects Clarkson, Crowe, Penner but would also watch how the UFA dominoes fell, and who might be traded. Useful to have cap space. And if we struck out completely, I'd start the season with whomever had a hot training camp, hell I think I'd take Michael Blunder over Danny Briere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy28 View Post
Cuz it feels good.
In that case signing Briere is worse than farting in an elevator

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 02:06 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not a Fish View Post
If all goes well McCarron will be ready for the show in 3 yrs. Now let me ask you a question. You're the GM of the Montreal Canadiens and your team (which is full of small character players) just got manhandled by an average NHL opponent, do you?
1. Go out and acquire another injury prone small character player.
2. Take measures to address the problem at hand.
MB did adress it, he tried to go for size and toughness but couldnt find any, so he bought a punching bag

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 02:08 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunner View Post
Hope for LTIR??
Briere's one concussion away from it. And now, if he starts with his cheap shots he won't have tough teammates to bail him out.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 02:17 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post

The thing with Clarkson is you know he will likely not live up to whatever salary is thrown his way due to the high demand he's probably going to receive, and the term will be long.
Briere has one year to prove himself, after that he can have a poor year, it won't matter as he'll have one season remaining on his deal. Not the end of the world.

But I agree, this was what was very apparent to me, Bergevin rather the young prospects to keep developing in the AHL as opposed to fighting for a spot right off camp. I have no issues with that, I see it the same way, which is why I wanted PK signed cheap to a long term deal ASAP. Because by the time the young kids like Collberg will be ready to make the jump, it would have been nice to have guys like PK making 4.5-5.5M as opposed to 6-7-8M. What we saved off the cap from PK's bridge deal was insignificant considering we won't be contenders over that period. But over 5-6-7-8 years, it would have been different. Any cash saved over that extended period of time would have been a plus for us.

Briere's deal doesn't change much, it's a filler. The team won't be lead by this guy, nor do I think the management feels that it will either. I'm pretty sure they're looking at guys like MaxPac, Galchenyuk, Eller, DD, Emelin, PK, Gallagher, and Price to lead this team with the veterans like Plekanec, Briere, Gionta, Gorges, to compliment them. Not the other way around. If Briere is used as a top 9 then it really isn't that bad. I actually think he could fit well next to Eller. A line of Eller-Briere-Prust/Galchenyuk could be a very solid depth line, and depth is key.

In any event, the uproar this signing has caused is quite ridiculous. It's a 2 year deal worth 8M. Nothing to cry over, we still have 5M to play around with and that's without moving anybody.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 02:52 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
he looks depresed.

TheFatOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 02:58 AM
Sumoki Dachiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
The thing with Clarkson is you know he will likely not live up to whatever salary is thrown his way due to the high demand he's probably going to receive, and the term will be long.
Briere has one year to prove himself, after that he can have a poor year, it won't matter as he'll have one season remaining on his deal. Not the end of the world.

But I agree, this was what was very apparent to me, Bergevin rather the young prospects to keep developing in the AHL as opposed to fighting for a spot right off camp. I have no issues with that, I see it the same way, which is why I wanted PK signed cheap to a long term deal ASAP. Because by the time the young kids like Collberg will be ready to make the jump, it would have been nice to have guys like PK making 4.5-5.5M as opposed to 6-7-8M. What we saved off the cap from PK's bridge deal was insignificant considering we won't be contenders over that period. But over 5-6-7-8 years, it would have been different. Any cash saved over that extended period of time would have been a plus for us.

Briere's deal doesn't change much, it's a filler. The team won't be lead by this guy, nor do I think the management feels that it will either. I'm pretty sure they're looking at guys like MaxPac, Galchenyuk, Eller, DD, Emelin, PK, Gallagher, and Price to lead this team with the veterans like Plekanec, Briere, Gionta, Gorges, to compliment them. Not the other way around. If Briere is used as a top 9 then it really isn't that bad. I actually think he could fit well next to Eller. A line of Eller-Briere-Prust/Galchenyuk could be a very solid depth line, and depth is key.

In any event, the uproar this signing has caused is quite ridiculous. It's a 2 year deal worth 8M. Nothing to cry over, we still have 5M to play around with and that's without moving anybody.
Pretty much this. I agree on everything save the PK stuff and only then because I am not sure if he has his Norris year without the motivation stemmed from the negotiations and emotions generated during his holdout.
Briere will make an excellent complimentary winger and I also see him lining up next to Eller or maybe galchenyuk on a depth scoring line over the next two years.
Whatever Bergy does with DD is a different matter and Gionta is as good as gone in 60 or so games from now. This signing replaces offence lost from Ryder/Cole over the last few years and is more or less a stop gap with the bonus of being a local boy who is clutch in the playoffs.
I don't understand why people are losing their cool over this. Actually I have been reading these boards for 6 years, I totally understand.

Sumoki Dachiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:09 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
I'm not convinced. Briere was a -13, second-worst on the Flyers last year. His soft play and poor defense will likely cost us more goals than he contributes. He may produce on the man advantage, but that means siphoning PP time away from our kids, which IMHO does hurt us long-term. Who would I have signed? To fill our size needs the usual suspects Clarkson, Crowe, Penner but would also watch how the UFA dominoes fell, and who might be traded. Useful to have cap space. And if we struck out completely, I'd start the season with whomever had a hot training camp, hell I think I'd take Michael Blunder over Danny Briere.
If you look at it as a Ryder replacement I don't see it as being that bad. Briere is no selke candidate but Ryder was extremely one dimensional as well. I think the PP time is a fair argument, but with MT, it seems like if there's 6 veteran forwards on your team, your young'uns aren't getting ****.

How much do you think Clarkson's going to get on the market tomorrow (or slightly thereafter)?

NotProkofievian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:30 AM
Danadiens

vCash: 1450
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post

In that case signing Briere is worse than farting in an elevator
Did you just say Penner?

Danadiens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:05 AM
SnapVirus

Mannnnn.

Clarkson wants 6M$ and he is a 3rd liner.

Clowe does not have Mtl on his list -confirmed by tsn.

I hope people will now stop with those two.

SnapVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:07 AM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapVirus View Post
Mannnnn.

Clarkson wants 6M$ and he is a 3rd liner.

Clowe does not have Mtl on his list -confirmed by tsn.

I hope people will now stop with those two.
for the last couple of months.

Draft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:50 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Woke up and Desharnais is still here.

Furious.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:36 AM
ottawa
go habs go

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Guy Lafleur View Post
Too many of you have this obsession about wanting tall/big players. We didn't lose the last playoffs because we were too small, we lost because our team just did have enough talent.

A reminder of just a few great not so tall players:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...in-nhl-history

Briere will bring character to this team and the will to win in the playoffs. MB knows this.

Clearly Briere was too tall to make that list, or else he would be #1

07-05-2013, 05:43 AM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Woke up and Desharnais is still here.

Furious.
I laughed lol

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:45 AM
Ginu

Wow I feel like leaving these boards. This reaction has been unprecedented.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:48 AM
Tuggy

The offseason has barely even started. If this roster is the one that we start opening night with then yes, get all pissy. But until then have some damn patience.

I'm quite confident that this will not be the only move this team makes.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:26 AM
PricePkPatch

We could sign Claude Giroux and fans here would cry that we signed another smurf

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:37 AM
Madevilz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
We could sign Claude Giroux and fans here would cry that we signed another smurf
rofl at comparing a potential 90pts player to a 50-60 one.

Madevilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:39 AM
HabsGER

I'm ok with the signing of Briere, tho Vinny would've been a better fit for us. But since Briere's signed for 2y/4m per, he should be a nice gapstop until Galchenyuk's ready to take over the top6 center spot.

If Bergevin would've signed him to a 3-4y contract, I might've been pissed too, but it's ok how it is. Tho I'd like to see DD get traded and sign a scoring winger who's not as soft as Ryder.

HabsGER is offline   Reply With Quote