HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canadiens sign Daniel Briere for 2YR/8M (w/NMC) - Part II: ******** welcomed

Old
07-04-2013, 09:47 PM
gusfring

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
reading through this thread, and the MB bashing, i now understand why many ppl hate habs fans.

The most irrational, fickle, whiny, turn coat fans i've ever seen.

ppl were ready to lynch bourque when he got here, now he is a great player.
desharnais was a diamond in the rough 1 season ago, plays 30 poor games, and ppl want him gone for a 7th rounder.
Price is god, Price is horrible (depends the night)
Bergevin is awesome. Makes a signing you dont like, fire him.
Therrien exceeds our expectations, we lost in the first round, fire him.

Really sad to see how little habs fans watch hockey outside of their own team. Reading these boards and listening to call in shows. Its pathetic.

MB hasnt even had a full season and because of a 2 year contract for a local guys, its like the franchise has become a joke. Rome wasnt built in a day and he wasnt given all the assets to be able to turn it around on a dime. Be patient.

Cant wait for you children to proclaim MB as a genius when Briere becomes a great addition and the team plays well.
How many owners in the league would gladly take the fans here?

All of them.

gusfring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 09:48 PM
Habiton

Quote:
reading through this thread, and the MB bashing, i now understand why many ppl hate habs fans.

desharnais was a diamond in the rough 1 season ago, plays 30 poor games, and ppl want him gone for a 7th rounder.

Really sad to see how little habs fans watch hockey outside of their own team. Reading these boards and listening to call in shows. Its pathetic.

MB hasnt even had a full season and because of a 2 year contract for a local guys, its like the franchise has become a joke. Rome wasnt built in a day and he wasnt given all the assets to be able to turn it around on a dime. Be patient.

Cant wait for you children to proclaim MB as a genius when Briere becomes a great addition and the team plays well.
The last paragraph hit the nail on the head. More people come here to complain in a group versus fight for our teams decisions so we get a "census" of hate. From everyone I talk to (that are fans of other teams) think very highly of Bergevin.

He's a great GM and we have a team that was second in the conference last year despite us being smurfs. Let's put on the brakes and give Bergevin some time to share his vision.

Habiton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
How many owners in the league would gladly take the fans here?

All of them.
Not because of how we behave though, just because of our numbers.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
coolasprICE

terrible signing.

Briere also has the negative karma working for him now.

I've lived long enough to know that Briere will get his payback for ditching out on this team years ago to only be a hypocrite now and pretend it's his dream now.

Karma is a ***** Briere, hope you enjoy the view from the press box.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 09:49 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy28 View Post
Not because of how we behave though, just because of our numbers.
They don't care.

gusfring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 09:49 PM
Brainiac

Quote:
Apparently two other teams were willing to give more to Briere. We didn't outbid anyone on Lecavalier.
That's ballcrap. Briere went for the money. No way he signs here if NSH offers the same.

My guess is that MB was the only one offering 2 years and he was easily offering .5-1M more than the others. Only reason we got Briere.

Anybody here seriously think we didn't overpay big time??

Brainiac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 09:50 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
terrible signing.

Briere also has the negative karma working for him now.
So as bad karma for not signing with us he will start to play badly when he does sign with us.

Old
07-04-2013, 09:51 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le CH View Post
This deal doesn't stopgap anything... we have ZERO need for what a 36 year old, declining Briere brings to this team.
He replaces Ryder, tell me who in this team would've replaced Ryder? You wanted Clowe or Clarkson for a potentially crippling contract? We needed a right winger for the short term and we got that until Thomas or Collberg steps in. What's so hard to understand?

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 09:52 PM
Dannyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUHeffToBMad View Post
He replaces Ryder, tell me who in this team would've replaced Ryder? You wanted Clowe or Clarkson for a potentially crippling contract? We needed a right winger for the short term and we got that until Thomas or Collberg steps in. What's so hard to understand?
Exactly. We've basically replaced Ryder with Briere. I can't see how that is anything but an improvement. A hole was plugged (as Bergevin would put it). I'd like to see a veteran defenceman added (was supposed to have been Kaberle) and another tough guy. I have full confidence in Bergevin.

Dannyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TheStroker

vCash: 986
great signing, for a great playoff player

TheStroker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Habiton

Quote:
They don't care.
Approving childish behavior by saying someone else would be lucky to have me as just a number is a very poor justification. I'm fairly certain that Columbus would rather have normal fans over bipolar ones who get mad at the smallest things (not qualifying a player who will clearly never play for us).

Get over yourself and either start accepting that Bergevin is getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to do his job while we are just people who like the team or go become a fan of the leafs.

Old
07-04-2013, 09:53 PM
Shawn Wilken
Hockey's Future Staff
@CrimsonSkorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
That's ballcrap. Briere went for the money. No way he signs here if NSH offers the same.

My guess is that MB was the only one offering 2 years and he was easily offering .5-1M more than the others. Only reason we got Briere.

Had he signed for 5 years at $4.5 million per, sure.
2 years at $4 million per, I can live with. Not long, he gets a good chunk of change.

And for the life of me, I don't understand what the big deal of a NMC is on a contract that is just two years. A 35 year old wanting to stick in the same city for the two years he signed for? Woah! Come on...

Shawn Wilken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 09:54 PM
Hugo Sham

even if you're upset and confused, chill the **** out it's early July. The move needs to be looked at in a broader context - which hasn't happened yet. IF desharnais, gionta, briere, gallagher, plekanecs and every other undersized forward is still here come the season opener, than yes we may have a problem lol

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habiton

Quote:

A 25 goal scorer who is the 6th leading scorer in the playoffs getting 4M over two years in this UFA year is a damn steal. We underpaid, he was worth 5M-6M. If Clarkson wants 6, Briere deserves 7.

Old
andy28

Quote:
They don't care.
Well, that's just a no-brainer though. Of course they would want us as fans. They would want anybody as fans. The poster was basically saying that we are a bi-polar fanbase.

Old
sandysan

Quote:

Yeah we can ***** about this now and there might be something else in the works. But this team has GLARING deficiencies and these don't get addressed but we get something we absolutely don't need. I like briere and he could be a great addition to a lot of teams, but what he brings to the table WE DON'T need. He's old, he's small and he now has a ntc.

If you asked anyone over the last 5 years, what is the habs biggest weakness it would be we are too small and too soft. Signing a marshmallow midget like briere moves us backwards, not forwards. We got manhandled last year in the playoffs and lots of teams in our division are getting bigger.

If the notion is that we should sign players that don't address our needs in hopes that they might magically turn it around, then let's go whole hog and sign dipietro and grabovski as well.

sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 09:55 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
So as bad karma for not signing with us he will start to play badly when he does sign with us.
or injury.

I'm not wishing that, but negative karma doesn't produce positive results.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 09:55 PM
WG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millpool View Post
Couldn't have said it better. Low-risk, high-reward move that makes sense for where the organization is at. We're not playing for the Cup next season, but we're on our way up. You want character guys like Briere influencing your developing players.
I asked this before but it got buried in the stream of posts on the 1st thread. What exactly is the character DB brings? I have never considered him, through his time in Buffalo or Philly, as a 'character' guy. Is there some evidence in this 'character' business, or is it just old guy = character? Honest question, the stuff I've seen in terms of his on ice play (stick work, the 'look at me' fist pump) leans more to mildly in 'rat' territory rather than 'character guy.' Am I wrong? Do we have some body of evidence showing that DB brings some intangible locker room presence or what have you?

WG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 09:56 PM
andy28

Quote:
I might be wrong, but I am sure someone here posted some snippet from an article saying something like it's not that he didnt have equal or better offers on the table.

Old
07-04-2013, 09:56 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Half of the comments are about Brière signing with the Flyers instead of us. Grow up people...

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 09:57 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseollini View Post
half of the comments are about brière signing with the flyers instead of us. Grow up people...
but he's under 6 foot!!!! Can't you see doom is upon us?!?!?!?!?!?

WAKE UP SHEEPLE!!!

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 09:58 PM
Habiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by WG View Post
I asked this before but it got buried in the stream of posts on the 1st thread. What exactly is the character DB brings? I have never considered him, through his time in Buffalo or Philly, as a 'character' guy. Is there some evidence in this 'character' business, or is it just old guy = character? Honest question, the stuff I've seen in terms of his on ice play (stick work, the 'look at me' fist pump) leans more to mildly in 'rat' territory rather than 'character guy.' Am I wrong? Do we have some body of evidence showing that DB brings some intangible locker room presence or what have you?
If you want sources I just watched the ESPN video on him (link in Lebruns blog) whee they clearly mentioned that he is beloved.

LeBrun also tweeted that Bergevin called Holmgren who had nothing but great things to say about Briere (which is something you don't say if it's not true)

Old
07-04-2013, 09:59 PM
ChoseLa

I'm really an advocate of toughness and size, but i also like this signing. At some point you have to think hockey and stop obsessing with your personal identity crisis.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

First I hate Briere but that's not even the problem I have with this, don't even mind the term and money because I think he will put up good numbers, but the SERIOUS issue with the team is lack of size, we know have 5 forwards undersized, 4 of which are in the 5"8 range, this to add on to another undersized Dcore compared to other teams.

Ppl bring up the Hawks as an example of size doesn't matter, it's not true, the hawks don't play a physical game but have big bodies, during the playoffs there only players undrr 6' were Shaw and Kane at 5"11.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
or injury.

I'm not wishing that, but negative karma doesn't produce positive results.
So, Briere did something bad by not signing here in 2008? There is a universal justice system that is concerned about whether a player signs in Montreal or not? OK, let's say that's the case. Karma evens out this wrong doing by taking it out on us, the ones who were originally wronged?