HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canadiens sign Daniel Briere for 2YR/8M (w/NMC) - Part II: ******** welcomed

Old
07-04-2013, 09:59 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
even if you're upset and confused, chill the **** out it's early July. The move needs to be looked at in a broader context - which hasn't happened yet. IF desharnais, gionta, briere, gallagher, plekanecs and every other undersized forward is still here come the season opener, than yes we may have a problem lol
The issue is more that nothing suggests the latter won't be the case...would be nice if Bergevin was a bit more open about his offseason plans.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 09:59 PM
Habs05

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
but he's under 6 foot!!!! Can't you see doom is upon us?!?!?!?!?!?

I trust MB and I like this move.

Habs05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:01 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
Yeah we can ***** about this now and there might be something else in the works. But this team has GLARING deficiencies and these don't get addressed but we get something we absolutely don't need. I like briere and he could be a great addition to a lot of teams, but what he brings to the table WE DON'T need. He's old, he's small and he now has a ntc.

If you asked anyone over the last 5 years, what is the habs biggest weakness it would be we are too small and too soft. Signing a marshmallow midget like briere moves us backwards, not forwards. We got manhandled last year in the playoffs and lots of teams in our division are getting bigger.

If the notion is that we should sign players that don't address our needs in hopes that they might magically turn it around, then let's go whole hog and sign dipietro and grabovski as well.
Do you think Bergevin does not watch games? Did he not play in the nhl for 15 years? He knows what the Habs are missing. You may not like his approach right now but they aren't on the ice for 3 months. I don't know if you saw the ufa list but you rather sign who? Slow ass concussed Clowe? Or overhyped 3rd liner Clarkson for 5 years 6 mil?

Wait till October to judge. Proclaiming your team stinks on July 4 is ridiculous

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:01 PM
WG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habiton View Post
A 25 goal scorer who is the 6th leading scorer in the playoffs getting 4M over two years in this UFA year is a damn steal. We underpaid, he was worth 5M-6M. If Clarkson wants 6, Briere deserves 7.
The problem many of us have is that we aren't paying $4M for the 25-goal guy. That 25-goal guy (Ryder) is actually the one replaced by a guy who is 36, concussed, and scored six goals last year but got paid like a guy who'd score 25 in a full season.

WG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:03 PM
thewall

Briere is in my own town right now for the Claude Giroux Golf tournament (Hearst Ontario). What are the odds both of them sign big contracts on the same day... I might see him this weekend.. hope he brings his offensive game to the Habs!

thewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy28 View Post
So, Briere did something bad by not signing here? OK, let's say that's the case. Karma evens out this wrong doing by taking it out on us?
not on us, but on Briere, and MB, who was hired since he is a pretty boy and a PR tool

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
First I hate Briere but that's not even the problem I have with this, don't even mind the term and money because I think he will put up good numbers, but the SERIOUS issue with the team is lack of size.
I am one of the size guys. I am even one of the enforcer guys. But let's wait a bit. It's one signing.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:04 PM
Craig71

Bergevin's taste in players is worse than his fashion sense.He drafts hodor but signs another hobbit.I just don't get it.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by WG View Post
The problem many of us have is that we aren't paying $4M for the 25-goal guy. That 25-goal guy (Ryder) is actually the one replaced by a guy who is 36, concussed, and scored six goals last year but got paid like a guy who'd score 25 in a full season.
We replace disapeared-in-the-playoffs Ryder by King-of-the-playoffs Danny though.

ChoseLa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Habiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by WG View Post
And you view Ryder as that player? Come on, he is the opposite of what we need. Briere shows up when it counts, and there is more than enough evidence to suggest that Briere will bounce back (or why did over 15 teams call him? Or why did Nashville and New Jersey reportedly offer similar or greater contracts?)

We finally won a great player on a solid contract. Be happy, for once.

Habiton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
not on us, but on Briere, and MB, who was selected since he is pretty boy and a PR tool
Ah, so karma does not decide to inflict itself on Briere until he signs with us, the people he supposedly wronged in the first place. Sounds kinda screwed up to punish the victim along with the perp. If that's the case, we must have done something worse than Briere.

Maybe karma doesn't care that Briere signed with Philly. Maybe the view that some fans have that French Canadians have some obligation to play for Montreal is not shared by the cosmos.

Old
07-04-2013, 10:07 PM
Brainiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
I don't know if you saw the ufa list but you rather sign who? Slow ass concussed Clowe? Or overhyped 3rd liner Clarkson for 5 years 6 mil?
It's called 'compulsion to move'.

In chess, many games are lost because you cannot say 'pass' and are forced to play a losing move. A GM can say 'pass' and wait for a better move.

Brainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
Do you think Bergevin does not watch games? Did he not play in the nhl for 15 years? He knows what the Habs are missing. You may not like his approach right now but they aren't on the ice for 3 months. I don't know if you saw the ufa list but you rather sign who? Slow ass concussed Clowe? Or overhyped 3rd liner Clarkson for 5 years 6 mil?

Wait till October to judge. Proclaiming your team stinks on July 4 is ridiculous
I say standing pat rather than getting smaller, older and one dimensional is the better deal. If what we need is not available, then thems the breaks. Choosing a player who is the antethesis of what the team NEEDS simply delays the progression. Briere has a ntc, we can't flip him for what we need, gionta has a ntc and dd just signed an extension. Who is left ?

What you are advocating is that the guy who rearranges the chairs on a sinking ship should be commended because they are straight.

The answer to being too small too soft is not more soft small players with ntc's.

sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
Yeah we can ***** about this now and there might be something else in the works. But this team has GLARING deficiencies and these don't get addressed but we get something we absolutely don't need. I like briere and he could be a great addition to a lot of teams, but what he brings to the table WE DON'T need. He's old, he's small and he now has a ntc.

If you asked anyone over the last 5 years, what is the habs biggest weakness it would be we are too small and too soft. Signing a marshmallow midget like briere moves us backwards, not forwards. We got manhandled last year in the playoffs and lots of teams in our division are getting bigger.

If the notion is that we should sign players that don't address our needs in hopes that they might magically turn it around, then let's go whole hog and sign dipietro and grabovski as well.
I cannot possibly understand how you could be aware of the draft this year and claim the team is not addressing its deficiencies.

Changes take time and come from drafting, FA signings and trades. I like where the Habs are heading and prefer patience to hysterics.

groovejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ChoseLa

You guys are saying Danny Brière for 2 seasons at 4M$ is not a good signing? It's great, sure the team didn't get bigger, but sure didn't get smaller, between Dannyboy and Micheal Ryder there won't be a diffenrence on the ice, sorry to burst the bubble of everyone.

ChoseLa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:08 PM
JohnnyB11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseOllini View Post
Half of the comments are about Brière signing with the Flyers instead of us. Grow up people...
A lot of the hate also seems to be coming from the fact he signed with Philly a few years back instead of the Hab. Get over the past.

Briere plugs a hole left by the departure of Ryder. 2 years, excellent term.

JohnnyB11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:08 PM
blarneylad

vCash: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewall View Post
Briere is in my own town right now for the Claude Giroux Golf tournament (Hearst Ontario). What are the odds both of them sign big contracts on the same day... I might see him this weekend.. hope he brings his offensive game to the Habs!
Awesome! I am from Timmins!

blarneylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:10 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Ah, so karma does not decide to inflict itself on Briere until he signs with us, the people he supposedly wronged in the first place. Sounds kinda screwed up. If that's the case, we must have done something worse than Briere.
We cheated our way to cups, mix politics with hockey, hire people based on popularity and mother tongue,over skill.

As for the fans, we are victims of bad karma.

everywhere bad karma.

Old
07-04-2013, 10:12 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Maybe the view that some fans have that French Canadians have some obligation to play for Montreal is not shared by the cosmos.
it has nothing to do with that. He chose another team after we offered longer and more money.

And to go back crawling to that team years later when you're declining?

****ing nerve if you ask me!

Old
07-04-2013, 10:13 PM
Price My Man Crush

Karma only exists when we choose to apply it to any situation.

Price My Man Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
I cannot possibly understand how you could be aware of the draft this year and claim the team is not addressing its deficiencies.

Changes take time and come from drafting, FA signings and trades. I like where the Habs are heading and prefer patience to hysterics.
I know it takes time but the biggest problem the habs have, how does briere address this ? People say just wait, just wait we ARE going to get bigger. If the bigger players are too expensive or are unavailable, fine. But getting smaller and older does not do anything productive and will delay the day we don't look like a team of midgets.

We got manhandled by the freaking Ottawa senators fcs.

sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SpreeEndaz

I don't get why everyone is so mad. We didn't lose any asset by acquiring him and his 2 years contract will not block us in any ways from re-signing players like Subban long-term. In fact, it will let us move some resources for other assets that will help us more. It's not like if we traded McDonagh to get him. I prefer to have an extra card up our sleeve, even if it's a weak one. Again, 2 years is just the perfect lengthm worse case it's going to be a failed experience with no setback.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
it has nothing to do with that. He chose another team after we offered longer and more money.

And to go back crawling to that team years later when you're declining?

****ing nerve if you ask me!
Why would that create bad karma? He went and played for another team even though we offered more money. That's not evil. That's just a personal choice. And now he was given an offer by us and accepted it. How is that a bad act?

He didn't come crawling back. He had other teams vying for him. Bergevin was interested in Briere. Briere didn't come crawling back.

Old
07-04-2013, 10:14 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
It's called 'compulsion to move'.

In chess, many games are lost because you cannot say 'pass' and are forced to play a losing move. A GM can say 'pass' and wait for a better move.
I dont see how Briere's signing is comparable to what u say. If anything, it prevents Bergevin of pulling a stupid longterm signing in the next few hours.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:14 PM
belko

Well, I didn't want him here and still think it's a dumb move, but he's a Hab now so I'll be perfectly happy to be proven wrong.

belko is offline   Reply With Quote