HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Picking an NHL team between the Capitals and Flyers

Closed Thread

Old
07-05-2013, 09:34 PM
kentuckyrebel

vCash: 500
Picking an NHL team between the Capitals and Flyers

I began watching hockey in this years playoffs with a friend who is a blackhawks fan since then I've recently started learning to play hockey in an adult learn to play league. I've had a blast over the past month learning to play and I am looking for a team. I've narrowed my list down to the Flyers and Capitals and I'm asking both teams fans to make a case for their team. I will be traveling for 3 or 4 days to the city of whatever team I pick next season as well. I've traveled to DC 4 different times, but never to Philadelphia, so please tell me what's some of the fun stuff to do in Philly (at this point I don't know what will cause me to make my final decision I'm just hoping for some help).

Old
07-05-2013, 10:05 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I think the most fun thing to do in Philadelphia is to leave.

Old
07-05-2013, 11:03 PM
Jedgi

If you go to Philly make sure to get a cheesesteak at Cosmi's, much better than the extremely popular touristy places.

If you like misery and self-loathing, be a Caps fan. If you like being a jerk and cheering injuries, be a Flyers fan.

Old
07-05-2013, 11:22 PM
usiel

vCash: 1430
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckyrebel View Post
I began watching hockey in this years playoffs with a friend who is a blackhawks fan since then I've recently started learning to play hockey in an adult learn to play league. I've had a blast over the past month learning to play and I am looking for a team. I've narrowed my list down to the Flyers and Capitals and I'm asking both teams fans to make a case for their team. I will be traveling for 3 or 4 days to the city of whatever team I pick next season as well. I've traveled to DC 4 different times, but never to Philadelphia, so please tell me what's some of the fun stuff to do in Philly (at this point I don't know what will cause me to make my final decision I'm just hoping for some help).
Similar to myself became a huge hockey fan in 89 but ended up learning to play hockey when a went to see a few ex-band mates play an HNA game in 93 and decided to go for it.

If you are talking about cities and stuff to do etc. washington has philly beat. That said I do like philly as a city.

07-05-2013, 11:46 PM
FloridaCap
Beaglechuk Mania

vCash: 2833
Regarding why you should pick the Caps:

- Made the playoffs several seasons in a row.
- Core is still very young. Alzner 24, Backstrom 25, Brouwer 27, Carlson 23, Green 27, Fehr 27, Holtby 23, Neuvirth 24, Johansson 22, Ovechkin 27, etc.
- Arguably the best non-NA prospect coming after his KHL season is up. (Evgeny Kuznetsov)
- Potential to have an elite goalie in the near future in Holtby, and Neuvirth could be very good as well.

Old
07-05-2013, 11:55 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Also, I'm pretty sure you have to be jumped in to become a Philly fan, so keep that in mind.

Old
07-06-2013, 12:16 AM
HunterSThompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckyrebel View Post
This is like going to the pound and picking between dogs doomed to death.

The one dog is an old, sad, grey-bearded, three-legged mutt that you know no one wants and has probably already given up on itself.

The other is an over aggressive Rottweiler that you know will bite you or someone you love and cause a big stink in the neighborhood, let alone your own household.

I would choose the nice three year old golden retriever sitting quietly in the end cage.

Old
07-06-2013, 12:24 AM
OviTaughtMe

I live in Philly (originally from the DC area) and I'm a Caps fan.

Philly is dirtier version of DC. Philly's best area (Old City) can't compare to Georgetown.

Wells Fargo Center is a dump. Verizon is cleaner.

The Flyers wheel and deal like Bufoons. The caps sit back on their hands like bufoons.

But we have Ovechkin so pick us

Old
07-06-2013, 12:50 AM
calicapsfan
NFA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
Also, I'm pretty sure you have to be jumped in to become a Philly fan, so keep that in mind.

Old
07-06-2013, 05:40 AM
Bethesda

I would never, ever advise anyone to voluntarily become a Caps fan.

Old
07-06-2013, 07:14 AM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

Lexington = Caps
Louisville = Philly

That said, both universities in KY enjoy a winning basketball tradition. Maybe the tie breaker should be Ashley Judd = Thouroughblades?

Old
07-06-2013, 07:42 AM
Red Dread

Go ask Ted. It's all he cares about.

Old
07-06-2013, 08:15 AM
sycamore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaCap View Post
Regarding why you should pick the Caps:

- Made the playoffs several seasons in a row.
- Core is still very young. Alzner 24, Backstrom 25, Brouwer 27, Carlson 23, Green 27, Fehr 27, Holtby 23, Neuvirth 24, Johansson 22, Ovechkin 27, etc.
- Arguably the best non-NA prospect coming after his KHL season is up. (Evgeny Kuznetsov)
- Potential to have an elite goalie in the near future in Holtby, and Neuvirth could be very good as well.
And to think Filip Forsberg could have been added to that mix. Makes me sick just to think about it.

Old
07-06-2013, 08:23 AM
txpd

misery and self loathing is philadephia. it may describe a caps fan but it also describes the basic philly attitude. not good enough.

Forsberg. lets see if that player even turns out to be a good player. lets see if he turns out to be better than Wilson. maybe the caps are nuts but they clearly like Wilson better and there isn't room for both of them.

Old
07-06-2013, 09:30 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

The "weagle" is easier to put a bag head on than the little "p" thing which doesn't even HAVE a head to put a bag on, so Caps.

Old
07-06-2013, 10:21 AM
OviTaughtMe

But seriously, city wise...dc is better dude. There's NOTHING else to do in Philly than eat and their biggest food attraction (the cheesesteak) can be had at any restaurant in America.

They offer no good shopping areas without a trip to center city, which is overrun by screaming homeless and sketchy high schoolers.

If you come to Philly, stick to University City, which is where I live. But then again, if you don't go to Drexel or Penn, then there isn't anything to do.

history wise, the Flyers have us beat. Can't say much. But we have the most exciting player in the league and one of the best live sports experiences in sports.

I've been to alot of stadiums/arenas in my day and the atmosphere at Verizon Center for a Caps game is like a rock concert.

Yeah, RGIII and The Skins will always be number one in our hearts but when Ovi is hot, it doesn't get much better.

Except the playoffs. lol

Last edited by OviTaughtMe: 07-06-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old
07-06-2013, 10:29 AM
Koized

Honestly pick another team between these two organizations that are both run by clowns on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Old
07-06-2013, 10:31 AM
OviTaughtMe

Also, Philly fans will do this bit about DC being a bandwagon town when in reality, the dichotomy is the same here in Philly as it is in DC. Football is first and whoever is hot is second.

Since the Flyers have been sucking, I've seen ZERO flyers shirts/jerseys/hats. The Flyers are NEVER the top team in the area and hell, they may be the 3rd team in Philly. A lot of "fans" I've talked have confessed to not knowing **** about hockey/flyers until their 2010 run. Their fans are passionate (I work at Wells Fargo and the Flyer sell well), I'll give them that but don't fall for the spiel they give you. They are like EVERY other major city fanbase including DC.

They don't give an eighth of a crap about the Sixers unless they luck into beating a good team like the Bulls. The swear they love the Phillies but the only reason why most of them go to Phillies games is to get drunk at Infinity Live (which is a outdoor bar thing at the sports complex). They couldn't care less about the Phillies and could not name anyone on the team not named Utley, Howard, Rollins, or Halladay. So basically, they talk big **** but they are the same as any other fan base.

Finally, would you want to join a fanbase that is known as bunch of fake ass hooligans?

Philly fans think that because their shirt has Philly on it, they are part of the team and thus must be drunken, belligerent fools.

They'll say "Oh, that's only a few idiots". No, I've been to Phillies games, Iggles games, and Flyers games. They are all disgusting and make life hell whether it's a home or away game. They start fights (A grown 40 year old Iggle fan tried to fight me at FedEx field when I was 11) and have no issue dropping N-Bombs. My cousin is a philly fan (we're both black) and he goes to more Iggle/flyers games than me and he's told me that the N-word/a lot of other foul racial phrases are commonplace. Basically, their fans are trash. They are that bad.

DC fans can be stupid too but is a Philly fan really what you want to be?

Last edited by OviTaughtMe: 07-06-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old
07-06-2013, 11:01 AM
Zorak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore View Post
And to think Filip Forsberg could have been added to that mix. Makes me sick just to think about it.
Don't forget Eakin.

to OP - any team in NHL is better than the Caps from "enjoying being a fan" point of view. You should pick Flyers.

Old
07-06-2013, 11:31 AM
kentuckyrebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterSThompson View Post
This is like going to the pound and picking between dogs doomed to death.

The one dog is an old, sad, grey-bearded, three-legged mutt that you know no one wants and has probably already given up on itself.

The other is an over aggressive Rottweiler that you know will bite you or someone you love and cause a big stink in the neighborhood, let alone your own household.

I would choose the nice three year old golden retriever sitting quietly in the end cage.
So who is the golden retriever?

Old
07-06-2013, 11:33 AM
kentuckyrebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleycaps98 View Post
Lexington = Caps
Louisville = Philly

That said, both universities in KY enjoy a winning basketball tradition. Maybe the tie breaker should be Ashley Judd = Thouroughblades?
I wish we still had the thouroughblades, of course if I had paid any attention to hockey 20 years ago or anyone else around here had for that matter they may still be in Lexington.

Old
07-06-2013, 11:57 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

NoVA ex-pat in Philadelphia. Would never go back to the DC area. Philadelphia is leaps and bounds better than the soulless yuppie transplant town that DC is. On the other hand, my priorities in a city aren't in line with most people's (DIY metal/punk being my top priority).

As for some touristy things to do in Philadelphia, check out the Franklin Institute, visit the Art Museum (Rocky steps), see Independence Hall, and of course gouge yourself on cheesesteaks, pulled pork, scrapple, and pretzels.

The tourist trap cheesetsteak places are Pat's & Geno's on Passyunk St, and they're worth a trip once just to say you've been there (or at 3 in the morning, since they're both open 24 hours a day). But there are many better places to get a cheesesteak in the city. My personal favorite in John's Roast Pork (which, shockingly, also has terrific pulled pork) on Snyder Ave in South Philly. It's only open Mon-Sat until 2PM each day, though. Other good places include Sonny's (2nd/Market) and Jim's (4th/South).

As for Flyers fans being bandwagoners, that couldn't be further from the truth. There's obviously a bandwagon portion of any fan base, but hockey is way more popular in Philadelphia than it is in DC (or most other cities I've been to). I know way more Flyers fans up here than I know Caps fans in DC, and most of the Flyers fans have been fans for a longer time. The Phillies are a bandwagon that's being reduced annually as people stop caring about their 2008 championship. Nobody gives a **** about the Sixers, even when they win. The Eagles are clearly #1, but the Flyers have one of the more loyal fanbases in the NHL. And the abusive nature of their fans is overblown in terms of Flyers fans, who are really pretty tame. Eagles fans (and the Phillies fans while they were popular) get drunk and rowdy, but the rest of Philadelphia sports fans aren't too bad.

As for which team to follow, it depends on how you want your team managed. Paul Holmgren (presumably under pressure from Ed Snider) is perhaps the most "entertaining" and ridiculous GM in hockey, with bold moves just about every off-season and constant restructuring of the Flyers roster. George McPhee (presumably under pressure from Ted Leonsis) is the polar opposite, sticking to a conservative approach built from internal options and holding onto home grown talent.
Both teams have key pieces in place, but for as much negativity as the Caps fans' here spout, the Flyers definitely have more holes in their roster right now. The Flyers have two Cups (to the Caps' zero) in their history, but they were literally won in the first two years of the Caps' existence. Neither team (or city) exactly has a winning tradition.

Old
07-06-2013, 12:15 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

To help us actually compete with the Flyers thread:

Old
07-06-2013, 12:23 PM
Liberati0n*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
NoVA ex-pat in Philadelphia. Would never go back to the DC area. Philadelphia is leaps and bounds better than the soulless yuppie transplant town that DC is. On the other hand, my priorities in a city aren't in line with most people's (DIY metal/punk being my top priority).
Out of curiosity, what do you define as "DIY punk" in Philadelphia?

Old
07-06-2013, 12:29 PM
calicapsfan
NFA

Don't pick your team this way. Go to a game at each arena. Make one trip, they're close to each other you know. Watch the games, experience the atmosphere and fan bases and pick the one you find yourself rooting hardest for.

Both organizations suck so it's gotta come from within.

Closed Thread