HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Burmistrov to KHL - [UPDATE JULY 8, 2013] Signs 2 year contract with AK Bars

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-07-2013, 10:12 AM
  #51
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
 
YWGinYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,006
vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
As a Capitals fan I'm thinking the same, therefore how about a straight up deal involving our RFA Marcus Johansson for your RFA Burmistrov.
That's an intriguing offer. I'd consider it if it looks as though Burmi needs a change of scenery, as the value is very similar.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 10:13 AM
  #52
Skidooboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 502
vCash: 500
I would take a second rounder, just to get him off the books

Skidooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 10:14 AM
  #53
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D
 
untouchable21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Outer Limits.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,860
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
As a Capitals fan I'm thinking the same, therefore how about a straight up deal involving our RFA Marcus Johansson for your RFA Burmistrov.
This would be very interesting to me personally. Seems like it would be fair for both sides. I'd probably do it.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 10:17 AM
  #54
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,236
vCash: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
As a Capitals fan I'm thinking the same, therefore how about a straight up deal involving our RFA Marcus Johansson for your RFA Burmistrov.
I would probably do this deal. How effective is Johansson as a C? He's of much more use to us there than as a LW.

Props for a very fair and well thought-out offer, could definitely see this working out for both teams.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 10:23 AM
  #55
Whileee
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,746
vCash: 500
I don't consider myself to be a "fan-boy" of any Jets player, but I do try to be objective.

My beef with Noel and the Jets last year centered around the differential way in which Burmi was treated compared to other players, most notably Jokinen.

Any cursory viewing of the games, and any reading of the stats, would clearly illustrate that Burmi was a more effective player that Jokinen. In response, Jokinen continued to play the lion's share of the minutes with Kane, and got tons of PP time, often on the point (uggh!!). I would like someone to explain to me how Jokinen played "the right way" and Burmi didn't. For reference, their production (per minute) wasn't all that different, Burmi was better at a number of advanced stats, and Jokinen was -19 (Burmi was even).

More importantly, as a fan, I much preferred watching Burmi on the ice than Jokinen, and trusted him more to perform. My conclusion is that Noel had a "beef" with Burmi, or perhaps just favoured Jokinen because he was a veteran.

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 10:24 AM
  #56
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!
 
BiPolar Caps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
I would probably do this deal. How effective is Johansson as a C? He's of much more use to us there than as a LW.

Props for a very fair and well thought-out offer, could definitely see this working out for both teams.
Acquiring Ribiero last year kind of left Johansson in limbo. His game is not really suited for the third line so it was trying to find a fit for him, thus he was moved around from various lines and mates as well as between LW and C. He's not a physical player but he's fast and has some great stick skills, sometimes he passes too much rather than takes a shot.

I'm looking ahead to next season when Kuznetsov finally arrives and think that a pairing of him and Burmitsov on the second line might have chemistry similar to Ovechkin and Backstrom on the first line.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 10:31 AM
  #57
KenAF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
I would probably do this deal. How effective is Johansson as a C? He's of much more use to us there than as a LW.

Props for a very fair and well thought-out offer, could definitely see this working out for both teams.
The Caps acquired Ribeiro to play 2C last season. Johansson wasn't very effective as a 2C the prior year, but he was also around 15-20lbs lighter at the time. The current thinking is that the Caps haven't signed a 2C center because they want to give Johansson another shot at the job, now that he has more experience and a NHL-type build.

Johansson played well at LW this past season. He is a smooth skater with good speed and decent playmaking skills, though he needs to improve defensively. As a Caps fan, I would prefer to keep Johansson and trade Brooks Laich. Laich (20g and 30-35a per year) is a 3rd line center or second line LW with an established skill set. He gives 110 percent every night, is very good defensively, and is good at scoring garbage goals around the net; he's not a great playmaker, nor does he have a particularly good shot, however. Laich is better than Johansson now, but obviously has less upside at 30yo. He is signed at $4.5 M through 2016-2017, and he would probably get $5.5 M or more if he were a free agent this year.

I would prefer the Caps put that Laich money to use in a position of greater need, I.e. 2LD.


Last edited by KenAF: 07-07-2013 at 10:59 AM.
KenAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 10:32 AM
  #58
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!
 
King Woodballs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Your Mind
Posts: 32,068
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
I don't consider myself to be a "fan-boy" of any Jets player, but I do try to be objective.

My beef with Noel and the Jets last year centered around the differential way in which Burmi was treated compared to other players, most notably Jokinen.

Any cursory viewing of the games, and any reading of the stats, would clearly illustrate that Burmi was a more effective player that Jokinen. In response, Jokinen continued to play the lion's share of the minutes with Kane, and got tons of PP time, often on the point (uggh!!). I would like someone to explain to me how Jokinen played "the right way" and Burmi didn't. For reference, their production (per minute) wasn't all that different, Burmi was better at a number of advanced stats, and Jokinen was -19 (Burmi was even).

More importantly, as a fan, I much preferred watching Burmi on the ice than Jokinen, and trusted him more to perform. My conclusion is that Noel had a "beef" with Burmi, or perhaps just favoured Jokinen because he was a veteran.
Veterans get the benefit of the doubt. They usually do. In all sports.
However, Ido think Jokinens leash was a bit long.
I would not have opposed to having him sit in the press box a couple times. But when a guy makes 4.5 million, that is a very hard thing too do.
Jokinen may not have played very well last season. At least he wasn't a pain in the coaches ass and listened to Noel

__________________
Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 10:35 AM
  #59
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,236
vCash: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Acquiring Ribiero last year kind of left Johansson in limbo. His game is not really suited for the third line so it was trying to find a fit for him, thus he was moved around from various lines and mates as well as between LW and C. He's not a physical player but he's fast and has some great stick skills, sometimes he passes too much rather than takes a shot.

I'm looking ahead to next season when Kuznetsov finally arrives and think that a pairing of him and Burmitsov on the second line might have chemistry similar to Ovechkin and Backstrom on the first line.
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like the ideal slot for him would be 2nd line C between Kane and Setoguchi.

Again, a deal that would really make a tonne of sense. So it probably won't happen.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 10:37 AM
  #60
Skidooboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
I don't consider myself to be a "fan-boy" of any Jets player, but I do try to be objective.

My beef with Noel and the Jets last year centered around the differential way in which Burmi was treated compared to other players, most notably Jokinen.

Any cursory viewing of the games, and any reading of the stats, would clearly illustrate that Burmi was a more effective player that Jokinen. In response, Jokinen continued to play the lion's share of the minutes with Kane, and got tons of PP time, often on the point (uggh!!). I would like someone to explain to me how Jokinen played "the right way" and Burmi didn't. For reference, their production (per minute) wasn't all that different, Burmi was better at a number of advanced stats, and Jokinen was -19 (Burmi was even).

More importantly, as a fan, I much preferred watching Burmi on the ice than Jokinen, and trusted him more to perform. My conclusion is that Noel had a "beef" with Burmi, or perhaps just favoured Jokinen because he was a veteran.
Jokinen also had a letter on his sweater. Clearly Noel considered him to be Somone who had value and leadership in the room. So that's a huge reason right there. A good attitude was rewarded in hopes that joker could regain form( no he never did but I hope he can)

It brings even more questions about Burmi and his attitude.

Also, along the lines of MSM "making things up" remember a lot of the time "sources" or "rumors say" can mean that the reporter has been directly told something by a player or staff "off the record" or on a guarantee of anonymity. A quote from Noel saying "I like the guy" is a good official sound clip but it might mean less when a couple of guys in the room say "off the record, Noel hates his guts and we all hate him too"

Skidooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 10:48 AM
  #61
scelaton
Registered User
 
scelaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Acquiring Ribiero last year kind of left Johansson in limbo. His game is not really suited for the third line so it was trying to find a fit for him, thus he was moved around from various lines and mates as well as between LW and C. He's not a physical player but he's fast and has some great stick skills, sometimes he passes too much rather than takes a shot.

I'm looking ahead to next season when Kuznetsov finally arrives and think that a pairing of him and Burmitsov on the second line might have chemistry similar to Ovechkin and Backstrom on the first line.
This is a fair analysis and should sound familiar to Jets fans. Burmi is a year younger than Johansson, has some of the same skills and deficits, but, overall, Burmi is better defensively and has more upside IMO. I have no idea why some are so impatient with his development when, as I have said multiple times, he is arguably the third best F of his draft year at this point.
I recognize that he may have to be traded if there are irreconcilable differences between him and Noel, but I shudder at the low return he may garner. We got Seto, another 8th overall pick with way more offensive production than Burmi, for a second rounder. I would rather have Burmi sit out a season than trade him for that.

scelaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 10:55 AM
  #62
FlyingW
Registered User
 
FlyingW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 62
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
This would be very interesting to me personally. Seems like it would be fair for both sides. I'd probably do it.


I would do this deal as well. Burmi needs a new start, and a young developing player on the 3rd line is a perfect replacement

FlyingW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 10:56 AM
  #63
mzappa
Jets fans in space
 
mzappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,792
vCash: 50
Recently I re-watched the Jets-NJD game from season #1 (yes I do that sometimes on PVR -- I know you do too) - Burmi's 6th goal in year one was sweet. Lets see some more of that from him this season, if he stays....

mzappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 11:13 AM
  #64
kcin94
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 41
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOnASilverMountain View Post
Once again
Don't want too be here? Get the **** out then
We will get someone to take your ice time then
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but where has it ever been said by Burmistrov that he didn't want to be here. The only thing I can recall is Lawless writing an article about it, which is barely credible at the best of times.

Since then it's been nothing but random speculation. His agent said he didn't want to go to the KHL and nobody has said anything since in dispute.

kcin94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 11:14 AM
  #65
kcin94
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 41
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidooboy View Post
I would take a second rounder, just to get him off the books
He's not signed for next year. How is he on the books?

kcin94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 04:47 PM
  #66
Skidooboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcin94 View Post
He's not signed for next year. How is he on the books?
He is an RFA no?
He is still an asset we have some claim to. Even if he bolts to the K we own his rights for a few years right?

Or we could trade those rights or sign and trade or waive, or whatever. I still consider that "on our books"

Skidooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 04:58 PM
  #67
Skidooboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 502
vCash: 500
Plus we made a qualifying offer

Skidooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:50 PM
  #68
Jet
Moderator
Chevel-takesadayoff
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Glasgow
Country: Scotland
Posts: 16,944
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
I don't consider myself to be a "fan-boy" of any Jets player, but I do try to be objective.

My beef with Noel and the Jets last year centered around the differential way in which Burmi was treated compared to other players, most notably Jokinen.

Any cursory viewing of the games, and any reading of the stats, would clearly illustrate that Burmi was a more effective player that Jokinen. In response, Jokinen continued to play the lion's share of the minutes with Kane, and got tons of PP time, often on the point (uggh!!). I would like someone to explain to me how Jokinen played "the right way" and Burmi didn't. For reference, their production (per minute) wasn't all that different, Burmi was better at a number of advanced stats, and Jokinen was -19 (Burmi was even).

More importantly, as a fan, I much preferred watching Burmi on the ice than Jokinen, and trusted him more to perform. My conclusion is that Noel had a "beef" with Burmi, or perhaps just favoured Jokinen because he was a veteran.
I appreciate this POV, and here is my theory (nothing more) about why this went down. I think the acquisition of Jokinen last year was Chevy's way of trying to give Noel the help that he needed to get this team into the playoffs. The team kind of hitched their wagon to Olli and looking at his historical performance, kept trying to get him out there to get his game turned around. We really really needed 40 points from Joki last year... if we would have gotten that we should have made the playoffs.

I don't think it was a matter so much of shunning Burmistrov as it was going with the more proven commodity. Whether or not that was the right move however.

I'd be willing to bet Jokinen won't be given near as much rope this season.

__________________
The Olympic Line
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:57 PM
  #69
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 10,134
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogosian View Post
I appreciate this POV, and here is my theory (nothing more) about why this went down. I think the acquisition of Jokinen last year was Chevy's way of trying to give Noel the help that he needed to get this team into the playoffs. The team kind of hitched their wagon to Olli and looking at his historical performance, kept trying to get him out there to get his game turned around. We really really needed 40 points from Joki last year... if we would have gotten that we should have made the playoffs.

I don't think it was a matter so much of shunning Burmistrov as it was going with the more proven commodity. Whether or not that was the right move however.

I'd be willing to bet Jokinen won't be given near as much rope this season.
There's one wrench in that theory...

Miettinen.

Even Olli Jokinen did severely worse in every factor when Miettinen was with him than without.
Goals against
Shots against
Possession
etc. etc. etc.

Yet Miettinen was given the most mins with Kane-Jokinen and that's with being injured.


IMO:
I've gotten this weird belief that I haven't been able to disprove that Noel gets stuck on players in particular roles and spots and has difficulty adjusting to it.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 08:25 PM
  #70
Bob E
Registered User
 
Bob E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnerpeg
Posts: 3,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
There's one wrench in that theory...

Miettinen.

Even Olli Jokinen did severely worse in every factor when Miettinen was with him than without.
Goals against
Shots against
Possession
etc. etc. etc.

Yet Miettinen was given the most mins with Kane-Jokinen and that's with being injured.


IMO:
I've gotten this weird belief that I haven't been able to disprove that Noel gets stuck on players in particular roles and spots and has difficulty adjusting to it.
I have it to.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 09:28 PM
  #71
kcin94
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 41
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidooboy View Post
Plus we made a qualifying offer
which he won't sign. Therefore we aren't paying him yet for next year which would be my definition of on the books.

If he is not going to the KHL, then he'll either
a) play here, indicating all this 'he wants to leave' stuff is just crap
b) not play here, in which case he won't be paid from us and therefore not take up cap space

If he does go to the KHL, he also won't be paid/ take up cap space from us and trading him for anything we can get seems silly considering he could light it up in Russia and improve his value down the line (I highly doubt he stays in Russia for more than 6 years)

kcin94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:08 AM
  #72
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar
 
Grind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 4,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Igor Eronko ‏@IgorEronko 2m
#Jets F Alexander Burmistrov signed 2-year contract with #AkBars of #KHL
Well i don't know how credible this guy is, but if so, thats a real pain in the ass. I wouldn't have been bothered tooo much if it was a 1 year contract. Pretty dissapointing.







bring on the crow.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:11 AM
  #73
Gm0ney
Registered User
 
Gm0ney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,567
vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
Well i don't know how credible this guy is, but if so, thats a real pain in the ass. I wouldn't have been bothered tooo much if it was a 1 year contract. Pretty dissapointing.







bring on the crow.
This is disappointing, if true.

2 years...hey, that's when Noel's contract expires!

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:12 AM
  #74
larmex99
HFBoards Sponsor
 
larmex99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Mexico
Country: Mexico
Posts: 359
vCash: 1312
IF it is true don't discount the possibility that there is an out cluse in the event he agrees to an NHL contract.

larmex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:13 AM
  #75
SensibleGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,549
vCash: 50
yeah, sounds like he's gone to the K. No big surprise, and no huge loss afaic...

SensibleGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.