Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Burmistrov to KHL - [UPDATE JULY 8, 2013] Signs 2 year contract with AK Bars

Old
07-08-2013, 12:13 PM
Jet
GO JETS GO!

vCash: 50
Wonder if this crow would be easier to get down with some Sririacha sauce?

Gotta admit, I was totally wrong on this.

I still don't buy the whole "don't draft Russians" idea, but I didn't think Burmistrov would do this, especially since he played in the AHL during the lockout when he could have very easily played in the KHL.

Hopefully he gets his confidence back and returns at some point. Sucks to lose a top 'prospect' for nothing.

07-08-2013, 12:13 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inflict View Post
You are misquoting me. Please don't put words in my mouth. I said PROBABLY wont reach his offensive potential in the NHL. He has the potential to make an impact, but nothing in his game has shown me that he will ever reach that level. Too many flaws in his game such as holding on to the puck too much, poor shot selection, and refusal to cycle the puck in the offensive zone are just a few flaws I've noticed. If he can change his habits, which he has shown that he would rather bolt to the KHL than do so, then maybe one day he will be an impact offensive player.

One problem I have with your argument is that you are assuming that Noel was the straw the broke the camels back. In other words if Chevy had hired another coach, you think that Burmi would still be around? That's a pretty bold claim, but I would like to hear from Burmi or his agent on the matter.
in the offseason this year? Yes, i pretty much do. Your right, that's an unfounded and bold claim but it's what i think. I also think had Noel even dealt with burmi slightly differently last season Burmi would have stayed.

It is definitly burmi's fault/decision to sign in the K, and my original posts were waaay too reactionary it's true, but I do feel Noel's usage/etc really setup burmi to make the decision he did.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:19 PM
Turbofan
Just shoot it Toby!!

Frolik will help ease the PK situation.

That being said, I'm not upset.

Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:22 PM
Whileee

From Chevy's comments, the Jets are taking the long view on this one. He does seem to view Burmi as a longer term asset of the franchise, which makes sense, I suppose.

Quote:
"Through our conversations and correspondence with Alex and his agent, it became apparent Alex had a desire to continue his development as a young player in the KHL. He remains a very talented player within the Jets organization and we will continue to monitor his progress and development going forward."

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:24 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
in the offseason this year? Yes, i pretty much do. Your right, that's an unfounded and bold claim but it's what i think. I also think had Noel even dealt with burmi slightly differently last season Burmi would have stayed.

It is definitly burmi's fault/decision to sign in the K, and my original posts were waaay too reactionary it's true, but I do feel Noel's usage/etc really setup burmi to make the decision he did.
My question is how do you effectively deal with someone who by numerous accounts wasn't very receptive. He didn't seem to want to buy into what the coach was selling and I have heard rumblings that he turned down offers from the org for help with regards to things like English tutoring. What would you do?

While I agree that Noel shouldn't have benched him for as long as he did, Burmistrov was still trusted by Noel enough to receive over 15 minutes a game including a decent amount of pp time at the end of the year after Burmistov started playing better. It sure didn't look like he was trying to purposefully hold him back.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:28 PM
bigplay41*

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41*
Writing was on the wall. Not surprised by this.

bigplay41* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:28 PM
GoldenJet89

im going to skip the burmi debate to say:

grabovski or brunner are becoming more and more appealing to me. im all for scheif getting a chance, but im still of the opinion that we need more "NHL" forwards... i think one of those two could really help after losing Burmi

would improve depth, add some firepower... more flexibility in the lines

i hope were at least in the running

GoldenJet89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:30 PM
Inflict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
From Chevy's comments, the Jets are taking the long view on this one. He does seem to view Burmi as a longer term asset of the franchise, which makes sense, I suppose.
I wonder how much truth there is to that. I really hope Chevy is being honest because I think this would be a decent move, but two years is a red flag to me. There is probably more than meets the eye here.

My opinion on the matter is pretty much the same reason why any Russian goes to the KHL. Money and possibly home sickness.

Inflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:32 PM
pcanuck

Good for Burmi! I'm sure he'll do well in the KHL and increase his trade value. He's smart for jumping ship. He's 21 with great upside.

This has nothing to do with money.

Burmi was manipulated by Noel for the last two years with playing time and even his role on the team. He is a GIFTED and SKILLED center projected to SCORE. He ended up playing 3rd and 4th line minutes. Then he was put on the PK ... then he was a grinder ... then he was benched for being out of position because he was hitting everything that moved. Noel's answer - zip! Even Burmi didn't know why he was being benched when interviewed on TSN 1290.

Noel has NO reason being an NHL coach because he does not assign minutes based on a players role but rather their hot/cold spells. Why? Because Noel has NO confidence in his players and drastically changes lines with the hope of more scoring (even as early as the first period). The only thing he won't do is piss off his veteran players like 2x stuff Buff - he can play any way he wants. Remember Noel's tirade on Scheifele last developmental game ... expect he continues to bully the younger players.

Has anyone noticed that none of the players in either 2 years have stuck up for their coach (other than poor Ladd)?

Then ... Chevy signs UFA players like Pardy, Frolik and Seti ... all good players (who I like) and will provide depth. But then the question becomes - When will this supposed youth movement begin? Other than Schiefele and Trouba - What ice time will Postma, Redmond, Peluso and soon Tangradi get? What about all these draft selections in the AHL? Klingberg? Telegin? When are these players going to get their chance? When they are 27? 28?

This is terrible mismanagement. I said it the week they signed Chevy (a NO one in the Hawks organization; he built nothing) and announced Noel (an inept asst coach in Columbus of all places). We needed NHL (not AHL) experience not guys who want to get their feet wet.

I've heard so many people say we wanted to be like Nashville. How have they been doing? Division champs? Conference champs? Stanley cup? Yeah - until both Noel and Chevy are out, I don't expect playoffs.

Mark it on your calendar - Nov 20, 2013 - Noel fired, Perron assumes interim coach

pcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:34 PM
Bob E

Wonder if re-signing Antro is a bigger priority, now. If you play Kane with Setoguchi, a good puck distributor is a necessity. Antro might not be the best option, but he might be a cost effective option, as that's not Olli's strength, either, imo.

As for Burmi, didn't his agent say the one thing he wouldn't do is sign in the KHL? Oh well... He's replaceable, but I hope at some point the Jets get value (prospect or pick) for him.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:36 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
My question is how do you effectively deal with someone who by numerous accounts wasn't very receptive. He didn't seem to want to buy into what the coach was selling and I have heard rumblings that he turned down offers from the org for help with regards to things like English tutoring. What would you do?

While I agree that Noel shouldn't have benched him for as long as he did, Burmistrov was still trusted by Noel enough to receive over 15 minutes a game including a decent amount of pp time at the end of the year after Burmistov started playing better. It sure didn't look like he was trying to purposefully hold him back.
that's true, and like i said, it IS burmi's fault for leaving (despite my initial distress).

The non-recptiveness to tutoring is another thing (lack of maturation/etc)

gah, now that my intial rage has passed i'm just dissapointed in burmi.

Had worried that t his might be an option but really thought he wouldn't do it, as brogo said above, he did stay to play in the A.

I just still feel the situation was exasperated and that if we were between "picking sides" we picked the wrong one.

either way, as said, take the long view, two years, we can still get him back and he can still be a good Jet asset.

now i'm just deflated

where's my crow

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:37 PM
winterpeg
Sharp Dressed Man

I think Burmi being willing to go to the AHL for the organization earlier in the season, but then leaving now obviously means that he wasn't at all happy with the way he was treated this year.

Neither am I.

His standard of play was much higher than guys who were never benched, and high enough that he should have spent at least a half season on the second line with Kane, where we would have seen him actually produce, and his play was for the most part within the system Noel had, but I just think there was a massive conformation bias when anyone watches him. "Oh, he's gonna screw up again, look, he did it, guess he's staying on the 4th line today"

Don't tell me LLW play games with 0 turnovers either...

In 2 years, if/when Burmi comes back, Noel will be gone, and maybe he will get to shine then. Who knows.

IMO, one of the organizations biggest mistakes so far, and it falls almost entirely on Noel.

Burmi could have been better, but he could have been playing a role that made sense, too.

winterpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:37 PM
Skidooboy

Antro's agents will be getting a call from Chevy right about now

Skidooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:38 PM
MrWigglez

Should be interesting to see the Jets reaction to this. Do they re-sign Anthro, or do they get another UFA (Grabovski for example). Or do they place their hopes in Schief to be able to step in and play 2nd/3rd line roles and hope that Olli can become more than he was.

MrWigglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:39 PM
Brainstrained

I'm disappointed though I have absolutely no tears over Burmi leaving for the K.

I don't see this as a big loss, offensively, at centre or on the PK. On those points he can easily be replaced. It's really a loss of potential, which Burmi has a lot of.

But he wasn't developing here, perhaps because he was rushed into the NHL by a desperate Atlanta management, and/or any of another half dozen reasons from coaching to a lack of character and maturity.

I hope he can hit reset on an NHL career.

Brainstrained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:43 PM
Che vy Teemuchuk

So we lose his services for 2 years. The only thing we know for sure. I'm definitely looking at this as glass half full. Glad we didn't dump trade him for shinola. And he FINALLY gets a chance to develop his game in a lesser league for a couple of years. 3 years from now:

Wow, Burmi developed awesome over there ------------------------------ I wonder whatever happened to that Burmi guy.

On that spectrum of possibilities I'm willing to bet closer to the former.

Short-term setback. Could be long-term alright if not actual gain. Not sure how big a short term setback though. If we can sign a true puck distributor to centre EKane and Gooch for 1-2 years and have Scheif/Olli at C/RW on 3rd line we'll be just fine. And we have the cash to do it now. Too bad we couldn't have done the 1 year Roy contract. But alternatively if Scheif gets a true shot and makes the next step, then Jetland can be very happy too.

Edit (again): Oops. Frolik will likely be 3rd line RW. I'd like to see Olli at LW and be able to take some C/face-off responsibility for Scheif from time to time at 3 C.

Last edited by Che vy Teemuchuk: 07-08-2013 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Whoops. I meant former not latter.
Che vy Teemuchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:46 PM
CTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidooboy View Post
God I hope not

CTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:46 PM
GoJetsGo55

vCash: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogosian View Post
Wonder if this crow would be easier to get down with some Sririacha sauce?
Pass the sauce please :|

GoJetsGo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:52 PM
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
No mistakes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snot Rocket View Post
I actually think this might be good for both sides, though not the ideal one.
Burmi goes to the KHL for 2 years and we don't have to pay for his development.
He was not going down the Ice Caps again, and he was not going to get the additional development he needed here. So he goes home and matures a bit, finds his touch etc and comes back a man.
My thinking as well.

Probably better than the alternative, which would have been dealing Burmistrov for scrap metal. Although if that rumoured Burmi for Stafford + 2nd was actually on the table...dang.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:54 PM
CorgisPer60
Barking at the net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
My thinking as well.

Probably better than the alternative, which would have been dealing Burmistrov for scrap metal.
Which, according to some armchair GMS on HF, we should have. Several people also seem to think that RFA status lasts for 7 seasons from their entry into the NHL and not 7 seasons played. Not sure what to think now. Where's Holden when we need him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theamazingchris View Post
Am I the only one who thinks this was strictly business? Tough to say without numbers, but it is a bit silly to get a home town discount when he actually went and signed in his actual hometown, haha.
It's entirely possible that Chevy low-balled him on a bridge contract and wouldn't budge on it, so Burmi took the money elsewhere. It's his right as a Free Agent.

CorgisPer60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:56 PM
theamazingchris

Am I the only one who thinks this was strictly business? Tough to say without numbers, but it is a bit silly to get a home town discount when he actually went and signed in his actual hometown, haha.

theamazingchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 12:58 PM
Rheged
JMFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Wonder if re-signing Antro is a bigger priority, now. If you play Kane with Setoguchi, a good puck distributor is a necessity. Antro might not be the best option, but he might be a cost effective option, as that's not Olli's strength, either, imo.

As for Burmi, didn't his agent say the one thing he wouldn't do is sign in the KHL? Oh well... He's replaceable, but I hope at some point the Jets get value (prospect or pick) for him.
If Grabovski's looking for more than a 2-3 year deal at like 3.5 million I think Antropov is probably the best that's still out there.

He get's hurt every year anyways so it would be a nice way to ease Scheifele in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
My thinking as well.

Probably better than the alternative, which would have been dealing Burmistrov for scrap metal. Although if that rumoured Burmi for Stafford + 2nd was actually on the table...dang.
We were adding the 2nd weren't we? If not then they should have jumped on that yeah.

Rheged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:01 PM
Turbofan
Just shoot it Toby!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcanuck View Post
When will this supposed youth movement begin? Other than Schiefele and Trouba - What ice time will Postma, Redmond, Peluso and soon Tangradi get? What about all these draft selections in the AHL? Klingberg? Telegin? When are these players going to get their chance? When they are 27? 28?
Burmi and Kane are only two months apart. Kane gets plenty of trust and ice-time.

Redmond was trusted with 20+ minutes a game during much of his stint.

Zach Bogosian is 22 years old and is trusted with 22+ minutes per game.

But hey, I guess Noel never gives 'kids' a chance.

Burmi is not a kid. He's a man. Physically, at least. He'll be 22 this year. Was making $1.5 million a year over 3 years on his ELC, and you know what, that's not a kid...that's a professional hockey player. One who has played under 3 different coaches in the NHL and AHL and for whatever reason, has yet to shine, and is reported to be a difficult listener by both his coach, and fellow players. Burmi averaged something like 17 minutes a game during the season. That's not 3rd or 4th line minutes by any stretch of the imagination.

These guys get yelled at in Juniors, in the OHL, wherever. You don't think Noel has ever yelled at an older player? Sure he has. With the Scheifele incident you're speaking of, the media asked him about it, and Noel said something like, 'He's playing in a man's game. So I'm going to treat him like a man.'

If I'm any judge of character, Scheifele probably took it proudly on the chin without whimpering, and took ownership of his deficiencies in play.

Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:04 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
Burmi and Kane are only two months apart. Kane gets plenty of trust and ice-time.

Redmond was trusted with 20+ minutes a game during much of his stint.

Zach Bogosian is 22 years old and is trusted with 22+ minutes per game.

But hey, I guess Noel never gives 'kids' a chance.

Burmi is not a kid. He's a man. Physically, at least. He'll be 22 this year. Was making $1.5 million a year over 3 years on his ELC, and you know what, that's not a kid...that's a professional hockey player. One who has played under 3 different coaches in the NHL and AHL and for whatever reason, has yet to shine, and is reported to be a difficult listener by both his coach, and fellow players. Burmi averaged something like 17 minutes a game during the season. That's not 3rd or 4th line minutes by any stretch of the imagination.

These guys get yelled at in Juniors, in the OHL, wherever. You don't think Noel has ever yelled at an older player? Sure he has. With the Scheifele incident you're speaking of, the media asked him about it, and Noel said something like, 'He's playing in a man's game. So I'm going to treat him like a man.'

If I'm any judge of character, Scheifele probably took it proudly on the chin without whimpering, and took ownership of his deficiencies in play.
Great post.

Very well said.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:10 PM
allan5oh
Has prospect fever

vCash: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidooboy View Post
When has Chevy disappointed you this off season?

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote