Notices

Burmistrov to KHL - [UPDATE JULY 8, 2013] Signs 2 year contract with AK Bars

Old
07-08-2013, 01:19 PM
TCsmyth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcanuck View Post
Good for Burmi! I'm sure he'll do well in the KHL and increase his trade value. He's smart for jumping ship. He's 21 with great upside.

This has nothing to do with money.

Burmi was manipulated by Noel for the last two years with playing time and even his role on the team. He is a GIFTED and SKILLED center projected to SCORE. He ended up playing 3rd and 4th line minutes. Then he was put on the PK ... then he was a grinder ... then he was benched for being out of position because he was hitting everything that moved. Noel's answer - zip! Even Burmi didn't know why he was being benched when interviewed on TSN 1290.

Noel has NO reason being an NHL coach because he does not assign minutes based on a players role but rather their hot/cold spells. Why? Because Noel has NO confidence in his players and drastically changes lines with the hope of more scoring (even as early as the first period). The only thing he won't do is piss off his veteran players like 2x stuff Buff - he can play any way he wants. Remember Noel's tirade on Scheifele last developmental game ... expect he continues to bully the younger players.

Has anyone noticed that none of the players in either 2 years have stuck up for their coach (other than poor Ladd)?

Then ... Chevy signs UFA players like Pardy, Frolik and Seti ... all good players (who I like) and will provide depth. But then the question becomes - When will this supposed youth movement begin? Other than Schiefele and Trouba - What ice time will Postma, Redmond, Peluso and soon Tangradi get? What about all these draft selections in the AHL? Klingberg? Telegin? When are these players going to get their chance? When they are 27? 28?

This is terrible mismanagement. I said it the week they signed Chevy (a NO one in the Hawks organization; he built nothing) and announced Noel (an inept asst coach in Columbus of all places). We needed NHL (not AHL) experience not guys who want to get their feet wet.

I've heard so many people say we wanted to be like Nashville. How have they been doing? Division champs? Conference champs? Stanley cup? Yeah - until both Noel and Chevy are out, I don't expect playoffs.

Mark it on your calendar - Nov 20, 2013 - Noel fired, Perron assumes interim coach
First highlight - disagree, I think this has tons to do with money. Second highlight...now that is funny

I like when someone tries to "spice" up the conversation (I assume you mean Jean Perron?)

TCsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:21 PM
Andrew Knoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogosian View Post
Wonder if this crow would be easier to get down with some Sririacha sauce?

Gotta admit, I was totally wrong on this.

I still don't buy the whole "don't draft Russians" idea, but I didn't think Burmistrov would do this, especially since he played in the AHL during the lockout when he could have very easily played in the KHL.

Hopefully he gets his confidence back and returns at some point. Sucks to lose a top 'prospect' for nothing.
I don't think this situation pertains to the "don't draft Russians" thing. It's odd that his agent said that the KHL was not really on the table, but I do think it was a last resort for him. I wish my last resorts came with six zeros on them though.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:22 PM
tbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
If Grabovski's looking for more than a 2-3 year deal at like 3.5 million I think Antropov is probably the best that's still out there.

He get's hurt every year anyways so it would be a nice way to ease Scheifele in

We were adding the 2nd weren't we? If not then they should have jumped on that yeah.
They wanted a first, according to some reports out of Buffalo. So Burmi+1st for Stafford. Don't blame Chevy for that one.

tbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:24 PM
winterpeg
Sharp Dressed Man

The thing that frustrates me the most about all of this, is that it means that Lawless was right.

winterpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:24 PM
almostawake

I'm disappointed, but not surprised, that Burmistrov chose this path.

I hope his on-ice decision making and commitment to the game improve by playing with and against a lot of guys fighting tooth and nail to hang on to their careers.

I have a feeling Burmistrov may be in for a rude awakening in the KHL. Given his (likely) level of pay and the fact he's the hometown boy returning from the best league in the world, there is going to be a tonne of pressure on him to perform. He'll definitely have to adapt to being the guy with all eyes on him.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:26 PM
AWSAA

vCash: 1259
Thank you Claude!

How many kids come into the NHL and are as defensively responsible as Burmistrov? Those players usually get rewarded! Somehow he got stuck in Noel's doghouse in favor of players who were no longer good enough to play in the NHL (Stapleton, Miettinen, etc).

AWSAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:28 PM
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
No mistakes...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCsmyth View Post
First highlight - disagree, I think this has tons to do with money. Second highlight...now that is funny

I like when someone tries to "spice" up the conversation (I assume you mean Jean Perron?)
I was assuming he meant Perry Pearn. Jean Perron would be the funniest hiring in the history of the NHL, especially considering the bad terms he left on with TNSE.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:29 PM
Turbofan
Just shoot it Toby!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Great post.

Very well said.
Thanks. The point I was sort of trying to make was, 'What makes Kane, Bogosian, Scheifele, and Trouba different from Burmi?' Age-wise, they're not far apart all. All between 19 and 22. Why does it seem they have, or will get, the trust of the coaching staff, while Burmi didn't? Because not only are they men physically, they've also matured somewhat in their on-ice+locker room attitude. They do what is asked of them, as well-compensated, professional hockey players. As men.

If any of the rumors are true, it sounds like Burmi still has a bit of ways to go in that regard. Hopefully he can pick it up overseas.

Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:34 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
Burmi and Kane are only two months apart. Kane gets plenty of trust and ice-time.

(snip lots of good thoughts)
Very well said.

Disappointing day, but onwards and upwards: change necessitates more change, and hopefully for the better. Opportunities now arise for other prospects or signings.

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:35 PM
AWSAA

If Noel doesn't get the team into the playoffs he better be fired. I know TNSE perceives itself as a loyal organization, but you have to find the right person first. They could have given Noel a job with the Ice Caps and brought in a proven NHL coach.

I still don't understand how the entire coaching staff survived last season after looking at the pp, pk, and ga numbers.

Last edited by AWSAA: 07-08-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old
07-08-2013, 01:38 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Burmistrov returning to Russia is addition by subtraction.

For Burmistrov, he can play at home and the Olympic sized rinks will give him more room to stick handle in circles in the corner.

For the Jets, they remove a player who was not developing and give another player an opportunity.

Plus, Jacob Trouba can go back to wearing his favorite number 8!

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:49 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

C'est la vie.

Probably best for both sides:

Burmistrov can attempt to raise his stock to get more $$ in NHL and better return for the Jets to trade.
If he fails, Jets lose a NHL asset but that happens all the time and Burmistrov can make a lot of money in Europe anyways.

Last edited by garret9: 07-08-2013 at 01:55 PM.
garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 01:59 PM
Guerzy
Things we now know

vCash: 69
Quote:
Burmi and Kane are only two months apart. Kane gets plenty of trust and ice-time.

Redmond was trusted with 20+ minutes a game during much of his stint.

Zach Bogosian is 22 years old and is trusted with 22+ minutes per game.

But hey, I guess Noel never gives 'kids' a chance.

Burmi is not a kid. He's a man. Physically, at least. He'll be 22 this year. Was making $1.5 million a year over 3 years on his ELC, and you know what, that's not a kid...that's a professional hockey player. One who has played under 3 different coaches in the NHL and AHL and for whatever reason, has yet to shine, and is reported to be a difficult listener by both his coach, and fellow players. Burmi averaged something like 17 minutes a game during the season. That's not 3rd or 4th line minutes by any stretch of the imagination.

These guys get yelled at in Juniors, in the OHL, wherever. You don't think Noel has ever yelled at an older player? Sure he has. With the Scheifele incident you're speaking of, the media asked him about it, and Noel said something like, 'He's playing in a man's game. So I'm going to treat him like a man.'

If I'm any judge of character, Scheifele probably took it proudly on the chin without whimpering, and took ownership of his deficiencies in play.
This is quite an excellent post, I think.

At the end of the day here it boils down to being quite unfortunate for both sides, team and player, that it came to this. However, in 2 years time (or whenever) I hope if Burmistrov is not traded in that time that we see him come back and we see both sides try again, much like Radulov and Nashville a year ago. No, it didn't work out obviously, but the two sides found it in themselves to open the relationship again and give it a try. I hope perhaps we can do the same. Until then, I really don't see Burmistrov getting traded as his value will be nothing, in my opinion. In a couple years there could be some hype in him coming back, so we'll see what happens over time here. Like others have said, this could be good for both sides, team and player.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 02:01 PM
meedle

vCash: 3181
Quote:
Thanks. The point I was sort of trying to make was, 'What makes Kane, Bogosian, Scheifele, and Trouba different from Burmi?' Age-wise, they're not far apart all. All between 19 and 22. Why does it seem they have, or will get, the trust of the coaching staff, while Burmi didn't? Because not only are they men physically, they've also matured somewhat in their on-ice+locker room attitude. They do what is asked of them, as well-compensated, professional hockey players. As men.

If any of the rumors are true, it sounds like Burmi still has a bit of ways to go in that regard. Hopefully he can pick it up overseas.
Don't quite agree. Are you saying Scheifele has the trust of noel? I laugh at that. People can say what they want but he still hasn't gotten a good shot. You can also argue that he has been mismanaged.

Remember the first game when Kane got.. Can't remember but i think like 12 min of ice time.

Almost 1 mos to go in the season, Trouba decides to leave college to turn pro. All he gets is practice time? By all accounts from different people he was ready to make the jump. How come all organizations were willing to play their young guys but not us. Look at Kreider 2 years ago in the playoffs or Dekeyser in detroit when he left college. There is a ton of examples of players at least getting a look or chance to contribute. But not Winnipeg.

meedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 02:03 PM
PaperRockChamp

What needs to be answered right now: Is Trouba switching to #8, or sticking with #3?

PaperRockChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 02:06 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

I still think Noel mismanages his players, but I don't think it has anything to do with youth versus vets...
And I don't think Burmistrov is free from shouldering some blame.
And I don't think Burmistrov should completely shoulder the blame either.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 02:08 PM
thereturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperRockChamp View Post
What needs to be answered right now: Is Trouba switching to #8, or sticking with #3?
Yup... hope he switches to his #8 so I can get my nameplate switched. If so, there may be quite a few Trouba Jerseys around the rink this year.

thereturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 02:09 PM
Nothing Is New

All the Noel hate is interesting. Team has been very close to playoffs two years in a row - with at best average talent. This time 'Claude the Fraud' must go because Burmistrov is leaving for some KHL sugar. He evidently hasn't been developed properly over here.

You know, a lot of this is on Burmistrov. Atlanta desperately needed offensive help but could only use Burmi on 3rd/4th checking line. Winnipeg found the same thing. I doubt both coaches decided to deliberately sabotage Burmi's career - to the detriment of their own teams and their own careers? Is it more likely Burmi was just too far behind, too little, - too AHL-ish?

Nothing Is New is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 02:17 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
I still think Noel mismanages his players, but I don't think it has anything to do with youth versus vets...
And I don't think Burmistrov is free from shouldering some blame.
And I don't think Burmistrov should completely shoulder the blame either.
After my initital reaction of rage, this is where I am.

Though obviously it was not how i came out on this topic begin with, will not edit my original reactionary angry noel-blame-fest as i feel shame about them.

I had hoped burmi would be "man-enough" to take his lumps and grind it out, at least one more year, here.

I do think with different handling there wouldn't have been any lumps to grind out.

a bad situation was created (could have been avoided) so a bad decision was made.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 02:18 PM
AWSAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing Is New View Post
Atlanta desperately needed offensive help but could only use Burmi on 3rd/4th checking line. Winnipeg found the same thing. I doubt both coaches decided to deliberately sabotage Burmi's career - to the detriment of their own teams and their own careers? Is it more likely Burmi was just too far behind, too little, - too AHL-ish?

He played in Atlanta for one year as an 18 year old. FFS Joe Thornton had 7 points in his rookie season.

Burmistrov will be in the NHL five years from now. I can't say the same for Noel.

Old
07-08-2013, 02:19 PM
meedle

vCash: 3181
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
I don't think this post is accurate.

Few people are content just having a team. This was evident being at games in season 1 vs. season 2.
Secondly, I think people that follow the team would disagree with the assessment that management isn't trying to improve the squad. Frolik, Seto, Jokinen,Poni are all signings that AT THE TIME were hailed as wise moves to improve the team.

Lastly, not sure who other than Burmi has left. We've re-signed all our big guns thus far and attracted some free agents. Have there been players who chose not to come to winnipeg, but I can't think of ones that have left.

I just don't think you have a basis to make those claims.

I think Chevy has done a pretty good job at drafting/FA/trades. He hasn't given away the farm and yet has build our cupboards and improved the roster.

Like you said he has done moves every year to improve the team. The big moves are from allowing your young guys to break into the lineup. IMO that is where your biggest impact will be. For me personally I won't get on him for another 5 years til I see tons in the cupboard. Noel is a different story tho, Just don't like how he coaches or manages the players.

meedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 02:38 PM
Turbofan
Just shoot it Toby!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meedle View Post
Almost 1 mos to go in the season, Trouba decides to leave college to turn pro. All he gets is practice time? By all accounts from different people he was ready to make the jump. How come all organizations were willing to play their young guys but not us.
So, with the Jets fighting for a playoff spot in April, Trouba signs on the 3rd I believe, and has his first chance to practice with the team on the 8th.

Keep in mind that the Jets are at the beginning of a streak that will see them win 5 straight and go unbeaten in regulation over 7 (6-0-1). Did you expect the smart move at this stage, within 2-4 points of a playoff spot, is to insert a teenager into your defense lineup who has never played in an NHL game, or with any of these players, and who has had one practice? Really?

Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 02:39 PM
Rook37

vCash: 583
This sucks.

I'm disappointed in Burmi, but I wish the org. was able to figure something out, too. Or that it was just a one-year deal.

Oh well, here's hoping we see a bigger and better Burmi in a Jets uniform for 2015-16

Rook37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 02:43 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

I enjoy conspiracy theories

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 02:46 PM
King Woodballs

vCash: 375
Quote:

Redmond was trusted with 20+ minutes a game during much of his stint.

Zach Bogosian is 22 years old and is trusted with 22+ minutes per game.

But hey, I guess Noel never gives 'kids' a chance.

Burmi is not a kid. He's a man. Physically, at least. He'll be 22 this year. Was making $1.5 million a year over 3 years on his ELC, and you know what, that's not a kid...that's a professional hockey player. One who has played under 3 different coaches in the NHL and AHL and for whatever reason, has yet to shine, and is reported to be a difficult listener by both his coach, and fellow players. Burmi averaged something like 17 minutes a game during the season. That's not 3rd or 4th line minutes by any stretch of the imagination.

These guys get yelled at in Juniors, in the OHL, wherever. You don't think Noel has ever yelled at an older player? Sure he has. With the Scheifele incident you're speaking of, the media asked him about it, and Noel said something like, 'He's playing in a man's game. So I'm going to treat him like a man.'

If I'm any judge of character, Scheifele probably took it proudly on the chin without whimpering, and took ownership of his deficiencies in play.
Now this wins post of the years award

Here here!

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote