HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Already talk of offer sheets

Old
07-05-2013, 01:29 PM
Prussian_Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
I would not be opposed to offering Shea Weber money to Pietrangelo. I fully expect the Blues to match, but I would structure it in a way that it would hurt their bottom line.
You've clearly earned your user name with this comment...

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 01:30 PM
kingsfan
Yes my liege!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyscene View Post
Dreger seems to be talking out of his ass.

Isles have like, $30 million in available cap space--there is 0% chance the Isles wouldn't be able to match.
You're right. I mean the Islanders spend right up to the cap every year, don't they?

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 01:32 PM
nyscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
You're right. I mean the Islanders spend right up to the cap every year, don't they?
As I said before--look at their salaries before they decided to go full rebuild.

They spent.

nyscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 01:49 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
Don't forget the 4 million tied to Whitneys lame ankle.
I would offer 7.5/8yrs for Pietrangelo or maybe 5.5/8 for McDonagh
Did they change the max length when determining offersheet compensation for offersheets was 5 years? Just as an example - Pietro would be $60M/5 years = $12M per year, which results in 4 1st round DP's as compensation. $44M/5 = 8.5M per year for RMD would I think also be 4 1st round DP's as compensation.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 01:52 PM
kingsfan
Yes my liege!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyscene View Post
As I said before--look at their salaries before they decided to go full rebuild.

They spent.
You may be 100% correct, that's not my point. My point was that just because NYI has cap space does not mean they will use it.

Old
07-05-2013, 02:09 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 129
Quote:
Last Sept. Wang got his arena issue settled, signing the Brooklyn lease. This the first season Wang gets revenue sharing. Wang + Ratner are trying to get the isles out of their Coliseum lease a yr early. It will likely come down to the arena land development bid.

.$35m extra in luxury suites + huge cable deal+ revenue sharing.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 02:11 PM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Pretty sure the new CBA changed that rule.
It changed the rule, but that change doesn't affect Stepan because he is not arbitration eligible and cannot be protected from an offer sheet.

speeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 02:48 PM
kingsfan
Yes my liege!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Last Sept. Wang got his arena issue settled, signing the Brooklyn lease. This the first season Wang gets revenue sharing. Wang + Ratner are trying to get the isles out of their Coliseum lease a yr early. It will likely come down to the arena land development bid.

.$35m extra in luxury suites + huge cable deal+ revenue sharing.
As above, my point is that just because the Islanders have cap space to spend doesn't mean they will spend it, which is what the other poster implied.

Old
07-05-2013, 03:01 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
The offersheet game did manage to let SJ get Niemi.
My recollection was Niemi went to arbitration, and Chicago refused to pay the arbiter's decision. I think the offersheet role is a bit tenuous. You could just as easily say that their screw-up with qualifying a couple RFAs drove some salaries up enough to price Niemi (I think it was 2.5M) out of their range.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:15 PM
DamonDRW

Hopefully no one will throw money at Nyquist now when Detroit has just 2M under the cap.

DamonDRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:18 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
My recollection was Niemi went to arbitration, and Chicago refused to pay the arbiter's decision. I think the offersheet role is a bit tenuous. You could just as easily say that their screw-up with qualifying a couple RFAs drove some salaries up enough to price Niemi (I think it was 2.5M) out of their range.
You are correct that Niemi went to arbitration. From my perspective though, I thought that Hjalmarsson would get a deal at about $2.5M. The "extra" $1M in the offersheet ate up the available cap room and the Hawks were unable to pay the arbitrators award. It was a perfect example of a tactical way to use an offersheet to allow a poaching attempt on a 2nd asset. Of course, the Hawks were right up against the cap which isn't the case for the teams mentioned.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:18 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonDRW View Post
Hopefully no one will throw money at Nyquist now when Detroit has just 2M under the cap.

Thanks for the idea.

NONIS!!!!!! GET EM

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:27 PM
DamonDRW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsky View Post
Thanks for the idea.

NONIS!!!!!! GET EM
we will find a way to match anything up to 3.5M but... mote than that will be tough while the return for up to 5M is not really significant.

DamonDRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:29 PM
And You Feel Shame

Quote:
As above, my point is that just because the Islanders have cap space to spend doesn't mean they will spend it, which is what the other poster implied.
And crew's point is that just because they haven't spent in the rebuilding years prior to these events, it doesn't mean they won't spend.

Nor that there is even a history to compare it to given Wang's willingness to spend earlier in his tenure before the Lighthouse development plan became a political football.

And You Feel Shame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:15 PM
Islander Prophet

Hamonic had no chance of ever getting stolen. Isles would have paid whatever it needed to keep him.

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:17 PM
oobga
Tier 2 Fan

vCash: 800
McDonagh would be the perfect guy for the Oilers in my mind. Would be awesome to have him playing with Justin Schultz. Don't think MacT is quite BOLD enough to try to get him though, and no doubt NYR match unless the deal is insane and completely ruins the oilers future.

oobga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:18 PM
kingsfan
Yes my liege!

Quote:
Originally Posted by And You Feel Shame View Post
And crew's point is that just because they haven't spent in the rebuilding years prior to these events, it doesn't mean they won't spend.

Nor that there is even a history to compare it to given Wang's willingness to spend earlier in his tenure before the Lighthouse development plan became a political football.
Of course it doesn't mean they won't spend to the cap.

That said, if you're hedging your bets, which Dreger was in the original post I replied to, do you hedge towards the Islanders suddenly spending to the cap?

Of course not.

I'm not trying to get a bunch of Isles fans panties in a knot here, but get real. The odds Wang suddenly breaks open the bank to the tune of over $60 million is unlikely. Can the dude afford it? Likely. Will he? Maybe, but highly doubtful this year.

Old
07-05-2013, 05:20 PM
Tripod

Better hope Holmgren isn't getting bored!

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:23 PM
Wolverine Wings
#thankyoubasedgod

Quote:
Detroit has over 4 million in cap space and it'd have to be a massive overpayment to rip him away from Detroit.

Wolverine Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:07 PM
Hero
Buffy is Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
I would not be opposed to offering Shea Weber money to Pietrangelo. I fully expect the Blues to match, but I would structure it in a way that it would hurt their bottom line.
7 years

Year...

1- 500k - $46 million signing bonus
2- 500k
3- 500k
4- 500k
5- 500k
6- 500k
7- 500k

7.5 mill cap hit

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:09 PM
Hero
Buffy is Back

Quote:
More interested in Smith.

But over $3.2 mill to both and see what happens.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:32 PM
Scott Scissons
No.1 Bust

vCash: 835
Quote:
Of course it doesn't mean they won't spend to the cap.

That said, if you're hedging your bets, which Dreger was in the original post I replied to, do you hedge towards the Islanders suddenly spending to the cap?

Of course not.

I'm not trying to get a bunch of Isles fans panties in a knot here, but get real. The odds Wang suddenly breaks open the bank to the tune of over $60 million is unlikely. Can the dude afford it? Likely. Will he? Maybe, but highly doubtful this year.
No one said they would be a cap ceiling team, they only said they would match harmonic unless it was an insane deal. You blathering on about not utilizing the whole cap is a joke when they need to spend another 12+ million just to hit the cap floor.

Scott Scissons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:04 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 129
Quote:
Press is reporting the isles signed Hamonic to a 7 yr/ $27m extension.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:10 PM
Trottier
Very Random

There is "talk of RFA offer sheets" every summer.

And every summer there is a token offer/signing and that is it.

Expect same this summer regardless of what the clueless coiffed one (Dreger) throws out there.

Think the salary structure is out of whack now? It would be exponentially so were GMs to start artificially raising the going rate for younger players.

They will continue to avoid NHLPA claims of collusion by putting out an odd offer sheet here or there, but nothing else.

Thankfully.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:12 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator

vCash: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
It's funny because of all the prized RFAs out there, you'd think the Rangers would be the biggest target simply because they have quite a few to sign. They have enough space but a bloated offer sheet can really screw with their plans.

Devils have already said they'd match any offer sheet to Henrique btw.
Teams would be stupid to offer sheet a Ranger RFA. When it comes down to their team having RFAs, Sather would be stupid not to get revenge, and with a team as rich as the Rangers, no team would want a grudge by him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
We hear about revenge offer sheets all the time but in reality, they are very hard to come to fruition. It requires some very good timing.. a team with cap space, a team without cap space that has spent a full year not negotiating with their RFAs.

Quite honestly I don't think any GM ever really cares about the revenge factor, especially in a salary cap world. Just weighing compensation vs. acquiring player.
If teams take Rangers' RFAs away, we will have enough cap space.

Glass from Girardi is practically a mathematical impossibility. I'm glad to have witnessed this great Rangers moment. -Bob Richards
I'd hate to know what the toilet facilities look like after a game with the way this team aims... -Megustaelhockey
Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote