HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Offer Sheets -- Pietrangelo

Old
07-05-2013, 07:21 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Anyone who thinks we shouldn't match a Pietrangelo offer sheet is crazy. Pietrangelo alone makes the team better and most likely outside the top 5 picks. Once you get outside the top 5 there is a huge risk of the players ever being more then role players. You'd be lucky if all 4 were even NHL players IMO.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:56 PM
Oshie97

vCash: 500
Not many teams have the cap to even give an offer sheet of 7 or 8 mil right now? Not many so im not worried.

Oshie97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 08:01 PM
jarmoismyhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
Anyone who thinks we shouldn't match a Pietrangelo offer sheet is crazy. Pietrangelo alone makes the team better and most likely outside the top 5 picks. Once you get outside the top 5 there is a huge risk of the players ever being more then role players. You'd be lucky if all 4 were even NHL players IMO.
That is exactly why I think people who feel the Blues may not match something of 7 years and 7-8 per are out to lunch. You simply cannot let him leave for draft picks that due nothing to help the team. You have known for the last 2 years that Pie was going to be the one guy the team has to commit term and dollars to. If they cannot afford one player at that price than this team will never win a cup. Looking at all the other deals that have been signed the Blues have bargains for pretty much every player on the team.

jarmoismyhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 10:52 PM
Cotton McKnight
BLUESBLUESBLUESBLUES

Yeah, Army getting quoted as saying the Blues are going to sign him no matter what is total troll bait (not too smart on Army's part, if he does sign him now, I would be surprised if we are not going to be vastly overpay him). Bye bye AP, you could not sign with us before FA, that tells us you are all about the money.....

Cotton McKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 11:53 PM
jarmoismyhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton McKnight View Post
Yeah, Army getting quoted as saying the Blues are going to sign him no matter what is total troll bait (not too smart on Army's part, if he does sign him now, I would be surprised if we are not going to be vastly overpay him). Bye bye AP, you could not sign with us before FA, that tells us you are all about the money.....
I hope this was a sarcastic post.

jarmoismyhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 11:54 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
I hope Pietro signs soon just because this thread is painful to read. Some bizarre opinions, based on something other than facts.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 11:58 PM
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

And what if Paul Holmgren signs him to an offer sheet for 7 years at 8 million per year with the max possible upfront? Do the Blues match or take the picks? Can they realistically match? Right now the Blues are 11 million under the max cap with Pietrangelo, Stewart and Allen left to sign. If 8 of that is going to Pietrangelo, the Blues can kiss goodbye to Stewart and will likely have to deal another body for the money to keep Allen and replace the other body with a cheaper option. And, at that point, the Blues will be completely maxed out. And next season when Steen, Berglund, Sobotka, Schwartz, Bouwmeester, Halak and Elliott are all free agents they will be jammed up big time.

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 12:01 AM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

vCash: 0
Pietrangelo signing is the last thing I'm worried about, it will happen.

bluesman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 01:01 AM
taylord22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
And what if Paul Holmgren signs him to an offer sheet for 7 years at 8 million per year with the max possible upfront? Do the Blues match or take the picks? Can they realistically match? Right now the Blues are 11 million under the max cap with Pietrangelo, Stewart and Allen left to sign. If 8 of that is going to Pietrangelo, the Blues can kiss goodbye to Stewart and will likely have to deal another body for the money to keep Allen and replace the other body with a cheaper option. And, at that point, the Blues will be completely maxed out. And next season when Steen, Berglund, Sobotka, Schwartz, Bouwmeester, Halak and Elliott are all free agents they will be jammed up big time.
The answer to that question is that we let Stewart go without a second's hesitation and lock up Pietrangelo. The cheaper bodies to replace our guys are in the system, in Rattie and Jaskin. Both are far too green, but it's absurd to assume we would risk losing a talent like Pietrangelo. He means much more to our team moving forward than the second line talent we would have to give up, up front.

Bouwmeester will likely be getting enough of a reduction to fit Steen's raise. Schwartz, barring an incredible breakout, will likely be adopting our traditional prove yourself contract. Sobotka is due a raise, but in context it will very likely be manageable. Berglund and the goaltending are really the only two unknowns I see in your scenario.

You're right that we'll be jammed up, but it looks to be the situation we've all known was coming — the time when we truly identify our core that we usher our 'new core' around. Part of the reason for preferring to go short term contracts that sit within the RFA range, I suspect, is that it gives us a lot of mobility for when we're forced to choose between replacing a prime era player with a younger one. That starts next year — and we're poised to not being forced to slip too far in between the times when the window is wider than others.

All that said, I doubt Pietrangelo will be on our books for 8mil when it's all said and done.

taylord22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 01:11 AM
BlueBeard

Why do people even question whether the Blues would keep someone who is by far their best player and one of the premier young players at his position or a good 2nd line forward? All for a mythical offer sheet that one dumb GM might not even have the cap space to offer to begin with.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 01:13 AM
armchairgmvancouver

The only team you should be worried about is Toronto offer sheeting him. They have the cap space and the money to offer him 8 plus per season. The Blues most likely match regardless but wind up paying more then they probably wanted and lose Stewart or someone else for cap reasons because of it. It's in Blues best interest to sign him sooner rather then let him recieve a offer sheet.

armchairgmvancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 02:20 AM
Pie Man
A-Pie

I do hope some team will throw him a offersheet so that the Blues can match and have Pie signed. I said this again, Im afraid Pie is gonna do a Doughty or Subban and hold out

Pie Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 02:35 AM
BleedinBlueSince1972
More Cowbell!!!

vCash: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie Man View Post
I do hope some team will throw him a offersheet so that the Blues can match and have Pie signed. I said this again, Im afraid Pie is gonna do a Doughty or Subban and hold out
I'm starting to feel like this could very well happen as well to by far my favorite Blues player

BleedinBlueSince1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 06:49 AM
Alklha

That would be Doughty and Subban who missed a combined 6 games with their hold outs? I'd rather it doesn't drag out, but the deal will get done and there isn't much chance of him missing games. Hopefully an 8 year deal.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:38 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
That would be Doughty and Subban who missed a combined 6 games with their hold outs? I'd rather it doesn't drag out, but the deal will get done and there isn't much chance of him missing games. Hopefully an 8 year deal.
Wow, is that correct? It felt like Subban missed a lot more than that.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:39 AM
BleedinBlueSince1972
More Cowbell!!!

vCash: 1010
Besides, The Flyers as I type, are OVER the reduced 2014 Salary Cap right now with their UFA signings of Streit, Vinny & Emery, so a offer sheet would come from a NHL team with the cap space.

BleedinBlueSince1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:44 AM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
With what money and cap space is Philly going to sign Pietrangelo to an offer sheet? Pretty much he's not there is not money for philly to make a substantial offer sheet....

Old
07-06-2013, 10:45 AM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchairgmvancouver View Post
The only team you should be worried about is Toronto offer sheeting him. They have the cap space and the money to offer him 8 plus per season. The Blues most likely match regardless but wind up paying more then they probably wanted and lose Stewart or someone else for cap reasons because of it. It's in Blues best interest to sign him sooner rather then let him recieve a offer sheet.
After signing their RFA Toronto will not have the cap space.....

Old
07-06-2013, 10:46 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Yep. There really isn't a logical team out there that could send an offersheet.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:47 AM
HooliganX2

Really there are only a few teams that have the money and cap space to offer sheet Pietrangelo so my worries of a big offer sheet coming are pretty much gone. Most teams just don't have the cap space anymore.

Last edited by HooliganX2: 07-06-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old
07-06-2013, 10:51 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Only the Oilers IMO and even then it would be pretty close and unlikely. The Sens could as well, but I doubt they would.

Old
07-06-2013, 10:54 AM
SirPaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Only the Oilers IMO and even then it would be pretty close and unlikely. The Sens could as well, but I doubt they would.
If the Oilers did im sure we would send one for Gagner right back

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:00 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
If the Oilers did im sure we would send one for Gagner right back
Yep. They still have a bunch of forwards to sign still, so I'm not sure they would have the cap space when it's all said and done.

Old
07-06-2013, 11:56 AM
Flyers Time

Wayne Simmonds
Sean Couturier
Andrej Meszároš
2 1sts
for
Pietrangelo

Flyers Time is offline   Reply With Quote