HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Your 2013-2014 Detroit Red Wings

Old
07-06-2013, 12:57 AM
mottjm7

vCash: 500
I am not sure Babs will move Abby away from Dats and Z. I think he likes his ability to go hard deep in the zone and retrieve pucks for Datsyuk. I dont think Alfie will be good in that role. I agree with Khan:

Quote:
The Red Wings signed Stephen Weiss Friday (five years, $24.5 million) to be their second-line center. This enables them to use Datsyuk and Zetterberg together, with Justin Abdelkader. Weiss will center a line with Alfredsson and Johan Franzen.
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....es_red_wi.html

my forwards
Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Abdelkader
Gus-Weiss-Alfie
Franzen-Helm/Andersson-Tatar
Miller-Andersson/Emmerton-Bert/Morrow/Eaves

mottjm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 01:19 AM
Syckle78

Well I don't like Abby on that top line,but it may lead us to having by far the best third line in the league. These lines have the ability to cause match up hell for the opposition. We have a really legit top 9 ,potentially,depending on if Cleary comes back and how Babcock forms the lines.

Syckle78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 01:31 AM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syckle78 View Post
Well I don't like Abby on that top line,but it may lead us to having by far the best third line in the league. These lines have the ability to cause match up hell for the opposition. We have a really legit top 9 ,potentially,depending on if Cleary comes back and how Babcock forms the lines.
I'm sure the lines will be shuffled throughout the season, I'm sure we'll see Zetterberg and Weiss together at some point too, who knows. At this point, I just want to make sure Tatar and Nyquist are guaranteed roster positions.

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 02:08 PM
InjuredChoker

Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 22 s
Red Wings like their defense: Kronwall-Ericsson/Quincey-Smith/Kindl-DeKeyser/Lashoff 7th. All pairs can move puck. Priority was forwards.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 02:10 PM
irishock
In the sunset

vCash: 326
Does Kenny realize Smith-Q is not an NHL calibre top 4 pairing?

irishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 02:22 PM
JRB86

To address their forward issue the Wings are proud to sign Jaromir Jagr

JRB86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 02:26 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

I hope Ken Holland understands that keeping Quincey means less cap space to sign his RFAs.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 02:27 PM
DetroitRed
Crashes the Crease

I know Detroit likes to bring up goalies later rather than sooner, but Gustavsson is brutal. Surely Mrazek would be a better backup than him if not a better starter than Howard.

DetroitRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 02:33 PM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Franzen
(Shanny-Fedex-Yzerman -like, all experienced big3 on same line)

Bertuzzi - Weiss - Alfredsson
(Holmström - Larionov - Robitaille - like, Alfie as legend veteran and Bertuzzi as old screener as Holmer was younger, but Weiss as young center, when Igor was old dog)

Nyquist - Andersson - Tatar
(two kids and a kid MVP, almost like Deveraux=Andersson - Datsyuk=Nyquist - Hull=Tatar)

Abdelkader - Helm - Tootoo
(Maltby-Draper-McCarty, pretty much same things as in the old good Grind line)

Henkka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 02:40 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
I hope Ken Holland understands that keeping Quincey means less cap space to sign his RFAs.
Who in their right mind would trade for Q and his $4M salary right now?

Most of Holland's recent contracts are immovalbe

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:01 PM
Wayne Crosby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Franzen
(Shanny-Fedex-Yzerman -like, all experienced big3 on same line)

Bertuzzi - Weiss - Alfredsson
(Holmström - Larionov - Robitaille - like, Alfie as legend veteran and Bertuzzi as old screener as Holmer was younger, but Weiss as young center, when Igor was old dog)

Nyquist - Andersson - Tatar
(two kids and a kid MVP, almost like Deveraux=Andersson - Datsyuk=Nyquist - Hull=Tatar)

Abdelkader - Helm - Tootoo
(Maltby-Draper-McCarty, pretty much same things as in the old good Grind line)
interesting comparisons, only i would replace bert with abdelkader, he seems to be the guy the wings are putting into that holmstrom-esque role

Wayne Crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:17 PM
ChadS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitRed View Post
I know Detroit likes to bring up goalies later rather than sooner, but Gustavsson is brutal. Surely Mrazek would be a better backup than him if not a better starter than Howard.
Makes no sense what so ever to have Mrazek as the backup when he can play as much as he wants in Grand Rapids where he still has a lot to learn. And a better starter than Howard, you can't be serious? Why do you think they just signed him to a 6-year deal worth a lot of $$$?

ChadS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 06:29 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsNow View Post
Ok -- the bet is on --

Who produces more, Flip in Tampa or Weiss in Detroit?
Should be similar production. Weiss is in a better environment skill-wise than he has ever been before, but he is in a lesser role. Flip is in a comparable role to what he has had the past couple of seasons, with similar overall talent. Weiss is the more skilled player, ad will likely produce ~5-10 more points, depending on how much he plays with Zetterberg/Datsyuk compared with how much Filppula plays with Stamkos/St.Louis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa Puck View Post
2 of Emmerton, Eaves, Sammy and Tootoo are gone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowah View Post
I'm fine with Sammy gone, Emmerton gone if Helm is back. Tootoo as well, even though I like his game. Eaves just because we've seen his scoring touch and he's got a RH shot. If he can find that game again, Miller-Andersson(or even Helm)-Eaves is going to be a tough fourth line. Strong defensively and all of them chip in with offense occasionally.
Given the signings, Emmerton is almost certainly staying. His cap hit and the fact that Eaves (extra ~$700k) is the only player on that list who can be argued as an "upgrade" on Emmerton for what he brings means that Emmerton is the most "necessary" player. Given that the top-six is basically set (Z/Dats/Abs, Franzen/Weiss/Alfie) and the Wings have young forwards (Nyquist/Tatar) who have displayed significant ability who can also be put in that role, Samuelsson is fairly redundant (though probably LTIR) and Bertuzzi can at least bring a physical element (but also likely LTIR). It sounds like Helm is doing well and should be healthy for the start of the season, which is a negative on the surface, but upon further examination suggests Emmerton is likely to stay. Why? Abdelkader is pretty entrenched with Datsyuk, so he's no longer going to be shifted to 3C or 4C. They won't break up a second scoring line with Weiss/Franzen to have Mule as the 3C. Andersson will already be in the lineup ahead of Emmerton (or so goes the assumption). So if Helm is healthy, that means every center the Wings have is in the lineup (sans Emmerton). Projecting out the lineup with no further signings, I think it may look something like this:

Zetterberg/Datsyuk/Abdelkader
Franzen/Weiss/Alfredsson
Nyquist/Andersson/Tatar
Miller/Helm/Eaves
Emmerton
Tootoo

Bertuzzi (LTIR)
Samuelsson (LTIR)

If Emmerton is gone, it's because the Wings added another top-six winger and are playing Dats/Z separately.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 06:31 PM
DetroitRed
Crashes the Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
Makes no sense what so ever to have Mrazek as the backup when he can play as much as he wants in Grand Rapids where he still has a lot to learn. And a better starter than Howard, you can't be serious? Why do you think they just signed him to a 6-year deal worth a lot of $$$?
Mrazek is ready for the next level, he just won a president's trophy as a starter. He even did well in the few NHL games he played. The next learning curve for him is to come up to the NHL and take 20 to 30 games as a backup in order to face off against better players.

They gave Howie about what he is worth; it was an okay move. However, just because they signed him for six years doesn't mean they will keep him that long.

Basically everyone's scouting report (except yours) says Mrazek will be better than Howard. He will be the Wings' next starter and it will happen sooner than six years from now. Hopefully, in two or three years if they bring him up.

Gustavsson is absolutely horrible.

DetroitRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 06:37 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Mrazek is ready for the next level, he just won a president's trophy as a starter. He even did well in the few NHL games he played. The next learning curve for him is to come up to the NHL and take 20 to 30 games as a backup in order to face off against better players.

They gave Howie about what he is worth; it was an okay move. However, just because they signed him for six years doesn't mean they will keep him that long.

Basically everyone's scouting report (except yours) says Mrazek will be better than Howard. He will be the Wings' next starter and it will happen sooner than six years from now. Hopefully, in two or three years if they bring him up.

Mrazek needs to go for a full work load in the AHL before they ever consider doing this. Sorry he isn't that close and it would be ridiculously stupid thing to do to his development. It also is something they quite clearly aren't even considering when you hear their comments on the situation. So it is a complete non-starter no matter how much you believe in Mrazek and I have always been high on him. When I first joined I called him one of our five most important prospects right before his breakout at the WJC and was laughed at. So it isn't like I don't like him, but he should not be the backup next season, that is a very bad idea.

Quote:
I will say my opinion is if Howard goes down, they will give Mrazek some starts, that I don't have a problem with. Just him starting 20 games for a season at this point in his career is a bad deal.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 06:39 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:

Monster!!!! is horrible, no question. But I'd like to give Petr another season to dominate the AHL. When he comes up he needs to compete with Howard for the #1 spot. I am serious, that's how good he is and he needs to be developed that way. Paterson can replace him in the AHL in the 2014 season.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:33 PM
tsweeney

As much as I don't like it, I think we've seen the last of Eaves, Emmerton, and Tootoo as members of the Red Wings.

Simply no room for them because anyone who the Wings should dump they either can't (Sammy) or don't want to (Cleary, Bert).

tsweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:38 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsweeney View Post
As much as I don't like it, I think we've seen the last of Eaves, Emmerton, and Tootoo as members of the Red Wings.

Simply no room for them because anyone who the Wings should dump they either can't (Sammy) or don't want to (Cleary, Bert).
Eaves is a warrior who plays hard. Emmerton earns nothing and fits in pretty well as a 4th liner. And Toots brings the ruckus and works hard. It's a shame he won't be given a true shot to perform. Who's gonna fight on this team?

Vladdy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:43 PM
tsweeney

Which is why I'm not happy to see them leave. The Wings, by their actions, have pretty much signed tickets out of town for those three.

tsweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:48 PM
VladTheImpaler
Go Wings

That Samuelsson signing just gets more and more ugly every time I think about it.

VladTheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:53 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
Monster!!!! is horrible, no question. But I'd like to give Petr another season to dominate the AHL. When he comes up he needs to compete with Howard for the #1 spot. I am serious, that's how good he is and he needs to be developed that way. Paterson can replace him in the AHL in the 2014 season.
A real goalie tandem would be awesome. I think it's essential to keeping your starter rested for the playoff grind.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:54 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

I don't believe anyone predicted Sammy would have been injured the whole season. Saying it was a bad signing is only in hindsight in my opinion. The guy put up points and was a serviceable forward. Had he not gotten injured, nobody would have had a probelm with the signing.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:55 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

So Vanek, Kessel, Sedins, Marleau and Brown are free agents next year

Old
07-06-2013, 08:56 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:
I don't believe anyone predicted Sammy would have been injured the whole season. Saying it was a bad signing is only in hindsight in my opinion. The guy put up points and was a serviceable forward. Had he not gotten injured, nobody would have had a probelm with the signing.
Signing Sammy to 3M a couple years AFTER they refused to pay him that much is pure silliness.

Old
07-06-2013, 09:05 PM
Zetterberg4Captain

Quote:
most people said it was a bad signing at the time for both the player and the term made worse with his NTC

its not hindsight its fact

Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote