HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[EDM] Oilers sign Boyd Gordon (3 years, $3M AAV)

Old
07-06-2013, 02:59 PM
CapitalistInfidel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnifique View Post

for you man. He did get votes. It isn't up for debate.
With all due respect 53 players got votes for the Selke including Patrick Kane and that defensive dynamo Tyler Seguin

CapitalistInfidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 03:03 PM
caley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlin View Post
Now suddenly he is a "Selke-voted player"?

Please... I`m actually laughing here! I know some of u have a hard time admitting when youre favorite team does a misstake or overpayment, but this? The "no-namer" suddenly becomes "selke-caliber" when Oilers overpay?
per Puck Daddy
Quote:
Boyd Gordon, Edmonton Oilers
Gordon has been one of the most underrated defensive forwards in the NHL for the last two seasons with the Phoenix Coyotes. He’s aces on faceoffs – 57.3 percent last season. He blocks shots, kills penalties, can take and deliver a hit. He’s never going to win the Selke, because they don’t give it to guys like him, but he’s deserved to be in the conversation the last two seasons. His $9 million over three years is a little high, but it’s Edmonton, so they have to overpay. A great pickup for the Oilers and the kind of foundational grunt teams need to win.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...medium=twitter

When Horcoff was dealt, Gordon was the exact center I was hoping the Oilers would land as a replacement. I really like everything MacTavish has done so far, save for the LaBarbera signing.

07-06-2013, 03:03 PM
Karsa Orlong
Knight of chains

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalistInfidel View Post
With all due respect 53 players got votes for the Selke including Patrick Kane and that defensive dynamo Tyler Seguin
Yeah but Gordon was 12th among them, and Kane/Seguin only had 1 voter each, Gordon 12. Not bad for a 3rd line center really, worth some props.

Karsa Orlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 07:24 PM
aleshemsky83

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlin View Post
Now suddenly he is a "Selke-voted player"?

Please... I`m actually laughing here! I know some of u have a hard time admitting when youre favorite team does a misstake or overpayment, but this? The "no-namer" suddenly becomes "selke-caliber" when Oilers overpay?
He got 12 votes

aleshemsky83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:23 PM
arsmaster

That's a lot of cake for a 4t liner.

Man I wished Oilers got Clarkson too. Count your lucky stars Oilers fans, you could have been paying $9m on the cap for 55 points.

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:28 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Im sure 3 million is not hard for Oilers to swallow when faceoffs have been one of the biggest problems on club, plus fact he is a great pk player and all heart and soul type.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:46 PM
Roof Daddy

Think of him as Horcoff's replacement on the 3rd line, then consider this:

- his cap hit is nearly half of Horc's hit.

- over the last 3 yrs he is 57% on the dot. Horc is 49%

- over the last 3 yrs he is actually slightly more productive than Horcoff at even strength (.24 ppg avg vs Horc's .23).

- he is a better PKer.

- has a better giveaway/takeaway ratio over the last 3 years (27GA/60TA vs Horc's 91GA/81TA).

- Gordon is 29 and in his prime. Horcoff is 34 and in decline.

Roof Daddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 03:45 AM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha Cares View Post
Hey EDM, you're doing it wrong
lol. in all honesty. Gordon is rediculously overpaid.

But also in honesty, the Oilers have the talent locked up and have lots of room for depth signings. They also want to out-bid division rivals.

Speaking of divisions...when is HF going to realize the relevant division set-ups have changed?

oilinblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 03:48 AM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post

Man I wished Oilers got Clarkson too. Count your lucky stars Oilers fans, you could have been paying $9m on the cap for 55 points.
Yeah, i wanted Clarkson but happy we failed on that signing. I didnt like the term at all. I dont mind giving someone a 2 year jackpot... and people laughing that we overpaid. But to give a 55 pt guy THAT money and THAT term...he will never live up to it. 2 year deal for the right guy? Ill break the bank. Longterm? In my opinion the player sacrifices heavily for the extra term, not the other way around.

oilinblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 09:49 AM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Keep building that bottom six depth.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 09:50 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Ryan Smyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post

Clarkson hasn't even gotten close to 55 points. In fact he's only hit 40 points once in his career.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 05:46 PM
oobga
Tier 2 Fan

vCash: 590
It's crazy that this supposed 4th liner played the majority of his ES ice time against these players last season (in order of minutes played against them starting with the most):

Marleau, Havlat, Couture, Thornton, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins, Toews, Hossa, Saad, Selanne, Parenteau, Carter, Glencross, D. Sedin, H.Sedin, Willians, Kopitar, Jagr, Brown, Morrow, Brassard, Burrows, Penner, Duchene.

Yeah, definitely looks like his coach used him as a 4th liner against scrubs...

Last edited by oobga: 07-07-2013 at 06:14 PM.
oobga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 05:58 PM
_Del_

And he had a lot more defensive starts than offensive. His only asset is faceoffs. Tippett is a terrible coach and had him over his head... Just stop listening to the echo chamber. Did you give him anywhere from 800k to a million too much? Yes. But he's a heart and soul guy who will immediately make your pk formidable, and holds his own defensively as well as anyone in the league. Will he contribute a lot of offense? No. I hope you guys don't turn on him because of the contract, because the Oilers need guys like that to succeed.

_Del_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 06:14 PM
Moore Money

He's overpaid by 1 mil or so but he's exactly what the Oilers need. they need more players like him

Moore Money is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 06:47 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
Clarkson hasn't even gotten close to 55 points. In fact he's only hit 40 points once in his career.
Clarkson + Gordon.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 06:57 PM
Rpro

UFA season = overpaying players you need on your team. Why do SO many people not understand this concept? This is what happens year after year yet there's always people who whine when it happens.

Rpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 06:59 PM
Infinite Jest

The Oilers absolutely needed a player like Gordon. Is he overpaid? **** yeah. But so are pretty much all unrestricted free agents.

Infinite Jest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:01 PM
Infinite Jest

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Del_ View Post
And he had a lot more defensive starts than offensive. His only asset is faceoffs. Tippett is a terrible coach and had him over his head... Just stop listening to the echo chamber. Did you give him anywhere from 800k to a million too much? Yes. But he's a heart and soul guy who will immediately make your pk formidable, and holds his own defensively as well as anyone in the league. Will he contribute a lot of offense? No. I hope you guys don't turn on him because of the contract, because the Oilers need guys like that to succeed.
Say what now? That's just an absolutely ridiculous statement, indefensible.

Infinite Jest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:04 PM
Kbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpro View Post
UFA season = overpaying players you need on your team. Why do SO many people not understand this concept? This is what happens year after year yet there's always people who whine when it happens.
Because people have realized that it's a concept that hasn't worked for teams in the past. Every year we hear that the teams that did the best in free agency were the ones that did the least or bought low on players.

Kbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 08:15 PM
Gustavo Fring
Analytics R4 nerds

I saw the other day Gordon signed a three year deal, but didn't see the dollar amount. I thought Hendricks got over payed by Nashville. Holy over payment for what Boyd Gordon brings.

Wouldn't it be cheaper just to teach an $700k guy how to take faceoffs?

Gustavo Fring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 08:22 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Jest View Post
Say what now? That's just an absolutely ridiculous statement, indefensible.
If there's one knock against Tippett, it's that he puts too much faith in veterans and creates poor match ups. Outside of what clearly works, Tippett will often throw piles of **** at a wall and hope something sticks. Gordon is a 4th line center, but was pressed into 3rd line duty. He can win the faceoff and get the puck out of the zone, but he is by no means a 'shutdown' forward. Just look at him as one of the best special teams guys out there, because that's what he is. Anyone expecting him to play lock down defense on the West's best are going to be disappointed.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 08:53 PM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
He wanted the money. If he wanted to win he would signed near 2M$ with a playoff team. As said many times Edmonton has to overpay to get people to come to Edmonton

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 08:56 PM
BlueChip01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
He wanted the money. If he wanted to win he would signed near 2M$ with a playoff team. As said many times Edmonton has to overpay to get people to come to Edmonton
I think that is so overblown 95% of the time.

When and if they get into the playoffs and start winning I highly doubt they will have to overpay a lot. Guys like to go to winning teams and EDM has sucked the past 6 years.

BlueChip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 09:43 PM
janecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
- has a better giveaway/takeaway ratio over the last 3 years (27GA/60TA vs Horc's 91GA/81TA).
That is a bad stat to use. A player like Gordon has to have a very low giveaway to takeaway ratio. I'd expect Horcoff to have more giveaways than Gordon just because of trying to make plays that may or may not work. The number of giveaways is not a good stat to use for comparison unless you have narrowed it down to two players that play the exact same role. The number is often indicative of the freedom the player is given by the coach to try lower percentage plays.

janecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 10:04 PM
lakai17

Gordon can mentor the boy Anton Lander.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote