HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Devils sign Ryane Clowe (5 Years $4.85M AAV)

Old
07-05-2013, 06:28 PM
njdss4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
Don't make promises you can't keep.

But in all seriousness, I also hope it works out but that's the RISK of Free-Agency. You ALWAYS(well, almost always) have to overpay for whatever High-End Free Agent you need.
Ok, I'll TRY. I just feel like this is overpayment for someone who I don't think is high-end talent. He's a 2nd liner at best, but I think he'll wind up making almost $5M/yr while on the third line. That's too much for a third liner, imo.

Maybe if there's some sort of kick-ass grinder line of Clowe-Josefson-Zubrus then I'll start to like him more.

njdss4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:34 PM
Jossipov
Patty's Better

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevilsjds View Post
So apparently Clowe had the nickname "Clowecaine" in San Jose...
Because his nose is always bleeding and he has to go to the hospital?
Because of all the Cracks in his skull?
Because he's broke and needs a cane to walk?

At least it wasnt Clowetard

Jossipov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:36 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jossipov View Post
Because his nose is always bleeding and he has to go to the hospital?
Because of all the Cracks in his skull?
Because he's broke and needs a cane to walk?

At least it wasnt Clowetard
Wait for it.....

glenwo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:40 PM
Banana Sandwiches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
Why is a Clowe a must-have signing? It may have something to do with the possible lottery pick forfeiture which is hanging over the head of the organization like the sword of Damocles? This is a just a comedy of errors committed by the devils organization. And it never seems to be Lou's fault. Given what we know now, would it be a colossal loss if we didn't have Matteau?
Clowe is a very important signing. Power forwards like this are in high demand. Successful teams have guys like this in their top 6. Why do you think the Hawks and Bruins did so well in the playoffs last year? Guys like Bickell, Lucic, and Horton played huge roles.

I'm not worried about his health. Lou's a smart guy and I'm sure he did his due diligence before signing Clowe.

Banana Sandwiches is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:47 PM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Sandwiches View Post
Clowe is a very important signing. Power forwards like this are in high demand. Successful teams have guys like this in their top 6. Why do you think the Hawks and Bruins did so well in the playoffs last year? Guys like Bickell, Lucic, and Horton played huge roles.

I'm not worried about his health. Lou's a smart guy and I'm sure he did his due diligence before signing Clowe.
The problem though is that you want those guys on your team BEFORE they turn 30. Barring some freakish outlier season thanks to our resident wizard Elias, we've likely already seen the best that Clowe has to offer. In free agency, you end up paying a good chunk for a player's past success, and Clowe is no different. We can only hope he's still got a couple productive years in him before his numbers really fall off.

Hockey Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:50 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
Still hope for Grabovski (would be HUGE imo) and/or Brunner...
Clearly he's been working on a trade, likely involving a defenseman, and that it's uncertain status is delaying things.

AfroThunder396 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:51 PM
OmNomNom

So uh... i tried to make a quite photoshop of "you underestimate my power" for lou because, of course, i feel like a lot of people really don't trust his moves. it's uh... pretty bad. hahahaha but i hope this would make someone's night. figured it was worth posting for the lolz

On a serious note, I think we have a lot of depth now. the clowe deal isn't the best, considering how much its worth and how long it is, but looking at his career high in 2010-2011, he had 62 points playing left wing with pavelski and couture. Call me speculative and crazy but if we were to stick clowe on a line with elias and ryder, we could be looking at a solid 40 point producer, perhaps even more. granted, we still have yet to sign henrique and josefson, but honestly, yayo doesn't really need that much money nor do i think he's going to command a lot. we're in better shape than we were a year ago IMO, and we made it to the finals back then with what we had. i love lou so much

Last edited by OmNomNom: 07-05-2013 at 07:03 PM.
OmNomNom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:06 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmNomNom View Post
So uh... i tried to make a quite photoshop of "you underestimate my power" for lou because, of course, i feel like a lot of people really don't trust his moves. it's uh... pretty bad. hahahaha but i hope this would make someone's night. figured it was worth posting for the lolz

You'd be better off taking a pic of Old Obi-wan Kenobi doing his jedi-mind trick, and photo-shopping Lou's head on him.

Old
07-05-2013, 07:09 PM
OmNomNom

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
You'd be better off taking a pic of Old Obi-wan Kenobi doing his jedi-mind trick, and photo-shopping Lou's head on him.
or leave photoshop to the pros. never again

OmNomNom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:27 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmNomNom View Post
or leave photoshop to the pros. never again

An 'A' for effort, though. I don't think anyone can really match RG's mastery of the photoshop, though.

Old
07-05-2013, 07:27 PM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
Clearly he's been working on a trade, likely involving a defenseman, and that it's uncertain status is delaying things.
Well yeah, and I imagine he's trying to swing a trade for more room to add someone. I could see Lou giving up Josefson with some of our D prospects or picks for something (or nothing) and using the space to sign another center or winger. Lord knows we could use all the proven talent we can find right now, and Morrow (eh...), Raymond (maybe...), Brunner (maaaaybe...), and Grabovski () are all still available. Plus there's still guys like Roy, Jagr, Penner, Latendresse, Mueller, Boyes, even Tim Connolly would be a help.

On that quick side note, what the **** is wrong with the Leafs stashing Connolly in the AHL? I'm tired of rich teams ruining serviceable players by wasting their time in minor leagues. It's not Redden's or Connolly's fault that some teams are still so inept to expect prime seasons out of aging players.

Last edited by Hockey Sports Fan: 07-05-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Hockey Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:34 PM
Vilgraining

There are two good things about this deal. He could have overpaid him by 4 million, and he seemed to only overpay him by about 3. So that's good.

Also, no one will now complain about Zubrus getting over 3, because that's a straight steal compared to this deal.

THis makes the Brian Rolston deal look great.

Lou made an unbelievable move in getting Schneider, than had to do a complete 180 by giving a 3rd liner nearly 5 mil a year, and for way to long. This is gross.

Vilgraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:36 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilgraining View Post
There are two good things about this deal. He could have overpaid him by 4 million, and he seemed to only overpay him by about 3. So that's good.

Also, no one will now complain about Zubrus getting over 3, because that's a straight steal compared to this deal.

THis makes the Brian Rolston deal look great.

Lou made an unbelievable move in getting Schneider, than had to do a complete 180 by giving a 3rd liner nearly 5 mil a year, and for way to long. This is gross.
Lou did not overpay by 3 million. He overpaid by 800k. Seriously this board never ceases to amaze me.

Devils Trap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:37 PM
ghoti
Grind Time

If they give him an extra $200K will he get rid of that annoying extraneous "e"?

ghoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:45 PM
Vilgraining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
Lou did not overpay by 3 million. He overpaid by 800k. Seriously this board never ceases to amaze me.
Wait, you think Clowe is worth 4 mil a year for 5 years? 2 concussions in the last 2 months he was playing and a career worst year. Even if you think last year was a fluke, you think a player who has had just 2 20 goal seasons is worth 4 mil a year at the age of 30?

Old
07-05-2013, 07:46 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilgraining View Post
Wait, you think Clowe is worth 4 mil a year for 5 years? 2 concussions in the last 2 months he was playing and a career worst year. Even if you think last year was a fluke, you think a player who has had just 2 20 goal seasons is worth 4 mil a year at the age of 30?
Yes I do. He has 100 more points then Clarkson in 20 more games and is better defensively. He had medical reports and they came back that he was 100% fine

Devils Trap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:47 PM
sbresistor

I don't like the signing, but am ready to be proven wrong

maybe it's because of the name

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HffbME_B7JQ

sbresistor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:51 PM
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
I love when this board starts assigning number values to players and then proceed to pout when the cap hit exceeds that. The team got better today, stop crying about money being spent that isn't even yours.

BrodeursCups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:52 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Yes I do. He has 100 more points then Clarkson in 20 more games and is better defensively. He had medical reports and they came back that he was 100% fine
I really wish some people would stop harping on the "injury" issues.

I forget who it was but one of the posters here provided a link detailing a report that Clowe recently had tests done and was found to be 100% healthy....

Old
07-05-2013, 07:54 PM
HeliDevil
Legendary

I don't think anybody likes the length or the amount given per year. But it's what we had to do replace Clarkson. Clowe is better all-around anyway.

Also, Clowe had a bad year, yes, but he had 19 points in 40 games. Clarkson had 24 points in 48 games. Pretty much identical paces, and that's Clowe at his worst. He'll be much better once he is fully recovered from the concussion issue. Hell he's already been cleared.

Clowe had a career 11.2% shooting percentage. He had a 3.8% this year. Clarkson shot at an 8.3% and has a career percentage at 9.4%.

No way he'll continue at such a pace.

HeliDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:55 PM
Vilgraining

Quote:
This isn't about Clarkson. I didn't want Clarkson back for 3 mil to be honest with you. Forwards after the age of 30 do not get better (don't post the rare exceptions), especially grinding type players like Clowe and Clarkson. Clowe gets dinged up a lot already, which is evident by him playing 1 full season in the NHL. If this deal was for maybe 3 years, fine. See if his 3 year peak 3-6 seasons ago wasn't a peak and maybe he's got another 50 point season in him. But for 5 mil a year, you are talking about a guy who should be playing on your top 2 lines. A guy who put up 45 points two seasons ago and 19 points in 40 games this year is not a top 6 forward. Then you throw in the concussions and it makes less sense.

Old
07-05-2013, 08:00 PM
TaiMaiShu
back to square one

What is the extent of his injury history? There is no possible way he's had 3 separate concussions in that short amount of time.

TaiMaiShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 08:00 PM
Benedict Parisechuk
Army of Pandolfo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeursCups View Post
I love when this board starts assigning number values to players and then proceed to pout when the cap hit exceeds that. The team got better today, stop crying about money being spent that isn't even yours.
Yup this thread has turned into a giant mess. Just unbelievable. This is why we can't have nice things.

Benedict Parisechuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 08:09 PM
sbresistor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoDevilsfan26 View Post
Yup this thread has turned into a giant mess. Just unbelievable. This is why we can't have nice things.
your avatar pic brings back that awesome memory. still remembering toasting that victory at dino BBQ

sucks Devils couldn't beat LA

sbresistor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 08:11 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbresistor View Post
your avatar pic brings back that awesome memory. still remembering toasting that victory at dino BBQ

sucks Fayne couldn't score on a wide open net.

Fixed because it's true.

*sigh*....I know I shouldn't dwell but dammit! We should already have our 4th cup right now.