George Sørensen

Old
04-09-2013, 06:25 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

vCash: 500
George Sørensen

George Sørensen

So, this guy intrigues me. They call him the Ninja, and for good reason. He has great stats and even had a couple games in the Danish elite league and posted great stats there too.

Atm. he is doing awesome at the A1 U18 Worlds and even coined it all with a very rare goalie goal:

So my question is, will we see our second Danish goalie drafted? If so, when and where do you see him go?

I don't think NA knows enough of him to get drafted in 2013. Som maybe in 2014 as a slight overager?

What do you guys think?

Last edited by ImGoingNucks: 04-09-2013 at 08:39 AM.
ImGoingNucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 08:50 AM
Valdemar
Danish junior hockey

To the above we can add, that he played great last year at the 2012 U18 IHWC (top division). He was only a U17 player but ended up in the goalkeeper top5 with a SVS% of 90.67, despite Team Denmark became 10th and last in the championship.

His ”problem” at the moment is that he doesn’t play enough important games. As a back-up goalkeeper in the best Danish league he sees very little ice-time. Normally I am reluctant with recommending a young Danish player to go the OHL way, but maybe it would be his best choice next year to try to play junior hockey in NA (or in e.g. Sweden) instead of sitting on the bench watching hockey.

I doubt he will be drafted this year. He need to show that he can play a full year in a good league, being the starting goalkeeper.

Valdemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:47 PM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdemar View Post
To the above we can add, that he played great last year at the 2012 U18 IHWC (top division). He was only a U17 player but ended up in the goalkeeper top5 with a SVS% of 90.67, despite Team Denmark became 10th and last in the championship.

His ”problem” at the moment is that he doesn’t play enough important games. As a back-up goalkeeper in the best Danish league he sees very little ice-time. Normally I am reluctant with recommending a young Danish player to go the OHL way, but maybe it would be his best choice next year to try to play junior hockey in NA (or in e.g. Sweden) instead of sitting on the bench watching hockey.

I doubt he will be drafted this year. He need to show that he can play a full year in a good league, being the starting goalkeeper.
Indeed, forgot to mention that part

That is true, and I too do not believe he will be drafted this year. But what can he do to get some exposure towards 2014?

I was also thinking CHL, but do we know if he is on any CHL watchlist towards the CHL import draft?

As for Sweden, they might have the biggest chance of knowing who he is and what he stands for, so my biggest bet is he goes to Sweden for some Jr. Elite time.

Do you know if he has Asian or maybe Greenlandic descent?

Old
04-09-2013, 02:13 PM
Valdemar
Danish junior hockey

Congratulation with post no. 1000

I know it has been difficult in the past for Danish goalkeeper talents to go to Sweden (e.g. tried the very talented Mathias Horan without luck), but last year Marc Schlaeger went to Malmö, so maybe they are opening up a little. On the other hand it would probably be just as difficult to get to play junior hockey in NA. I don't know if he has been playing in the lower Danish leagues like 1. division or U20 this year, but he should try to get more ice-time even if it has to be in a weaker league.

Lets hope he has a good championship and help Denmark promote, that should give him a little exposure at least.

No, I don't know about his family relations, but he could have some Asian genes it seems.

Old
04-12-2013, 10:22 PM
andersej

If eliteprospects is correct in stating that he is 5'10'' = 178 cm, then he's facing some really tough odds to get drafted. With the recent trends in the NHL in mind, he could be the second coming of Dominik Hasek and he still wouldn't get drafted if he's below at least 6'2''. The ideal for an NHL goalie these days seems to be around 6'6''. A bit sad and quite boring IMHO, but that's the way things are going...

Here's hoping that he has a great game vs Norway - and that he has a growth spurt over the summer...

andersej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 05:58 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdemar View Post
Congratulation with post no. 1000

I know it has been difficult in the past for Danish goalkeeper talents to go to Sweden (e.g. tried the very talented Mathias Horan without luck), but last year Marc Schlaeger went to Malmö, so maybe they are opening up a little. On the other hand it would probably be just as difficult to get to play junior hockey in NA. I don't know if he has been playing in the lower Danish leagues like 1. division or U20 this year, but he should try to get more ice-time even if it has to be in a weaker league.

Lets hope he has a good championship and help Denmark promote, that should give him a little exposure at least.

No, I don't know about his family relations, but he could have some Asian genes it seems.
Why thank you very much.. Had not even noticed

Well he really needs to go to Sweden or NA or at least play some more.. 3 games in the danish top tier is not good enough. But maybe Sweden have thawed a bit up after Freddie Andersen.

I remember Horan, but didn't he end up playing in France or something? It really halted his development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersej View Post
If eliteprospects is correct in stating that he is 5'10'' = 178 cm, then he's facing some really tough odds to get drafted. With the recent trends in the NHL in mind, he could be the second coming of Dominik Hasek and he still wouldn't get drafted if he's below at least 6'2''. The ideal for an NHL goalie these days seems to be around 6'6''. A bit sad and quite boring IMHO, but that's the way things are going...

Here's hoping that he has a great game vs Norway - and that he has a growth spurt over the summer...
I too noticed his small stature, and I do not think he will grow to much, it also looks like he has Asian genes in him. which could be a contributing factor. I remember a Japanese goalie got his NHL debut for LA kings, and did good, but was also too small.

Well I have high hopes for Andersen in the NHL, so Maybe Georg ends up in KHL or SEL? I really think he is very agile and all over the place. His Nick-name Ninja is quite fitting

Old
04-13-2013, 06:00 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersej View Post

It`s a rule of thumb in NHL these days if you are below 6`0 you are conisdered a "midget" no matter if you are Defensmen,Goalie or a forward.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 01:15 PM
Justinov

After Lubos Pisar quite disastrous start first game for Herning, George Sørensen has been playing the next three.
GAA: 0,67 and Saves: 96,7%
In the danish cup he has played 2 games with GAA: 0,50 and Saves: 96,9%.
Quite impressive start and good to see a new danish goalie prospect doing well.

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 03:00 PM
nabby12

Does Sorensen have a chance to play in North America? Or is size going to be an issue? He put up incredible numbers in the Danish League for his age.

nabby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 04:54 PM
Bagge

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabby12 View Post
Does Sorensen have a chance to play in North America? Or is size going to be an issue? He put up incredible numbers in the Danish League for his age.
The size is going to be an issue. Skillwise he is second to none in Denmark, ie he could be as good as Freddy Andersen under the right circumstances. I heard somewhere that he is playing in Germany or Sweden next season but could mistake him for another Danish goalie prospect Thomas Lillie. Quite sure you'll see both at the Wjc 20 in Montreal and Toronto.

Bagge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2014, 01:12 PM
andersej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagge View Post
The size is going to be an issue. Skillwise he is second to none in Denmark, ie he could be as good as Freddy Andersen under the right circumstances. I heard somewhere that he is playing in Germany or Sweden next season but could mistake him for another Danish goalie prospect Thomas Lillie. Quite sure you'll see both at the Wjc 20 in Montreal and Toronto.
Lillie is the one going to Sweden to play with Växjö U20 next season. Sørensen extended for one year with Herning:

http://bluefox.dk/index.php/slider/i...s-hos-blue-fox

andersej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2014, 02:43 PM
Elimanator
lets do this again

vCash: 300
Was this guy drafted yet. Saw his numbers at Herning. They were great last year. I don't know about this year. I'm also seeing him play now and he is putting Denmark in this game.

Elimanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2014, 04:30 AM
Bagge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elimanator View Post
Was this guy drafted yet. Saw his numbers at Herning. They were great last year. I don't know about this year. I'm also seeing him play now and he is putting Denmark in this game.
No, he hasnt been drafted, nor do I think he will be. His height is only 5 foot 10 inches which is considered to be too small in NHL now a days.

Bagge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2014, 10:14 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

His one on one skills are not suited for the NHL either imo.

Great goalie, but will have to remain in Europe.. Will not get drafted.

Old
01-01-2015, 01:59 PM
Remi

Is he really too small for NHL?

Halak and Enroth are same height as him. I know that goalies are bigger than they used to be, but a lot of the old keepers were small like Vernon, Osgood and Hasek.

Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2015, 04:27 PM
admire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remi View Post
Is he really too small for NHL?

Halak and Enroth are same height as him. I know that goalies are bigger than they used to be, but a lot of the old keepers were small like Vernon, Osgood and Hasek.

Vernon is the only one who is the same height as sørensen of those you mentioned. He is 5'9 no matter what anyone says. he is too small for todays NHL. Pretty sure about that.

Last edited by admire: 01-01-2015 at 04:54 PM.
admire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2015, 05:06 PM
Remi

Hmmm. So he is 2 cm smaller than Enroth? They both way the same (165 lbs).

Never say never.

Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2015, 12:05 PM
admire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remi View Post
Hmmm. So he is 2 cm smaller than Enroth? They both way the same (165 lbs).

Never say never.
there is a chance he might get into a camp and I really hope that for him but I think his size would be exposed. The NHL is a extremely unforgiving place and there are always more good goalies than team who need them. I just don't think anybody is going g to chance it and draft him. But maybe late round. He deserves it

Old
01-02-2015, 08:19 PM
pucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGoingNucks View Post
Indeed, forgot to mention that part

That is true, and I too do not believe he will be drafted this year. But what can he do to get some exposure towards 2014?

I was also thinking CHL, but do we know if he is on any CHL watchlist towards the CHL import draft?

As for Sweden, they might have the biggest chance of knowing who he is and what he stands for, so my biggest bet is he goes to Sweden for some Jr. Elite time.

Do you know if he has Asian or maybe Greenlandic descent?
Asian, probably.

pucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2015, 10:47 AM
Urbanskog
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucky View Post
Asian, probably.
Half-Thai.

Urbanskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2015, 01:01 PM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanskog View Post
Half-Thai.
Funny how things go full circle

I posted that in one of the game threads a while back, also in the Danish world Jr. thread

Old
01-21-2015, 07:04 PM
admire

George Sørensen is ranked number 10 among international goalies on the NHL Central Scouting's 2015 midterm rankings

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=749385

Old
01-23-2015, 12:01 PM
Justinov

Hopefully he will soon find a club, so he is not wasting his time on the Herning bench.

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2015, 04:17 AM
admire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
Hopefully he will soon find a club, so he is not wasting his time on the Herning bench.
Yeah..wonder if he might get a camp invite..If he wants to take that route

Old
01-24-2015, 05:23 AM
Valdemar
Danish junior hockey

He was on ice in the game yesterday and had 35 saves on 38 shots (92,1 SVS%), in a 5-3 win against Aalborg.