HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fergy leaving no stone unturned to find talent.

Closed Thread

Old
06-10-2005, 05:53 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Fergy leaving no stone unturned to find talent.

Leafs look to add muscle in a league moving towards skill !!!!

Quote:

Cornish Handed Maple Leafs Call-Up
By Stuart Walker, PA Sport

London Racers tough guy Jeremy Cornish has received a dream call-up by National Hockey League outfit Toronto Maple Leafs.

The 25-year-old Canadian has been invited by Maple Leafs general manager John Ferguson to attend a try-out camp later in the summer.

Cornish, who married fiancée Deanna last Saturday, has rattled up nearly 1,000 penalty minutes in just five seasons of professional hockey and quickly made a name for himself in his debut year in Britain for London.

It is a-once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for Cornish and Racers player-coach Dennis Maxwell said: “I’m ecstatic for him. This is just great. Corny is a great guy to have on any team and we wish him all the best. Our fingers are very tightly crossed.”
Cornish has already pledged his future to the Racers for the 2005/06 Elite League campaign but Maxwell admitted he would not stand in the player’s way should he get a contract offer by the Leafs to ice for one of their farm teams in the minor leagues.

Maxwell added: “We want nothing more than to have Cornish back. But for now we’ll just have to wait and see. Right now I’m just really proud of his accomplishments as well as that of our organisation and the EIHL.”

Full Story : http://sport.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=4667555

Old
06-10-2005, 05:54 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Er....yay?

Old
06-10-2005, 05:58 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
Er....yay?
http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid%5B%5D=53914

I think this might be a move to get Leaf fans to think Belak is not such a bad thing after all ..

Old
06-10-2005, 06:11 PM
Verbal Kint*

Well Mess, you hit it the nail right on the ehad with that last comment. I'm not a fan of this move.

Old
06-10-2005, 09:28 PM
Rand

I don't know much about the guy, beyond the fact that hes oddly poular in some circles but JFJ must see something awfully appealing or else he's gone insane because I have a difficult time envisioning him even being a successful AHL'er let alone taking Belak's spot as an NHL enforcer.

Old
06-10-2005, 09:31 PM
tml_4ever
It's Chaotic

Hello Belak Jr

Old
06-10-2005, 10:17 PM
Leaf Army

While it's a neat story it really is not a big deal. All that's happened is that he's been invited to a summer tryout camp. This British writer, obviously not familiar with the NHL, has overstated the situation by implying that he was "called up".

This guy would be hard pressed to stay in the ECHL on a regular basis. He has no chance of playing for the Leafs. At best they might have him in mind for a shot in Pensacola.

I'm sure the Leafs are familiar with him since he played with JF Racine in Memphis in 03-04.

Last edited by Leaf Army: 06-10-2005 at 10:24 PM.
Old
06-10-2005, 10:30 PM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
This sounds bad IMO.

Belak has been Belak at the NHL level but was an all-star in the Brittish league.

this guy is a Belak in every level he's played in.

NO MORE BELAKS!

We're only allowed to have one.

Old
06-10-2005, 11:24 PM
Epoch

He seems to have good team spirit.

Old
06-11-2005, 04:08 PM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
He can hang out with the making the cut guy at camp.

Old
06-11-2005, 04:53 PM
Mat

Send a message via AIM to Mat Send a message via MSN to Mat
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJTOM
This sounds bad IMO.

Belak has been Belak at the NHL level but was an all-star in the Brittish league.

this guy is a Belak in every level he's played in.

NO MORE BELAKS!

We're only allowed to have one.
technically we had two belaks last year, with domi & belak
then again, domi is at least capable of double digit points

Old
06-11-2005, 04:54 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Can this guy even chip in the odd goal, useless otherwise, Domi could atleast do that.

Old
06-11-2005, 04:56 PM
Mat

Send a message via AIM to Mat Send a message via MSN to Mat
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiedaeagle20
Can this guy even chip in the odd goal, useless otherwise, Domi could atleast do that.
domi has a 10.4% chance of scoring a goal whereas this guy has about half that....at a minor league level

Old
06-11-2005, 05:09 PM
Leaf Army

Once again, this guy has been invited to a summer camp. That's it.

The chances of him being at training camp are slim and the chance of him ever playing for the Leafs is none.

Old
06-11-2005, 06:00 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
Once again, this guy has been invited to a summer camp. That's it.

The chances of him being at training camp are slim and the chance of him ever playing for the Leafs is none.
I'm going to pencil him in on the 3rd line

Jeremy Cornish ..... Kyle Wellwood ...... Wade Belak

Who says Wellwood is too soft .. I'm not seeing it !!!!

You're not letting anyone have any fun during the lockout ..

Old
06-12-2005, 09:44 AM
Augustus
HFBoards Sponsor

Can Fergy put clod Belak back under the rock where he first found him?

Old
06-12-2005, 10:16 AM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recidivist
Can Fergy put clod Belak back under the rock where he first found him?
Not sure I get this anti-Belak stuff. Why waste so much negativity on the guy who performs adequately as one of the spare parts on the roster. Someone has to occupy that position of not playing every day, and Belak has some unique qualities in terms of his size and versatility that make him quite useful as a spare.

Naturally he's not a great player. That's why he doesn't play every day. You want we should go out and get Bertuzzi to be our spare part?????

Old
06-12-2005, 11:11 AM
Augustus
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlap
Not sure I get this anti-Belak stuff. Why waste so much negativity on the guy who performs adequately as one of the spare parts on the roster. Someone has to occupy that position of not playing every day, and Belak has some unique qualities in terms of his size and versatility that make him quite useful as a spare.

Naturally he's not a great player. That's why he doesn't play every day. You want we should go out and get Bertuzzi to be our spare part?????

You're right - clod Belak plays best when he doesn't play. You're also quite correct that he has "unique qualities" in his skill set of skating, puckhandling, passing, shooting, defending.

I am not anti-Belak, I am anti-Belak as a Leaf hockey player taking up a roster spot that could be filled by someone who can do a few positive things with the puck.

In Bertuzzi you have named a player that, despite his hockey skills, I prefer Belak over in my beloved blue and white.

Old
06-12-2005, 11:27 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recidivist
You're right - clod Belak plays best when he doesn't play. You're also quite correct that he has "unique qualities" in his skill set of skating, puckhandling, passing, shooting, defending.

I am not anti-Belak, I am anti-Belak as a Leaf hockey player taking up a roster spot that could be filled by someone who can do a few positive things with the puck.

In Bertuzzi you have named a player that, despite his hockey skills, I prefer Belak over in my beloved blue and white.
You had me until that last line ..

Prefer .. Belak ... blue and white .. those shouldn't go together every IMO.

I would have stated that line as.. "Bertuzzi disgusts me for his actions and I rather endure the pain staking, lack of contribution, from that no skilled clod Belak ,if I was forced at gun point to chose just one for my beloved blue and white."

Then I would be in 100% agreement, but I still would give considerable thought to the option of the guy holding the gun to pull the trigger instead.

Old
06-12-2005, 11:57 AM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Belak is the only guy I've ever seen who plays both forward and defence...and sucks at both. He's as versatile as he is crappy.

Old
06-12-2005, 02:37 PM
timlap

I guess I just disagree. I think Belak does a reasonably good job as a forward or a defender. On occassion he has been a major force in a game. He gives the coach the option going big when its called for.

You guys obviously don't like him. That's fine. But I'm betting that he will stick around in the league for a number of years, whether with the Leafs or not.

Old
06-12-2005, 02:40 PM
timlap

Let me put it this way. I won't miss Belak if he leaves, but if and when he does, he will just be replaced by another marginal player who will get the same criticism. Or worse, they will sit a good player, or a young player who ought to be playing regularly,

Old
06-12-2005, 02:48 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Let me put it this way. I won't miss Belak if he leaves, but if and when he does, he will just be replaced by another marginal player who will get the same criticism. Or worse, they will sit a good player, or a young player who ought to be playing regularly,
Aren't they trying to fix the game, change the rules and make it better for the skilled players as part of the new NHL when it returns ?.

At least Domi can play okay skate, and I think that is going to be the new NHL.. If neither team had a Belak on its bench then the league would not need them any longer ..

Old
06-12-2005, 06:10 PM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Aren't they trying to fix the game, change the rules and make it better for the skilled players as part of the new NHL when it returns ?.
. . .
Maybe. I have been hearing this for a long time, so I'll wait and see. If anything, their efforts thus far indicate that the game resists being artificially altered.

If hockey becomes more open and higher scoring, I'll be pleased. But I bet Belak will still find a home in the NHL.

My main point, though its obvious I'm alone for the moment, is that Belak doesn't deserve the hate anymore than any other borderline NHLer, and he has some qualities that set him above many of them.

Old
06-12-2005, 06:28 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Maybe. I have been hearing this for a long time, so I'll wait and see. If anything, their efforts thus far indicate that the game resists being artificially altered.

If hockey becomes more open and higher scoring, I'll be pleased. But I bet Belak will still find a home in the NHL.

My main point, though its obvious I'm alone for the moment, is that Belak doesn't deserve the hate anymore than any other borderline NHLer, and he has some qualities that set him above many of them.
IMO .. He is a fighter plain and simple .. If you have a lineup full of sandpaper Roberts, Tucker, Nolan and Domi, Marchment etc .. Whatelse does he do ?? .. He can barely skate, he takes stupid penalties the cost the leafs PK and GA and losses .. For what he contributes why not let Perrott take his spot .. He is a excellent skater and energy guy and showed in the AHL anyways the he can be a regular and contribute as his 15 goals can attest .. Belak will be hard pressed to get 15 his whole career .. He doesn't kill PK he doesn't play the PP and a large part of the game is played in those area's the PK directly attributed to Belak.

I would rather have Welly on the bench used when the team is down a goal or on the PP .. Belak is just dead weight plain and simple to me ..

Every one is entitled to their opinion .. However if the new NHL forces the Leafs to lose Mogilny, Leetch, Roberts, Newy and maybe Nolan is cost cutting measures and Belak is retained well then you can understand why I don't support Bettman's vision of the new NHL is a better place ..

I may have more fun following the kids on the farm and the Marlies if that is the case ..

Last edited by Mess: 06-12-2005 at 07:22 PM.
Closed Thread