HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jared Spurgeon (Re-signed for 3 years at $2.66m AAV)

Old
07-05-2013, 02:30 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

vCash: 500
Just realized Marc-Andre Bergeron had 35 points once.

But yeah. Brutal deal. About 750K-1 million too much. Paying too much for potential and not enough of what have you done thus far?

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 02:45 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

This is a player that has positives and negatives. I would have liked the deal if it was 2M for 3 years. Whatever, hopefully someone sends this unphysical twerp to do some serious upper body work. This new division we're in is going to require it.

I really like the kid's hockey IQ, but you have to clear the crease in the NHL and he has shown so far that he is incapable of doing so on a regular basis.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 02:46 PM
NugarifiK

vCash: 21200
After just seeing that Nystrom got 4yrs @ 2.5/yr makes this contract look outstanding.

NugarifiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 02:49 PM
LemaireisGOD

Blech...

Another finesse defenseman locked up. I don't really like this deal. Too much for a guy who leaves you wanting more offense and can't give you more physical defense than what he presently gives you.

LemaireisGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 02:51 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Be real here. For all intents and purposes, they're making the same money. You're picking at straws with 40k.

Plus Spurgeon got an extra year. For a guy with potential like Leddy that's not good for the player, but with a guy topped out like Spurgy it is.
I've been told, by you, that "every little bit counts"

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:01 PM
saywut

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Be real here. For all intents and purposes, they're making the same money. You're picking at straws with 40k.

Plus Spurgeon got an extra year. For a guy with potential like Leddy that's not good for the player, but with a guy topped out like Spurgy it is.
While Leddy may have more upside than Spurgeon, his role on the Hawks isn't the role Spurgeon has here. Whether those would change in opposite scenarios is up for debate, but until proven otherwise Jared Spurgeon is our 3rd best d-man. He's getting paid like a 4/5 tweener. And if the cap starts jumping, that'll be #6 money soon. So I view the 3rd year as a bonus, if he continued to be in our top-4 that 3rd year would be ~4M but its 2.66.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEALLKNOWING View Post
The way I figure it, he got $2MM for his play, and about $0.67MM because he is so smart! If I were GM, I would have given him $2MM for his play, and subtracted $0.67MM for his size and lack of defensive prowess. For as good a price tag the Ballard signing was, this was horrible. Seems like Chucky may be trying to break the bank to lose his job. That is a lot of money for someone who will end up being a third pairing defensemen.
Who's going to push him out of the top-4? The guy who spent most of last year in Houston or the guy who just got bought out? We'd need both of them to pass him on the depth chart, and I doubt either will. Not even alot of money for a 3rd pairing d-man, Chicago's got 5 d-men making more, we've got 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala View Post
Just realized Marc-Andre Bergeron had 35 points once.

But yeah. Brutal deal. About 750K-1 million too much. Paying too much for potential and not enough of what have you done thus far?
I guess being our #1 in 11-12 and being our #3 last year isn't enough to justify getting #4/5 money. I don't care about point production, I just look at the trust this staff has shown in Jared the past couple seasons. He's a top-4 d-man for us until proven otherwise and this contract isn't even bad if he's on the 3rd pairing.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:01 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Congrats to my bud Spurg on his 3 year ext,soak up the sun now, we have a lot of work to do next year #muchdeserved
http://twitter.com/ZenonKonopka/stat...41974318440449

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:11 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
I guess being our #1 in 11-12 and being our #3 last year isn't enough to justify getting #4/5 money. I don't care about point production, I just look at the trust this staff has shown in Jared the past couple seasons. He's a top-4 d-man for us until proven otherwise and this contract isn't even bad if he's on the 3rd pairing.
And Kuba was our #1 defenseman for years. Also Gilbert was our number 1 defenseman for stretches at a time. His durability has me a bit concerned (he has a few injuries the past few seasons).

The contract is bad when you are pushing up against the cap. Spurgeon hasn't shown enough to warrant a big contract yet. I mean if that's the case, should we give Brodin 6 million? Zucker 4-5 million? Spurgeon was a cost-controlled player. He wasn't going to hit free agency if we didn't sign him back immediately. So why didn't Fletcher push for a discount and tell Spurgeon to prove it? Show that you can be a healthy top 4 defenseman these next two years and then we'll talk about a very large extension.

Old
07-05-2013, 03:19 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
And Kuba was our #1 defenseman for years. Also Gilbert was our number 1 defenseman for stretches at a time. His durability has me a bit concerned (he has a few injuries the past few seasons).

The contract is bad when you are pushing up against the cap. Spurgeon hasn't shown enough to warrant a big contract yet. I mean if that's the case, should we give Brodin 6 million? Zucker 4-5 million? Spurgeon was a cost-controlled player. He wasn't going to hit free agency if we didn't sign him back immediately. So why didn't Fletcher push for a discount and tell Spurgeon to prove it? Show that you can be a healthy top 4 defenseman these next two years and then we'll talk about a very large extension.
Only when there are better options worth pursuing, which I don't think there really were. When did 3 years @ < $3m per constitute a "big" contract?

Old
07-05-2013, 03:22 PM
THEALLKNOWING*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
That blanket provides way more protection for his fragile skin than the protection he can provide our goalies. That's the type of picture opponents will put up next year in their lockerooms for motivation when they play the Wild! Wimpy.

THEALLKNOWING* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:23 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
in the same sense that a third round pick is "high", i imagine. for lack of anything else going on it's a bigger deal than it would have been.

it isn't ideal, but as most people have said it's in line with the market. Leddy got a little extra for potential, Spurge got a little extra for consistency/continuity and lack of viable FA options.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:24 PM
Lapa
Global Moderator
Road Ice Advantage

vCash: 1068
Meh. Not exactly what I was hoping for, but could be worse.

Lapa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:25 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
That blanket provides way more protection for his fragile skin than the protection he can provide our goalies. That's the type of picture opponents will put up next year in their lockerooms for motivation when they play the Wild! Wimpy.
spurge isn't fragile...he's a little beefcakey, actually. Just that you can't expect a guy at a great weight disadvantage to stay on his feet if they get ran over by Backes or Landeskog.

Old
07-05-2013, 03:25 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Big congrats to Spurgy on his new 3 year deal. Great to see all his hard work paying off #mnwild
http://twitter.com/TCuma61/status/353247848592195584

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:28 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Only when there are better options worth pursuing, which I don't think there really were. When did 3 years @ < $3m per constitute a "big" contract?
When it's their 2nd contract. If Spurgeon was an UFA, it would be a good deal. Since he's not, it's a big contract.

What's his third going to be? 4-5 million? 5-6 million?

Old
07-05-2013, 03:30 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
in the same sense that a third round pick is "high", i imagine.
And in the same sense that Clutterbuck and Hackett were terrible picks and we should have traded away all of our picks outside the first 2 rounds right? I mean if they aren't 2nd round picks, they are a waste of a pick because they don't have any value or a good player doesn't drop down to the 3rd round. It's like you can't think of anything outside the company line.

Quote:
it isn't ideal, but as most people have said it's in line with the market. Leddy got a little extra for potential, Spurge got a little extra for consistency/continuity and lack of viable FA options.
Yep. If Chicago overpays, Minnesota does too! PK Subban for all it's worth is getting 200K more than Spurgeon. So is Spurgeon just as good as Subban?

Old
07-05-2013, 03:31 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
When it's their 2nd contract. If Spurgeon was an UFA, it would be a good deal. Since he's not, it's a big contract.

What's his third going to be? 4-5 million? 5-6 million?
If he earns it, sure. Committing $4-$6 million somewhat based on potential is not the same as committing < $3m somewhat based on potential. You'd swear he just signed a $4m+ contract based on the reaction around here.

Old
07-05-2013, 03:34 PM
THEALLKNOWING*

Quote:
spurge isn't fragile...he's a little beefcakey, actually. Just that you can't expect a guy at a great weight disadvantage to stay on his feet if they get ran over by Backes or Landeskog.
In front of the net? Along the boards? Or both?

THEALLKNOWING* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:35 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Yep. If Chicago overpays, Minnesota does too! PK Subban for all it's worth is getting 200K more than Spurgeon. So is Spurgeon just as good as Subban?
Precisely. Because that's how all of this works.

Old
07-05-2013, 03:35 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
If he earns it, sure. Committing $4-$6 million somewhat based on potential is not the same as committing < $3m somewhat based on potential. You'd swear he just signed a $4m+ contract based on the reaction around here.
It's because he's a RFA, meaning he's cost controlled for now. We know if we had brought Spurgeon in from another team, it would take a bit more. But we didn't. We signed and developed him, and he really didn't have anywhere else to go.

The other thing is, it sets a precedent for our other rookies. Brodin had a tremendous season this year. Is he in line to get 5-6 million a year like Larsson when his contract is up? Zucker, 4-5 million based off of guys like Skinner and other rookies?

Old
07-05-2013, 03:36 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
And in the same sense that Clutterbuck and Hackett were terrible picks and we should have traded away all of our picks outside the first 2 rounds right? It's like you can't think of anything outside the company line.

ninja edit before a warning? you got someone in your pocket...no worries for you. didn't have to change it. a third round pick isn't high no matter how much you want it to be or whether the player picked eventually becomes solid.
I said I'd give spurgeon a short deal @$2m myself. not sure what you're so worked up over. trying to explain why the team thought giving him three at $2.6m was a good idea.

Old
07-05-2013, 03:36 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Precisely. Because that's how all of this works.
Then why are you guys comparing Spurgeon with Leddy? Spurgeon is Spurgeon and Leddy is Leddy.

Old
07-05-2013, 03:37 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
In front of the net? Along the boards? Or both?
in general. he isn't as elusive as Brodin is and doesn't get rid of the puck as fast. he was tossed around a lot last year.

Old
07-05-2013, 03:40 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
ninja edit before a warning? you got someone in your pocket...no worries for you. didn't have to change it. a third round pick isn't high no matter how much you want it to be or whether the player picked eventually becomes solid.
There are 211 draft picks (roughly, sometimes one or two more). The third round constitutes 62-91 picks. That's between the 29th-42nd percentile of the draft. Still high draft picks.

Quote:
I said I'd give spurgeon a short deal @$2m myself. not sure what you're so worked up over. trying to explain why the team thought giving him three at $2.6m was a good idea.
Because it sets a precedent for other rookies?

Old
07-05-2013, 03:40 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Slightly more than expected, but fits the role/experience of the player. The deal is solid. May actually be a bit of a bargain in yr 3.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote