HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Detroit interested in Brenden Morrow

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-05-2013, 03:52 PM
  #51
KJoe88
#Fire Holland
 
KJoe88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dearborn, MI
Posts: 2,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashman View Post
Not sure of the context, but this made me laugh. Thanks for that.
Lol.

The ONLY way I'd be ok with Morrow coming here is if we trade some of the bottom end players we have Eaves, Sammy, Tootoo, etc.

And I swear if Gus and Tats don't play...

KJoe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:53 PM
  #52
redjax
Boom Roasted.
 
redjax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 1,457
vCash: 500
This feels like an "Oh ****, we're losing Cleary, let's hurry up and get his replacement!" move, which is a terrible idea.

We don't have the room, yo.

redjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:04 PM
  #53
T Low
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Possibilities?

Helm LTIR
Sammy LTIR
Emmerton waived
Eaves waived


FWIW, Pierre McQuire just said on Team 1040 in Vancouver in between gushing about Detroit s acquisitions, that Helm is back skating and working out with the Grand Rapids kids at the moment.

T Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:07 PM
  #54
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats
 
Kronwalled55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bay City, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 5,014
vCash: 500
Sheahan can be our Cleary/Morrow in a year. I would lean more towards our Bertuzzi.

Kronwalled55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:13 PM
  #55
bababooeyII
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 552
vCash: 500
Sheahan is NOT physical, he is soft why people don't grasp this is beyond me. He'll never have success in detroit unless he plays more physical. He's Franzen without the hands.

bababooeyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:13 PM
  #56
MrTaterSalad
Registered User
 
MrTaterSalad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 112
vCash: 500
Why is Holland in on guys like Morrow and Alfredsson but showing little or no interest in guys like Horton, MacArthur and Raymond? While I like the Alfredsson signing, I'm not sure why Kenny is passing on the younger-end talent. Seeing what Horton and MacArthur got, the Wings could have easily matched those offers. Those are the guys I want to be throwing money and commitments at, 30 and under, not 35 and over.

MrTaterSalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:14 PM
  #57
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman
 
JmanWingsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere
Country: United States
Posts: 4,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTaterSalad View Post
Why is Holland in on guys like Morrow and Alfredsson but showing little or no interest in guys like Horton, MacArthur and Raymond? While I like the Alfredsson signing, I'm not sure why Kenny is passing on the younger-end talent. Seeing what Horton and MacArthur got, the Wings could have easily matched those offers. Those are the guys I want to be throwing money and commitments at, 30 and under, not 35 and over.
Horton got overpayed, and he didn't want to go to a traditional market. MacArthur and Raymond would have just taken up roster spots that can be given to Nyquist and Tatar.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:16 PM
  #58
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable
 
Guru Meditation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababooeyII View Post
Sheahan is NOT physical, he is soft why people don't grasp this is beyond me. He'll never have success in detroit unless he plays more physical. He's Franzen without the hands.
Just because a player isn't mean doesn't mean he's soft. Sheahan is big and strong and goes to hard areas. I don't think you've watched him very much.

He'd also be a lot more physical on the wing, I think. He's playing a key role defensively when he's at center and can't afford to take runs at people.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:17 PM
  #59
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!
 
SoupNazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kramerica Industries
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,189
vCash: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTaterSalad View Post
Why is Holland in on guys like Morrow and Alfredsson but showing little or no interest in guys like Horton, MacArthur and Raymond? While I like the Alfredsson signing, I'm not sure why Kenny is passing on the younger-end talent. Seeing what Horton and MacArthur got, the Wings could have easily matched those offers. Those are the guys I want to be throwing money and commitments at, 30 and under, not 35 and over.
Horton wanted to play in a non-traditional hockey market.

Aside from that, he's a huge risk.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:18 PM
  #60
MrTaterSalad
Registered User
 
MrTaterSalad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
Horton got overpayed, and he didn't want to go to a traditional market. MacArthur and Raymond would have just taken up roster spots that can be given to Nyquist and Tatar.
5.3 for Horton is not that much of an overpayment really. MacArthur and Raymond could have brought in instead of Alfredsson. Both are younger, cheaper and nearly as productive.

MrTaterSalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:18 PM
  #61
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 20,395
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
Horton got overpayed, and he didn't want to go to a traditional market. MacArthur and Raymond would have just taken up roster spots that can be given to Nyquist and Tatar.
Horton's cap hit is great.

Term may not be in 5 years or so.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:19 PM
  #62
Amyklas
Registered User
 
Amyklas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
Horton wanted to play in a non-traditional hockey market.

Aside from that, he's a huge risk.
evidenced by his disclosure that he's about to have shoulder surgery

Amyklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:19 PM
  #63
Yzerman1919*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
Horton got overpayed, and he didn't want to go to a traditional market. MacArthur and Raymond would have just taken up roster spots that can be given to Nyquist and Tatar.
THIS! After next year if Alfie leaves that is a few million, plus Sammy/Bert and then we have enough $ to make a deal for a better player in a probably better FA market

Yzerman1919* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:22 PM
  #64
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 20,395
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTaterSalad View Post
5.3 for Horton is not that much of an overpayment really. MacArthur and Raymond could have brought in instead of Alfredsson. Both are younger, cheaper and nearly as productive.
LH shots.

Not as good puck possession players imo. Based one eye test, haven't looked at numbers.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:24 PM
  #65
MrTaterSalad
Registered User
 
MrTaterSalad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
Horton wanted to play in a non-traditional hockey market.

Aside from that, he's a huge risk.
Huge risk? I think his "injury proneness" is getting overblown. The guy had one non-lockout season where he played less than 65 games. He played 46 games and still managed 17 goals and 32 total points. Horton was exactly what we need offensively. First, he's still under 30. Horton also scores from the left side, averages 28 goals and 25 assists per season, isn't afraid to crash the net, plays hard in the corners and battles for loose pucks.

What player better than Nathan Horton are the Wings possibly going to get in a deadline deal or next off-season? Which prospects in the organization play like Horton and can match his level of productivity?

MrTaterSalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:25 PM
  #66
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman
 
JmanWingsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere
Country: United States
Posts: 4,468
vCash: 500
Someone's got to go if we're signing Morrow. The next move for sure is gonna be some trades.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:28 PM
  #67
Robbler
Registered User
 
Robbler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by last_sd View Post
Can we go for Iginla instead? If we are willing to spend money on Morrow, go for Iginla (probably will cost more but still)
This.

Robbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:28 PM
  #68
Amyklas
Registered User
 
Amyklas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTaterSalad View Post
Huge risk? I think his "injury proneness" is getting overblown. The guy had one non-lockout season where he played less than 65 games. He played 46 games and still managed 17 goals and 32 total points. Horton was exactly what we need offensively. First, he's still under 30. Horton also scores from the left side, averages 28 goals and 25 assists per season, isn't afraid to crash the net, plays hard in the corners and battles for loose pucks.

What player better than Nathan Horton are the Wings possibly going to get in a deadline deal or next off-season? Which prospects in the organization play like Horton and can match his level of productivity?
and yet he signed elsewhere, so why waste time worrying about it?

Amyklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:30 PM
  #69
MrTaterSalad
Registered User
 
MrTaterSalad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amyklas View Post
and yet he signed elsewhere, so why waste time worrying about it?
Because, at least with what is known publicly, he wasn't even offered a deal and I believe he should have been.

MrTaterSalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:30 PM
  #70
Bench
Moderator
Coffee. Pie. Owls.
 
Bench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Twin Peaks
Posts: 7,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
Someone's got to go if we're signing Morrow. The next move for sure is gonna be some trades.
Yeah I'm fine with this. Holland is stocking up on better players (or hey, if you don't think better they are different players) and going to finally trim some of the fat from the team.

We all thought it was a foregone conclusion at least two of Brunner, Filppula, and Cleary would be back, but here we are. And suddenly it doesn't look like any of the bottom 6 guys are safe, save Helm and Abdelkader.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:31 PM
  #71
1st Line Interloper
Will Drop the Gloves
 
Join Date: May 2013
Country: Finland
Posts: 809
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTaterSalad View Post
5.3 for Horton is not that much of an overpayment really. MacArthur and Raymond could have brought in instead of Alfredsson. Both are younger, cheaper and nearly as productive.
I don't know much about MacArthur, I heard he had a bad year but is a good two way player but that's it. I know that Horton wasn't going to sign here because he's looking for a place to settle down and have a quiet life. I don't think Kenny wasn't going to offer that term either.

Raymond, you have to be joking. I'd take Brunner at 2.5 million over him. Raymond has had chances to play with the Sedins (elite setup guys themselves) and hasn't produced.

1st Line Interloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:36 PM
  #72
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats
 
Kronwalled55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bay City, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 5,014
vCash: 500
Interesting quote.

Bob Duff ‏@asktheduffer 3m
#redwings Holland on his roster: "This is going to be a work in progress over the summer."

Kronwalled55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:39 PM
  #73
Bench
Moderator
Coffee. Pie. Owls.
 
Bench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Twin Peaks
Posts: 7,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronwalled55 View Post
Interesting quote.

Bob Duff ‏@asktheduffer 3m
#redwings Holland on his roster: "This is going to be a work in progress over the summer."
Reeeeeaaallly? I kind of expected, "We're done! Now everybody grab a weapon and fight for your spot in camp."

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:40 PM
  #74
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!
 
SoupNazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kramerica Industries
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,189
vCash: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronwalled55 View Post
Interesting quote.

Bob Duff ‏@asktheduffer 3m
#redwings Holland on his roster: "This is going to be a work in progress over the summer."
Then stop trying to sign Cleary, you fool!

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:41 PM
  #75
bababooeyII
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 552
vCash: 500
I think there's another ufa signing, this time a guy who'll provide some grit. If Cleary leaves I'm thinking Iginla until he signs elsewhere

bababooeyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:45 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.