HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pick a Defenseman to Trade!

View Poll Results: Choose one!
Ehrhoff 3 4.76%
Myers 11 17.46%
Weber 1 1.59%
Mcbain 7 11.11%
Pysyk 0 0%
Ruhwedel 4 6.35%
McNabb 9 14.29%
Ristolainen 2 3.17%
Zadorov 0 0%
Pardy 6 9.52%
Other 0 0%
We shouldn't trade any defense 20 31.75%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-05-2013, 02:19 PM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 500
Pick a Defenseman to Trade!

I choose McNabb. I think he'll be a sweetener in a deal this offseason. What option do you chose? And why?

I'm thinking this can be one of many moves. Miller+2nd round pick(s) +McNabb could be used to get us a veteran defenseman and two bottom six veteran centers. They can be separate deals. I think it would be worth it. We lose a little bit of youth, but we gain a ton of valuable experience.

Edit: I forgot to add McCabe. Pardy is a UFA.

Last edited by Dubi Doo: 07-05-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 02:26 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
We shouldn't trade any of them. We don't know what we have in these guys yet and we frankly need them to get through the season.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 02:28 PM
Chainshot
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
On your list: Pardy is UFA

I don't think they deal any of their d-men at this time. They don't have the depth and there aren't quality, value replacements in UFA for the most part. Let the kids learn on the job, build experience now for the near future.

07-05-2013, 02:32 PM
Takeo

Can they afford to trade a d-man? They don't look to have much experience over the next couple of seasons and there's no telling whether the prospects pan out.

Who are the projected top 7 next year?

Myers
Ehrhoff
Weber
Pysyk
McBain
McNabb
Ristolainen?

Takeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 02:32 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Sekera, obviously

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 02:33 PM
Jeremy2020

This seems like it came a bit late.

Jeremy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 02:34 PM
Dubi Doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post

I don't think they deal any of their d-men at this time. They don't have the depth and there aren't quality, value replacements in UFA for the most part. Let the kids learn on the job, build experience now for the near future.
I'm thinking this can be one of many moves. Miller+2nd round pick(s) +McNabb could be used to get us a veteran defenseman and two bottom six veteran centers. They can be separate deals. I think it would be worth it. We lose a little bit of youth, but we gain a ton of valuable experience.

Old
07-05-2013, 02:35 PM
Dubi Doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy2020 View Post
This seems like it came a bit late.
They have a surplus of young defensemen...

Old
07-05-2013, 02:36 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Isn't literally half of our top 6 in the last six months enough?

Do we need to promote the entire Amerks blueline at once?

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 02:41 PM
Sabretip

Regier sounded rather impressed with himself and his defense corps after the draft - I doubt he has any visions or willingness to deal any of Myers, Ehrhoff, Pysyk, Weber or McNabb. Dealing McBain so quick after the draft wouldn't be his MO either.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:16 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Only five of those players will definitely be on the roster, and the rest will be competing for the last three or four roster spots, or can be sent to Rochester (OHL for Zadorov). There really isn't a surplus of D-men at all.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:35 PM
VaporTrail

Ruhwedel if he has any value...I didn't see much in the physical department from him so that makes him expendable imo

VaporTrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:01 PM
brian_griffin
"Elite Poster" ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
We shouldn't trade any of them. We don't know what we have in these guys yet and we frankly need them to get through the season.
Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post

Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
Can they afford to trade a d-man? They don't look to have much experience over the next couple of seasons and there's no telling whether the prospects pan out.

Who are the projected top 7 next year?

Myers
Ehrhoff
Weber
Pysyk
McBain
McNabb
Ristolainen?
Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
Ruhwedel if he has any value...I didn't see much in the physical department from him so that makes him expendable imo
He's the Sekera replacement, especially if Risto needs time in the AHL to get used to smaller ice surface.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
Only five of those players will definitely be on the roster, and the rest will be competing for the last three or four roster spots, or can be sent to Rochester (OHL for Zadorov). There really isn't a surplus of D-men at all.
Exactly. Injuries happen. As Chain routinely notes, BUF dresses 9-11 d-men per season. And if RonRol is more anal about stick handedness for his pairs than Lindy, I expect it to be closer to 11 than 9.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:06 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
Really?!? He's expendable after a short stint because he's not physical? I saw a very intelligent defender that was typically in good position. Especially impressive for his midseason jump from NCAA to NHL.

Im willing to move him in the right deal, but I wouldn't go calling him expendable. He had a very promising start and could show a great improvement after a full NHL offseason and training camp. And, I don't need all of my D to be bruisers. If he is good with the puck and is always in the right position to disrupt the play, I'm happy.

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:09 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
They have a surplus of young defensemen...
Disagree. We'll have a surplus of young D when we have guys who deserve to be in the NHL toiling away in the minors. That's certainly not the case now. Let's wait and see if we can fill out our NHL roster with quality form this bunch first.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:22 PM
Meichel Kane
My Name Is

Can we get a veteran up in here?

Meichel Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:57 PM
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime

vCash: 720
Trade Ruhwedel.McNabb deserves a spot over him easily.Ruhwedel will be a #5 at best.McNabb has top pairing potential.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:17 PM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5 View Post
Really?!? He's expendable after a short stint because he's not physical? I saw a very intelligent defender that was typically in good position. Especially impressive for his midseason jump from NCAA to NHL.

Im willing to move him in the right deal, but I wouldn't go calling him expendable. He had a very promising start and could show a great improvement after a full NHL offseason and training camp. And, I don't need all of my D to be bruisers. If he is good with the puck and is always in the right position to disrupt the play, I'm happy.
We literally have one guy who will definitely be on our blueline this season that could be considered "a bruiser" and that's Weber. We may not need a whole team of them, but having more than one would sure be helpful. I liked what I saw of Ruhwedel last year, but it was one hell of a small sample size. If any of our defenders were expendable I'd likely say Ruhwedel would be. He already plays a style we have plenty of on the blueline. With that said we should just stick with what we have you can never have too many quality defenders.

is the answer jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:47 PM
Top Pair Imposter
False Defenseman

vCash: 50
If they had to move someone, Myers for a more reliable vet and gravy

Top Pair Imposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:25 PM
Dubi Doo

I understand our prospects are not guarantees. Which is why I want to flip one for a veteran defenseman who can play a solid 3 or so years here and help guide the young guys.

Weber
Myers
Veteran traded for
Ehrhoff

Leave the other two spots open for competition. I expect Pysyk to take one. That leave's one open for a rookie or a bottom pairing defenseman we can sign.

And we do have a surplus of defensive prospects. We don't have a surplus of NHL ready defenseman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Trade Ruhwedel.McNabb deserves a spot over him easily.Ruhwedel will be a #5 at best.McNabb has top pairing potential.
I think McNabb could get us a better return, and I don't think he has top pairing potential.

Old
07-05-2013, 09:29 PM
Lloydchristmas138

Not to spin this in a different direction but another interesting question that I think you're kind of getting at would be: In 3-4 years which d-man do you think won't be in the starting 6?

1.Myers
2.Ehrhoff
3.Pysyk
4.Ristolainen
5.Zadorov
6.McNabb
7.McCabe
8.Weber
9.Ruhwedel

As of this date, my first guess would be Weber/McCabe/Ruhwedel on the outside looking in, mostly because of McNabb's size. Myers is a real wildcard for sure though.

Lloydchristmas138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 10:16 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydchristmas138 View Post
Not to spin this in a different direction but another interesting question that I think you're kind of getting at would be: In 3-4 years which d-man do you think won't be in the starting 6?

1.Myers
2.Ehrhoff
3.Pysyk
4.Ristolainen
5.Zadorov
6.McNabb
7.McCabe
8.Weber
9.Ruhwedel

As of this date, my first guess would be Weber/McCabe/Ruhwedel on the outside looking in, mostly because of McNabb's size. Myers is a real wildcard for sure though.
Weber and Ruhwedel are most likely on the outside looking in, given that they're likely the least innately talented of the 9 you list.

Myers, Risto, Pysyk, McCabe and Zadorov seem like locks to me to be in the top 6 after 3/4 years.

#6 to me then comes down to Ehrhoff vs. McNabb. Ehrhoff has the contract, but McNabb seems like me might fit better if we're doing the LA thing of a harder hitter and a better puck mover on each pairing.

However, McNabb's progress is concerning to me.

Ultimately, I think one of them gets traded. Ehrhoff seems like the most likely candidate if someone will swallow the term left on the deal.

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 10:48 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by is the answer jesus View Post
We literally have one guy who will definitely be on our blueline this season that could be considered "a bruiser" and that's Weber. We may not need a whole team of them, but having more than one would sure be helpful. I liked what I saw of Ruhwedel last year, but it was one hell of a small sample size. If any of our defenders were expendable I'd likely say Ruhwedel would be. He already plays a style we have plenty of on the blueline. With that said we should just stick with what we have you can never have too many quality defenders.
Right now this team is also short on solid defensive instinct. When Myers went out late in the season and was replaced by a college kid, the defense performed better. It was a small sample size and we don't know what he'll become, which can be said about most of our defenders, but if it came down to a choice of a defenseman that is physical and a defender that can actually play defense I'm picking option two.

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 11:04 PM
MayDayMayDay

Keep em all, we don't know enough yet. Lotta youth in there, enough that from this group is going to emerge our post-rebuild d-corps. Let it emerge first, then trim the fat and tailor a contender.

Rebuild the right way: Defense FIRST.

MayDayMayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:48 AM
Sabresfansince1980

Six votes for Pardy. I can only hope they were for laughs.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote