HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where Was Darcy As Ottawa Steals Bobby Ryan?

Old
07-05-2013, 03:33 PM
joshjull

vCash: 500
We did miss out on a entertaining tweeter

@b_ryan9: Ottawa.... Im coming in hot

@b_ryan9: My gf just asked me if we were moving north of Detroit. Not a geography major haha

I'm sure his girlfriend will love that tweet

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:34 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWinslow View Post
Exactly. The early 20s or younger players we have either carry more risk than Slifverberg or have way more value.

This rebuild we are embarking on is going to require patience. For the fans that's going to be the toughest thing.
It clearly already is with the clamouring over the Ryan deal and the gnashing of teeth that they haven't done anything else in free agency. Patience.

07-05-2013, 03:35 PM
Sabres Fan UK
eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWinslow View Post
Exactly. The early 20s or younger players we have either carry more risk than Slifverberg or have way more value.

This rebuild we are embarking on is going to require patience. For the fans that's going to be the toughest thing.
But we need to win now!!!111!!, and clearly this team is only a Bobby Ryan away from doing so.

Sabres Fan UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:38 PM
start winnin
NO MORE TANK BOYS

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanboySlayer View Post
you're here so we know at least one did, thanks for coming out.
You're crying about not getting Bobby Ryan by trading away our young prospects when we're not even close to contending or making the playoffs. We're rebuilding, not competing. If you want to middle around the 8th seed forever then all the power to you.

I guess I'm an idiot for not wanting to trade away assets for a player who isn't even a difference maker and lacks the consistency to be a true star player. Ottawa is in a position to make the playoffs because they have a fantastic coach, a true #1 center, a Norris caliber defenseman and depth in their prospect pool which is why it is smart to trade for Bobby Ryan.

But I see your reasoning, you're probably thinking... "Ooooh Bobby Ryan just got traded!!! He's so shiny!! I want him too!!! Damn that Darcy, he sucks for not getting him!! I'm going to complain about it now!!!"

start winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:46 PM
FanboySlayer*

I never said the first round pick Ottawa gave up meant we give up our first round pick.

We have players who have proven themselves in the NHL as legit NHL players, we have prospects, and draft picks.

Bobby Ryan could have been part of the rebuild and *possibly* at a price we could afford.

I don't know how the rest of the league and Anaheim in particular feels about Ennis, Hodgson, McNabb, Pysyk, Foligno

One thing I know is - we sure as hell don't need both Ennis and Hodgson, take your pick which one you want to keep because I will guarantee you that when this rebuild is over only one of them will be here.

FanboySlayer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:48 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Quote:
I never said the first round pick Ottawa gave up meant we give up our first round pick.

We have players who have proven themselves in the NHL as legit NHL players, we have prospects, and draft picks.

Bobby Ryan could have been part of the rebuild and *possibly* at a price we could afford.

I don't know how the rest of the league and Anaheim in particular feels about Ennis, Hodgson, McNabb, Pysyk, Foligno

One thing I know is - we sure as hell don't need both Ennis and Hodgson, take your pick which one you want to keep because I will guarantee you that when this rebuild is over only one of them will be here.
And another thing you don't know is whether or not Darcy called Anaheim and discussed those players. Its very possible he did and the Ducks chose the Senator package instead.

Do not let me interrupt your witch hunt though good sir.

I'm also not sure how Ennis and Hodgson become redundant given that they are not similar players and may not even play the same position.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:53 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Quote:

Fair enough about the 1st, you're right, you didn't say we'd include ours.

The thing about Ennis or Hodgson becoming obsolete is that if it happens, you wait until it happens to trade them for the Bobby Ryan of the day. What would having Bobby Ryan on our team right now do? It'd be a lateral move trading Hodgson or Ennis for him. Just get through this season, which is going to suck, have a good draft, re-evaluate how our young players and prospects progressed over the season. This season should be year 0, our bottom out point.

Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 03:58 PM
Jim Carr's Rug

I love it.

Not the trade, the thread.
Whenever I see such a ridiculous original post followed by three pages, I grab the popcorn and kick up the feet.

Jim Carr's Rug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:00 PM
FanboySlayer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
You're crying about not getting Bobby Ryan by trading away our young prospects when we're not even close to contending or making the playoffs. We're rebuilding, not competing. If you want to middle around the 8th seed forever then all the power to you.

I guess I'm an idiot for not wanting to trade away assets for a player who isn't even a difference maker and lacks the consistency to be a true star player. Ottawa is in a position to make the playoffs because they have a fantastic coach, a true #1 center, a Norris caliber defenseman and depth in their prospect pool which is why it is smart to trade for Bobby Ryan.

But I see your reasoning, you're probably thinking... "Ooooh Bobby Ryan just got traded!!! He's so shiny!! I want him too!!! Damn that Darcy, he sucks for not getting him!! I'm going to complain about it now!!!"
He's not shiny, he's not new - he's a proven young NHL veteran.

You are the one who is fascinated by shiny new objects, prospects you project are all going to be the stars the gushing websites and magazines predict for them.

Here's the other thing - this team was 15-11-5
under Ron Rolston. We are nowhere near as bad as you think we are. This past season was in my opinion something of an anomaly - a culmination of a team already in mutiny against a coach, a young star defenceman who had no idea how to handle his first lockout and showed up out of shape and lost all his confidence when he realized he had ****ed up badly, just a really bad scene and not enough time in a contracted season to fix things.

We are not that far behind the Ottawa Senators.

Old
07-05-2013, 04:03 PM
FanboySlayer*

er - wrong record for Rolston

15-11-5 i believe.

Old
07-05-2013, 04:03 PM
SoFFacet

Is this thread for real? Ottawa just gave up an ass-ton of futures including a 22yo on a very good development trajectory, and two 1st rounders for a scorer in his prime.

We are rebuilding. Topping Ottawa's package without using our 2014 1st or Myers would have required three of Grigorenko, Armia, Pysyk, Hodgson, Ennis, Girgensons, Larsson, Ristolainen, or Zadarov. Such a deal would (obviously) directly detract pieces from our rebuilt team (which is the opposite of what all of our moves should be doing) while decreasing the value of our 2014 and 2015 1sts and probably still not making the playoffs in either year. And Regier is supposed to brainwash Ryan into wanting to stay after that?

I can't believe there is even one Sabre fan who thinks topping Ottawa's offer would have been a good idea.

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:05 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
er - wrong record for Rolston

15-11-5 i believe.
Yeah. That's right. Good for 9th in the conference pro-rated.

I mean, just give up. We're rebuilding. No amount of crying about it is going to make it stop. How many roster players do we need to trade for draft picks for it to sink in?

haseoke39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:05 PM
start winnin
NO MORE TANK BOYS

Quote:

You are the one who is fascinated by shiny new objects, prospects you project are all going to be the stars the gushing websites and magazines predict for them.

Here's the other thing - this team was 15-11-5(fixed)
under Ron Rolston. We are nowhere near as bad as you think we are. This past season was in my opinion something of an anomaly - a culmination of a team already in mutiny against a coach, a young star defenceman who had no idea how to handle his first lockout and showed up out of shape and lost all his confidence when he realized he had ****ed up badly, just a really bad scene and not enough time in a contracted season to fix things.

Do you think we're making the playoffs? Because I seriously doubt it, I seriously doubt we even sniff the playoffs. I predict something like a 13th place finish in the East. I'm not okay with that but it's going to happen. We're rebuilding and I'm trying to embrace it. Where did I say anything about the prospects turning out to be stars? I simply don't think that a package greater than Silfverberg, Noeson and a 1st is worth Ryan. The very thread title shows how you feel about Ryan if you think this deal was a steal.

Take a look at the Anaheim board, many if not all Anaheim fans are happy with the deal they got, which never happens if a star player is being traded for prospects and young players. Why is that?

By shiny, I didn't mean how long the person has been in the NHL, I meant more like 'oh here's something new I can ***** about', you took that out of context.

If we make the playoffs, feel free to save this post and shove it in my face. I'll happily accept that you were right.

Old
07-05-2013, 04:08 PM
brian_griffin
"Elite Poster" ???

Quote:

Here's the other thing - this team was 15-5-5

Q. How many of those wins were shootout wins? What was their record in regulation games? How many times did they come from behind to win in regulation or overtime? Who is their elite offensive talent? How many games did they win (regardless of regulation or OT or shootout) where they clearly won 2 periods or more? What percentage of games did they outshoot their opponent? [And Myers has not progressed for longer than this past season.]

Not putting you / your opinion down, just being objective.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:13 PM
sonnEbunny

It can be difficult to read this forum sometimes. Bobby Ryan IS NOT our answer and I am thrilled we did not trade for him. During a rebuild you do not trade away our prospects, young players and draft picks! And to the poster that asked if anyone thinks that Hodgson, Miller or Vanek will resign, YES is my simple answer to you.

sonnEbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:14 PM
FanboySlayer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
Yeah. That's right. Good for 9th in the conference pro-rated.

I mean, just give up. We're rebuilding. No amount of crying about it is going to make it stop. How many roster players do we need to trade for draft picks for it to sink in?
yeah 9th - one place out of the playoffs in a year where almost nothing went our way. as far as 'rebuilding' - we are 'building' as most teams are.

jesus you'd think i had suggested the Sabres empty the cupboard of prospects and young players to get Ryan, which I didn't.

Ryan is young enough to fit in with the type of rebuild we're in.

Old
07-05-2013, 04:16 PM
start winnin
NO MORE TANK BOYS

Quote:
yeah 9th - one place out of the playoffs in a year where almost nothing went our way. as far as 'rebuilding' - we are 'building' as most teams are.

jesus you'd think i had suggested the Sabres empty the cupboard of prospects and young players to get Ryan, which I didn't.

Put together a package that is better than Silfverberg, Noeson and a 1st.

Perhaps Darcy offered the deal you propose and it was rejected, then what? Still his fault right?

I don't like Darcy, and if he was fired I would be happy. If you accept that we are rebuilding, he has put together a great stable of prospects in a little over a year. Whether they turn out to be a contending team or not, who knows? We're not one now, and Bobby Ryan isn't going to make us one either.

Old
07-05-2013, 04:19 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Quote:

Again, and most everyone in this thread agrees, adding Ryan now doesn't make a whole lot of sense. We should be acquiring younger players and cultivating them. I don't think anyone here thinks the idea of having Bobby Ryan on the team is terrible, except for how it might hurt our ability to get a top 3 pick. Trading for a Bobby Ryan is more expensive asset-wise than cultivating your own Bobby Ryans. Paying that cost only makes sense when your team is looking to take the next step. We're looking to take our baby steps. We acquire, stockpile, and groom talent. When the time comes to take a step forward, you consider packaging that talent and/or picks and/or spare parts for a player of Ryan's relative value. Not now.

The main issue is that you're acting like Darcy is a terrible GM for not trading for Ryan and that Pegula is an idiot for some reason, even though it's not a smart or necessary move for a proper rebuild. The idea that you made a whole entire thread to complain about it, one where you went so far as to erroneously state Ottawa 'stole' Ryan in the title, is what is ridiculous.

Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:20 PM
FanboySlayer*

One thing I will predict on July 5th - the Sabres are nowhere near the mess you think they are, they will be in the hunt for a playoff spot come April.

Old
07-05-2013, 04:21 PM
BananaSquad

They got him for free?

BananaSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:21 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
One thing I will predict on July 5th - the Sabres are nowhere near the mess you think they are, they will be in the hunt for a playoff spot come April.
quoted for next April

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:23 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Murray said he had a 2nd on the table, lost Alfredsson then called Anaheim and gave them the 1st they wanted to seal the deal.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:27 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Quote:
I'm not gonna bash you for being optimistic, but you're putting alot of hope and stock into the young guns ( Armia, Grig, Larson, Girg, Psysk, Risto, etc) I mean it is a good thing and a bad thing. I hope we are competitive but it sucks seeing Ryan and these studs go to these playoff teams.

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:28 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKSHOT View Post
quoted for next April
Not that I wanted Ryan, but I think a full camp and Rolston will make a difference. Enough for Buffalo to be within mathematical contention, and around a 10-13th finish.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 04:29 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
Not that I wanted Ryan, but I think a full camp and Rolston will make a difference. Enough for Buffalo to be within mathematical contention, and around a 10-13th finish.
again I agree, but not good enough for 8th or above

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote