Montreal trades for Parros ---get Thornton some help already

Old
07-16-2013, 01:09 PM
Roll 4 Lines
Pastafarian!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebottom View Post
Best example are the leafs two seasons ago and last year. The team played much bigger and tougher with Orr & McLaren in the line up.
I'd be a liar if I told you I disagreed with this.

Roll 4 Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 01:11 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*

Who on our team could take any of the Leafs heavies?

Thornton did pretty bad vs. Orr last year. A rematch maybe Thornton would come up on type

We have no one for Mclaren

McQuaid didn't do so well vs. Fraser but I think he wasn't 100% and could do much better this year

Only one who did real well was Macdermid and hes gone

Bi Coastal Bawse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 01:15 PM
qc

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebottom View Post
Thats the whole point that we have that reputation, but it goes out the window when we face a team with real heavies. Hypocrisy at its best.
So you think that we are not worthy of our reputation because of what.. 2 games? You really think a few incidents against Buffalo signify a bigger issue? I don't.

I'll say it again, we have as close to a "best of both worlds" scenario as possible. We play disciplined yet physical hockey, and we don't fear any opponent. That's good enough for me. If it becomes a pattern, I'll rethink my stance.

qc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 01:18 PM
qc

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
They were a major headcase team each of the last 4 seasons. There was nothing new last year at all really.

Go back and look at the Sabres games last season. After the Campbell/Kaleta fight (which I believe Campbell lost) the Sabres' list of penalties was:

Slashing
Cross-Checking (Sulzer)
Tripping
Smothering the Puck
Diving
Holding
Slashing
Closing Hand on the Puck

Doesn't strike me as a team that has neutered their opponent and is now willing to play bigger and stretch the boundaries of the rules.

What it does strike me is a team who spent their entire offseason last year hearing about how they did nothing in response to Lucic burying their star, and came out with something to prove in their first meeting...and then went back to being the nothing team they are.
This x 1000.

qc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 01:54 PM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
Slashing
Cross-Checking (Sulzer)
Tripping
Smothering the Puck
Diving
Holding
Slashing
Closing Hand on the Puck

Doesn't strike me as a team that has neutered their opponent and is now willing to play bigger and stretch the boundaries of the rules.

What it does strike me is a team who spent their entire offseason last year hearing about how they did nothing in response to Lucic burying their star, and came out with something to prove in their first meeting...and then went back to being the nothing team they are.
Agreed, that small sample of penalties cited there doesn't prove much of anything.

Kaleta taking a ridiculous charge/ attempted headshot at David Krejci (and it wasn't in the "first meeting") tells me everything I need to know about how Buffalo now views Boston. Kaleta knows there are only a couple of guys on Boston that could mess him up and now they have to go through Scott first --which nobody is willing to do.

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 02:00 PM
Roll 4 Lines
Pastafarian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
Agreed, that small sample of penalties cited there doesn't prove much of anything.

Kaleta taking a ridiculous charge/ attempted headshot at David Krejci (and it wasn't in the "first meeting") tells me everything I need to know about how Buffalo now views Boston. Kaleta knows there are only a couple of guys on Boston that could mess him up and now they have to go through Scott first --which nobody is willing to do.
I really question whether players actually think like this.

I understand playing a little bigger or ballsier when you've got a "bodyguard" so to speak, but do you really think Kaleta skates around thinking that he can throw extra cheapshots because there's a lesser chance of getting punched in the mouth a time or 2?

Old
07-16-2013, 02:08 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:

4 games is too small of a sample...

But 1 play which is the latest in a long line of ridiculous cheap plays from that player is enough to tell you everything you need to know? Why did it stop after the Campbell fight then, if Buffalo viewed Boston that way? Why didn't Kaleta and Ott take numerous runs at Seguin, Bergeron, etc.? They had John Scott right? So they could literally do anything they wanted....

MTaylorJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 02:19 PM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll 4 Lines View Post
I really question whether players actually think like this.

I understand playing a little bigger or ballsier when you've got a "bodyguard" so to speak, but do you really think Kaleta skates around thinking that he can throw extra cheapshots because there's a lesser chance of getting punched in the mouth a time or 2?
It is a fair question. I have had a handful of friends and acquaintances who have played in the AHL, KHL and NHL over the years and I can tell you that this notion that hockey players "are not intimidated by anybody" is complete ********. They are just regular people, on skates --I think sometimes we forget that as we sit behind our keyboards.

Old
07-16-2013, 02:30 PM
Colt.45Orr

I think I've said my peace here, spent too much time on this thread during a stretch of brilliant weather, so thanks for the good discussion guys... but I'm out!

Old
07-16-2013, 02:36 PM
Roll 4 Lines
Pastafarian!

Quote:
It is a fair question. I have had a handful of friends and acquaintances who have played in the AHL, KHL and NHL over the years and I can tell you that this notion that hockey players "are not intimidated by anybody" is complete ********. They are just regular people, on skates --I think sometimes we forget that as we sit behind our keyboards.
True, I just wonder to what extent.

I never even played in a league that allowed fighting, but those who have, claim that they do in fact play a little bigger and badder when they've got a tougher line-up, or some tough guys in the line-up.

Shoebottom mentioned it about Toronto last year as compared to the year before.

I do believe it's a factor, I just don't know how much of a factor.

Are guys like Kaleta, or especially Cooke, Ott, Avery, etc. gonna behave themselves because they might get a black eye?

Old
07-16-2013, 02:37 PM
Roll 4 Lines
Pastafarian!

Quote:
I think I've said my peace here, spent too much time on this thread during a stretch of brilliant weather, so thanks for the good discussion guys... but I'm out!
Thank you...it's a fun discussion 3 or 4 times a year!

Old
07-16-2013, 02:41 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
True, I just wonder to what extent.

I never even played in a league that allowed fighting, but those who have, claim that they do in fact play a little bigger and badder when they've got a tougher line-up, or some tough guys in the line-up.

Shoebottom mentioned it about Toronto last year as compared to the year before.

I do believe it's a factor, I just don't know how much of a factor.

Are guys like Kaleta, or especially Cooke, Ott, Avery, etc. gonna behave themselves because they might get a black eye?
Colt's gonna hate on me, but I agree with the above. Sure, some guys may get intimidated, but not the likes mentioned above. They have a screw loose as it is and another goon aside from Thornton, Lucic, McQuaid, etc wont deter them one bit.

I think if the bruins need extra beef during the season for specific games you call up Robbins or Camara but I dont think they will ever go that route.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 02:43 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan View Post
oh look! who shows up with more pointless sarcastic hyperbole.

bravo bravo
Zero hyperbole on the other side of the argument, zero. John Scott single handedly turned the Boston Bruins into a bunch of school girls, no doubt. Those two cheap shots (Stafford on Hamilton and Kaleta on Krejci which Chara did respond to but allowed an odd man rush the other way and a goal) show the signs of a broken hockey team to me.

So were the Bruins scared of the Penguins when Matt Cooke ended Savard's career? Since every single cheap shot could be prevented by being tougher and more intimidating, I have to ask were the Bruins soft back then?

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 02:45 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bi Coastal Bawse View Post
Who on our team could take any of the Leafs heavies?

Thornton did pretty bad vs. Orr last year. A rematch maybe Thornton would come up on type

We have no one for Mclaren

McQuaid didn't do so well vs. Fraser but I think he wasn't 100% and could do much better this year

Only one who did real well was Macdermid and hes gone
Did this make the Leafs better than us or something?

Old
07-16-2013, 02:47 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:

You know what the best thing we could do to cut off Buffalo's balls? Lucic train on Ryan Miller. That raised the stakes and Buffalo didnt even have an answer. They just looked at Lucic and did nothing.

If Kaleta gets out of line again then the retribution is not fighting Kaleta (because it will do nothing) and it is not fighting Scott....its steam rolling Miller or one of their top players (if they have any).

Old
07-16-2013, 02:54 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
Did this make the Leafs better than us or something?
I guess someone forgot that it took the Bs an epic comeback to get out of round 1

Old
07-16-2013, 02:58 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
I guess someone forgot that it took the Bs an epic comeback to get out of round 1
Did we WIN or did we LOSE?

And did Colton Orr and Fraser McLaren contribute to winning via intimidation?

Old
07-16-2013, 03:00 PM
Dan the bruiser*

Quote:
You are true sir.I find myself against a couple people when i was younger and play the hero.Luckyly they have fear me.I was **** scarred and they are not big freak like Scott.Even when i was 27,12 young guys of 17 18 years old have try to intimidate my friend and i interfere, but my ****ing leg was shaking.Beiing able to do some real damage on somebody is a skill that maybe only a couple of people have over a 100.

Dan the bruiser* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 03:08 PM
Fenian24

Quote:

In the regular season they did, the Leafs made the playoffs by playing a tough style of hockey that little Ronnie Wilson never would.

The leafs are building there team the right way with toughness and talent, Montreal is following suit. Watch what Detroit and Florida do in the division this year, the Wings are Bettmans dream team, soft but talented. I'm dying to see how they do.

Personally I think team Sweden won't make the playoffs, if the do they will be gone in one round. Maybe then Holland will wake up and make Detroit tough again.

As far as the Bruins go, I think they need to add another heavy this year and start to prepare for Thornton leaving after this year or next.

Fenian24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 03:09 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*

Quote:

I guess epic come backs are the norm and Orr kept hitting Chara and also was flying around. I don't remember what Mclaren did. He did initiate a scrum at the end of game 1 I believe. Maybe scored a goal or that was the regular season.

Old
07-16-2013, 03:13 PM
LouJersey

vCash: 1000
Quote:
You know what the best thing we could do to cut off Buffalo's balls? Lucic train on Ryan Miller. That raised the stakes and Buffalo didnt even have an answer. They just looked at Lucic and did nothing.

If Kaleta gets out of line again then the retribution is not fighting Kaleta (because it will do nothing) and it is not fighting Scott....its steam rolling Miller or one of their top players (if they have any).
I'd love to see that happen, but then what happens when Scott tries to make Lucic answer? Does Lucic do the Laraque and skate away? Take the bout and maybe get hurt? Or worse, what if they do it to our 56 million dollar man?

Buffalo vs Boston is just a tiny part of the season, but I think it was fairly obviously to the naked eye we played nowhere near the same game vs them we did in earlier years..

LouJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 03:15 PM
Dan the bruiser*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the bruiser View Post
You are true sir.I find myself against a couple people when i was younger and play the hero.Luckyly they have fear me.I was **** scarred and they are not big freak like Scott.Even when i was 27,12 young guys of 17 18 years old have try to intimidate my friend and i interfere, but my ****ing leg was shaking.Beiing able to do some real damage on somebody is a skill that maybe only a couple of people have over a 100.
The only problem that's nobody is availlable right now for this problem with the Bruins(Scott, Orr,McLaren or Parros)or the guy will be so **** poor a hockey that he will not help us.Maybe we can ask Klistko to wear a pair of skate.OR MMMMIIISSSTTTEEEERRR!!!Edmund Kemper the L.A ogre.People would defenitly be scared!!!

Dan the bruiser* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 03:18 PM
Roll 4 Lines
Pastafarian!

Quote:
I guess epic come backs are the norm and Orr kept hitting Chara and also was flying around. I don't remember what Mclaren did. He did initiate a scrum at the end of game 1 I believe. Maybe scored a goal or that was the regular season.
Toronto almost staged an epic comeback because they kept their legs going, and yes, they kept hitting Chara...that's what any well-coached team would do. And I do think they're well-coached. Unlike Torts or Bylsma, Carlyle actually made adjustments against Boston, as did Joel Q.

And yes, they're building a tough team and they're getting better.

But their comeback in Round 1 was because they played well, and Boston stopped skating and hitting...had nothing to do with fighting or intimidation.

Old
07-16-2013, 03:21 PM
LouJersey

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Toronto almost staged an epic comeback because they kept their legs going, and yes, they kept hitting Chara...that's what any well-coached team would do. And I do think they're well-coached. Unlike Torts or Bylsma, Carlyle actually made adjustments against Boston, as did Joel Q.

And yes, they're building a tough team and they're getting better.

But their comeback in Round 1 was because they played well, and Boston stopped skating and hitting...had nothing to do with fighting or intimidation.
Agree 1000%....

LouJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 05:06 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*

Now Montreal may also be getting Kyle Clifford who can throw.