Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal trades for Parros ---get Thornton some help already

Old
07-16-2013, 05:17 PM
DOGSTARMAN

vCash: 500
Most of the talk here has centered around Orr and McLaren (in the case of Toronto), but the real conversation is about the increasing value of players like Mark Fraser. He's a big boy, strong, pretty tough, and willing. To me, he's a plus version of McQuaid (in the physical play department). This kind of player - and there's a real trend towards this in the East - that will help neutralize the Bruins some. Size vs size, strength vs strength, toughness vs toughness.

I'll leave it to others to debate the relative value and effectiveness of Orr, Scott, Thornton, et al, but to my way of thinking, the real action when it comes to the Bruins advantage in recent years is to talk about other teams adding rugged players who can play. While some teams are adding heavyweights, the real news is that they are adding guys who at least won't be steamrolled by Lucic every shift. That is how the playing field is going to be leveled. There is a serious influx of sizable, tough defensemen in particular who (presumably) can play. You're seeing a bunch of smallish mobile d-men and you're also seeing a new crop of hulking, competent d-men. Collectively they are serving the dual masters of moving the puck and moving bodies. The smart teams are putting a premium on both.

DOGSTARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:52 AM
BadBruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bi Coastal Bawse View Post
Now Montreal may also be getting Kyle Clifford who can throw.
I'd love to see Clifford here. He was taking on heavyweights as a 19 year old similar to Lucic. Not a guy that's going to take ease of Thornton from some of monsters in the division, but he can play 10-15 minutes a night no problem. That's the kind of toughness you target IMO. Wonder what the cost to acquire would be?

BadBruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 08:28 PM
DOGSTARMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBruins View Post
I'd love to see Clifford here. He was taking on heavyweights as a 19 year old similar to Lucic. Not a guy that's going to take ease of Thornton from some of monsters in the division, but he can play 10-15 minutes a night no problem. That's the kind of toughness you target IMO. Wonder what the cost to acquire would be?
The Kings just picked up Carcillo, so I imagine they would be ready to deal Clifford (RFA). While Clifford is rugged, he has been up and down as a fighter. He has also taken some concussions, which is a bad thing in his line of work. As a so-so fighter, with some head problems in his background... that's high risk to take on. For the Canadiens, he would be secondary toughness and an alternative to less eager veterans like Moen.

A guy who I see as the ++ version of a Kyle Clifford is Matt Martin. Definite role player, bangs bodies very well, is getting better as a fighter, team guy. He fills a niche on the emerging Islanders, so i doubt he goes anywhere. But if you want a banger on your 4th line who can play well enough, he's the type I want. In the Thornton mold, if not quite as polished a fighter, and a bit better as a player (and he checks more effectively, which keeps him valuable in the playoffs).

Colt threw out Peluso's name and he's definitely an example of a legit AHL tough guy, young, who may be ready for NHL duty in the vein of a Frazer McLaren, Kevin Westgarth, or Ryan Reaves. I'm not convinced yet that Peluso can stick in the NHL. So I counter that with Brandon Mashinter, who is a notch down in the tough guy rankings but is similar in many regards. But if you want to replace Thornton down the road, Clifford is an example of that type - though I seem him as high risk - and Matt Martin is close to the ideal as far as mixing toughness with competence. I guess this is where some might mention Camara as a future option for that can-play-and-be-tough role, but I see him as a potentially loose canon Steve Downie type and not certain to be an effective brawler at the NHL level. Point being, I would not stand pat because of Camara.

NYR have been loading up on young d-men in recent times; I wonder if you could go get McIlrath from them. He would not come cheap due to his draft position and rep, but he'd be the counterpoint to Joe Morrow in the blue line pipeline.

Old
07-17-2013, 08:42 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
I guess epic come backs are the norm and Orr kept hitting Chara and also was flying around. I don't remember what Mclaren did. He did initiate a scrum at the end of game 1 I believe. Maybe scored a goal or that was the regular season.
So essentially nothing. Orr played 6:30 a night. I would bet Chara was on the ice for maybe 3 mins of that. NON-FACTOR.

The fact that you "cant remember" the rest probably means you should have never brought up the topic to begin with.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 08:44 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Now Montreal may also be getting Kyle Clifford who can throw.
I is a scared!!

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 08:50 PM
yohan1212

yeah, Clifford came in the league and fought all comers at 19. he then got KTFO 2x within a month. hasn't been the same since. we have our own Clifford in camara who is a much better checker. let him develop.... He will be chris neil like in a year or two.

yohan1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 09:14 PM
ToddRundgren
A Wizard A True Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
I is a scared!!

We are screwed

07-18-2013, 07:41 AM
DOGSTARMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancelotLink View Post

We are screwed
Remember the truism, things are good until they aren't.

Old
07-18-2013, 07:47 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
I is a scared!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancelotLink View Post

We are screwed
Nothing to be afraid of at all.... Remember the Bruins are selectively tough now...Why mess with big losers like John Scott when you can beat up the Alexei Emelin's and the Keith Aulie's of the world!!!!

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 07:57 AM
Roll 4 Lines
Pastafarian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Nothing to be afraid of at all.... Remember the Bruins are selectively tough now...Why mess with big losers like John Scott when you can beat up the Alexei Emelin's and the Keith Aulie's of the world!!!!
Well, those guys deserve a good beatin'.......for their own good!

Roll 4 Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2013, 07:58 AM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll 4 Lines View Post
Well, those guys deserve a good beatin'.......for their own good!
Agreed...was kinda said tongue in cheek, but I did have a problem with the club's selective reactiveness last year to certain things... No biggie, they will straighten it out..

Old
07-18-2013, 08:30 AM
Roll 4 Lines
Pastafarian!

Quote:
Agreed...was kinda said tongue in cheek, but I did have a problem with the club's selective reactiveness last year to certain things... No biggie, they will straighten it out..
I know it was tongue in cheek...I was trying to be funny, too....just ain't had enough coffee yet!

Plus it's too effing HOT!!

Old
07-18-2013, 08:36 AM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll 4 Lines View Post
I know it was tongue in cheek...I was trying to be funny, too....just ain't had enough coffee yet!

Plus it's too effing HOT!!
79 DEGREES in my office... I will kill someone today...

Old
07-18-2013, 08:53 AM
Roll 4 Lines
Pastafarian!

Quote:
79 DEGREES in my office... I will kill someone today...
79??!!

That's like an ice chest compared to this Godforsaken Hell Hole!

Speaking of ice chests, I think I'll stock the cooler up at Noon and have some Frosty-Pops after work!!

Old
07-19-2013, 08:01 AM
The Kid

Would love to get Matt Martin and Peluso. Forget the Scott's of the world, it is more fun and effective to simply avoid anything to do with him. He isn't going to run anyone, and plays the game pretty straight up. I have a lot of respect for him. Orr plays on the edge, and so do some of the others that are, at the same time, effective on the ice. The Neils of the world. Those people you have to deal with. How much longer will it be Thornton? Is Lucic really worth throwing down with Neil? I say no way.

Martin is in no way a plug. He can play and contribute, and toss knuckles. Evander Kane obviously can as well, at a higher level. Peluso can chuck 'em for sure.

We all know "Bruins hockey", it is their DNA. Don't get thugs just because other teams are, but you cannot ignore what other teams are doing at the same time. I don't want Chara fighting, I don't really want Lucic fighting (although it does help his game from time to time), Thornton is aging (but is still incredible on the team and his craft), and McQuaid needs to get healthy and put on 15 pounds.

Would love to see Martin in a spoked B.

The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 08:59 AM
Fenian24

Agree with Martin, Clifford I have some fear of, as mentioned he was a willing and pretty good fighter till he got destroyed back to back two years ago and hasn't been the same since, which is really too bad.

Mashinter is someone I really like, but is more Greg Campbell than Thornton, a great team guy that will fight and has some talent but is not a good fighter. Would be a nice fourth line guy with Thornton if Paille moves to the third line. Adding him would not help with the Scott's, Orr, McLarens, Parros et all but would be a nice addition. Still need a legit heavyweight in my opinion, a 14th forward that would only see ice time vs select teams but could handle Scott and Orr.

I know the many pacifists here don't agree but take a look at who has been added to the division, many teams league wide are toughening up and figuring out that Rich Clune brings more to the table than Drew Miller.

Besides I enjoy tough hockey with lots of fights and hitting and entertainment and winning are the name of the game.

Fenian24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 03:04 PM
Dtb1381

What about jean francois jacques, he probably has a much talent as a capable HW fighter and is a UFA, he drew with parros and dominated Mclaren until Mclaren landed one big bomb when the refs were coming in

Dtb1381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 01:40 AM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtb1381 View Post
What about jean francois jacques, he probably has a much talent as a capable HW fighter and is a UFA, he drew with parros and dominated Mclaren until Mclaren landed one big bomb when the refs were coming in
He'd actually be a perfect fit.

I always seem to forget how good his numbers are in the AHL... seems like the kind of guy that has enough skill that he could really flourish under Julien.

When was the last time we got an underused secondary heavyweight from Anaheim? Hmmmm....

Great find!
Plus, it would be nice to troll the Habs fans with a frenchie goon playing for Boston, no?

Colt.45Orr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 02:13 AM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

Looked up jean francois jacques and found a video of him fighting forgotten recently traded for Bruin rob flick

I think jean francois jacques has been talked on this board before

Bi Coastal Bawse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 07:31 AM
ODAAT

Of the players this team didn`t re-sign or traded, ONLY Ference is a guy where they lost any toughness/grit. Segs/Pevs weren`t physical, Horton`s physical game has completely evaporated.

The last thing I want this GM to do is make reactionary moves to combat heavyweight signings by opponents.

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 08:10 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Of the players this team didn`t re-sign or traded, ONLY Ference is a guy where they lost any toughness/grit. Segs/Pevs weren`t physical, Horton`s physical game has completely evaporated.

The last thing I want this GM to do is make reactionary moves to combat heavyweight signings by opponents.
Well, you can put that on your "things to not worry about" list because Chiarelli doesn't roll that way.

The Bruins are a tough team. They don't need to add any goons, no more than they needed to call up Anthony Camara to help them against the scarey Penguins.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 08:37 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Well, you can put that on your "things to not worry about" list because Chiarelli doesn't roll that way.

The Bruins are a tough team. They don't need to add any goons, no more than they needed to call up Anthony Camara to help them against the scarey Penguins.
Haha, agreed, thankfully, Chia doesn`t hit the HF site to help him decide roster moves

There are some who just insist that a heavyweight is an absolute necessity, I disagree but...there`s fisticuff tough, then there`s gritty tough, and I have rarely questioned this teams grit. They may not always bring "it" but no sleep lost here when facing a team that has a buncha punchers

Old
07-20-2013, 08:59 AM
WBC8

Quote:
Haha, agreed, thankfully, Chia doesn`t hit the HF site to help him decide roster moves

There are some who just insist that a heavyweight is an absolute necessity, I disagree but...there`s fisticuff tough, then there`s gritty tough, and I have rarely questioned this teams grit. They may not always bring "it" but no sleep lost here when facing a team that has a buncha punchers
Well if its the selectvely tough 2013 Boston Bruins I agree with that...Maybe they will pick and choose this year as well. I wonder how the longer season plays out...lots of travel this year...

Old
07-20-2013, 09:07 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Well if its the selectvely tough 2013 Boston Bruins I agree with that...Maybe they will pick and choose this year as well. I wonder how the longer season plays out...lots of travel this year...
You have now mentioned "selective" on a few posts

Other than an outright goon, show me one player who doesn`t pick their spots. It`s almost a must as so much goes into it. And almost every goon has dropped em with someone that doesn`t typically fight (see Neil vs Seids although Neil not a goon IMO).

I recall the outrage a few years back where the B`s put a beatdown on the Habs and some of their less willing players. I had no problem with it, and I didn`t because when a team is yapping/diving/embellishing, then try and skate away, EVENTUALLY, they get caught, and they get theirs.

I`ve never seen this team back down and cherry pick only those not comfortable dropping the mitts. Heck, Mr. Seguin`s newest team was on the receiving end of a few beatdowns, and it wasn`t the softie players that took their lumps.

There`s being selective ie: is a player going to go after another with that guy being on the tail end of a shift and easier to fight?? THAT, is the stuff that the DB`s out there do, I don`t see that with this team, and I also see this team as being patient and disciplined when another team may try and goat them into the BS stuff (recall how ridiculous Laroque looked chasing Looch around the ice a few years back)

Some here, and everyone on the Hab board called Looch out for it, I had/have no issues with it, I had/have bigger issues with Thornton taking on Scott, I thought it was a complete no win situation, and if he had of said no, I would have been ok with it, I could care less what Sabres fans would have said about it.

How many times has someone on this roster invited an opponent to drop them and they didn`t?? A bloody ton, I`ll say this team turns down the chance to drop them rarely when challenged, but when they do, it`s usually a disciplined move

Old
07-20-2013, 09:24 AM
WBC8

Quote:
You have now mentioned "selective" on a few posts

Other than an outright goon, show me one player who doesn`t pick their spots. It`s almost a must as so much goes into it. And almost every goon has dropped em with someone that doesn`t typically fight (see Neil vs Seids although Neil not a goon IMO).

I recall the outrage a few years back where the B`s put a beatdown on the Habs and some of their less willing players. I had no problem with it, and I didn`t because when a team is yapping/diving/embellishing, then try and skate away, EVENTUALLY, they get caught, and they get theirs.

I`ve never seen this team back down and cherry pick only those not comfortable dropping the mitts. Heck, Mr. Seguin`s newest team was on the receiving end of a few beatdowns, and it wasn`t the softie players that took their lumps.

There`s being selective ie: is a player going to go after another with that guy being on the tail end of a shift and easier to fight?? THAT, is the stuff that the DB`s out there do, I don`t see that with this team, and I also see this team as being patient and disciplined when another team may try and goat them into the BS stuff (recall how ridiculous Laroque looked chasing Looch around the ice a few years back)

Some here, and everyone on the Hab board called Looch out for it, I had/have no issues with it, I had/have bigger issues with Thornton taking on Scott, I thought it was a complete no win situation, and if he had of said no, I would have been ok with it, I could care less what Sabres fans would have said about it.

How many times has someone on this roster invited an opponent to drop them and they didn`t?? A bloody ton, I`ll say this team turns down the chance to drop them rarely when challenged, but when they do, it`s usually a disciplined move
Selective in defending players....after a liberty was taken...I counted 5 vs Buffalo last season,,Two vs New Jersey I saw live when Henrique took at Krejci and Volchenkov elbowed Marchand..,and we did nothing...we used to do it, 100%...maybe it's a particular strategy in a shortened season?