Montreal trades for Parros ---get Thornton some help already

Old
07-20-2013, 09:25 AM
WBC8

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Well, you can put that on your "things to not worry about" list because Chiarelli doesn't roll that way.

The Bruins are a tough team. They don't need to add any goons, no more than they needed to call up Anthony Camara to help them against the scarey Penguins.
Chid did sign Robins for 2 years, no? He's only a phone call away..

WBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 10:09 AM
cashman rules*

Starts and ends with big mac...the other east fighters will crap there pants.

cashman rules* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 10:27 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Selective in defending players....after a liberty was taken...I counted 5 vs Buffalo last season,,Two vs New Jersey I saw live when Henrique took at Krejci and Volchenkov elbowed Marchand..,and we did nothing...we used to do it, 100%...maybe it's a particular strategy in a shortened season?
There are many, many reasons why players may not react the way some fans want them to, and the most common is usually the simplist: they don't see what happened. We as fans watching on TV get the benefit of multiple camera angles, replays, and super slo mo; the players (and coaches) don't. Even the players who are victimized by bad hits often have no idea what happened until afterward, when they get a chance to look at video. When you do see an instant reaction, it's usually when something happens in plain sight.

There are other considerations - do you want to start a fight while clinging to a lead or trying to battle back? Does a teammate need help, or does he want to handle it himself? Has the perpetrator been penalized, and would taking a penalty hurt your team? Marchand, for example, is doing his job if he's got guys irritated enough to elbow him.

Every situation is different, and responses are different. Players can't just blindly drop the gloves when a teammate gets hit or they'd never finish a game.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 10:51 AM
bb_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
You have now mentioned "selective" on a few posts

Other than an outright goon, show me one player who doesn`t pick their spots. It`s almost a must as so much goes into it. And almost every goon has dropped em with someone that doesn`t typically fight (see Neil vs Seids although Neil not a goon IMO).

I recall the outrage a few years back where the B`s put a beatdown on the Habs and some of their less willing players. I had no problem with it, and I didn`t because when a team is yapping/diving/embellishing, then try and skate away, EVENTUALLY, they get caught, and they get theirs.

I`ve never seen this team back down and cherry pick only those not comfortable dropping the mitts. Heck, Mr. Seguin`s newest team was on the receiving end of a few beatdowns, and it wasn`t the softie players that took their lumps.

There`s being selective ie: is a player going to go after another with that guy being on the tail end of a shift and easier to fight?? THAT, is the stuff that the DB`s out there do, I don`t see that with this team, and I also see this team as being patient and disciplined when another team may try and goat them into the BS stuff (recall how ridiculous Laroque looked chasing Looch around the ice a few years back)

Some here, and everyone on the Hab board called Looch out for it, I had/have no issues with it, I had/have bigger issues with Thornton taking on Scott, I thought it was a complete no win situation, and if he had of said no, I would have been ok with it, I could care less what Sabres fans would have said about it.

How many times has someone on this roster invited an opponent to drop them and they didn`t?? A bloody ton, I`ll say this team turns down the chance to drop them rarely when challenged, but when they do, it`s usually a disciplined move
This past season and much of last this rendition of the bruins has been extremely selective and unresponsive.

Your going back to the Dallas game and habd game..... from how long ago?

Hell even there hitting has been 'weak'.

This team has been losing there 'tough to play agaisnt ' image.

This junk about notveanying chia yo be reactionary..... guess what though... the other teams around them have been reacting and toughening up there rosters thru trades signings and drafting.

Why do you think that is? Maybe because they've seen the success the Bruins and some other teams have had by balancing the skill with the physical tough guys.

You can't deny the briibs have been geting away from that.

bb_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 11:02 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan View Post
This past season and much of last this rendition of the bruins has been extremely selective and unresponsive.

This junk about notveanying chia yo be reactionary..... guess what though... the other teams around them have been reacting and toughening up there rosters thru trades signings and drafting.

Why do you think that is? Maybe because they've seen the success the Bruins and some other teams have had by balancing the skill with the physical tough guys.

Words are hard.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 11:12 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:

And yet, they came within two games of winning their second Cup in three years, and are primed for another serious run. Chiarelli must be doing something right.

Old
07-20-2013, 12:29 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
And yet, they came within two games of winning their second Cup in three years, and are primed for another serious run. Chiarelli must be doing something right.
Doesn't mean they aren't still a great team just means they have become spot pickers.

Old
07-20-2013, 12:31 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman rules View Post
Starts and ends with big mac...the other east fighters will crap there pants.
He can't play though...he's awful.

Old
07-20-2013, 12:35 PM
EverettMike

Quote:
Doesn't mean they aren't still a great team just means they have become spot pickers.
I think we will learn that this season. That stupid, truncated season makes it hard to know what was a specific strategy to deal with such a heavy schedule versus what is the new normal.

If they are still picking their spots this season we will know it was more than just a lockout induced necessity/strategy.

EverettMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 12:37 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

Yes all the nay sayers are back. Where will they be when Thornton gets another concussion from a Scott?

Bi Coastal Bawse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 12:40 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
I think we will learn that this season. That stupid, truncated season makes it hard to know what was a specific strategy to deal with such a heavy schedule versus what is the new normal.

If they are still picking their spots this season we will know it was more than just a lockout induced necessity/strategy.
Yeah hoping it was that....thinking it was...losing Ference is tough....never been a bigger stand up Bruin in history then he IMO.

Gut feeling we see a lot more of Bobby Robins then we think.

Old
07-20-2013, 12:50 PM
Bruwinz37

Dont we have hand wringing over this every year?

Like Whammah says we can always call up Robins if we need to throw out someone who will go with anyone, but whether or not we win a fight against John Scott is completely irrelevant in the big picture.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 12:55 PM
DOGSTARMAN

Quote:
Yeah hoping it was that....thinking it was...losing Ference is tough....never been a bigger stand up Bruin in history then he IMO.

Gut feeling we see a lot more of Bobby Robins then we think.
Mm, it's tough to see though. 0 NHL games. He's certainly willing and seems to know how to hang in there against just about everybody (ala Thornton). But... I don't know, it's like the Doug Doull or Jeremy Reich days again if they have to turn to Robbins. I would be happier with somebody with a NHL resume. Speaking of which, why not sign DJ King to an AHL contract? If he never plays in Boston, fine, if he fills in due to injury or shenanigans, he has been there before and knows the job. Before ya laff it off, re-read that, I'm not saying to give him a Boston job, I'm saying add him to the organization and he's way down the bench if needed. He fits the bill of countering the kinds of heavies mentioned in this thread.

DOGSTARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 12:57 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bi Coastal Bawse View Post
Yes all the nay sayers are back. Where will they be when Thornton gets another concussion from a Scott?
EVERY fighter in the NHL loses fights, even Shawn Thornton. And Scott did nothing wrong. He won fairly, no cheap shotting. Thornton himself said there was no need for anyone to "avenge" him, that it was a ridiculous notion.

There isn't a player on the Bruins roster (except possibly Eriksson and Soderberg; I haven't seen them enough to judge) who needs extra protection on the ice. They are all capable of fighting, even if they don't make a habit of it. Teams like the Sabres and Canadiens may need goons to protect their delicate little players; the Bruins don't.

Old
07-20-2013, 01:02 PM
bruinsfan46

This isn't 1975, not every hit in the NHL requires "answering", if that makes the Bruins spot pickers in some people's minds I'm more than fight with that. Even the big, bad Leafs with their heroes McLaren and Orr had to let some hits go. If the players and coaching staff felt they were getting pushed around I'm pretty sure they would address that to Chia and he could do something about it. I see no indication that the players think the team has gone soft. It's a lot easier to want them to fight every time a Bruin gets hit when it's not your face getting punched and you're not the one playing the condensed schedule. This core has been together for years and have always been considered near the toughest in the league. Last year with the shortened schedule the guys had less energy to spend on scrapping and such plus points truly were at a premium. I think they've earned an actual normal season before we say these guys can't take care of themselves.

Last edited by bruinsfan46: 07-20-2013 at 01:21 PM.
bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 01:37 PM
Malt
#wpri12steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eye View Post
...Why not sign DJ King to an AHL contract? If he never plays in Boston, fine, if he fills in due to injury or shenanigans, he has been there before and knows the job. Before ya laff it off, re-read that, I'm not saying to give him a Boston job, I'm saying add him to the organization and he's way down the bench if needed. He fits the bill of countering the kinds of heavies mentioned in this thread.
One reason: King has a bad shoulder and had played very little pro hockey in the past 5 years.

His brother Dwight has turned into a decent player though.

Malt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 01:46 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malt View Post
One reason: King has a bad shoulder and had played very little pro hockey in the past 5 years.

His brother Dwight has turned into a decent player though.
I remember DJ's reign of terror when he first came up to the NHL years ago, was an impressive fighter, too bad he's done though.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 05:58 PM
BklyNBruiN

I stumbled onto this video at NESN. I didn't know the Penguins submitted slow motion video of the Chara Crosby incident to TSN, for which they gladly ran with it. Crosby cried about the physical play.. That just makes me appreciate our Captain Chara even more. I could not stand for our captain if he whined and complained. Go Go!! Can't wait for hockey to start. Its going to be an interesting and fun season, with all the changes and stuff.

I came, I saw, I hit him right there in the jaw. lol

Last edited by BklyNBruiN: 07-20-2013 at 06:33 PM.
BklyNBruiN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 09:16 PM
BadBruins

Best time to grab that 2nd HW is when teams try to sneak them through waivers near the end of training camp. That or extend an invite to someone like Hordichuk, King, Godard, or Shelly (over the hill types). Either way, I wouldn't waste any time or effort trying to attain a dime a dozen hit or miss secondary enforcer.

BadBruins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 04:54 AM
ODAAT

Quote:

Funny, almost every time I watch a game and listen to the pre-game analysis by whomever is broadcasting the game, I hear the PBP/Analyst`s say the same thing, this team is tough to play against. On HF, this team is turning soft.

Some equate tough with scraparoos, this team is clearly moving in the direction of a more skilled/speed game, what other teams do ie: signing a Parros as an example is less about trying to push around another team, and more about having more than one guy on the bench who can actually stand up for his teammates IMO

Personally, I could care less, anyone here dare question the toughness of a Bergy??? Might not be the definition of toughness in many minds here but....a recently successful organization recently has been the Hawks, and for quite some time, the Wings have been regarded highly as well, neither seem too bothered by the lack of a scrapper, or big physical players but I have little doubt both teams aren`t tough

I wonder if toughening up their roster is the answer, because really, what makes this Bruins team tough, and it has for a few years now isn`t the physical nature of their game at times, it`s the fact they have put together a team who can roll out 4 lines and wear other teams down....go ahead, sign your Parros type players, IMO, it won`t make a dent in the success of a team

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 04:58 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
This isn't 1975, not every hit in the NHL requires "answering", if that makes the Bruins spot pickers in some people's minds I'm more than fight with that. Even the big, bad Leafs with their heroes McLaren and Orr had to let some hits go. If the players and coaching staff felt they were getting pushed around I'm pretty sure they would address that to Chia and he could do something about it. I see no indication that the players think the team has gone soft. It's a lot easier to want them to fight every time a Bruin gets hit when it's not your face getting punched and you're not the one playing the condensed schedule. This core has been together for years and have always been considered near the toughest in the league. Last year with the shortened schedule the guys had less energy to spend on scrapping and such plus points truly were at a premium. I think they've earned an actual normal season before we say these guys can't take care of themselves.
This is 2013, and on this board, EVERY hit requires a response

And anytime a hit that some don`t like isn`t responded too, it automatically means this team has

1- gone soft

2- have issues in the room

3- Claude has lost the room

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 06:00 AM
Serpico4ever

The more I think about it, the worse the Jagr trade looks. Not only did the B's lose a first, but they lose two big young bangers, both can play a little and can enforce. Jagr was also the doom of the second line, which was the best line on the team until he was forced onto it.

Its a damn shame they couldn't get MacDermid back in the Seguin trade. I can't think Chia couldn't have forced him in, even if he had to trade the great Jordan Caron or something. I honestly wouldn't care if they moved a more skilled prospect for a guy like Dalton Smith who's playing for CBJ farm.

Fighting and the fourth line are important parts of this team, and the "organizational depth" is sorely lacking in those departments.

Serpico4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 06:38 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Funny, almost every time I watch a game and listen to the pre-game analysis by whomever is broadcasting the game, I hear the PBP/Analyst`s say the same thing, this team is tough to play against. On HF, this team is turning soft.

Some equate tough with scraparoos, this team is clearly moving in the direction of a more skilled/speed game, what other teams do ie: signing a Parros as an example is less about trying to push around another team, and more about having more than one guy on the bench who can actually stand up for his teammates IMO

Personally, I could care less, anyone here dare question the toughness of a Bergy??? Might not be the definition of toughness in many minds here but....a recently successful organization recently has been the Hawks, and for quite some time, the Wings have been regarded highly as well, neither seem too bothered by the lack of a scrapper, or big physical players but I have little doubt both teams aren`t tough

I wonder if toughening up their roster is the answer, because really, what makes this Bruins team tough, and it has for a few years now isn`t the physical nature of their game at times, it`s the fact they have put together a team who can roll out 4 lines and wear other teams down....go ahead, sign your Parros type players, IMO, it won`t make a dent in the success of a team
I like to picture someone asserting to an NHL player that the Bruins are soft and easy to play against, and imagine his response.

Old
07-21-2013, 07:42 AM
EverettMike

I didn't think anything needed to happen in response to the Scott/Thornton fight.

At all.

I don't think the Bruins are soft.

I just think that last season they allowed certain liberties to be taken at times (how often did we complain about Rask being run without a response? Too many). I also think that they tended to be at their toughest when they played teams that couldn't fight back as well. (aka they picked their spots).

As I already said, this might have been a "holy **** we play every other day and 5 times in 7 days strategy." We will see this year. But being tough is not being tough when it is convenient. That is the type of **** we all complain about on here.

And what I am saying has nothing to do with fighting. I do not equate team toughness with fights. I do equate it with responding to physical play and standing up for yourself and your teammates, via taking a hit and continuing to play like it didn't happen, throwing a hit, or, if the need truly arises, punching someone in the face.

EverettMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 10:09 AM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
I didn't think anything needed to happen in response to the Scott/Thornton fight.

At all.

I don't think the Bruins are soft.

I just think that last season they allowed certain liberties to be taken at times (how often did we complain about Rask being run without a response? Too many). I also think that they tended to be at their toughest when they played teams that couldn't fight back as well. (aka they picked their spots).

As I already said, this might have been a "holy **** we play every other day and 5 times in 7 days strategy." We will see this year. But being tough is not being tough when it is convenient. That is the type of **** we all complain about on here.

And what I am saying has nothing to do with fighting. I do not equate team toughness with fights. I do equate it with responding to physical play and standing up for yourself and your teammates, via taking a hit and continuing to play like it didn't happen, throwing a hit, or, if the need truly arises, punching someone in the face.
Solid post. You will still have the folks that live in fantasy land tell you last years bruins team was no different then years past.

Wonder who will step in for Ference this year. Best team guy ever.