HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal trades for Parros ---get Thornton some help already

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-21-2013, 11:45 AM
  #351
Topshelf88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 4,699
vCash: 500
I hope and think last year was an abberation in terms of physical play every night. Last season was not the same at all in that department.

I do think they got much better during the Cup run, but there is also less fighting in the playoffs.

Topshelf88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 02:17 PM
  #352
bb_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: boston
Posts: 10,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
Words are hard.
no but sometimes typing on a cell phone on a msg board can cause some issues.

but hey, great contribution.....

bb_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 02:18 PM
  #353
bb_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: boston
Posts: 10,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
And yet, they came within two games of winning their second Cup in three years, and are primed for another serious run. Chiarelli must be doing something right.
did i say he wasnt?

bb_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 02:21 PM
  #354
bb_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: boston
Posts: 10,428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Funny, almost every time I watch a game and listen to the pre-game analysis by whomever is broadcasting the game, I hear the PBP/Analyst`s say the same thing, this team is tough to play against. On HF, this team is turning soft.

Some equate tough with scraparoos, this team is clearly moving in the direction of a more skilled/speed game, what other teams do ie: signing a Parros as an example is less about trying to push around another team, and more about having more than one guy on the bench who can actually stand up for his teammates IMO

Personally, I could care less, anyone here dare question the toughness of a Bergy??? Might not be the definition of toughness in many minds here but....a recently successful organization recently has been the Hawks, and for quite some time, the Wings have been regarded highly as well, neither seem too bothered by the lack of a scrapper, or big physical players but I have little doubt both teams aren`t tough

I wonder if toughening up their roster is the answer, because really, what makes this Bruins team tough, and it has for a few years now isn`t the physical nature of their game at times, it`s the fact they have put together a team who can roll out 4 lines and wear other teams down....go ahead, sign your Parros type players, IMO, it won`t make a dent in the success of a team
yeah, and those same those same guys still like to perpetuate the image of the broad street bullys and the the Big Bad Bruins.

bb_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 03:16 PM
  #355
ODAAT
Registered User
 
ODAAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan View Post
yeah, and those same those same guys still like to perpetuate the image of the broad street bullys and the the Big Bad Bruins.
yep, and I`ve just never agreed with it, this team plays team tough and will continue to do so. Not worried one bit about other teams going out and signing barely useful players like Parros.

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 04:21 PM
  #356
Bruwinz37
Registered User
 
Bruwinz37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan View Post
no but sometimes typing on a cell phone on a msg board can cause some issues.

but hey, great contribution.....
I think my contribution is better than suggesting we waste roster space on the likes of DJ King.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 10:22 PM
  #357
MJMazzarone
#LGD
 
MJMazzarone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Dover, NJ
Posts: 2,896
vCash: 500
Devils fan coming in peace.

Would any of you be interested in Krys Barch? He's tough like your typical enforcer but has pretty good hockey IQ and vision for your typical goon. If our 4th line wasn't deep enough as is I think he'd get some significant playing time. If you are looking for help against the likes of Parros he'd be your guy.

Realistically I would like to see Cam Janssen gone but considering we just signed him I think a trade is unrealistic to put it lightly...

MJMazzarone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 10:24 PM
  #358
Lobster57
nosdoom
 
Lobster57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMazzarone View Post
Devils fan coming in peace.

Would any of you be interested in Krys Barch? He's tough like your typical enforcer but has pretty good hockey IQ and vision for your typical goon. If our 4th line wasn't deep enough as is I think he'd get some significant playing time.

Realistically I would like to see Cam Janssen gone but considering we just signed him I think a trade is unrealistic to put it lightly...
But then who would Sugar Shawn tune up on every year?

Lobster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 10:28 PM
  #359
MJMazzarone
#LGD
 
MJMazzarone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Dover, NJ
Posts: 2,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster57 View Post
But then who would Sugar Shawn tune up on every year?
Looking at your division? John Scott and Colton Orr come to mind...


(Yes I know NJ isn't in the Atlantic anymore... )

MJMazzarone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 10:47 PM
  #360
Artemis
Took the red pill
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: United States
Posts: 20,860
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMazzarone View Post
Devils fan coming in peace.

Would any of you be interested in Krys Barch? He's tough like your typical enforcer but has pretty good hockey IQ and vision for your typical goon. If our 4th line wasn't deep enough as is I think he'd get some significant playing time. If you are looking for help against the likes of Parros he'd be your guy.

Realistically I would like to see Cam Janssen gone but considering we just signed him I think a trade is unrealistic to put it lightly...
The Bruins aren't looking for anyone. They have one third-line forward spot open, and there'll be an in-house competition for it.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 11:11 PM
  #361
bruinsfan46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMazzarone View Post
Devils fan coming in peace.

Would any of you be interested in Krys Barch? He's tough like your typical enforcer but has pretty good hockey IQ and vision for your typical goon. If our 4th line wasn't deep enough as is I think he'd get some significant playing time. If you are looking for help against the likes of Parros he'd be your guy.

Realistically I would like to see Cam Janssen gone but considering we just signed him I think a trade is unrealistic to put it lightly...
Bad fighter, bad player, bad fit. He would do more harm than good, willing to drop them but gets tuned up too regularly. We got some posters who really hate seeing the Bruins ever lose a fight, can only imagine how a guy like Barch would go over around here. If the Bruins front office did buy into the idea that Thornton needs preservation then theoretically it has to be somebody who can fight as well/better than Thornton (which is a really, really short list) and I don't see Julien ever dressing a Big Mac type of guy.


Last edited by bruinsfan46: 07-21-2013 at 11:31 PM.
bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 11:44 PM
  #362
Serpico4ever
Registered User
 
Serpico4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Brighton, MA
Posts: 1,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Bad fighter, bad player, bad fit. He would do more harm than good, willing to drop them but gets tuned up too regularly. We got some posters who really hate seeing the Bruins ever lose a fight, can only imagine how a guy like Barch would go over around here. If the Bruins front office did buy into the idea that Thornton needs preservation then theoretically it has to be somebody who can fight as well/better than Thornton (which is a really, really short list) and I don't see Julien ever dressing a Big Mac type of guy.
Greg Campbell has yet to win a fight, and everyone loves him if the guys primary job is as a decent energy line winger, and fighting is an ancillary benefit, then I don't think anyone would think twice.. That being said Barch isn't a very good fighter, better than Campbell, but Barch's a middleweight that keeps taking on heavyweights.

Ideally the B's would've gone after Clarkson, but TO decided to back up the Brinks. I agree with most that the B's are fine, although a young tough guy in Providence that's good enough to play at the NHL level would be a nice ace up the sleeve. I do think that Fraser will make the team out of camp and is tough enough to pick up some of the enforcing slack without hurting the team in any way. He's also a very physical player in every other way too.

Serpico4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 11:53 PM
  #363
Lobster57
nosdoom
 
Lobster57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpico4ever View Post
Greg Campbell has yet to win a fight
don't tell Tom Pyatt...

but your point stands

Lobster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 01:14 AM
  #364
Colt.45Orr
Registered User
 
Colt.45Orr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpico4ever View Post
I do think that Fraser will make the team out of camp and is tough enough to pick up some of the enforcing slack without hurting the team in any way. He's also a very physical player in every other way too.
Ugggh, I've tried my best to stay out of this thread but you've said this a few times and I have no idea what you are talking about. I suspect you are under the impression that we picked up Mark Fraser (very tough hombre) and not Matt Fraser.

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 07:07 AM
  #365
Fenian24
Registered User
 
Fenian24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman rules View Post
Starts and ends with big mac...the other east fighters will crap there pants.
Agree 100%. Even if he only plays 15 games a year as the 14th forward would be a great pick up. Can handle Scott and easily take care of anybody Montreal has. Orr could give him a problem but McLaren and Fraser would not.

Fenian24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 07:16 AM
  #366
Fenian24
Registered User
 
Fenian24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
Dont we have hand wringing over this every year?

Like Whammah says we can always call up Robins if we need to throw out someone who will go with anyone, but whether or not we win a fight against John Scott is completely irrelevant in the big picture.
I really don't mean any disrespect and you are more than entitled to your opinion on this matter but I totally disagree.

Going back a few years I think you would always take a guy like Peter Douris as your fourth liner who would bang in 10-12 goals and play soft and not fight where I would take Daren Kimble, who may not score as much but brings a more important element to the fourth line.

Winning also matters, if you are using a fight to fire up your team it's tough to get a lift when your fighter is getting his head kicked in (see Jeff Odger).

I don't think (and certainly don't want) fighting or tough hockey to go away, and believe there will always be a place for intimidation and fighting in the game. Given the choice of being the intimidator or intimidatee I will always pick intimidator

Just my two cents as a long time hockey fan
.


Last edited by Fenian24: 07-22-2013 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Far to early in the morning for proper spelling.
Fenian24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 07:37 AM
  #367
tom nuetten
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenian24 View Post
Agree 100%. Even if he only plays 15 games a year as the 14th forward would be a great pick up. Can handle Scott and easily take care of anybody Montreal has. Orr could give him a problem but McLaren and Fraser would not.
he can´t skate at all, is even in the ahl most time in the press box and if he plays in the nhl (the only reason he does is to fight) he doesn´t fight...

he looked not interested in fighting the last few games he played in the nhl... I would love to have a guy like bordeleau on the team (young hw, that can handle the best (f.ex. mcgrattan), is a great hitter (had some hits the way lucic hits...) and can also play some hockey...

this would be a great guy to have on the team and would be the best replacement if thornton retires

but he signed a 3 year contract with the avalanche...

tom nuetten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 07:45 AM
  #368
ODAAT
Registered User
 
ODAAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenian24 View Post
Agree 100%. Even if he only plays 15 games a year as the 14th forward would be a great pick up. Can handle Scott and easily take care of anybody Montreal has. Orr could give him a problem but McLaren and Fraser would not.
Just not sure why were still talking about Scott like he`s playing 15 minutes a night terrorizing this league??

We laugh at other teams when they have made the call up before a tilt with the B`s bringing up some goon player who can`t take or give a pass, now were talking about "potential" Robbins/"big mac" for 14/15 games for the sole purpose of taking care of anyone Montreal has and handling Scott???

Sorry, Chia doesn`t roll that way, and Robbins is 33 and hasn`t so much as had a sniff of NHL hockey, and there`s a reason for that and 'big mac' is garbage

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 07:51 AM
  #369
Fenian24
Registered User
 
Fenian24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Just not sure why were still talking about Scott like he`s playing 15 minutes a night terrorizing this league??

We laugh at other teams when they have made the call up before a tilt with the B`s bringing up some goon player who can`t take or give a pass, now were talking about "potential" Robbins/"big mac" for 14/15 games for the sole purpose of taking care of anyone Montreal has and handling Scott???

Sorry, Chia doesn`t roll that way, and Robbins is 33 and hasn`t so much as had a sniff of NHL hockey, and there`s a reason for that and 'big mac' is garbage
He's 32, but in no way think Robins is the answer here. See my comments about winning fights, Robins won't win the majority of his fights and what Scott did to Thornton is nothing compared to what he would do to Robins.

Fenian24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 07:58 AM
  #370
ODAAT
Registered User
 
ODAAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenian24 View Post
He's 32, but in no way think Robins is the answer here. See my comments about winning fights, Robins won't win the majority of his fights and what Scott did to Thornton is nothing compared to what he would do to Robins.
I`ll be honest, while I love the tilts, love the rough stuff, I see this game completely moving in the opposite direction and it has been since they took center ice line out and have worked to speed the game up

There will still be a few teams out there who`ll open a spot for a pilon but you`ll see, the clear plan for almost every team is while they will employ a heavy 4th line, or a crashing/bruising 4th line, that line now HAS to be able to play. You can`t have a cap and pay stiffs for 4-5 minutes a night eating valuable cap space.

I also see a very sly and intelligent shift that Chia and Co have put in place for this team down the road. While I believe they always want and will be a team who pushes 4 lines over the board (which in itself makes it hard to play against), those 4 lines will be transitioning from a pretty darn slow lineup as we have watched for a few years now, in favor of a speed/skill game. And not a ton of glove droppers can even keep up.

Alot of mention for the Leafs, their success and a pointing to the Orr/McLaren/Frazer`s for helping the process. I think what those guys did was surely made them tougher, I`m not convinced they are that much of a better team than the one who missed the playoffs for what?? 8-9 years before last year?

We`ll see, full year ahead, men will separate from the boys, and this fan wouldn`t be one bit shocked with the new additions to the Conference if the Leafs are right back to playoff observers next year.

They signed Clarkson, resigned Bozak..........still did nothing to address their incredibly slow D, and their need for a bona fide #1 centerman

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 08:27 AM
  #371
Fire Sweeney
Registered User
 
Fire Sweeney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bergen
Country: Norway
Posts: 23,034
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenian24 View Post
He's 32, but in no way think Robins is the answer here. See my comments about winning fights, Robins won't win the majority of his fights and what Scott did to Thornton is nothing compared to what he would do to Robins.
No kidding, his life would be on the line.

Fire Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 08:35 AM
  #372
RetiredWBC8
Registered User
 
RetiredWBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: My Sweet Adrenaline
Country: United States
Posts: 42,627
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
I`ll be honest, while I love the tilts, love the rough stuff, I see this game completely moving in the opposite direction and it has been since they took center ice line out and have worked to speed the game up

There will still be a few teams out there who`ll open a spot for a pilon but you`ll see, the clear plan for almost every team is while they will employ a heavy 4th line, or a crashing/bruising 4th line, that line now HAS to be able to play. You can`t have a cap and pay stiffs for 4-5 minutes a night eating valuable cap space.

I also see a very sly and intelligent shift that Chia and Co have put in place for this team down the road. While I believe they always want and will be a team who pushes 4 lines over the board (which in itself makes it hard to play against), those 4 lines will be transitioning from a pretty darn slow lineup as we have watched for a few years now, in favor of a speed/skill game. And not a ton of glove droppers can even keep up.

Alot of mention for the Leafs, their success and a pointing to the Orr/McLaren/Frazer`s for helping the process. I think what those guys did was surely made them tougher, I`m not convinced they are that much of a better team than the one who missed the playoffs for what?? 8-9 years before last year?

We`ll see, full year ahead, men will separate from the boys, and this fan wouldn`t be one bit shocked with the new additions to the Conference if the Leafs are right back to playoff observers next year.

They signed Clarkson, resigned Bozak..........still did nothing to address their incredibly slow D, and their need for a bona fide #1 centerman
I disagree....

Just in our division...

Orr and McLaren sign two year deals...

Habs draft results and deal for Parros...

Sabres resign Scott

Sens dealt for Kassian last year...

Bolts resign Crombeen and Labrie...

Other signing like mcGrattan TWO years, 1.5 mil..Bordeleau at 1 mil per..

RetiredWBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 08:35 AM
  #373
Roll 4 Lines
Pastafarian!
 
Roll 4 Lines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: In The Midnight Hour
Country: United States
Posts: 6,974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
I`ll be honest, while I love the tilts, love the rough stuff, I see this game completely moving in the opposite direction and it has been since they took center ice line out and have worked to speed the game up

There will still be a few teams out there who`ll open a spot for a pilon but you`ll see, the clear plan for almost every team is while they will employ a heavy 4th line, or a crashing/bruising 4th line, that line now HAS to be able to play. You can`t have a cap and pay stiffs for 4-5 minutes a night eating valuable cap space.

I also see a very sly and intelligent shift that Chia and Co have put in place for this team down the road. While I believe they always want and will be a team who pushes 4 lines over the board (which in itself makes it hard to play against), those 4 lines will be transitioning from a pretty darn slow lineup as we have watched for a few years now, in favor of a speed/skill game. And not a ton of glove droppers can even keep up.

Alot of mention for the Leafs, their success and a pointing to the Orr/McLaren/Frazer`s for helping the process. I think what those guys did was surely made them tougher, I`m not convinced they are that much of a better team than the one who missed the playoffs for what?? 8-9 years before last year?

We`ll see, full year ahead, men will separate from the boys, and this fan wouldn`t be one bit shocked with the new additions to the Conference if the Leafs are right back to playoff observers next year.

They signed Clarkson, resigned Bozak..........still did nothing to address their incredibly slow D, and their need for a bona fide #1 centerman
Careful Andrew. If you don't think the Bruins need more goons, you're obviously a pacifistic nay-sayer !

One thing that's improved the Leafs IMO is coaching. They are definitely tougher, but Randy Carlyle did a good job making adjustments in Round 1. He got that team to bring it, and they kept their legs moving. They seemed to play better as a team than they had in recent years, at least to my eyes.

As for all the other stuff, like you, I think it's relatively inconsequential, but makes for fun discussions every few months or so.

It does get a little tiring when anybody who even suggests that the Bruins are already tough enough gets labeled a pacifist or told to "go watch soccer or tennis you pansy-azzed candy-pants!"

Anybody who's enough of a Bruins fan or NHL fan to regularly post on HF Boards likes the rough stuff, at least to some extent.

Some people just don't think that George Parros or John Scott are worthy of much consideration at all when it comes to how the Bruins construct their team.

Roll 4 Lines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 11:21 AM
  #374
The Kid
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 168
vCash: 500
Some of the angles in this thread seem off to me.

To pick someone up to deal with Scott or Parros, or Orr or McLaren, doesn't make sense to me. We don't need to square off with them just to do so, like it's some kind of ego contest, or macho contest.

The reason you have to deal with them is because if you do not, the OTHER players on their team will take liberties with yours. Period. That's it. If you cannot deal with their team, you suddenly have Bergy taking an elbow off the noggin. Dougie getting run in the corner on an icing. That is why you get someone.

If players on the other teams can live/hide behind some monster that will clean out anyone you throw at them, you have trouble on your hands over the course of a season.

Thornton stepping into Scott again to hold the line won't prove anything when he gets bashed in again. Do you honestly want Chara going with Scott? Are you kidding me? Or Looch going with Orr? That would be better for those teams than Thornton going!

The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 11:45 AM
  #375
Bruwinz37
Registered User
 
Bruwinz37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenian24 View Post
He's 32, but in no way think Robins is the answer here. See my comments about winning fights, Robins won't win the majority of his fights and what Scott did to Thornton is nothing compared to what he would do to Robins.
Winning or losing the fight means nothing. The fact that you could throw Robbins out there as almost a willing sacrificial lamb would be enough. Guy is tough, he might land a shot or two as well.

Whether Scott wins or loses his fight or whatever else he does in his 2:39 of ice time means nothing.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.