HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal trades for Parros ---get Thornton some help already

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-22-2013, 03:48 PM
  #401
EverettMike
Registered User
 
EverettMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Everett, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 22,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenian24 View Post
Is that why LA added Dan Carcillo , Montreal drafted size and toughness and addedd Parros, Chicago added Theo Peckham and resigned Kyle Beach, San Jose resigned Matt Pelech?

No matter how hard Bettman and David Branch try and listen to the Adam Proteaus of the world, looks like guys that primary purpose is fighting are still kicking around.
Carcillo is a heavyweight? And he can't play at all?

Montreal is a successful team now?

Theo Peckham hasn't played a second for Chicago. Looks like a depth signing. Kyle Beach hasn't played a second of NHL hockey.

Matt Pelech has played 7 career NHL games.

Yeah, they are kicking around. Probably because they have nothing else to do with all that free time they have not being NHL players.

Who is the last Conference winner to consistently hold a roster spot for a pure fighter that offers nothing else? I genuinely don't know.

EverettMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 03:51 PM
  #402
EverettMike
Registered User
 
EverettMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Everett, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 22,109
vCash: 500
Matt Kassian played 15 games for Ottawa last year in the regular season. A 48 game season that saw them decimated by injury.

EverettMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 03:53 PM
  #403
Fenian24
Registered User
 
Fenian24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Rather than comparing the Bruins to the Leafs or Habs who have struggled to make the playoffs in recent seasons, let's set the bar of successful as teams that get into the playoffs every year and sometimes make a run. Teams like Pittsburgh, Chicago, LA and Detroit. The Bruins fought substantially more than all of them last year, just at look Chicago (the one squad to actually defeat Boston in the playoffs) 17 fights last season (compared to Boston's 40) and they just traded away scrappy Dan Carcillo. So what do posters on this board know that Stan Bowman doesn't, that getting tougher is a necessity in the modern NHL? Just curious.
And just added scrappy Theo Peckham and have Brandon Bollig. They also have Kyle Beach in the minors.

Fenian24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 03:54 PM
  #404
Fire Julien
Registered User
 
Fire Julien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bergen
Country: Norway
Posts: 18,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
This is total rubbish. The difference between Toronto and Boston was a game 7 overtime goal.

Also, you are correct in asserting that Toronto and Montreal added enforcers --yet somehow, with those wastes of roster spaces, -- they both turned it around and made the playoffs. Funny, the year before neither team had an enforcer and neither team made the playoffs.

Also, Ottawa didn't add an enforcer? Must be news to 6'5 -235pd Matt Kassian.


Please, folks, don't read too much into this post --just pointing out the gaping holes in the one I am responding to.
Interesting fact: Kassian had more points and a better +/- in the 1st round than Tyler Seguin.

Fire Julien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 04:01 PM
  #405
bruinsfan46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenian24 View Post
And just added scrappy Theo Peckham and have Brandon Bollig. They also have Kyle Beach in the minors.
Peckham was a healthy scratch for the awful Oilers last year, depth guy who starts in the AHL. Had Bollig for years as well as Beach who looks like a mega bust. So try again I guess because that was an awful answer.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 04:05 PM
  #406
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!
 
Roll 4 Lines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bear Country
Country: United States
Posts: 5,849
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
Interesting fact: Kassian had more points and a better +/- in the 1st round than Tyler Seguin.
Proving cleahly that Kassian does naught know how ta pahty!

Roll 4 Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 04:09 PM
  #407
Bruwinz37
Registered User
 
Bruwinz37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 26,937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenian24 View Post
I disagree, a 14th forward at league minimum who is a legit heavy is worth the roster spot and money. If you don't want Lucic/Chare mixing it up with Scott or Orr you dress a 5-8 minute a night heavy for those games. Let Fraser or Knight or whoever play on the fourth against Detroit or Washington to learn the game and see what he can do, when Buffalo, Montreal and Toronto come in dress your heavyweight, help Thornton so he doesn't wear out and then let unnamed heavyweight sit in press box until needed again.
I dont think it is worth the time to worry over it. I think, as a team, we are plenty tough as we are. If Shawn Thornton isnt that HW who can play that you are all screaming for I wonder who you hope is going to be signed.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 04:09 PM
  #408
Fenian24
Registered User
 
Fenian24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Peckham was a healthy scratch for the awful Oilers last year, depth guy who starts in the AHL. Had Bollig for years as well as Beach who looks like a mega bust. So try again I guess because that was an awful answer.
So Bollig playing in the finals and being up all year with Chicago doesn't count because it doesn't meet your agenda? A Bollig type is what the Bruins need, a guy who plays when needed and can fight heavies, doesn't cost a lot and does his job.

But I guess a guy like Rostislav Olesz has more value to his team in your world.

Fenian24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 04:10 PM
  #409
WBC8
Registered User
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: HFL 4 Life
Country: United States
Posts: 36,401
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
Successful teams are moving away from it.
Yeah we'll see...they always seem to stave off elimination somehow... I mean Detroit of all teams drafted Mike McKee 2 years ago, then took two real rugged forwards in round 2...they are definitely a dying breed however...

WBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 04:14 PM
  #410
Bruwinz37
Registered User
 
Bruwinz37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 26,937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
This is total rubbish. The difference between Toronto and Boston was a game 7 overtime goal.

Also, you are correct in asserting that Toronto and Montreal added enforcers --yet somehow, with those wastes of roster spaces, -- they both turned it around and made the playoffs. Funny, the year before neither team had an enforcer and neither team made the playoffs.

Also, Ottawa didn't add an enforcer? Must be news to 6'5 -235pd Matt Kassian.


Please, folks, don't read too much into this post --just pointing out the gaping holes in the one I am responding to.

Colt, do you honestly believe that the difference between Toronto and Boston was just an OT goal? I think as a team and as an organization we are light years better. In fact I think Toronto's infatuation with having goons in the lineup adversely effected their chances to beat us. The way we played that series we had no business winning. They stayed in it due to the play of their young stars...not because of Colton Orr and Frazer McLaren.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 04:15 PM
  #411
Stone Clode
Because I said so!
 
Stone Clode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Swansea, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,841
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
This is total rubbish. The difference between Toronto and Boston was a game 7 overtime goal.

Also, you are correct in asserting that Toronto and Montreal added enforcers --yet somehow, with those wastes of roster spaces, -- they both turned it around and made the playoffs. Funny, the year before neither team had an enforcer and neither team made the playoffs.

Also, Ottawa didn't add an enforcer? Must be news to 6'5 -235pd Matt Kassian.


Please, folks, don't read too much into this post --just pointing out the gaping holes in the one I am responding to.
Right, the addition of Brandon Prust was the ENTIRE reason the Canadiens made the playoffs...not the fact that PK Subban was the best* (we know he didn't, but he DID win the Norris) of his career, Markov was healthy, and Galchenyuk and Gallagher made immediate impacts. And how Gionta and Bourque were hurt as well. But it was all because they added Prust. Right.


And let's be frank about Toronto. That team was completely exposed in Game 7. For what they truly were. They choked. Game 7 OT goal or not, let's see if they return to that form next year, when they have to play a FULL 82 game season. They were good in 2011 til the halfway point as well.

And Matt Kassian played a WHOPPING 20 games for Ottawa between the regular season AND playoffs. Orr played 46 and McLaren played 36. And they weren't a factor in the playoffs anyway. Oh, and Prust played 42. And Scott played 34.


But I'm done cherry-picking. It's stupid anyway. Its a weak cop-out. All I am saying is that those teams performed better because they played better and in general everybody was a lot healthier than the season before. Not because they added enforcers.

Stone Clode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 04:16 PM
  #412
WBC8
Registered User
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: HFL 4 Life
Country: United States
Posts: 36,401
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Funny how you find example after example of goons being resigned, then they are dismissed with "They Suck"...well then why do teams have the urge to resign these types of players? Where have the Pandolfo's and Daugavins signed??

We are talking 14th forward here people....Not a line of Thornton-Kassian-McGrattan...(man, I would kill to see that... HAHA)

WBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 04:18 PM
  #413
EverettMike
Registered User
 
EverettMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Everett, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 22,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Funny how you find example after example of goons being resigned, then they are dismissed with "They Suck"...well then why do teams have the urge to resign these types of players? Where have the Pandolfo's and Daugavins signed??

We are talking 14th forward here people....Not a line of Thornton-Kassian-McGrattan...(man, I would kill to see that... HAHA)
I don't think some people are talking 14th forward stuff. They are talking 12th forward.

And if a guy can play 10 minutes a night, he isn't just a fighter. If you can play a regular shift on the 4th line you are a hockey player.

EverettMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 04:19 PM
  #414
Bruwinz37
Registered User
 
Bruwinz37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 26,937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenian24 View Post
So Bollig playing in the finals and being up all year with Chicago doesn't count because it doesn't meet your agenda? A Bollig type is what the Bruins need, a guy who plays when needed and can fight heavies, doesn't cost a lot and does his job.

But I guess a guy like Rostislav Olesz has more value to his team in your world.
Everyone is fine with a guy like Bollig, but you are getting way off topic here. The argument was we need a major HW to stave off the threat of the immortal John Scott. Bollig is a guy who fights the middleweights of the world. Stay on topic....no one here is saying we dont want guys that can play and fight. In fact we actually have those guys.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 04:20 PM
  #415
EverettMike
Registered User
 
EverettMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Everett, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 22,109
vCash: 500
How many guys in the world can really say they are tougher than Scott on skates?

How many of those guys can do anything else on skates?

Shawn Thornton can hold his own against anyone. Scott hit him with a great punch. **** happens. If you are going to trade punches 15-20 times a year, eventually you are going to get hit with a good one.

EverettMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 04:23 PM
  #416
Bruwinz37
Registered User
 
Bruwinz37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 26,937
vCash: 500
So who is this mystery man who can match up with John Scott and Colton Orr, play 12 mins a night, pop in 10-15 goals.

Maybe we could write a story about the Toe Nash of hockey out in some indy league.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 04:26 PM
  #417
bruinsfan46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenian24 View Post
So Bollig playing in the finals and being up all year with Chicago doesn't count because it doesn't meet your agenda? A Bollig type is what the Bruins need, a guy who plays when needed and can fight heavies, doesn't cost a lot and does his job.

But I guess a guy like Rostislav Olesz has more value to his team in your world.
The Bruins already have a much better version of Bollig in Shawn Thornton. In no way, shape or form does Chicago help your side of the argument, Bruins fought 40 times last season and the Blackhawks fought 17 times. Carcillo out, Peckham who was a healthy scratch on the Oilers and will spend most of his time with Chicago in the AHL barring injuries in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Yeah we'll see...they always seem to stave off elimination somehow... I mean Detroit of all teams drafted Mike McKee 2 years ago, then took two real rugged forwards in round 2...they are definitely a dying breed however...
Bruins have drafted guys like Hargrove, Payne, Sherman and Dempsey. Detroit doesn't really help your argument at all because they're the team that fought the second least in the NHL last year (16 fights) and I don't see Holland making any effort to make his NHL squad tougher next year. And they're playing in Boston's division with feared tough teams like Toronto, Montreal and Buffalo (too bad I can't include Boston in that list anymore, gone soft apparently).

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 04:39 PM
  #418
DOGSTARMAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,971
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
So who is this mystery man who can match up with John Scott and Colton Orr, play 12 mins a night, pop in 10-15 goals.
Sidd Finch!

DOGSTARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 04:40 PM
  #419
Serpico4ever
Registered User
 
Serpico4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Brighton, MA
Posts: 1,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
Ugggh, I've tried my best to stay out of this thread but you've said this a few times and I have no idea what you are talking about. I suspect you are under the impression that we picked up Mark Fraser (very tough hombre) and not Matt Fraser.
Ugggh, I wish you tried harder. I watch a lot of AHL hockey so yeah I know which Fraser we got, do you? You didn't even have to be a Providence or Worcester fan to see him play with no fear last year, and no he didn't back down from anyone he played against, plus he skates pretty well for a big guy. He's not a monster, but he's a good hockey player that isn't gonna be intimidated by the likes of Mclaren, or any other player you're freaking out about. Plus, no ones as unconcerned about the heavies coming into the east as Thornton, he got tuned up by a giant, it happens.

Serpico4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 05:02 PM
  #420
WBC8
Registered User
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: HFL 4 Life
Country: United States
Posts: 36,401
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
The Bruins already have a much better version of Bollig in Shawn Thornton. In no way, shape or form does Chicago help your side of the argument, Bruins fought 40 times last season and the Blackhawks fought 17 times. Carcillo out, Peckham who was a healthy scratch on the Oilers and will spend most of his time with Chicago in the AHL barring injuries in.



Bruins have drafted guys like Hargrove, Payne, Sherman and Dempsey. Detroit doesn't really help your argument at all because they're the team that fought the second least in the NHL last year (16 fights) and I don't see Holland making any effort to make his NHL squad tougher next year. And they're playing in Boston's division with feared tough teams like Toronto, Montreal and Buffalo (too bad I can't include Boston in that list anymore, gone soft apparently).
Just going by his drafts the past two years that's all...and it will be interesting to see if teams try to bully his club by taking liberites what he will do...Toronto and Ottawa bullied Montreal into trying to get bigger with Parros and their 2013 draft...same way Boston did with Buffalo...

Boston is doing a good job in the later rounds with the big kids IMO... I love it..

Boston is not soft...they are selective....

By all means send the 36 year old Thornton out there to fight another 25-30 times...I think his role is more important then just fighting...

Have a dozen games you bump Paille up to line three, sit a kid (I know, how dare me) and roll Robins-Soup-Dangles. Let Bobby have some throw downs.


Last edited by WBC8: 07-22-2013 at 05:10 PM.
WBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 05:07 PM
  #421
Bruwinz37
Registered User
 
Bruwinz37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 26,937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eye View Post
Sidd Finch!
His slap shot has been banned in 4 different leagues because it always breaks glass or breaks an opposing players bone. He also shoots left and right, double shifts, plays D on the PP, kills penalties, and leads the team in fights, goals, assists, +/-, takeaways faceoff %. Just need to find him.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 05:17 PM
  #422
bb_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: boston
Posts: 9,077
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
I think my contribution is better than suggesting we waste roster space on the likes of DJ King.
Words are hard. Great contribution.

That's your opinion. Some of us seem to differ in that regard.

bb_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 05:25 PM
  #423
bb_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: boston
Posts: 9,077
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Sorry, just because other GM`s decide this is the way to go doesn`t make it the way I prefer. Kassian was used how much exactly in the playoffs???

Your entitled to, truth is, none of them would have any impact on a playoff series, especially if any of their respective teams moved forward,all, would have to beg to get a minute of ice time.

All the players you mentioned, if we had em here, in this system, I`ll guarantee would be called out in a week as they can barely play

There was a time, when most teams had 3 guys who`s only job was to drop em. If I owned a company, I don`t want to waste good money on someone who gets paid regardless if they play or not. There best skills are scrapping, and when the playoffs arrive and there is less of it, they are pilons.

Until I see this Bruins team getting manhandled night in and out, I lose not one wink of sleep over the Parros/McGratton signings, bet ya a buckaroo we`ll be posting here after a game against them about just how irrelevant they were

16 pages about this team needing to concern itself about goons on other teams, time for me to hit another thread, adios fans
like they did much of this past shortened season?

bb_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 06:21 PM
  #424
Colt.45Orr
Registered User
 
Colt.45Orr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpico4ever View Post
Ugggh, I wish you tried harder. I watch a lot of AHL hockey so yeah I know which Fraser we got, do you? You didn't even have to be a Providence or Worcester fan to see him play with no fear last year, and no he didn't back down from anyone he played against, plus he skates pretty well for a big guy. He's not a monster, but he's a good hockey player that isn't gonna be intimidated by the likes of Mclaren...
Sure, whatever man; you were talking about Fraser "enforcing" (your words, not mine) and he had 0 fights last year. I like Fraser, I just don't think people need to be mislead into thinking he is something that he isn't.

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 06:26 PM
  #425
Colt.45Orr
Registered User
 
Colt.45Orr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,661
vCash: 500
Some of you in the anti-enforcer crowd are hilarous --whatever it takes to win the argument in your own head, eh?

Now this guy needs to score "10-15 goals", eh?

Last full season Paille had 9 goals, Campbell had 8 and Peverley (who spent time on the 1st line etc) had 11 --yet if we want to bring in a new tough guy for the 4th line he should be able to get 15 or he is a waste of ice, right?

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.