Notices

Montreal trades for Parros ---get Thornton some help already

Old
07-14-2013, 11:34 AM
Colt.45Orr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Detroit's last two drafts have yielded...
Yup.

First off, to compare the Wings and Bruins organization's style of play is ridiculous. Anyone that wants to draw a correlation there is clueless or being intellectually dishonest to try and make a point.

That being said, the Wings will toughen up with the move out East --McKee was an indication that they knew what was coming. They will toughen up now, it may take them a little while to learn their lesson (like the Habs) but they will.

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 11:38 AM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
So when a few people said last summer "We really need to get someone for the Scott's of the world to spare a 35 year old Thornton" we were wrong? How exactly did that work out? Ready to feed a 36 year old Shawny Dangles to the goons of the division again? IMO #22 deserves better...
Yes. We were wrong. We should be spot-pickers and avoid the legit tough guys.

Other teams should fight above their weight class and fight Chara/Lucic but our guys should run away from fights we are not locks to win.

Get it now?

Old
07-14-2013, 11:41 AM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

Who is even still available?

Bi Coastal Bawse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 11:51 AM
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bi Coastal Bawse View Post
You can find a legit heavyweight no problem, as long as you want one.

Its plain to see what the leaf's style of play will be this season. Clarkson and Mclaren re-signed. Boston has to get a designated heavy weight for such games. Not fair to Thornton.

Shoebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 12:06 PM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bi Coastal Bawse View Post
Peluso is the guy to target here; with the Jets moving out West they won't need the extra toughness

Old
07-14-2013, 12:18 PM
qc
#TeamClode

vCash: 69
Paging: Bobby Robins.

He's an intelligent young man, I recommend checking out his blog. He's a better writer than KPD, Haggs, and many others. And I'm being completely serious.

http://www.bobbyrobins.com/

qc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 12:30 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
Yes. We were wrong. We should be spot-pickers and avoid the legit tough guys.

Other teams should fight above their weight class and fight Chara/Lucic but our guys should run away from fights we are not locks to win.

Get it now?
I do indeed ... Big, Bad, Bruins.. (When the other team doesn't hit back of course ).

WBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 12:32 PM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC View Post

He's an intelligent young man, I recommend checking out his blog. He's a better writer than KPD, Haggs, and many others. And I'm being completely serious.

Damned good writer (and fighter). Unlike MacDermid, you could sit him in the pressbox as the 13th forward and not worry about stalling his development. Tough as nails too (as Lone Wolf found out).

Old
07-14-2013, 12:33 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC View Post

I'd like to see him up for a few games you can rest Thornton...

Maybe run a lineup like this every now and then...

Lucic-DK- Iggy
Marchand-Bergeron-Eriksson
Paille-Kelly-Yeti
Robbins-Soup-Thornton

WBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 12:35 PM
BobbyAwe

If we pick up a thug at least make sure he's a right winger

BobbyAwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 02:12 PM
Bullvyne666

Would love to see the Bs get Peluso. If they cannot get him maybe pry Big Stevie MacIntyre from Pitt.

Bullvyne666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 02:32 PM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullvyne666 View Post
Would love to see the Bs get Peluso. If they cannot get him maybe pry Big Stevie MacIntyre from Pitt.
Peluso can play at an NHL level in our system. MacIntyre cannot.

Old
07-14-2013, 02:33 PM
Fat Jughead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
would not be surprised in next April we look over the 82 game stat sheets of Boston and Montreal and see Thornton and Parros not close to a full schedule. Thornton's played late this year and is getting up there- Boston has a bunch of younger players and can see him sharing time and being spotted more. I'm no Parros expert be he always seemed like a very honest player and not a jerk and will play the game as best he can and if someone wants to go he will, but we are not talking John Kordic here.
Yeah, Parros seems like a good dude. I just naturally have to diminish his abilities (without ever having watched him play), just because he's a Hab now. It's reflex at this point. For all I know, he can really skate for a big dude...

But something tells me this isn't regular Chris Neil we're talking about here, where you have to take him off the ice or he'll run around on you disrupting your transition game or something. Just seems like white Georges Laraque. And if I know Montreal, and I think I do; they never ****ing learn their lesson

The Bruins don't need to be fighting guys just for the sake of fighting them. Make Parros impact the actual game and go from there. Otherwise you're just playing right into his and Montreal's hand.

Until obstruction creeps it's way completely back into the game, players like this guy are liabilities out there 95% of the time, and the tend to drag their whole line down with them. The B's shouldn't return the favor, imo. Our 4th line holds a distinct advantage over every other 4th line in the league, and it has little to do with our ability to trade bombs with heavies. That said, we need to find a suitable replacement for Sugar when the time comes. He's a rare breed that 1. Gonna be tough.

Ben Eager has had some concussion issues and got himself sent down to Oklahoma, but maybe he's someone who can recapture his game (Orr style). The guy can really skate, and not just for a big guy. He can move. He was actually a bit of a goal scorer in junior, so he has some ability. Still relatively young (30 I think), so the book may not be closed on him just yet. Nowhere near as defensively responsible as Sugar as far as rotating back and covering for his point. And when he's playing proper Eager, he's pretty undisciplined, but I'd like a guy who can at least get involved on the fore check and handle his responsibility on the back check. Those are pretty much the minimum requirements on this team I think.

Fat Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 02:46 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
So when a few people said last summer "We really need to get someone for the Scott's of the world to spare a 35 year old Thornton" we were wrong? How exactly did that work out? Ready to feed a 36 year old Shawny Dangles to the goons of the division again? IMO #22 deserves better...
Just fine actually, Thornton lost one fight and the team survived no problem in the long run.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 02:53 PM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Just fine actually, Thornton lost one fight and the team survived no problem in the long run.
Our prized rookie Dman took a nasty elbow to the face that could have easily started the concussion train --but nobody wanted to start a brawl with Buffalo anymore so they seemingly decided that Buffalo could do as they wished to them.

Old
07-14-2013, 02:57 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
Our prized rookie Dman took a nasty elbow to the face that could have easily started the concussion train --but nobody wanted to start a brawl with Buffalo anymore so they seemingly decided that Buffalo could do as they wished to them.

http://www.dropyourgloves.com/Fights...=1&Season=2013

Bruins fought 40 times last year, second most in the league. Bruins made it to the Stanley Cup Finals and did not lose to a team that was tougher than them but rather more skilled. Fighting isn't a problem for this team.

Thornton doesn't have many years left and a replacement will need to be found though.

Last edited by bruinsfan46: 07-14-2013 at 03:31 PM.
bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 03:09 PM
JMiller

I'd love to see Thornton retire a Bruin and think the reports of his decline are waaay overplayed- but if they are going to turn him into a player who gets spot duty here and there, why not just deal him? He's a hell of a leader on the bench and in the dressing room, he's tough as nails and I've got to think there are plenty of teams out there that place a premium on that.

What do you think he could get in return and do you think it'd be worth more than a part time 4th liner?

JMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 04:03 PM
BoyntBergie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancourt Fist Pump View Post
Ben Eager has had some concussion issues and got himself sent down to Oklahoma, but maybe he's someone who can recapture his game (Orr style). The guy can really skate, and not just for a big guy. He can move. He was actually a bit of a goal scorer in junior, so he has some ability. Still relatively young (30 I think), so the book may not be closed on him just yet. Nowhere near as defensively responsible as Sugar as far as rotating back and covering for his point. And when he's playing proper Eager, he's pretty undisciplined, but I'd like a guy who can at least get involved on the fore check and handle his responsibility on the back check. Those are pretty much the minimum requirements on this team I think.
I've always been intrigued by Eager as I liked him as a Flyer, but reports on him out of Edmonton were not positive. They brought him in to give their kids a bit more room and by all accounts he did a poor job and wasn't really interested in playing that role anymore.

BoyntBergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 06:54 PM
Fat Jughead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyntBergie View Post
I've always been intrigued by Eager as I liked him as a Flyer, but reports on him out of Edmonton were not positive. They brought him in to give their kids a bit more room and by all accounts he did a poor job and wasn't really interested in playing that role anymore.
Yeah, he was not impressive. I'm attributing that to the concussion problems he's had. There was definitely something wrong with him. I wouldn't want him unless he could demonstrate that he was good to go out and play his old game. He might be able to play hockey, but not so well that he can play the way he played in Edmonton.

Time will tell with Ben, and he's not that old. He may still be worth a look for what it would cost to get em. His value is definitely at an all time low right now.

Fat Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 10:53 PM
Twisted Tales
H.A.M.

vCash: 2598
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
http://www.dropyourgloves.com/Fights...=1&Season=2013

Bruins fought 40 times last year, second most in the league. Bruins made it to the Stanley Cup Finals and did not lose to a team that was tougher than them but rather more skilled. Fighting isn't a problem for this team.

Thornton doesn't have many years left and a replacement will need to be found though.
Bobby Robbins

Twisted Tales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 11:57 PM
Dellstrom
Pastrnasty

vCash: 1150
Agreed, if you want to play Robbins over Thornton for a couple of games you'll have no problem there. Guy can throw.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 12:12 AM
Shaun

Jon Mirasty

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 12:16 AM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Jon Mirasty
...is nowhere near being able to handle a shift in the NHL.

Old
07-15-2013, 12:22 AM
Colt.45Orr

One thing I'll say about Robins (just one 'b' folks) is that he is a devastating hitter. Mainly clean, most of the time. Anybody that can hurt Ulfie's kid with a clean hit is OK with me. Other than that, he reminds me of Doug Doull in some ways.

Screw the fighting, I'd bringing him up just for his pounding, punishing hitting game. Every Leafs game the plan will be to have their big boys run Chara, I'm all for having Robins run Phaneuf all game in return.

Old
07-15-2013, 07:19 AM
Fenian24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullvyne666 View Post
Boy would i love to see big Stevie Mac in a Boston uniform. Even if he didnt dress every game.
Totally agree, even if Steve is the 14th forward he would be a great asset vs Montreal, Buffalo and Toronto. It would also be fun to dress against Detroit and watch them run like the team of gutless midgets they are.

Fenian24 is online now   Reply With Quote