Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal trades for Parros ---get Thornton some help already

Old
07-15-2013, 11:25 AM
SPV
Zoinks!

vCash: 500
after looking at Anthony Peluso, I think he's the right guy. Young enough that he could turn into a contributing fourth liner, big enough and tough enough that he can hang with the big guys. Maybe a straight up swap of young RFAs with Jordan Caron?

SPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 11:27 AM
CamFan81
HF Snob Agitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid View Post
Boston:
Thornton
Lucic
McQuaid
Chara

I really don't see the issue. Lucic is the toughest kid in the league and can fight anyone and rarely loses. Thornton can hold his own against the heavies. He will also never fight Parros and vice versa. McQuaid will give a solid go to any middle weights and Chara can stand with anyone until he loses his balance. I see no point in signing a 4th line goon that will play 3 minutes and screw up our system of running 4 lines.

Bruins are successful because we have 4 lines and run them all. A 4th line, 3 minute goon is of no use to this team. John Scott can't fight anyone if noone accepts his challenge for the 3 minutes in the first period he is actually on the ice. Ignore him.

CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 11:28 AM
Bi Coastal Bawse*

I like how people didn't read my whole post.

Bi Coastal Bawse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 11:31 AM
bb_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
I'd love to see Thornton retire a Bruin and think the reports of his decline are waaay overplayed- but if they are going to turn him into a player who gets spot duty here and there, why not just deal him? He's a hell of a leader on the bench and in the dressing room, he's tough as nails and I've got to think there are plenty of teams out there that place a premium on that.

What do you think he could get in return and do you think it'd be worth more than a part time 4th liner?
he's worth more to the team in the locker room than anything they would probably get in return for him.

to me you don't deal him at all.

bb_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 11:33 AM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan View Post
he's worth more to the team in the locker room than anything they would probably get in return for him.

Agreed --which I why I would like to preserve him until the playoffs.... ie. a main point of this thread.

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 11:33 AM
bb_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
Peluso can play at an NHL level in our system. MacIntyre cannot.
exactly.

and If were chia, I would over pay a bit to pry him out.

having a guy that can play and not be a liability is key, even if its costs a bit more than it should.

Old
07-15-2013, 11:34 AM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

Fwiw, Georges Laraque was on TSN690 in Montreal and said he doesn't think that Parros scares anybody anymore. He also said Lucic would beat Parros in a fight. He said Lucic is a finisher,Parros is a wrestler.

I would love to get tougher....but it won't happen.

Central Scrutinizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 11:39 AM
bb_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Night in and night out?

I don't think Thornton's fighting THAT much.

IMHO this is a problem that doesn't exist. I'd like every good young player on the Bruins to step up if need be. I don't see the point of signing a knuckle-dragger who can barely play. If teams like Montreal or Buffalo want to do so, fine. Boston doesn't have to.
guess you missing the point of the thread as most people seem to want to add someone who can play and fight the heavy weights.

but hey, keep up the over the top hyperbole if you like.

Old
07-15-2013, 12:01 PM
Seidenbergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan View Post

Quote:
Agreed --which I why I would like to preserve him until the playoffs.... ie. a main point of this thread.
Preserve him until the playoffs? Why?

1. There's essentially no fighting in the playoffs.
2. Claude sat him down pretty much the entire 3rd period of every close game during the playoffs and cut his minutes even more than he does in the regular season.

May as well make him a coach or a healthy scratch every game if all you want out of him is his off-the-ice influence.

Seidenbergy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 12:06 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*

Future HW?

Old
07-15-2013, 12:35 PM
bruinsfan1972

I'd like to know which monster heavyweights are currently being employed by teams who actually win the cup. Who is Detroits' 6'8" 270 guy who plays 12 min a game? Pitts? Chicago? LA? Stl? So many people here worried about a fight that happens for 20 seconds, 15 times out of 82 games. Maybe if we were a bottom feeder team who's only ego-claim was that our worst player beat up another teams' worst player you guys would be happy. When did John Scott or Colton Orr take his team to the cup or even have any miniscule impact on any type of positive result for their team? Never. Some people need to get their priorities straight. If meat-heads pounding on faces is what entertains you, then there's probably a Jr. B or ECHL team in your area you might enjoy more.

Thornton makes a difference, he can play regular shifts against the best teams in this league and is effective at it. Look at the last goal John Scott or Trevor Gillies has scored...years ago. You want that on a cup team? No.

bruinsfan1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 01:16 PM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan1972 View Post
I'd like to know which monster heavyweights are currently being employed by teams who actually win the cup. Who is Detroits' 6'8" 270 guy who plays 12 min a game? Pitts? Chicago? LA? Stl? So many people here worried about a fight that happens for 20 seconds, 15 times out of 82 games. Maybe if we were a bottom feeder team who's only ego-claim was that our worst player beat up another teams' worst player you guys would be happy. When did John Scott or Colton Orr take his team to the cup or even have any miniscule impact on any type of positive result for their team? Never. Some people need to get their priorities straight. If meat-heads pounding on faces is what entertains you, then there's probably a Jr. B or ECHL team in your area you might enjoy more.

Thornton makes a difference, he can play regular shifts against the best teams in this league and is effective at it. Look at the last goal John Scott or Trevor Gillies has scored...years ago. You want that on a cup team? No.
Detroit: Why are you putting them on a pedestal above the Bruins? We've been to the Cup finals 2x since they last time they were.

Pittsburgh: Glass and Engelland (who can hang with anyone)

Chicago: Bollig (Joe Q had Scott for a time period til Bollig was ready)

St. Louis:
Reaves --plus why are we using St. Louis as an example of a "Cup team"? Last Cup was...

LA: Their 4th line (combo of King, Nolan and Clifford) is much bigger and tougher than our 4th line.

Anyway, who said anything about wanting a "6'8 -270pd" 1-dimensional freak on the team? Nobody.

I think we all (well, most of us) want a big, young(ish) fourth line presence that can crush people with hits and take fights away from people who can beat on Thornton and are looking for Chara or Lucic.

Ultimately, I'd love a younger, cheaper version of Chris Neil: a punishing hitter who can own the boards and hang with anyone in the league if push comes to shove. I think Peluso has potential to develop into that kind of guy (with less scoring touch). I'd pass on Scott or Gillies etc. 100 out of 100 times.

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 01:47 PM
bruinsfan1972

Quote:
Detroit: Why are you putting them on a pedestal above the Bruins? We've been to the Cup finals 2x since they last time they were.

St. Louis:
Reaves --plus why are we using St. Louis as an example of a "Cup team"? Last Cup was...

LA: Their 4th line (combo of King, Nolan and Clifford) is much bigger and tougher than our 4th line.

Anyway, who said anything about wanting a "6'8 -270pd" 1-dimensional freak on the team? Nobody.

I think we all (well, most of us) want a big, young(ish) fourth line presence that can crush people with hits and take fights away from people who can beat on Thornton and are looking for Chara or Lucic.

Ultimately, I'd love a younger, cheaper version of Chris Neil: a punishing hitter who can own the boards and hang with anyone in the league if push comes to shove. I think Peluso has potential to develop into that kind of guy (with less scoring touch). I'd pass on Scott or Gillies etc. 100 out of 100 times.
Detroit: Yes, we have been to the Finals twice since they've won: With Shawn Thornton. They're also a conference final team who were 1 goal away from facing us in the finals, so I'd say they belong in the conversation.

I could go on to the other teams, but I don't have all day. Basically your earlier argument was that Thornton isn't tough enough to compete with the new brand of tough guys in our division, but now you're saying that you don't want a tough guy like the tough guys in our division. Which is it?

My argument is that we don't need to replace Thornton with a caveman, because the elite teams in this league, including ourselves are making SC runs without one. We have the ability to roll out 4 lines at any given time...you add Parros or some of the other scrubs to the lineup to replace him and you've taken away that ability and effectiveness entirely.

bruinsfan1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 01:53 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*

I don't see how hard it is for some of you to grasp. No one is saying bring in someone to replace Shawn Thornton. We're saying to bring in someone bigger who can take the bigger guys so Shawn doesn't have to.

But ok have Shawn take on the Scott's of the world and get concussed again so that team can then have their way with the Bs and maybe injure one of our core players.

Old
07-15-2013, 02:20 PM
CamFan81
HF Snob Agitator

IF Thornton can handle Boogaard, he can handle anyone else...

But get this people, ready... wait for it... FIGHTERS LOSE FIGHTS.

Its life. IF and WHEN shawn cant do his primary role as an enforcer, don't ADD to the position. Replace it.

I seen some upset that we didn't ink McGrattan a ways back and only use him for "special games". What makes you think he was going to take a 2way deal for the rest of his career when he has an agent fielding calls for a full time gig?

I love the guy, and he's ****ing scary, but I'm not interested wasting a roster spot on a plug that might see 6 - 10 games a year 4minutes a shot. Way to make your Enforcer feel like a toolbox by hiring some added help.

The bruins are a 4line team. Its their makeup. Not gonna change it because some don't think Shawn can't hang with the heavies.

Old
07-15-2013, 02:27 PM
SPV
Zoinks!

another way to look at it for those that just don't seem to follow what people are asking for... Shawn Thornton is 36, and on the last year of his contract. There is a good likelihood that this could be his last season in Boston. Bringing in a 23 year old like Anthony Peluso will give us a replacement going forward, in addition to being of assistance this year as a 13th forward.

SPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 02:44 PM
Seidenbergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bi Coastal Bawse View Post
I don't see how hard it is for some of you to grasp. No one is saying bring in someone to replace Shawn Thornton. We're saying to bring in someone bigger who can take the bigger guys so Shawn doesn't have to.
oh really

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamFan81 View Post
IF and WHEN shawn cant do his primary role as an enforcer, don't ADD to the position. Replace it.

Seidenbergy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 02:46 PM
Fire Sweeney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
Fwiw, Georges Laraque was on TSN690 in Montreal and said he doesn't think that Parros scares anybody anymore. He also said Lucic would beat Parros in a fight. He said Lucic is a finisher,Parros is a wrestler.

I would love to get tougher....but it won't happen.
Georges is right, unfortunately I don't think we'll see Lucic go with Parros, Orr or Scott anytime soon.

Fire Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 03:00 PM
Roll 4 Lines
Pastafarian!

[QUOTE=Bi Coastal Bawse;69234905]I don't see how hard it is for some of you to grasp. No one is saying bring in someone to replace Shawn Thornton. We're saying to bring in someone bigger who can take the bigger guys so Shawn doesn't have to.

But ok have Shawn take on the Scott's of the world and get concussed again so that team can then have their way with the Bs and maybe injure one of our core players.[/QUOTE]

Not sure what you mean by this. I haven't seen anything suggested in this thread that could possibly prevent this.

Roll 4 Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 03:48 PM
CamFan81
HF Snob Agitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuukka Time View Post
oh really
BIG DIFFERENCE.
I'm not saying Shawn can't do his job. Because he can against anyone.

Old
07-15-2013, 03:58 PM
BlacknGold Barbarino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bi Coastal Bawse View Post

But ok have Shawn take on the Scott's of the world and get concussed again so that team can then have their way with the Bs and maybe injure one of our core players.
I think the main issue here is you're rarely going to see a team field a Thornton-type and another enforcer at the same time. If there's a dedicated fighter on the roster other than Thornton, it's because Thornton is either hurt or no longer a Bruin. It's either Thornton or another enforcer, not Thornton and another enforcer. If it's reached the point where you need a goon to protect your goon, something's wrong.

BlacknGold Barbarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 04:27 PM
WBC8

Summer 2012...."Bruins should bring in some help for Thornton..thugs like Orr and Scott are back in, and it's not ideal to have him do all the heavy lifting"

90% of the board..."No way, no help needed, Thornton could probably even take Scott"..

January 31st, 2013...

You were saying? Now he's a year older...

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 05:09 PM
bb_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuukka Time View Post
Preserve him until the playoffs? Why?

1. There's essentially no fighting in the playoffs.
2. Claude sat him down pretty much the entire 3rd period of every close game during the playoffs and cut his minutes even more than he does in the regular season.

May as well make him a coach or a healthy scratch every game if all you want out of him is his off-the-ice influence.
that was on Claude as to why he sat him as much as he did, especially in those long games.

he's not a liability on the ice. He's a very effective 4th liner who can play.

he's also a heart sole type of guy for the team. so when theres no fighting in the playoffs, he still brings a lot to the table for the team.

ask Clode that.

and while at your at it, ask him why he had Chara and Jagr on the point on the PP at the same time so much... talk about a short handed goal waiting to happen....

Old
07-15-2013, 05:16 PM
bb_fan

Quote:

St. Louis:

I really don't get why this is so hard for so many people here to grasp.

most people here advocating for a heavy weight type of guy for the 4th line aren't looking for the 'irresponsible knuckle dragger' 'or the 6-8 270lb one dimensional freak' or staged goon.....

Christ, we have the assets to expend to get a big guy that cant fight and not be 1:30 sec per game plug who cant do anything else.

as has been pointed out, there are plenty of big guys in the AHL and other leagues that can fight and do nothing else.

I think most people here are looking for the big guy that can fight and be an effective 4th liner.....

Old
07-15-2013, 05:47 PM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Summer 2012...."Bruins should bring in some help for Thornton..thugs like Orr and Scott are back in, and it's not ideal to have him do all the heavy lifting"

90% of the board..."No way, no help needed, Thornton could probably even take Scott"..

January 31st, 2013...

You were saying? Now he's a year older...
When Scott lost to McLaren...or was it Frazer,Did the Sabres get anybody to help out Scott?

All fighters lose some, and all fighters look bad from time to time. Thornton has won many more than he has lost, and he rarely looks bad.....but his worst losses were against Scott and Kassian.

I would like for the Bruins to have a Goon that pretty much can handle anybody in the league, but we won't see it.

Central Scrutinizer is offline   Reply With Quote