Notices

Montreal trades for Parros ---get Thornton some help already

Old
07-15-2013, 05:51 PM
bruinsfan46

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Summer 2012...."Bruins should bring in some help for Thornton..thugs like Orr and Scott are back in, and it's not ideal to have him do all the heavy lifting"

90% of the board..."No way, no help needed, Thornton could probably even take Scott"..

January 31st, 2013...

You were saying? Now he's a year older...
Thornton lost one fight and the team survived just fine in the long run. You and Colt make a problem that just isn't there. The team isn't gonna lose more games or suffer catastrophic injuries because they don't fight Frazer McLaren and John Scott every time they touch the ice. Why are the Bruins making changes based off of a guy making under a million bucks on a bad hockey team (John Scott)? Why is that a good idea exactly? This prison yard mentality of yours isn't the norm or necessary in the NHL in 2013.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 06:01 PM
Ogrim

Like the idea to acquire Peluso.
The two Tony's on 4th line in 2014 would be pretty, pretty neat.

Ogrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 06:16 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfan View Post
I don't consider Shawn a goon.

He plays hockey too.
How can a guy play on the 4th line, get little ice time, have as many fights as anyone in the league and 90% of the fight are of the "agreement" type, not be a goon?

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 06:20 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrim View Post
Like the idea to acquire Peluso.
The two Tony's on 4th line in 2014 would be pretty, pretty neat.
I would love to have Peluso in the organization, wonder what the cost would be.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 06:23 PM
bruinsfan1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan View Post
I really don't get why this is so hard for so many people here to grasp.

most people here advocating for a heavy weight type of guy for the 4th line aren't looking for the 'irresponsible knuckle dragger' 'or the 6-8 270lb one dimensional freak' or staged goon.....

Christ, we have the assets to expend to get a big guy that cant fight and not be 1:30 sec per game plug who cant do anything else.

as has been pointed out, there are plenty of big guys in the AHL and other leagues that can fight and do nothing else.

I think most people here are looking for the big guy that can fight and be an effective 4th liner.....
Ok, I'll bite. Please list for me a few of the available players that can fight better than Shawn Thornton AND play 10-14 effective minutes against other good teams. I'm drawing a blank.

Sounds like you want change for the sake of change. We have one of the most effective enforcers that any good team would want playing on their 4th line and you want to replace him with some mystery heavyweight sniper...please give me a few names.

bruinsfan1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 06:30 PM
LouJersey

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan1972 View Post
Ok, I'll bite. Please list for me a few of the available players that can fight better than Shawn Thornton AND play 10-14 effective minutes against other good teams. I'm drawing a blank.

Sounds like you want change for the sake of change. We have one of the most effective enforcers that any good team would want playing on their 4th line and you want to replace him with some mystery heavyweight sniper...please give me a few names.
Thornton averages 8 min a game. Why do we need a guy 10-14 min per?

LouJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 06:34 PM
LouJersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Thornton lost one fight and the team survived just fine in the long run. You and Colt make a problem that just isn't there. The team isn't gonna lose more games or suffer catastrophic injuries because they don't fight Frazer McLaren and John Scott every time they touch the ice. Why are the Bruins making changes based off of a guy making under a million bucks on a bad hockey team (John Scott)? Why is that a good idea exactly? This prison yard mentality of yours isn't the norm or necessary in the NHL in 2013.
This is about Shawn Thornton preservation....guy is a very useful player and team leader. He is 36 years old. It's about bringing someone else in to do some of the heavy lifting from time to time. It has nothing to do with making the team better or worse, nothing to do with wins and losses. Not sure why so many are so against a heavyweight as your 14 th forward instead of a Jay Pandolfo type, or Kaspars Daugavins type...

I'm not saying dress Thornton and another heavy 82 games a year... I'm saying spell Thornton every now and then, and for maybe a half dozen games a year, dress both...

Old
07-15-2013, 06:36 PM
bruinsfan1972

Quote:
Thornton averages 8 min a game. Why do we need a guy 10-14 min per?
Sorry, please alter your list to include players that play ~8min a game and maintain the same criteria as I had listed before. Thanks for the clarification Cam

Old
07-15-2013, 06:41 PM
bruinsfan1972

Quote:
This is about Shawn Thornton preservation....guy is a very useful player and team leader. He is 36 years old. It's about bringing someone else in to do some of the heavy lifting from time to time. It has nothing to do with making the team better or worse, nothing to do with wins and losses. Not sure why so many are so against a heavyweight as your 14 th forward instead of a Jay Pandolfo type, or Kaspars Daugavins type...

I'm not saying dress Thornton and another heavy 82 games a year... I'm saying spell Thornton every now and then, and for maybe a half dozen games a year, dress both...
OR we could just go with status quo - which is division titles and conference championships and a few lost fights. Oh, and a cup...don't want to forget about that. I don't know the last time that having depth at the beastly enforcer position was a position of strength for a contender, but maybe the new CBA has brought some changes with it.

Old
07-15-2013, 06:46 PM
LouJersey

Quote:
OR we could just go with status quo - which is division titles and conference championships and a few lost fights. Oh, and a cup...don't want to forget about that. I don't know the last time that having depth at the beastly enforcer position was a position of strength for a contender, but maybe the new CBA has brought some changes with it.
Certainly can and more then likely will...Hope Thornton can hold up...He's a great leader and 4th line player...like I said, we are talking about a 14th forward here...no biggie...Bruins were very successful last year ducking the new heavyweights in the division, and I'm sure it will be easy to do again this season...you don't get goals for fighting, no way to deny that...

Again, wasn't talking about blowing up this championship caliber team, just 14th forward..minor details..

Old
07-15-2013, 06:49 PM
Ogrim

Quote:
If you want status quo you should probably look for another enforcer that can play 8-10 minutes. Because Thornton is aging.
What don't you understand?

Ogrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 06:55 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*

Its funny that some people just aren't getting what we're saying.

Bi Coastal Bawse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 07:24 PM
Roll 4 Lines
Pastafarian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bi Coastal Bawse View Post
Well, I get that people want to add a 14th forward who can fight, as opposed to Pandolfo or Dawg man.

What I don't get is where you said that if Thornton gets concussed, and the B's don't have another goon, then teams will run around and possibly injure the Bruins core players.

I asked how having another goon on the bench, or more accurately, in the press box would prevent anyone from injuring a core player.

Roll 4 Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 07:29 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*

I was being sarcastic...........

But like its been said by myself and I believe colt or caballo just look at the games last year against Buffalo the Bruins were neutered. Sabres kept running our goalies and head shotted Dougie and the team didn't reply.

It's not fair for Shawn at 36 to be expected to always answer the Orrs and Scotts of the world. Yes it's hist job to fight but he is also a good player AND a leader.

In the system we have

Mitchell Dempsey 6'3
Anthony Camara 6'0
Bobby Robins 6'2

Maybe Shawn re-signs after this year and mentors one of them. But a guy who can fight and take up a few minutes a game and take on the Orrs and Scotts of the world wouldn't be the end of the world.

Bi Coastal Bawse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 07:43 PM
bruinsfan1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
One thing I'll say about Robins (just one 'b' folks) is that he is a devastating hitter. Mainly clean, most of the time. Anybody that can hurt Ulfie's kid with a clean hit is OK with me. Other than that, he reminds me of Doug Doull in some ways.

Screw the fighting, I'd bringing him up just for his pounding, punishing hitting game. Every Leafs game the plan will be to have their big boys run Chara, I'm all for having Robins run Phaneuf all game in return.
I'm good with this. Case closed?

Old
07-15-2013, 07:45 PM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
I'm good with this. Case closed?
sounds good to me, bud

Colt.45Orr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 07:48 PM
Roll 4 Lines
Pastafarian!

Quote:
I was being sarcastic...........

But like its been said by myself and I believe colt or caballo just look at the games last year against Buffalo the Bruins were neutered. Sabres kept running our goalies and head shotted Dougie and the team didn't reply.

It's not fair for Shawn at 36 to be expected to always answer the Orrs and Scotts of the world. Yes it's hist job to fight but he is also a good player AND a leader.

In the system we have

Mitchell Dempsey 6'3
Anthony Camara 6'0
Bobby Robins 6'2

Maybe Shawn re-signs after this year and mentors one of them. But a guy who can fight and take up a few minutes a game and take on the Orrs and Scotts of the world wouldn't be the end of the world.
I agree with the bolded, and I understand Shawn's getting on in years, and this may even be his last year in Boston.

I kinda think "Montreal got Parros, Thornton needs help!" might be a little over the top. If the Bruins are really giving an ounce of thought to Parros being in Montreal, they're gonna have serious issues, cuz it's really a non issue.

As for the Bruins being neutered against Buffalo, I thought they've looked neutered in about 75% of the games over the last 2 years, but it's not because they need another goon. To my eyes it's because one team regularly out-skates and out-hits the other team, and until early May, it was rarely Boston doing the out-skating and out-hitting.

And I strongly doubt that elbow to Dougie that nobody on the ice saw, including 4 officials, one of whom was looking right at it, was really the result of anyone saying to themselves "Hey look, this kid's jaw is right in my wheelhouse, and they don't even have a goon on the bench. This is my perfect opportunity to clock him one, and I won't even have to trade punches with anyone."

Although I will admit, he had almost 1/2 a second for him to ponder such eventualities.

Roll 4 Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 08:49 PM
yohan1212

The problem with the Scott-thornton fight was the response...If thornton fights scott 10 times, that's probably the worst he would lose. After that we should have gone up and down buffalo's lineup..... Lucic, chara, mcquaid etc. force the rest of the midgets to fight.. that puts an end to that.

yohan1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:01 PM
BruinDust

Does anyone think that Bobby Robins has a shot at making the Boston Bruins this year as the 14th forward?

He led the AHL in PIMs last season, makes near the league minimum(600k), is signed for two years. He could play in place of or with Thornton against the John Scotts of the world on the 4th line. Seems like he's a good teammate and gives it his all every game. He even fought during last seasons inter-squad game. Love what Thornton brings but I agree it's time to get him some help.

BruinDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 09:38 PM
ps241
.915 please Steve

vCash: 50
Jets fan here.

We picked up Peluso off waivers last year and the book on him coming in from the Blues fans was that for his role he was a decent hockey player and a very good fighter. His historic scoring stats were a bit low but then we found out he was a converted D man so it made sense. Due to the shortened season he rode sat in the press box after being picked up but when he got his shot he made the best of it and he had a 2 point game on our 3rd line one night. He is a good skater and has some hockey sense but our sample size was pretty small before he broke his hand.

Not sure what Chevy's plans are for Anthony but he fit in well and was a good teammate. One other interesting fact was Peluso was very involved in helping save redmond's life last season.

From the Winnipeg sun article:

Jets forward Anthony Peluso played an important role as well, though he was quick to downplay it when asked for his perspective.

Peluso was actually laying in the pool of blood and holding Redmond’s leg while trying to push the cut closed as best he could.

“The first thing I thought of was to drop my gloves, grab a towel and get in there as fast as I can and try to stop what was happening,” said Peluso, noting he had no prior experience in the medical field except for occasionally being accident-prone as a youngster. “I didn’t think about (the blood) at the time. For your teammate, you just try to do everything you can for him.”

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 10:02 PM
bb_fan

Quote:

Change for the sake of change?

Mystery heavyweight sniper?

Again with the irrelevant sarcastic hyperbole.

And no where did I say replace Thornton.

But do you really think he's got another 3-4 years left? I don't

Do you want you see him gong IP against all the true 'heavy weights' in the div now?

Posts like yours are just annoying.

bb_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 10:03 PM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Jets fan here.

We picked up Peluso off waivers last year and the book on him coming in from the Blues fans was that for his role he was a decent hockey player and a very good fighter. His historic scoring stats were a bit low but then we found out he was a converted D man so it made sense. Due to the shortened season he rode sat in the press box after being picked up but when he got his shot he made the best of it and he had a 2 point game on our 3rd line one night. He is a good skater and has some hockey sense but our sample size was pretty small before he broke his hand.

Not sure what Chevy's plans are for Anthony but he fit in well and was a good teammate. One other interesting fact was Peluso was very involved in helping save redmond's life last season.

From the Winnipeg sun article:

Jets forward Anthony Peluso played an important role as well, though he was quick to downplay it when asked for his perspective.

Peluso was actually laying in the pool of blood and holding Redmond’s leg while trying to push the cut closed as best he could.

“The first thing I thought of was to drop my gloves, grab a towel and get in there as fast as I can and try to stop what was happening,” said Peluso, noting he had no prior experience in the medical field except for occasionally being accident-prone as a youngster. “I didn’t think about (the blood) at the time. For your teammate, you just try to do everything you can for him.”
Thanks for the info -- I only target the best!

You guys still have Thorburn, right?

Colt.45Orr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 06:52 AM
Fenian24

Quote:
That's because they are anti fighting and want the Bruins to look like the Red Wings or Devils. Mention having a fighter on the team and they start screaming to bring back Mariusz Czerkawski, he won't goon it up and brings all kinds of talent and is so much more important than a thug.

Bottom line is Thornton needs help, he is 37 years old and fighting bigger and younger guys. The best pure fighter the Bruins have in the system is Tyler Randell and, as much as I love enforcers, he really can't play at all. Dump a Caron or Camper who bring nothing to the table, get Peluso or Austin Carroll and move on. They also need some toughness on D in Providence and a good reclamation project would be Colten Teubert, in Boston's D first system I think he may be able to live up to his potential. He is now a UFA and worth a gamble in my opinion.

Fenian24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 06:59 AM
Fenian24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinDust View Post
Does anyone think that Bobby Robins has a shot at making the Boston Bruins this year as the 14th forward?

He led the AHL in PIMs last season, makes near the league minimum(600k), is signed for two years. He could play in place of or with Thornton against the John Scotts of the world on the 4th line. Seems like he's a good teammate and gives it his all every game. He even fought during last seasons inter-squad game. Love what Thornton brings but I agree it's time to get him some help.
I love Bobby's heart and attitude but John Scott would kill him, his fighting has improved but he is not really that good at it. He didn’t start fighting until later in his career when he realized that he was going to be out of hockey if he didn't change his game and bring more to the table. Was a goal scoring power forward until he got to the USHL, was almost out of hockey playing in the EIHL for Belfast, came back in the ECHL and started fighting a lot and has earned a pro contract with Boston.

Great story but not a great fighter. He may make the fourth line on a couple call ups if Thornton is hurt.

Fenian24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 07:16 AM
Dharvey33

You guys sure love to talk about the habs haha.

Even with Parros we might still be soft on the bottom 6 but at least this time Gorges won't have to fight Mclaren and get laughed at. He will have to fight the big Mustache guy.

If only Moen could move his lazy ass with White, Parros, Moen, Prust we might have a scrappy bottom six. Too much smurf on the top 6 Tough.

Anyway see you this season for another great showdown, Bruins Habs are the best games to watch.

Dharvey33 is offline   Reply With Quote