HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Manchester Monarchs coaching staff fired

Closed Thread

Old
06-15-2005, 10:05 AM
jt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer
From Provencher's article:

Bottom line? Boudreau will have no problem landing with another AHL team. He would be a natural fit for the Maple Leafs' new Toronto Marlies franchise or he might just end up sticking it to the Monarchs behind the Hartford Wolf Pack bench.

I think it's highly unlikely that Boudreau will end up behind the Hartford Wolf Pack bench or any of the other Divisional rivals of the Monarchs.

Remember, Boudreau signed an extension and was then "relieved of his coaching duties", technically, he's still an employee of the Kings organization and I'd be shocked if there wasn't wording in Boudreau's contract that gives the Kings power to deterimine if Boudreau can negotiate with other teams or not. I have no proof that such a clause exists in Boudreau's contract. BUT, if the KINGS ONLY wanted to provide Boudreau with a severance package they could have fired him and given him a severance package. Everything happens for a reason and my suspicion is that the signing of the extension followed by the relieved of his coaching responsibilities was done to protect the Kings/Monarchs position...
Great call KB and something I hadn't really thought of at all. If BB really meant that he considers all his bosses and co-workers friends and expects them to call him soon, then maybe this isn't such a big deal after all. I look at it this way, the Monarchs are still paying him his salary as if he were the coach...but they have other plans for him. Is it really that different from what the Devils did with Larry Robinson? Yeah, it's a little odd...but odd doesn't make it wrong.

Now I'm reallyreserving judgment...if BB is offered (and accepts) some kind of scouting job with the Kings, maybe we'll all look at it 3 months from now and say everyone handled it well and it's great to have BB still with the franchise.

Old
06-15-2005, 10:20 AM
jt

Just an overall comment...the day the Kings pick up POS players like Tkachuk, Guerin and Brashear will be the day I take a hiatus as a Kings fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt13
2 players never make a team.
I don't understand, Cowan is already on the roster and Kosty will take the spot Lappy had. But the reality is that the two of them will fill his role...and from what I saw of Cowan last year, they'll fill it pretty well.

Quote:
Well I guess Id first have a talk with my GM and ask him why I have a team of marshmellows and 2 tougher guys that are both undersized and have to protect everyone.

Id dress an enforcer near everynight, so that when a guy like Sandy Mcarthy goes on a rampage like in the Boston game my enforcer can at least go out there and slow him down.

That is where I would start.
Ok then. If Conroy, Army, Klatt, Frolov, Avery, Belanger, Kosty, Cowan, Brown (with Flinn in the mix too), Norstrom, Miller, Gleason, Visnovsky & Quintal is a team of marshmallows, we're not gonna get anywhere in this conversation. No they're not all "tough guys", but marshmallows? I think not.

The era of the enforcer is over in real-life hockey. It's thriving on PS2 but there is no place in the NHL for guys like Sandy McCarthy who have minimal talent. And if they change the rules to allow more free-flow hockey, they'll become even more of a liability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
out of that list of players going back to 97, i do see some size. But I also see some terrible picks. Being big is one thing. Being soft as a pillow is another. Im not going to deny that the picks you listed were good ones. I guess i I should have clarified myself. I meant the players on the Monarchs roster. Just not enough size,grit and toughness at all.

Dont even get me started on the system in place in Manchester. You have to utilize a system that plays to the strength of the players you have and the system.
Agreed. Big doesn't mean tough. But what I was responding to was people's accusation that DT doesn't draft "big" players and it's because AM favors small soft players. AM doesn't favor small soft players and DT does draft big players. He even drafts tough, gritty players, but since he's only been drafting well (IMO) since 2000, not too many of these players have made the team yet.

As for the system in Manchester, it should be a system to develop the players so they're ready to play for the Kings. That's it. EVERYTHING in Manchester should be done with one goal and one goal only: develop future LA Kings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
as a Flyer fan you can have Brashear. He is a piece of trash.
Yep.

Old
06-15-2005, 10:49 AM
Matt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt
Just an overall comment...the day the Kings pick up POS players like Tkachuk, Guerin and Brashear will be the day I take a hiatus as a Kings fan.

I cant wait til they pick them up.

Quote:
I don't understand, Cowan is already on the roster and Kosty will take the spot Lappy had. But the reality is that the two of them will fill his role...and from what I saw of Cowan last year, they'll fill it pretty well.

Ok then. If Conroy, Army, Klatt, Frolov, Avery, Belanger, Kosty, Cowan, Brown (with Flinn in the mix too), Norstrom, Miller, Gleason, Visnovsky & Quintal is a team of marshmallows, we're not gonna get anywhere in this conversation. No they're not all "tough guys", but marshmallows? I think not.
This team has failed to take the ice. Is it a hell of ann improvement over years past hell yeah but this will be the first time in a long time if it happens.

Quote:
The era of the enforcer is over in real-life hockey. It's thriving on PS2 but there is no place in the NHL for guys like Sandy McCarthy who have minimal talent. And if they change the rules to allow more free-flow hockey, they'll become even more of a liability.

With the new rules you may be right, we'll have to wait and see. Any one here who has watched a hockey game has seen an enforcer change the tide of the game with a punch. So I dont see how you can say that.

Last edited by Matt13: 06-15-2005 at 11:29 AM.
Old
06-15-2005, 10:55 AM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt
Now I'm reallyreserving judgment...if BB is offered (and accepts) some kind of scouting job with the Kings, maybe we'll all look at it 3 months from now and say everyone handled it well and it's great to have BB still with the franchise.
I agree, BUT, if it was done in this manner so that the Kings could block him signing with another Organization, I won't like it. As I said previously, this is all conjecture on my part and there may not be anything in Boudreau's contract that would prevent him from talking to other teams. We'll have to see how it all plays out...

Old
06-15-2005, 11:09 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
I know he is, I hate him and Bertuzzi more than anything, but he also helps contribute to team toughness, is technically an enforcer, and is also a guy AM would play because he can take a regular shift.

well if you want a guy that takes bad penalties at the wrong times then fine so be it. the only notable fight he had last year was with Rob Ray in the brawl game. The fight that started the whole fiasco. I am not sure on his fighting abilities anymore. there is a reason why some people call him huggybear.

Quote:
I agree, BUT, if it was done in this manner so that the Kings could block him signing with another Organization, I won't like it. As I said previously, this is all conjecture on my part and there may not be anything in Boudreau's contract that would prevent him from talking to other teams. We'll have to see how it all plays out...
im with you on that one KB. IF the way they fired BB prevents him from coaching another team then it was a pretty classless thing to do by Gilmour. BB is a good guy and DESERVES a job somewhere else. I dont think he wants to be a scout IMO. I think he wants to coach again.

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 06-15-2005 at 11:14 AM.
Old
06-15-2005, 12:51 PM
jt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt13
This team has failed to take the ice. Is it a hell of ann improvement over years past hell yeah but this will be the first time in a long time if it happens.

With the new rules you may be right, we'll have to wait and see. Any one here who has watched a hockey game has seen an enforcer change the tide of the game with a punch. So I dont see how you can say that.
Alright then, we agree on one thing: the team I listed is plenty gritty/tough.

While an enforcer can change the tide of the game, it's usually the middleweights like Lappy and even Avery who do it on a regular basis. And the Kings have plenty of middleweights. I just don't see the need for a goon anymore in the NHL. When Curtis Brown runs Sundin and Domi fights Barnaby because of it, that doesn't stop Brown from running anyone...and it doesn't usually change the momentum. Sometimes it does but not usually...most of the time fights are just entertainment.

Old
06-15-2005, 12:55 PM
jt

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if there's more to it than we know right now. But the bottom line is that I don't see how it makes any sense whatsoever to pay BB to be very unhappy as a Kings/Monarchs employee and to prevent him from taking a coaching job with another team when they apparently don't think he's good enough to coach their own team. It's one thing if you're Mike Keenan and you have a GREAT track record, but a minor league coach who had some success but hasn't won anything? Why in the world would the want to prevent him from talking to other teams? Certainly it's possible but it just doesn't make sense.

Closed Thread