HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Free Agent Frenzy Part 4

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-05-2013, 08:51 PM
  #451
Craig71
Registered User
 
Craig71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,805
vCash: 500
It is tough to watch our competitors sign players and we get Parros and Briere, it must be part of a master plan I guess. Expect another down to the wire 8th place creep in to the playoffs and first round exit. I hate losing but will continue to root for the team and not the names on the back.

Craig71 is offline  
Old
07-05-2013, 08:52 PM
  #452
Ezpz
No mad pls
 
Ezpz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,582
vCash: 50
We signed absolutely no one. wat.

Ezpz is offline  
Old
07-05-2013, 08:53 PM
  #453
dunner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 386
vCash: 500
Personally think Gionta will get dealt mid-season for some sandpaper, by then hopefully he is healthy and works up a little trade value.

dunner is offline  
Old
07-05-2013, 08:54 PM
  #454
Dwight
The French Tickler
 
Dwight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,778
vCash: 500
I feel kinda stupid because I repeat this routine every year.

Get excited for free agency
Be disappointed when we sign one guy
See everyone else overpay for talent
Get nervous that these teams are better
End up not being that great, Habs finish mid pack
Rinse, repeat

Dwight is offline  
Old
07-05-2013, 08:54 PM
  #455
Dont Poke Subban
Registered User
 
Dont Poke Subban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,042
vCash: 500
Lol I hope MB takes his time and not react right away to the signings today. Cmon, there's still 2 months before the season. So much time to make changes.

Who did we really miss out today?

Ryan? Based on what Ott gave up, we would probably have to get rid of Gallagher, Collberg and a 1st next year. Pass.

Clowe? Injury-prone and overpaid. Pass.

Clarkson? Overpaid. Pass.

Iggy? Just like Lecavalier. They never wanted to play in Montreal.

Just saying. I'm glad MB is "standing pat."

Dont Poke Subban is offline  
Old
07-05-2013, 08:54 PM
  #456
Zorba
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: DELTA BC
Posts: 486
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDN View Post
So what if he is? I'd rather have a calm and collected GM with a clear plan rather than someone who just throws money at the best available FA and hope for the best short term gains.
I have no problem with not throwing money but dont say they are trying to get bigger then do the complete opposite and and signing a declining smaller guy. Thats not a clear plan. That just looks like Gainey and CO. Personally Id rather just play younger guys than have Briere.

Zorba is offline  
Old
07-05-2013, 08:55 PM
  #457
dunner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
I feel kinda stupid because I repeat this routine every year.

Get excited for free agency
Be disappointed when we sign one guy
See everyone else overpay for talent
Get nervous that these teams are better
End up not being that great, Habs finish mid pack
Rinse, repeat
Try a new routine?

Get worked up for the draft.

dunner is offline  
Old
07-05-2013, 08:59 PM
  #458
Habiton
Registered User
 
Habiton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I swear to god if you just replace Bergevin with Gainey you can find like five hundred posts stating the same thing circa 2008


Good point but can't you see that he did what he did because of the pressure put on by the very same fans who are crying now?

We make a difference, let make it a positive one and support our front office. It's not like he secretly works for Boston lol

Habiton is offline  
Old
07-05-2013, 08:59 PM
  #459
Grant McCagg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLHabsFan View Post
So this is the first time I logged on all day and you crazies are already at part four! So I'm sure everything has been talked about, but ****, insane term and money given out today. GMs still hand out ridiculous contracts that just **** them over down the road. Never learns from their mistakes.
Yep. The Briere deal looks a lot better today. Habs are risking $8M...Leafs are risking $37M on Clarkson alone. A 29-year-old with one season over 40 points..Briere has almost scored that many points in one playoff season.

We really need to reserve full judgement on the moves so far before the season starts.....I'm pretty sure Bergevin's not done dealing. There are teams that failed to address certain needs today who will be a lot more inclined to go after Desharnais/Gionta for instance. I would expect Bergevin will be shopping Desharnais, perhaps even Plekanec and Gionta.

When you look at the current forward roster without Desharnais.... and Briere at center

Patch Plek Gionta
Chucky Eller Gallagher
Bourque Briere Prust/Leblanc
Parros White Leblanc/Prust/Moen

I really like that group, a nice mixture, and interchangable. If Eller isn't ready to be a second-line center, Briere or Chucky can step in. There is some versatility in this group, especially if Leblanc cracks the team, and I think he will. Even without DD, there are six players who are natural centers in this lineup, so it's not like his absence would be felt that significantly.

I don't consider that to be a small lineup. Two players under 5-10, four players under 6-0. Many are anointing the Red Wings the division champs..well..with the additions of Alfie and Weiss..they now have SIX forwards under 6-0. Six!

Let's say the season starts with no takers for DD....there will be teams that struggle out of the gate, and with the new playoff format having to finish top four in the division...teams will be panicking earlier than normal when they fall behind. If he struggles at season's start with Montreal..he will be benched. it's that simple. If he doesn't struggle, and he outplays Briere for one..well, he'll play more than Briere, and Briere will be the one who loses ice time, or Gionta, or whomever. For all we know by January Leblanc has earned Gionta's spot on a line...stranger things have happened.

I agree that Desharanis' contract looks pretty bad right now, but it was only two years ago that he was a 44 assist, 60-point scorer. Someone will find that appealing...if not now or before the start of the season, certainly within a month or two of the season's start when some team's struggle out of the gate.

Don't forget that Jay Feaster is still a manager in this league. Calgary is likely going to struggle, and he'll feel pressure to land an offensive contributor. The Flames got a lot bigger and tougher, but they will be lacking skill...DD could be insulated there. That's just one example.

The Habs could use another defenceman with Emelin's absence..I expect Bergevin to make a deal for one at some point, and likely use DD as bait. There is no huge rush....no use panicking at this point....this club does not have a lot of holes to fill, and only needs a bit of tweaking to be pretty decent if you ask me.

Grant McCagg is offline  
Old
07-05-2013, 09:00 PM
  #460
Captain Saku
Registered User
 
Captain Saku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 10,671
vCash: 500
Montreal impact signed today one more free agent than the habs

Captain Saku is offline  
Old
07-05-2013, 09:01 PM
  #461
SnapVirus
Registered User
 
SnapVirus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mtl., QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
It is tough to watch our competitors sign players and we get Parros and Briere, it must be part of a master plan I guess. Expect another down to the wire 8th place creep in to the playoffs and first round exit. I hate losing but will continue to root for the team and not the names on the back.
Yup I feel the same.

What is harder is that we know that our team will be manhandle all season long.

Boston are bigger with Eriksson/Iginla. Toronto is bigger with Clarkson. Ottawa is bigger with Ryan/Macartur. We are bigger... with Parros? Come on! He'll play 4mins a game. And Briere is smaller than Ryder. We got smaller!

SnapVirus is online now  
Old
07-05-2013, 09:01 PM
  #462
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!
 
ZARTONK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,980
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshio View Post
Lol I hope MB takes his time and not react right away to the signings today. Cmon, there's still 2 months before the season. So much time to make changes.

Who did we really miss out today?

Ryan? Based on what Ott gave up, we would probably have to get rid of Gallagher, Collberg and a 1st next year. Pass.

Clowe? Injury-prone and overpaid. Pass.

Clarkson? Overpaid. Pass.

Iggy? Just like Lecavalier. They never wanted to play in Montreal.

Just saying. I'm glad MB is "standing pat."
Good post.

ZARTONK is offline  
Old
07-05-2013, 09:01 PM
  #463
obcd1
Registered User
 
obcd1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
I feel kinda stupid because I repeat this routine every year.

Get excited for free agency
Be disappointed when we sign one guy
See everyone else overpay for talent
Get nervous that these teams are better
End up not being that great, Habs finish mid pack
Rinse, repeat
Exactly, teams cosidered winners in the UFA market are always disapointing in the next season. I don't remember the last time I saw a team buy so many UFA and be great. Last year it was Minnesota and they finished 8th in the west.

obcd1 is offline  
Old
07-05-2013, 09:01 PM
  #464
MDN
Registered User
 
MDN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
I have no problem with not throwing money but dont say they are trying to get bigger then do the complete opposite and and signing a declining smaller guy. Thats not a clear plan. That just looks like Gainey and CO. Personally Id rather just play younger guys than have Briere.
Like I said in my other post, these signings like Briere are a bridge so our young kids can get ready for the NHL... Did we not get bigger this draft? Do we not have some bigger tougher guys coming up in our system? MB is also STILL working on possible trades...

MDN is offline  
Old
07-05-2013, 09:03 PM
  #465
obcd1
Registered User
 
obcd1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapVirus View Post
Yup I feel the same.

What is harder is that we know that our team will be manhandle all season long.

Boston are bigger with Eriksson/Iginla. Toronto is bigger with Clarkson. Ottawa is bigger with Ryan/Macartur. We are bigger... with Parros? Come on! He'll play 4mins a game. And Briere is smaller than Ryder. We got smaller!
Toronto lost O'Byrne and Komisarek they got smaller

obcd1 is offline  
Old
07-05-2013, 09:03 PM
  #466
EveryDay
Registered User
 
EveryDay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Germany
Posts: 4,952
vCash: 500
Lets see who's left

Defenceman (would take any of them before Drewiske)

In Order:

1-Tom Gilbert
2-Doug Murray
3-Ron Hainsey
4-Theo Peckham
5-Mark Fistric

RW

1-Jaromir Jagr
2-Damian Brunner
3-Ryan Jones

LW

1-Brenden Morrow
2-Dustin Penner
3-Vaclav Prospal
4-Mason Raymond
5-Daniel Cleary

Still plenty of interesting player left for Bergevin......

EveryDay is offline  
Old
07-05-2013, 09:04 PM
  #467
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy28 View Post
Do you think adding those players would have made sense for us? You know why Iggy went to Boston. We can't offer him the opportunity they can. If we signed Clarkson we end up having to build around this guy. 7 years at 5 million. You complain about us doing more of the same, but if this guy falls off in a years time we are getting more of what we have had in the past 4 years --- another bad contract.
I think NOT adding Briere would have put us further ahead than we are now. After all those bad contracts got handed out having cap space would have been like gold.

OneSharpMarble is offline  
Old
07-05-2013, 09:04 PM
  #468
Habiton
Registered User
 
Habiton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapVirus View Post
Yup I feel the same.

What is harder is that we know that our team will be manhandle all season long.

Boston are bigger with Eriksson/Iginla. Toronto is bigger with Clarkson. Ottawa is bigger with Ryan/Macartur. We are bigger... with Parros? Come on! He'll play 4mins a game. And Briere is smaller than Ryder. We got smaller!
Eriksson and MacArthur are far from big or tough. Ryan might play with power but he won't man handle anyone. I'm not worried.

Habiton is offline  
Old
07-05-2013, 09:04 PM
  #469
MarkovsKnee
Registered User
 
MarkovsKnee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,045
vCash: 500
Just heard Bruins signed Iginla - ouch. It doesn't really affect us though because Boston was going to make the playoffs anyways.

In our conference, Boston and Detroit are in. That leaves us fighting for the guaranteed 3rd spot with Toronto and Ottawa. Tampa Bay, Buffalo and Florida are likely to be the 3 bottom feeders again.

Despite what Toronto and Ottawa have done today, I just don't see them as being appreciably better. We'll see I guess. Kinda hate that Iginla went to Boston. I hate the Bruins.

MarkovsKnee is offline  
Old
07-05-2013, 09:04 PM
  #470
Kobe Armstrong
Registered User
 
Kobe Armstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 3,379
vCash: 713
Is it overpaying if everyone does it?

Kobe Armstrong is offline  
Old
07-05-2013, 09:05 PM
  #471
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!
 
ZARTONK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,980
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by obcd1 View Post
Toronto lost O'Byrne and Komisarek they got smaller
No, that doesn't count because we're Canadiens' fans and we have to be pessimistic about everything.

ZARTONK is offline  
Old
07-05-2013, 09:05 PM
  #472
Ezpz
No mad pls
 
Ezpz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,582
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkovsKnee View Post
Just heard Bruins signed Iginla - ouch. It doesn't really affect us though because Boston was going to make the playoffs anyways.

In our conference, Boston and Detroit are in. That leaves us fighting for the guaranteed 3rd spot with Toronto and Ottawa. Tampa Bay, Buffalo and Florida are likely to be the 3 bottom feeders again.

Despite what Toronto and Ottawa have done today, I just don't see them as being appreciably better. We'll see I guess. Kinda hate that Iginla went to Boston. I hate the Bruins.
I'm not sold on Detroit being in. Their defense is still awful.

Ezpz is offline  
Old
07-05-2013, 09:05 PM
  #473
obcd1
Registered User
 
obcd1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
Lets see who's left

Defenceman (would take any of them before Drewiske)

In Order:

1-Tom Gilbert
2-Doug Murray
3-Ron Hainsey
4-Theo Peckham
5-Mark Fistric

RW

1-Jaromir Jagr
2-Damian Brunner
3-Ryan Jones

LW

1-Brenden Morrow
2-Dustin Penner
3-Vaclav Prospal
4-Mason Raymond
5-Daniel Cleary

Still plenty of interesting player left for Bergevin......
Maybe Fistric and Jones. Murray is just way too slow. Penner will cost too much compared to what he brings. Raymons is only speed and nothing else.

obcd1 is offline  
Old
07-05-2013, 09:08 PM
  #474
David_99
Registered User
 
David_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,606
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by obcd1 View Post
Toronto lost O'Byrne and Komisarek they got smaller
Did they really play all that much?

David_99 is offline  
Old
07-05-2013, 09:08 PM
  #475
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!
 
ZARTONK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,980
vCash: 50
Holy crap, I just realized Lucic is payed 6M$ a year...

ZARTONK is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:05 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.