HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Free Agent Frenzy Part 4

Closed Thread

Old
07-05-2013, 08:51 PM
Craig71

vCash: 500
It is tough to watch our competitors sign players and we get Parros and Briere, it must be part of a master plan I guess. Expect another down to the wire 8th place creep in to the playoffs and first round exit. I hate losing but will continue to root for the team and not the names on the back.

Old
07-05-2013, 08:52 PM
Ezpz
No mad pls

vCash: 50
We signed absolutely no one. wat.

Old
07-05-2013, 08:53 PM
dunner

Personally think Gionta will get dealt mid-season for some sandpaper, by then hopefully he is healthy and works up a little trade value.

Old
07-05-2013, 08:54 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

I feel kinda stupid because I repeat this routine every year.

Get excited for free agency
Be disappointed when we sign one guy
See everyone else overpay for talent
Get nervous that these teams are better
End up not being that great, Habs finish mid pack
Rinse, repeat

Old
Dont Poke Subban

Lol I hope MB takes his time and not react right away to the signings today. Cmon, there's still 2 months before the season. So much time to make changes.

Who did we really miss out today?

Ryan? Based on what Ott gave up, we would probably have to get rid of Gallagher, Collberg and a 1st next year. Pass.

Clowe? Injury-prone and overpaid. Pass.

Clarkson? Overpaid. Pass.

Iggy? Just like Lecavalier. They never wanted to play in Montreal.

Just saying. I'm glad MB is "standing pat."

Old
Zorba

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDN View Post
So what if he is? I'd rather have a calm and collected GM with a clear plan rather than someone who just throws money at the best available FA and hope for the best short term gains.
I have no problem with not throwing money but dont say they are trying to get bigger then do the complete opposite and and signing a declining smaller guy. Thats not a clear plan. That just looks like Gainey and CO. Personally Id rather just play younger guys than have Briere.

Old
07-05-2013, 08:55 PM
dunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post

Rinse, repeat
Try a new routine?

Get worked up for the draft.

Old
07-05-2013, 08:59 PM
Habiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I swear to god if you just replace Bergevin with Gainey you can find like five hundred posts stating the same thing circa 2008

Good point but can't you see that he did what he did because of the pressure put on by the very same fans who are crying now?

We make a difference, let make it a positive one and support our front office. It's not like he secretly works for Boston lol

Old
07-05-2013, 08:59 PM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLHabsFan View Post
So this is the first time I logged on all day and you crazies are already at part four! So I'm sure everything has been talked about, but ****, insane term and money given out today. GMs still hand out ridiculous contracts that just **** them over down the road. Never learns from their mistakes.
Yep. The Briere deal looks a lot better today. Habs are risking $8M...Leafs are risking $37M on Clarkson alone. A 29-year-old with one season over 40 points..Briere has almost scored that many points in one playoff season.

We really need to reserve full judgement on the moves so far before the season starts.....I'm pretty sure Bergevin's not done dealing. There are teams that failed to address certain needs today who will be a lot more inclined to go after Desharnais/Gionta for instance. I would expect Bergevin will be shopping Desharnais, perhaps even Plekanec and Gionta.

When you look at the current forward roster without Desharnais.... and Briere at center

Patch Plek Gionta
Chucky Eller Gallagher
Bourque Briere Prust/Leblanc
Parros White Leblanc/Prust/Moen

I really like that group, a nice mixture, and interchangable. If Eller isn't ready to be a second-line center, Briere or Chucky can step in. There is some versatility in this group, especially if Leblanc cracks the team, and I think he will. Even without DD, there are six players who are natural centers in this lineup, so it's not like his absence would be felt that significantly.

I don't consider that to be a small lineup. Two players under 5-10, four players under 6-0. Many are anointing the Red Wings the division champs..well..with the additions of Alfie and Weiss..they now have SIX forwards under 6-0. Six!

Let's say the season starts with no takers for DD....there will be teams that struggle out of the gate, and with the new playoff format having to finish top four in the division...teams will be panicking earlier than normal when they fall behind. If he struggles at season's start with Montreal..he will be benched. it's that simple. If he doesn't struggle, and he outplays Briere for one..well, he'll play more than Briere, and Briere will be the one who loses ice time, or Gionta, or whomever. For all we know by January Leblanc has earned Gionta's spot on a line...stranger things have happened.

I agree that Desharanis' contract looks pretty bad right now, but it was only two years ago that he was a 44 assist, 60-point scorer. Someone will find that appealing...if not now or before the start of the season, certainly within a month or two of the season's start when some team's struggle out of the gate.

Don't forget that Jay Feaster is still a manager in this league. Calgary is likely going to struggle, and he'll feel pressure to land an offensive contributor. The Flames got a lot bigger and tougher, but they will be lacking skill...DD could be insulated there. That's just one example.

The Habs could use another defenceman with Emelin's absence..I expect Bergevin to make a deal for one at some point, and likely use DD as bait. There is no huge rush....no use panicking at this point....this club does not have a lot of holes to fill, and only needs a bit of tweaking to be pretty decent if you ask me.

Old
07-05-2013, 09:00 PM
Captain Saku

Montreal impact signed today one more free agent than the habs

Old
07-05-2013, 09:01 PM
SnapVirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
It is tough to watch our competitors sign players and we get Parros and Briere, it must be part of a master plan I guess. Expect another down to the wire 8th place creep in to the playoffs and first round exit. I hate losing but will continue to root for the team and not the names on the back.
Yup I feel the same.

What is harder is that we know that our team will be manhandle all season long.

Boston are bigger with Eriksson/Iginla. Toronto is bigger with Clarkson. Ottawa is bigger with Ryan/Macartur. We are bigger... with Parros? Come on! He'll play 4mins a game. And Briere is smaller than Ryder. We got smaller!

Old
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshio View Post
Lol I hope MB takes his time and not react right away to the signings today. Cmon, there's still 2 months before the season. So much time to make changes.

Who did we really miss out today?

Ryan? Based on what Ott gave up, we would probably have to get rid of Gallagher, Collberg and a 1st next year. Pass.

Clowe? Injury-prone and overpaid. Pass.

Clarkson? Overpaid. Pass.

Iggy? Just like Lecavalier. They never wanted to play in Montreal.

Just saying. I'm glad MB is "standing pat."
Good post.

Old
obcd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post

Rinse, repeat
Exactly, teams cosidered winners in the UFA market are always disapointing in the next season. I don't remember the last time I saw a team buy so many UFA and be great. Last year it was Minnesota and they finished 8th in the west.

Old
MDN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
I have no problem with not throwing money but dont say they are trying to get bigger then do the complete opposite and and signing a declining smaller guy. Thats not a clear plan. That just looks like Gainey and CO. Personally Id rather just play younger guys than have Briere.
Like I said in my other post, these signings like Briere are a bridge so our young kids can get ready for the NHL... Did we not get bigger this draft? Do we not have some bigger tougher guys coming up in our system? MB is also STILL working on possible trades...

Old
07-05-2013, 09:03 PM
obcd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapVirus View Post
Yup I feel the same.

Boston are bigger with Eriksson/Iginla. Toronto is bigger with Clarkson. Ottawa is bigger with Ryan/Macartur. We are bigger... with Parros? Come on! He'll play 4mins a game. And Briere is smaller than Ryder. We got smaller!
Toronto lost O'Byrne and Komisarek they got smaller

Old
07-05-2013, 09:03 PM
EveryDay

Lets see who's left

Defenceman (would take any of them before Drewiske)

In Order:

1-Tom Gilbert
2-Doug Murray
3-Ron Hainsey
4-Theo Peckham
5-Mark Fistric

RW

1-Jaromir Jagr
2-Damian Brunner
3-Ryan Jones

LW

1-Brenden Morrow
2-Dustin Penner
3-Vaclav Prospal
4-Mason Raymond
5-Daniel Cleary

Still plenty of interesting player left for Bergevin......

Old
07-05-2013, 09:04 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy28 View Post
Do you think adding those players would have made sense for us? You know why Iggy went to Boston. We can't offer him the opportunity they can. If we signed Clarkson we end up having to build around this guy. 7 years at 5 million. You complain about us doing more of the same, but if this guy falls off in a years time we are getting more of what we have had in the past 4 years --- another bad contract.
I think NOT adding Briere would have put us further ahead than we are now. After all those bad contracts got handed out having cap space would have been like gold.

Old
Habiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapVirus View Post
Yup I feel the same.

Eriksson and MacArthur are far from big or tough. Ryan might play with power but he won't man handle anyone. I'm not worried.

Old
MarkovsKnee

Just heard Bruins signed Iginla - ouch. It doesn't really affect us though because Boston was going to make the playoffs anyways.

In our conference, Boston and Detroit are in. That leaves us fighting for the guaranteed 3rd spot with Toronto and Ottawa. Tampa Bay, Buffalo and Florida are likely to be the 3 bottom feeders again.

Despite what Toronto and Ottawa have done today, I just don't see them as being appreciably better. We'll see I guess. Kinda hate that Iginla went to Boston. I hate the Bruins.

Old
Kobe Armstrong

vCash: 713
Is it overpaying if everyone does it?

Old
07-05-2013, 09:05 PM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcd1 View Post
No, that doesn't count because we're Canadiens' fans and we have to be pessimistic about everything.

Old
Ezpz
No mad pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkovsKnee View Post
Just heard Bruins signed Iginla - ouch. It doesn't really affect us though because Boston was going to make the playoffs anyways.

In our conference, Boston and Detroit are in. That leaves us fighting for the guaranteed 3rd spot with Toronto and Ottawa. Tampa Bay, Buffalo and Florida are likely to be the 3 bottom feeders again.

Despite what Toronto and Ottawa have done today, I just don't see them as being appreciably better. We'll see I guess. Kinda hate that Iginla went to Boston. I hate the Bruins.
I'm not sold on Detroit being in. Their defense is still awful.

Old
obcd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
Lets see who's left

Defenceman (would take any of them before Drewiske)

In Order:

1-Tom Gilbert
2-Doug Murray
3-Ron Hainsey
4-Theo Peckham
5-Mark Fistric

RW

1-Jaromir Jagr
2-Damian Brunner
3-Ryan Jones

LW

1-Brenden Morrow
2-Dustin Penner
3-Vaclav Prospal
4-Mason Raymond
5-Daniel Cleary

Still plenty of interesting player left for Bergevin......
Maybe Fistric and Jones. Murray is just way too slow. Penner will cost too much compared to what he brings. Raymons is only speed and nothing else.

Old
07-05-2013, 09:08 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcd1 View Post
Did they really play all that much?

Old
07-05-2013, 09:08 PM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Holy crap, I just realized Lucic is payed 6M$ a year...

Closed Thread