Free Agent Frenzy - Part III

Closed Thread

Old
08-23-2013, 11:52 AM
WBC8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyntBergie View Post
Doug Murray to the Habs, 1 year for $1.5m.

Not a bad signing. Habs have undergone quite a facelift in the last couple of seasons. For better or worse remains to be seen but much different composition to their team than in recent seasons. They're actually somewhat tough, on paper at least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
Great signing for them.

I don't know what they're doing exactly. But I think we'll see a more competitive team to hate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
The Habs have a group of really punishing hitters on the backline. Murray is the only guy that will hurt you even if you see him coming --the other 2 get really brave when they have someone with his head down.
Pretty heavy backline now with him, Tinordi and Emelin... Will certainly lean on those forwards down low..

Lucic was a monster down low in the play-offs hope the Bruins incorporate more of that this year..

Old
08-23-2013, 12:31 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
This James Duthie tweet extravaganza about Luongo is FASCINATING.
What's this all about now?

Old
08-23-2013, 12:48 PM
duckchobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC8 View Post
Pretty heavy backline now with him, Tinordi and Emelin... Will certainly lean on those forwards down low..

Lucic was a monster down low in the play-offs hope the Bruins incorporate more of that this year..
As much as everyone praised Bergeron for his play in game 7 against Toronto, Lucic was a beast that game and particularly in the 3rd period.

Old
08-23-2013, 01:07 PM
Culture of Hockey
Classless Fanboy

Quote:
What's this all about now?
Bobby Lou's in a share-y mood.

@tsnjamesduthie: The summer of silence is over. Roberto Luongo's first interview since the Schneider trade tonight/tomorrow on Sportscentre (6et) #TSN

@tsnjamesduthie: Luongo will report to Canucks training camp, and says he is extremely motivated, but remains uncertain about his future in Van.

@tsnjamesduthie: Luongo: "I had moved on from Vancouver and was ready to start fresh somewhere else...like a divorce...except she wanted me back."

@tsnjamesduthie: Luongo also talks about breaking down after not being dealt at deadline and "blacking out" when he learned VAN had traded Schneider.

@tsnjamesduthie: Luongo also reveals that in May he had serious talks with the NHLPA about the possibility of voiding his deal and walking away from 40m.

Old
08-23-2013, 01:27 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmont Flavor View Post
Bobby Lou's in a share-y mood.

@tsnjamesduthie: The summer of silence is over. Roberto Luongo's first interview since the Schneider trade tonight/tomorrow on Sportscentre (6et) #TSN

@tsnjamesduthie: Luongo will report to Canucks training camp, and says he is extremely motivated, but remains uncertain about his future in Van.

@tsnjamesduthie: Luongo: "I had moved on from Vancouver and was ready to start fresh somewhere else...like a divorce...except she wanted me back."

@tsnjamesduthie: Luongo also talks about breaking down after not being dealt at deadline and "blacking out" when he learned VAN had traded Schneider.

@tsnjamesduthie: Luongo also reveals that in May he had serious talks with the NHLPA about the possibility of voiding his deal and walking away from 40m.
Interesting. It's not how I thought he'd take that news.

Old
08-23-2013, 01:48 PM
PlayMakers

Quote:

Not a bad signing. Habs have undergone quite a facelift in the last couple of seasons. For better or worse remains to be seen but much different composition to their team than in recent seasons. They're actually somewhat tough, on paper at least.
I thought they played pretty tough last year. (When they won the division.)

Old
08-23-2013, 01:54 PM
DoubleAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicat View Post
Montreal keeps making their team worse by signing tough guys who are either washed up or have no talent at all. Murray in his prime was a great player but the last few seasons have been pretty meh.
I like Murray, but agree he's pretty much toast.

They still haven't quite figured out it should be talent & toughness, not talent or toughness.

Old
08-23-2013, 02:04 PM
Culture of Hockey
Classless Fanboy

Quote:
Interesting. It's not how I thought he'd take that news.
Yeah, it's odd.

I mean, I understand he's a goalie and they're prone to a touch of the oddball....and he seems to be a guy that's fairly open....but the dude's a sports psychologists' dream. He's not doing much to dispel the perception that he's got some confidence issues.

Let the Torts/Luongo tango begin in earnest.

Old
08-23-2013, 02:31 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
I think this kinda gets lost around here.... Bruins are past these types of "moral" victories but for the Habs, that was a pretty great season considering they were third worst overall the year before...and they look a hell of a lot better on paper this year..they will be tough..

Old
08-23-2013, 03:04 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC8 View Post
I think this kinda gets lost around here.... Bruins are past these types of "moral" victories but for the Habs, that was a pretty great season considering they were third worst overall the year before...and they look a hell of a lot better on paper this year..they will be tough..
Unless I'm missing something big then Briere, Murray, Drewiske and Parros are all pretty mediocre additions to make an NHL team "a hell of a lot better on paper". They're minus Ryder who's better than any of those guys and they got ***** slapped with him against Ottawa. Don't really know what to think of the Habs, horrible in 2011-12 and kind of limped down the stretch and stunk in the playoffs in 2013. Were a pretty good team for three quarters of the shortened season though. I think Gallagher and Galchenyuk will have a lot to do with how they succeed, progression of young players isn't always linear but if they can both improve the team could be dangerous.

Old
08-23-2013, 04:33 PM
BrainOfJ
Draft Victor Mete

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Unless I'm missing something big then Briere, Murray, Drewiske and Parros are all pretty mediocre additions to make an NHL team "a hell of a lot better on paper". They're minus Ryder who's better than any of those guys and they got ***** slapped with him against Ottawa. I think Gallagher and Galchenyuk will have a lot to do with how they succeed, progression of young players isn't always linear but if they can both improve the team could be dangerous.
You're missing exactly what you typed apparently. They only lost Ryder, added 3 very solid pieces and some serious grit in Parros, plus Subban, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Tinordi, and Paccioretty are all a year older.

They're going to have a damn solid team, and certainly a team that won't get pushed around IMO.

Quote:
Don't really know what to think of the Habs, horrible in 2011-12 and kind of limped down the stretch and stunk in the playoffs in 2013. Were a pretty good team for three quarters of the shortened season though.
You also just described the Bruins. Down the stretch it seemed like neither of these teams wanted to win the division, both played some bad uninspiring hockey through the final stretch of the season and into the first round.

Old
08-23-2013, 06:25 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post
You're missing exactly what you typed apparently. They only lost Ryder, added 3 very solid pieces and some serious grit in Parros, plus Subban, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Tinordi, and Paccioretty are all a year older.

They're going to have a damn solid team, and certainly a team that won't get pushed around IMO.

You also just described the Bruins. Down the stretch it seemed like neither of these teams wanted to win the division, both played some bad uninspiring hockey through the final stretch of the season and into the first round.
So Ryder out, Briere and Murray (plus Parros) in, pretty close to a wash assuming Briere bounces back. So it's just progression of young players that makes the Habs a hell of a lot better than last year? As far as that second part, I did not also just describe the Bruins, the only similarity is the limping down the stretch. Habs won a playoff game, Bruins won 14. Habs have a solid squad and aren't to be dismissed, because they are a young team they could go either way, everybody does improve and maybe they come legit contenders, some guys stumble for a year and they might be fighting for a playoff spot.

Last edited by bruinsfan46: 08-23-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old
08-23-2013, 06:30 PM
William Faulkner
A Wizard A True Star

Quote:
Yeah, it's odd.

I mean, I understand he's a goalie and they're prone to a touch of the oddball....and he seems to be a guy that's fairly open....but the dude's a sports psychologists' dream. He's not doing much to dispel the perception that he's got some confidence issues.

Oh man, it's gonna be awesome if he stays.

08-23-2013, 06:40 PM
Over the volcano

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
So Ryder out, Briere and Murray (plus Parros) in, pretty close to a wash assuming Briere bounces back. So it's just progression of young players that makes the Habs a hell of a lot better than last year? As far as that second part, I did not also just describe the Bruins, the only similarity is the limping down the stretch. Habs won a playoff game, Bruins won 14. Habs have a solid squad and aren't to be dismissed, because they are a young team they could go either way, everybody does improve and maybe they come legit contenders, some guys stumble for a year and they might be fighting for a playoff spot.
Murray and Parros will go a long way toward avoiding getting punked out like they did against Ottawa.

Old
08-23-2013, 07:18 PM
Culture of Hockey
Classless Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancelotLink View Post
Oh man, it's gonna be awesome if he stays.
He has to.

Good lord, who else would Vancouver trot out in net? Eddie Lack?

The subversive twitter snark, the Torts pressers...that team's gonna be in the news for all the wrong reasons. Add to that all the other crappy roster moves Gillis has made which has him stuck with personnel that doesn't even fit the philosophy that's team's had the last couple years...and how Torts is gonna go in there and blow it all up?

My mind seriously goes haywire thinking of all the scenarios where that team blows the eff up next year.

I'm perversely excited to watch every fantastic second of it.

Old
08-24-2013, 07:51 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Yeah, it's odd.

It`s going to resemble the circus that was the Montreal Canadiens of two years ago... this has disaster written all over it...geez...too bad

Old
08-24-2013, 11:59 AM
PatriceBergeronFan
Dismayed B's Fan

vCash: 583
So after chris clark and then frigging jay pandolfo, what useless vet will be our camp invitee this season? Out of everyone available I'd hope for Morrow I guess but he sucks now.

Old
08-24-2013, 12:18 PM
EverettMike

Fluto wrote no veteran invite. Too many kids they want to give a look at.

Old
08-24-2013, 12:27 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
Dismayed B's Fan

vCash: 583
Thank God and thank you for the info.

Old
08-24-2013, 12:41 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
Then the Sens slapped 'em around in the playoffs and exposed them for the pansies they were (are).

Old
08-24-2013, 12:45 PM
EverettMike

Half seasons are super weird. Hell, even the 05 season after the lockout was weird.

I will be very intrigued to see what Toronto and Montreal do this year.

Old
08-24-2013, 12:46 PM
ksp1957

vCash: 1430
Send a message via AIM to ksp1957
Quote:

Great news for my HFL team, but not so much for the Bruins. I can play him during my season but so can the Habs.

Old
08-24-2013, 01:23 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
Fluto wrote no veteran invite. Too many kids they want to give a look at.
Brought my mother to get her nails done (not sure what the male equivalent is I'd say massage parlor with a Happy Ending) and to kill 45 minutes went to nearby Modell's in Beverly and bought a Jerome Iginla #12 black Bruins T shirt. I'm going out tonight with about 10 folks who are Bruins season ticket holders and am going to unveil it. I have never bought one since my Sobotka never had one.

I can't wait for my mother to get out so I can home and try it on. I've already visualized it though and I look ****ing awesome

Old
09-03-2013, 05:39 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 4h

Doesn't sound like TOR and RFAs Nazem Kadri and Cody Franson are even in the same ballpark on negotiations at this point

Quote:

Kadri believed to be looking long-term (6 yrs in Tavares stratosphere of $5.5M per). Leafs want short, 2 yrs at P.K. Subban $ ($2.875M per).
Quote:

Franson was eligible for salary arb but didn't file. Believed to want long term (4 yrs at $4M+ per). TOR aiming short, yr or 2 at <$3M per.

Old
09-03-2013, 05:51 PM
Culture of Hockey
Classless Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

Kadri wants Tavares-type money?

You've got to be kidding me.

Oh my lawd, there's nothing that provides entertainment like the on-goings of the TML.

Is it bad that I bolted right over to the Kadri contract thread in the Taranna forum?

Found this:

Rob Longley, Toronto Star, Maple Leafs Beat Writer

Quote:
Nazem Kadri on his contract status: “It just seems like everyone who doesn’t know the situation seems to know what’s best for me."
Well, no, none of us clearly knew he was one of the top 10 players in the league, much less a fringe Hart Trophy candidate.

Closed Thread