HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 Marlies Edition

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2013, 04:46 PM
BIitz
KeepingKlingberg

vCash: 50
Top 6 wingers look a little thin, especially if one of Jerry or Carter are up.

Old
07-06-2013, 06:57 PM
JackJ

vCash: 500
D'Amigo will get the nod for the Leafs fourth line.

D'Amigo Colborne Orr/McLaren

Old
07-06-2013, 07:09 PM
ChrisCall

Spencer Abbott might lead the team in scoring this year.
If not he will FOR SURE be top three ... that is unless he suffers some kind of injuries.

So since he has so far not even been mentioned in this topic i thought i'd throw his name in.

Last edited by ChrisCall: 07-06-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old
07-06-2013, 07:11 PM
BIitz
KeepingKlingberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCall View Post
Spencer Abbott might lead the team in scoring this year.
If not he will FOR SURE be top three ... that is unless he suffers some kind of injuries.

So since he has so far not even been mentioned in this topic i thought i'd throw his name in.
I was thinking the same thing.

D'amigo-Mckegg-Scott was one of our best lines in the PO's and towards the end of the season, I'd like to see that as our second like but with Abbott taking Scotts spot as he is no longer on our team.

Old
07-07-2013, 01:56 PM
heatersthebest

definitely think that abbot will be a bigger part of the team next year, seems to put up points. Could turn into one of those Martin St.Pierre/Keith Aucoin instant offense in the AHL type of guys.

If Zigomanis is brought back I dont think there is even a debate as to who the Captain will be. Ranger quit hockey, not sure his head would be in the right space to lead a group of young impressionable players.

Old
07-08-2013, 03:53 PM
highslot

bobo may not make the big team.

there is also connor brown to consider as well as loov, camenasari and nilsson, who may make the team. the sooner we get the swedes used to our game, the better.

ashton, carrick nor spencer abbott really did not impress.

will mueller be back? i thought the was just playing in europe because of the lockout.

Old
07-08-2013, 04:02 PM
Est1995

Connor Brown isn't eligible to play with the Marlies next year..

Old
07-08-2013, 04:26 PM
TmlHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingInReverse View Post
He's 19, why shouldn't he be eligible?

Old
07-08-2013, 04:48 PM
DevinH2004

AHL is 20+ league, he'll be eligible to play once his OHL season is finished.

Also Cameranasi has another 3 years of college eligibility and it looks like he's staying in Minnesota, and haven't heard anything about Loov coming over, so it's likely he'll continue to play in Sweden.

Old
07-08-2013, 06:04 PM
ChrisCall

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingInReverse View Post
I'm 100% happy if he gets another year (or two) playing with McDavid.

Old
07-08-2013, 11:13 PM
Dark Passenger

may see colborne start with marlies also

Old
07-09-2013, 04:18 PM
TmlHockeyFan

I think Leivo and D'Amigo will get the most ice time due to the fact that they played for Spott.

Old
07-09-2013, 04:49 PM
kilgro
Thank you Burke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Passenger View Post
i think he makes the big club or is packaged in a deal before the start of the season. doesn't he have to pass through waivers next year?

Old
07-09-2013, 05:22 PM
showtime8

As it stands right now with the amount of players signed, the Marlies would have almost enough guys to skate 5 full lines upfront and a 3 sets of defencemen.

*In no particular set-up other than just showing you what players are available for the Marlies.....

Forwards

D’Amigo – Ashton – Leivo
Ryan – Ross – McKegg
Devane – Carrick – Abott
Broll – Crescenzi – Smith
Colborne – Biggs

Defence

MacWilliam – Percy
Nilsson – Granberg
Blacker – Marshall

Goalies

Sparks
MacIntryre

* This looks like a very young team. The oldest player upfront would be Trevor Smith if he started the season with the Marlies at the age of 28. Marshall would be the oldest on the back-end at the age of 24.

You have to think that the Leafs are going to sign 2 or 3 veterans to come in and guide these guys along. So it becomes a tough decision as to what you do with the assets on the team. You could have 2 guys upfront actually make the Leafs out of training camp. So you basically have to remove 3 spots from upfront and 1 on the back end.

How would you guys make up this team?

Old
07-09-2013, 05:49 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Passenger View Post
Not sure but I think Colborne is out of options or close to, as it relates to waivers and being called up?

Old
07-09-2013, 06:10 PM
TmlHockeyFan

I would like to see:

Biggs-McKegg-Leivo
Ashton-Zigomanis-Abbott
D'Amigo-Carrick-Devane
Broll-Crescenzi-Ross

Old
07-09-2013, 09:45 PM
BertCorbeau

So.. Who replaces Hamilton with the 'C' now? And who are going to be the alternates? It's a young team, so it could be an opportunity for one of our young prospects to step it up in a leadership role

Old
07-10-2013, 08:23 AM
SprDaVE

Is Zigomanis still part of the Leafs/Marlies organization?

Old
07-10-2013, 08:33 AM
BIitz
KeepingKlingberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
As it stands right now with the amount of players signed, the Marlies would have almost enough guys to skate 5 full lines upfront and a 3 sets of defencemen.

*In no particular set-up other than just showing you what players are available for the Marlies.....

Forwards

D’Amigo – Ashton – Leivo
Ryan – Ross – McKegg
Devane – Carrick – Abott
Broll – Crescenzi – Smith
Colborne – Biggs

Defence

MacWilliam – Percy
Nilsson – Granberg
Blacker – Marshall

Goalies

Sparks
MacIntryre

* This looks like a very young team. The oldest player upfront would be Trevor Smith if he started the season with the Marlies at the age of 28. Marshall would be the oldest on the back-end at the age of 24.

You have to think that the Leafs are going to sign 2 or 3 veterans to come in and guide these guys along. So it becomes a tough decision as to what you do with the assets on the team. You could have 2 guys upfront actually make the Leafs out of training camp. So you basically have to remove 3 spots from upfront and 1 on the back end.

How would you guys make up this team?
Ashton and Ross both don't play center, you can expect Mckegg to be with D'amigo on the second line, probably with Abbott as well. I'm fairly certain Zigomanis is still on the team and will play top line minutes with someone. I'm also pretty certain Ross will be on the fourth to start, Leivo may be on the 1st or 3rd, Carrick and Crezensci will probably be scratches.

Also I think Connolly is still on the team. We'll probably have Yeo on the blueline, same with Gysbers, same with Brennan, Holzer will also have a spot in the top 4.

Also, there's no way in hell Sparks is the starting goalie.

The only new players I see in a roster spot are Percy, Leivo, Biggs, maybe Macwilliam. Granberg Broll and Crezensi and Carrick will have to earn their minutes, and fast because there's going to be a fair amount of competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post
So.. Who replaces Hamilton with the 'C' now? And who are going to be the alternates? It's a young team, so it could be an opportunity for one of our young prospects to step it up in a leadership role
As much as I like to see that I'm assuming it'll be a career AHLer. Almost all AHL teams do this as they can't have their captain constantly moving up and down. I'd probably say Zigomanis if he is still on the team. For one of the younger guys I could see Holzer with an A.

It's a shame we lost Acton. Probably my favorite baby Leaf who could have been a C next year.

Last edited by BIitz: 07-10-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old
07-10-2013, 08:43 AM
416Leafer

Expect a tough year for the Marlies. I have a bit more faith in the blueline, as Percy, Granberg, and MacWilliam may all make pretty smooth transitions. Granberg has been playing against men already, MacWilliam has played against older players as well, and Percy has already shown to be strong at the AHL level in the past.

But last year the Marlies struggled without Aucoin and Kadri, now Hamilton is gone, and likely two out of Colborne/Ashton/D'Amigo will be up with the Leafs.

McKegg, Leivo, Ross, Biggs, etc will be getting bigger minutes, while Abbot and Smith try and provide a bit more veteran leadership up front. I can definitely see a less smooth transition for a couple of these guys compared to the blueline.

Old
07-10-2013, 08:46 AM
BIitz
KeepingKlingberg

My lines would probably be:

Ashton-Connolly/Zigomanis-Connolly/Zigomanis
D'Amigo-Kegger-Abbott
Ryan-?-Biggs
Ross-?-Devane

Wasn't sure where to fit Leivo, he'll be in there somewhere though.

Marshall-Holzer
Yeo-Gysbers
Percy-Blacker

Brennan would probably be top pairing if he's here. Macwilliam Granberg and anyone else will battle to be 7th defender. A lot of spots open in bottom 6 for centers as I'm not too familiar with their center situation at the moment, and a lot can change with a new coach.

Old
07-10-2013, 09:07 AM
Terrence

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIitz View Post
Ashton and Ross both don't play center, you can expect Mckegg to be with D'amigo on the second line, probably with Abbott as well. I'm fairly certain Zigomanis is still on the team and will play top line minutes with someone. I'm also pretty certain Ross will be on the fourth to start, Leivo may be on the 1st or 3rd, Carrick and Crezensci will probably be scratches.

Also I think Connolly is still on the team. We'll probably have Yeo on the blueline, same with Gysbers, same with Brennan, Holzer will also have a spot in the top 4.

The only new players I see in a roster spot are Percy, Leivo, Biggs, maybe Macwilliam. Granberg Broll and Crezensi and Carrick will have to earn their minutes, and fast because there's going to be a fair amount of competition.

As much as I like to see that I'm assuming it'll be a career AHLer. Almost all AHL teams do this as they can't have their captain constantly moving up and down. I'd probably say Zigomanis if he is still on the team, or Mike Mottau. For one of the younger guys I could see Holzer with an A.

It's a shame we lost Acton. Probably my favorite baby Leaf who could have been a C next year.
Don't think Connolly is still here. His contract expired and he might be looking for an NHL team to give him a shot somewhere. Mottau also got signed by the Panthers. Not sure about Zigomanis and Yeo. I also think Trevor Smith signed a one-way. Don't really know a lot about him, but him signing a one-way contract might indicate that he could make the Leafs out of camp.

If I had to guess on line combos, mine would probably go like this (I'll asume Colborne and Brennan make the team out of camp, but probably one of D'Amigo/Smith/Ashton will if the Leafs don't sign another forward)

Leivo - Zigomanis- Ashton
D'Amigo - McKegg - Abbott
Ross - Smith - Biggs
Devane - Carrick - Ryan
Broll/Crescenzi

Marshall - Blacker
Percy - Holzer
MacWilliam - Granberg
Yeo - Gysbers

MacIntyre
Sparks

Idk. It's really a crapshoot though. Spott will almost certainly set the line combos a little differently than Eakins did.

Edit: Damn, we're all forgetting Lasch. I think he'll beat out Biggs for ice-time.

Edit: Guess not.

Last edited by Terrence: 07-10-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old
07-10-2013, 09:09 AM
BIitz
KeepingKlingberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence View Post
Don't think Connolly is still here. His contract expired and he might be looking for an NHL team to give him a shot somewhere. Mottau also got signed by the Panthers. Not sure about Zigomanis and Yeo. I also think Trevor Smith signed a one-way. Don't really know a lot about him, but him signing a one-way contract might indicate that he could make the Leafs out of camp.

If I had to guess on line combos, mine would probably go like this (I'll asume Colborne and Brennan make the team out of camp, but probably one of D'Amigo/Smith will if the Leafs don't sign another forward)

Leivo - Zigomanis- Ashton
D'Amigo - McKegg - Abbott
Ross - Smith - Biggs
Devane - Carrick - Ryan
Broll/Crecenzi

Marshall - Blacker
Percy - Holzer
MacWilliam - Granberg/Yeo
Gysbers

Idk. It's really a crapshoot though. Spott will almost certainly set the line combos a little differently than Eakins did.
Connolly left? Could have sworn we still had a year of him. Also I wasn't sure about Yeo or Zigo, but I'd assume if they were here they'd have a spot. I also didn't include Smith cause I knew nothing about him.

Solid lines, I'm really going to miss Acton.

Old
07-10-2013, 09:22 AM
showtime8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIitz View Post

As much as I like to see that I'm assuming it'll be a career AHLer. Almost all AHL teams do this as they can't have their captain constantly moving up and down. I'd probably say Zigomanis if he is still on the team. For one of the younger guys I could see Holzer with an A.

Woah, easy now. I even put a "*" saying that it was in no particular order and that I was listing all the guys that were signed.

Zigomanis is a free agent right now. The same goes with Yeo, Gysbers, Mottau and Ranger.

I would love to see Zigomanis back with the Marlies, but I'm unsure of the AHL rule about development. He might be cutting it close with the amount of professional games he's played.

Old
07-10-2013, 09:23 AM
BIitz
KeepingKlingberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
Woah, easy now. I even put a "*" saying that it was in no particular order and that I was listing all the guys that were signed.

Zigomanis is a free agent right now. The same goes with Yeo, Gysbers, Mottau and Ranger.

I would love to see Zigomanis back with the Marlies, but I'm unsure of the AHL rule about development. He might be cutting it close with the amount of professional games he's played.
Easy now? I was just throwing out some input, which you asked for.

I'm sure if they don't get re-signed they'd find some other AHL filler player.

Closed Thread