HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[WPG/MIN] Devin Setoguchi to Winnipeg for 2014 2nd round pick

Old
07-05-2013, 09:10 PM
salty justice

vCash: 500
What a deal for the Jets!! Minny probably couldn't keep him with all the money they blew on Koivu and Heatley.

salty justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:12 PM
idrinkalone

yankick is my favorite orange.

idrinkalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:32 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKL View Post
Getting only a 2nd makes sense? It's not like we had to move him. If we kept him, he gets a 1st at the deadline easy, if not more.
His stock was plummeting fast. And the only time he was effective was when he was teamed up with Cullen. Makes no sense to hang onto a streaky, lost player out there till the trade deadline hoping someone is desperate enough to give up a 1st for him.

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:34 PM
Roof Daddy

Good job by the Jets. Wanted this guy on the Oilers 3rd line, thought we would have traded 37th at the draft for him. Not sure why Minny would move him now when they could keep him for 60 games and get as good, if not better return for him at the trade deadline.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:36 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by salty justice View Post
What a deal for the Jets!! Minny probably couldn't keep him with all the money they blew on Koivu and Heatley.
No, Minnesota's offense couldn't afford his streakiness anymore. When his game is on... it's really on, but when his game is off... he's completely invisible!

TaLoN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:37 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
His stock was plummeting fast. And the only time he was effective was when he was teamed up with Cullen. Makes no sense to hang onto a streaky, lost player out there till the trade deadline hoping someone is desperate enough to give up a 1st for him.
Toronto thought a streaky player that plays a similar style was worth 7 years and 36.75 million. A guy with wheels, size and grit who can pot 20 will always have a market.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:43 PM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Quote:
At the end of the season, 20 goals=20 goals regardless of whether you got 10 in 20 games, then 10 in the other 60, versus getting one every four games.

Tyler Kennedy got a 2nd, and Setoguchi is worth more than Tyler Kennedy. It's obvious that Fletcher's plan was to ditch Seto so he could snag Cooke before anyone else did, and it was a poor plan. Yes, Seto was worth more than just a 2nd, and no, the difference between Cooke and another bottom sixer is not worth missing out on what more we could have had. My crystal ball says Seto would have gotten more at the deadline even if he was underperforming, because that's the nature of the deadline.

Basically, this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
Toronto thought a streaky player that plays a similar style was worth 7 years and 36.75 million. A guy with wheels, size and grit who can pot 20 will always have a market.

AKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:57 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKL View Post
At the end of the season, 20 goals=20 goals regardless of whether you got 10 in 20 games, then 10 in the other 60, versus getting one every four games.

Tyler Kennedy got a 2nd, and Setoguchi is worth more than Tyler Kennedy. It's obvious that Fletcher's plan was to ditch Seto so he could snag Cooke before anyone else did, and it was a poor plan. Yes, Seto was worth more than just a 2nd, and no, the difference between Cooke and another bottom sixer is not worth missing out on what more we could have had. My crystal ball says Seto would have gotten more at the deadline even if he was underperforming, because that's the nature of the deadline.

Basically, this:
Yes, that is the nature of the deadline. But it's no reason to keep an underperforming player for over half a season longer. You want to try and improve. And there is no guarantee that you'd get that 1st. And what happens if he gets hurt and we couldn't move him at all?

Without Cullen, he was lost. Completely lost. Zero impact.

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 10:00 PM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Quote:
Yes, that is the nature of the deadline. But it's no reason to keep an underperforming player for over half a season longer. You want to try and improve. And there is no guarantee that you'd get that 1st. And what happens if he gets hurt and we couldn't move him at all?

Without Cullen, he was lost. Completely lost. Zero impact.
Yeah, I'm not buying that. When Heatley can't play top six minutes, and the young kids just aren't cutting it, you're going to wish we had Setoguchi for that half a season. He scored 20 goals before he played with Cullen and I bet he'll do it again. He doesn't need Cullen to hold his hand up the ice. You act like he's not even an NHL player without Cullen. EVERYONE started off poorly last year except our top line.

AKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 10:40 PM
oligod

Wow, i tough Seto had more value than that. Its true that he is ufa at the end the the year.

oligod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 10:45 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

What a stupid trade by Fletcher. You just gave away 20-25 goals, and 150 hits FOR NOTHING!!!!! And what did you replace him with? Why, one of my most hated players in Matt ****ing Cooke!!! Oh, yeah, I'm sure our already crap defense will be so much better now that you've replaced Gilbert with Keith ****ing Ballard, and didn't help it out by trading Seto for some help on the back end. What a **** day, just pathetic.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 10:47 PM
Aela*
#MeatisMurder

Send a message via Skype™ to Aela*
Quite happy with this, I like Seto and think he still has a lot of potential, he'll be able to fit in nicely as well. It's already a good deal and has the potential to be a big steal if he becomes more consistent, reaches his potential, or if we pick up a #1C to bump Little down so he can feed those guys and do most of the heavy lifting.

Aela* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 11:27 PM
ToursLepantoVienna

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
...Could anyone who knows Seto better give us a quick lowdown?
Great wrist shot. Excellent speed. Can hit, but doesn't always feature it in his play. Not a puck-possession player; more a find-open-ice for the shot guy. Defensively lost at times. As many have noted, inconsistency/streakiness is his major shortcoming.

Still think he will fully exploit his talents at some point, but his window is closing. If he can't get amped for that rabid Jets crowd, I don't see much upside with his next team.

All that said, I think he's a terrific addition to one of my favorite teams. The risk is well worth a 2nd.

ToursLepantoVienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 11:29 PM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
Quote:
Originally Posted by oligod View Post
Wow, i tough Seto had more value than that. Its true that he is ufa at the end the the year.
http://capgeek.com/player/133

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 11:31 PM
ToursLepantoVienna

Don't understand the comparisons to Clarkson. Not remotely the same player.

ToursLepantoVienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 11:34 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Judging by his videos he's exactly the player we need. Right hand shot, decent one-timer(not a single Jets forward has a good one, they all use wristers), fast to keep up with Kane, good on the PP, isn't afraid to go to the net.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 11:46 PM
Pongs21

Soo stoked about this trade!

Pongs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 11:47 PM
Dan K211
Jaws

He is a one dimensional player with tunnel vision. He needs a good setup centerman and defensive linemates to succeed. I don't think on ice vision will suddenly develop. Still worth the potential of a 2nd rounder. Hopefully for WPG he plays hard for his next contract.

Dan K211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 11:50 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan K211 View Post
He is a one dimensional player with tunnel vision. He needs a good setup centerman and defensive linemates to succeed. I don't think on ice vision will suddenly develop. Still worth the potential of a 2nd rounder. Hopefully for WPG he plays hard for his next contract.
That's what worries Jets fans, Kane is exactly the same, and Jokinen his most likely linemate isn't much better. Odds are Scheifele will center them.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 12:49 AM
Stump

Certainly not a blockbuster but I'd give a 2nd rounder every day for Setoguchi. Quality deal for the Jets.

Stump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 12:56 AM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Frolik + Setoguchi is a huge upgrade over Miettenen and Wellwood.
Exactly what I was thinking. Miettinen and Wellwood are guys the Jets really need to move away from. Setoguchi is a legit top-six right wing that the Jets have needed.

I think it's a good trade for both but I like it even more for Winnipeg than for Minnesota. I'm curious to see what happens in Minnesota as far as other moves. Despite what everyone says about the two years Setoguchi was there, he wasn't that bad of a player and was on pace for some good point totals if last year had been a full season. He's a guy I'm confident can consistently score 20 goals a year. 30 however, maybe not. I still think it was a lot to do with Thornton and Marleau that he broke the 30-goal mark in the first place in San Jose.

This trade gives the Jets four good top-six wingers who can all put the puck in the net. I didn't realize how good their offense looks now. They're really only one good center away from being pretty lethal. They have size and skill in that top-six. For a second Setoguchi addresses a big need. It's a pretty good return for the Wild too but I still say they'll miss his offense if they don't bring in another top-six winger. Zucker or Coyle aren't ready for that kind of production IMO.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 01:07 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Vacuum value is good, but I can't imagine Wpg's centers will maximize Seto's skillset. I think it'll be a real short term stint with the Jets.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 01:13 AM
Anthony
HFBoards Sponsor

This trade makes up for Winnipeg doing absolutely nothing on opening day of free agency.

Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 01:20 AM
spiny norman
Global Moderator
Dinsdale !!!

Good deal for the Jets.

spiny norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 02:21 AM
Sharppi
Nothing to see here

2nd rounder for a year of Seto. I'm fine with this.

Sharppi is offline   Reply With Quote